• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Future Schedule

Spanky2 said:
The UM football schedule is entering a time of de-emphasis, probably necessary resulting from decreases in enrollment.

This statement is completely false on the schedule and the effect of enrollment on the schedule.

grizindabox said:
Spanky2 said:
The UM football schedule is entering a time of de-emphasis, probably necessary resulting from decreases in enrollment.

This statement is completely false on the schedule and the effect of enrollment on the schedule.
I suppose one could argue that the UM schedule is already in a time of de-emphasis as we are in the Big Sky Conference. Now, with the addition of Dixie State, Central Washington, Monmouth, Butler, I wouldn’t think they project an image of anything other than de-emphasis.
Is there a reason other than enrollment? Maybe fan appeal? I wouldn’t think so.

Griz need FCS wins to achieve their goals...nothing more, nothing less. I don't care who those teams are. FBS games don't matter, and DII games matter less. Pure FCS schedules and wins therein produce playoffs and route to RTD.

SoldierGriz said:
Griz need FCS wins to achieve their goals...nothing more, nothing less. I don't care who those teams are. FBS games don't matter, and DII games matter less. Pure FCS schedules and wins therein produce playoffs and route to RTD.

BINGO!!!!!

Paytonlives said:
SoldierGriz said:

BINGO!!!!!

Very true with an exception. If the FCS teams are cupcakes and we win by blowouts each time, what will happen when we reach the playoffs? I mean when we play the good teams and it's a one and done scenario?
I do not like games where we are favored to blow the team out of the stadium and we do. Once in awhile it is ok, but not too often. I do like to win big against' supposedly good teams. (I like to blow out EW and MSU always)
When you play the best it is a measuring tool to see how you match up IMO.

Paytonlives said:
SoldierGriz said:
BINGO!!!!!
+1 :thumb:

Yep, it really is as simple as that.

Not always exciting? So what. Forget "Build it, and they will come" ... it's "Win, and they will come."

The first year the Griz won the NC, they played OOC:
D2 Cal-Davis
D2 Eastern New Mexico
D2 Minnesota-Duluth
FBS Washington State

The last year the Griz won the NC, they played OOC:

Limited Scholarship Cal Poly
Limited Scholarship St. Mary's
D2 Western Washington
FBS Hawaii

I don't get the complaints on the Griz schedule - if you want more than 5 home games (especially if you want 7) you have to play the Dixie States, CWU's etc of the world.

reinell30 said:
Paytonlives said:
SoldierGriz said:

BINGO!!!!!

Very true with an exception. If the FCS teams are cupcakes and we win by blowouts each time, what will happen when we reach the playoffs? I mean when we play the good teams and it's a one and done scenario?
I do not like games where we are favored to blow the team out of the stadium and we do. Once in awhile it is ok, but not too often. I do like to win big against' supposedly good teams. (I like to blow out EW and MSU always)

Based on the history I posted above, win the NC...

You're welcome

reinell30 said:
Paytonlives said:
SoldierGriz said:

BINGO!!!!!

I’m with soldier and Paytonlives. Win FCS games and get home playoffs in WA Griz. Why should Haslem care if we blow them out? Just because it doesn’t entertain us doesn’t mean people won’t attend the game, and when it gets us a home playoff game, you bet your ass people will watch/attend those.

If you’re worried about the lack of competition in those games, let that come from conference games. With how tough the conf. is, we are sure to have a few difficult games.

reinell30 said:
Paytonlives said:
SoldierGriz said:

BINGO!!!!!

With this years schedule, if the Griz manage to win and get into the playoffs, whomever we play better take note. There will be no 'oh, God, that's a top ten or twenty team.' There would be, IMO, no blinking on the part of the Griz, just another game they have become accustomed to playing. And if any playoff games are in WGS, it is their team/coaches who need to swallow hard and take a deep breath.

tourist said:
reinell30 said:
Paytonlives said:
SoldierGriz said:

BINGO!!!!!

With this years schedule, if the Griz manage to win and get into the playoffs, whomever we play better take note. There will be no 'oh, God, that's a top ten or twenty team.' There would be, IMO, no blinking on the part of the Griz, just another game they have become accustomed to playing. And if any playoff games are in WGS, it is their team/coaches who need to swallow hard and take a deep breath.

that's what she said

I'm surprised people are still thinking the best path back to the playoffs is scheduling all fcs cupcakes. 2017 should have busted that myth when the Griz went 7-4 and missed the playoffs while 5 teams got at large bids with the same record - including NAU whom the Griz beat.

AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
Watching people bitch and whine. You?
You have a demented definition of "bitching and whining" when "predominantly unexciting" meets your threshold. Try adding something instead of anointing yourself as the judge. If you have an argument about how exciting it is, let's hear it.

You are right. Everyone can complain all they want about a FCS team scheduling other FCS teams.

Let me put it this way, box: they can schedule whomever they’d like but there’s not a single game on that list that will make me get on a plane and fly to Missoula for a game. Not bitching. Fact. Because I only fly first class and dine at the finest restaurants...I can’t be spending my $2500 to see us play Dixie f***[*] State.

I only fly coach, but pretty much feel the same way. except there are worse things in life than a fall weekend in Missoula, football game, Wa-Griz, catch up with old friends, cupcakes at Bernice's, walk along the river, time with family. I'm weakening already.

mcg said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
kemajic said:
You have a demented definition of "bitching and whining" when "predominantly unexciting" meets your threshold. Try adding something instead of anointing yourself as the judge. If you have an argument about how exciting it is, let's hear it.

You are right. Everyone can complain all they want about a FCS team scheduling other FCS teams.

Let me put it this way, box: they can schedule whomever they’d like but there’s not a single game on that list that will make me get on a plane and fly to Missoula for a game. Not bitching. Fact. Because I only fly first class and dine at the finest restaurants...I can’t be spending my $2500 to see us play Dixie f***[*] State.

I only fly coach, but pretty much feel the same way. except there are worse things in life than a fall weekend in Missoula, football game, Wa-Griz, catch up with old friends, cupcakes at Bernice's, walk along the river, time with family. I'm weakening already.

Well, you almost had me mcg, but they just started ripping up the last/only original Hoagieville, so it’s gonna take a more than a cupcake at Bernice’s to get me to spend my hard earned dolla.

Grizbeer said:
I'm surprised people are still thinking the best path back to the playoffs is scheduling all fcs cupcakes. 2017 should have busted that myth when the Griz went 7-4 and missed the playoffs while 5 teams got at large bids with the same record - including NAU whom the Griz beat.

IF you’re gonna schedule cupcakes you’d better eat them ALL.

Grizbeer said:

Actually what it tells me is that a team with cupcakes on the schedule needs to be better than 7-4 and beat some noncupcakes.

reinell30 said:
Paytonlives said:
SoldierGriz said:

BINGO!!!!!

Good teams play cupcakes just like average teams do. Scheduling and beating cupcakes is not what leads to one and done, being not as good as the other playoff team(s) leads to this. In FCS, you need to win games to get into the playoffs and to win the Championship you need to be a good team...these things are not necessarily inclusive, but 1 does not happen without the other.

Spanky2 said:
grizindabox said:
Spanky2 said:

I suppose one could argue that the UM schedule is already in a time of de-emphasis as we are in the Big Sky Conference. Now, with the addition of Dixie State, Central Washington, Monmouth, Butler, I wouldn’t think they project an image of anything other than de-emphasis.
Is there a reason other than enrollment? Maybe fan appeal? I wouldn’t think so.

I will give you one reason....teams willing to travel to Missoula.

mcg said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
kemajic said:

I only fly in private jets, but I would be happy to fly to any of these games.

Back