• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Future Schedule

Spanky, running the table on an all FCS schedule and winning the BSC gets the Griz a top 4 seed guaranteed...if not top 2. That guarantees home playoff games. It's the path that led to most if not all of the Griz deep playoff runs in the past. It's the formula required now to RTD. Recruits like to win, that's what they like.

Soldier, 3 Star type recruits like to win, however, many care about who they are playing, not to mention the company they keep in a particular conference.

Spanky2 said:
Soldier, 3 Star type recruits like to win, however, many care about who they are playing, not to mention the company they keep in a particular conference.

So, Griz should seek move into SEC? Schedule Notre Dame? How about Clemson? Coastal Carolina? Sam Houston State? Schools from the Dakotas or Illinois? Who?

3 star recruits the Griz generally seek are from the West. Those recruits have a chance to play in the....West.

Why don't you open a booth in the champions center and ask the players if they would rather play specific teams in specific towns or conferences, or if they would rather win their conference, win playoff games at home, and go to Frisco?

Let us know what you find.

Doubtful if we are moving anywhere as we have passed the time of opportunity to change conferences.
I don’t understand your comment about playing in the West? No, I don’t suggest we should be playing Notre Dame or Clemson, however Wyoming or Utah State would be an improvement over Dixie State.
As for your comment about setting up a booth, I’ll leave that to you.

Spanky2 said:
Doubtful if we are moving anywhere as we have passed the time of opportunity to change conferences.
I don’t understand your comment about playing in the West? No, I don’t suggest we should be playing Notre Dame or Clemson, however Wyoming or Utah State would be an improvement over Dixie State.

Perhaps you could seek a position or internship in the ADs office to help them with the schedule. Seems you know the ins and outs of what recruits want and how to achieve RTD by playing irrelevant FBS games.

Or, you could quit bitching, get your ass in the stands, and watch Akem break Griz records on the path to RTD.

Spanky2 said:

But the likes of Wyoming or Utah State won't come to Missoula, so....

Spanky2 said:
So, you gentlemen seem to think it prepares our team by playing cream puff opponents leading up to the play offs? Let me guess——no problem, right?

I see you keep ignoring the schedules that the Griz played the two years they won the National Championship...

(Hint: Griz OOC schedule now is tougher)

dbackjon said:
The first year the Griz won the NC, they played OOC:
D2 Cal-Davis
D2 Eastern New Mexico
D2 Minnesota-Duluth
FBS Washington State

The last year the Griz won the NC, they played OOC:

Limited Scholarship Cal Poly
Limited Scholarship St. Mary's
D2 Western Washington
FBS Hawaii

I don't get the complaints on the Griz schedule - if you want more than 5 home games (especially if you want 7) you have to play the Dixie States, CWU's etc of the world.

Quoting for Spanky2

dbackjon said:
Spanky2 said:
So, you gentlemen seem to think it prepares our team by playing cream puff opponents leading up to the play offs? Let me guess——no problem, right?

I see you keep ignoring the schedules that the Griz played the two years they won the National Championship...

(Hint: Griz OOC schedule now is tougher)
Not to mention the last two times we made the National Championship game we played a DII in our schedule.

2008 - Central Washington
2009 - Western State

The last time we made the Semis, we played a DII.
2011 - Western Oregon

It sure seems like, historically, the key to our successful seasons has been playing a DII team. :lol:

I'm not gonna dunk on spanky too much, since I love it when we play a challenging schedule, including when we play a good FBS team.

That said, it's unrealistic to expect the AD to schedule a full DI schedule with the likes of Wyoming and Utah State every year, while also operating as an FCS school in the Western US that makes as much at home games as we do.

uofmman1122 said:
I'm not gonna dunk on spanky too much, since I love it when we play a challenging schedule, including when we play a good FBS team.

That said, it's unrealistic to expect the AD to schedule a full DI schedule with the likes of Wyoming and Utah State every year, while also operating as an FCS school in the Western US that makes as much at home games as we do.
Just to reinforce that point: For the 2017 season (official NCAA attendace stats for 2018 are not up yet), the Griz averaged 23,535 attendance for their home games. Wyoming and Utah State averaged 20,614 and 20,108, respectively. Realistically, attendance would go up if either FBS team came to WaGriz ... maybe a lot. Conversely, a home game against the FCS Griz would almost certainly hurt attendance at either Wyoming or USU.

Spanky2 said:

I don't agree. Top recruits generally don't care who is on the schedule. They want to be in a winning program, make the playoffs and have a good chance of progressing. They also like playing in front of a big home crowd. Recruits commit all the time before future schedules are even out.

IdaGriz01 said:
uofmman1122 said:

Just to reinforce that point: For the 2017 season (official NCAA attendace stats for 2018 are not up yet), the Griz averaged 23,535 attendance for their home games. Wyoming and Utah State averaged 20,614 and 20,108, respectively. Realistically, attendance would go up if either FBS team came to WaGriz ... maybe a lot. Conversely, a home game against the FCS Griz would almost certainly hurt attendance at either Wyoming or USU.

2017 attendance was down almost 2,000 per game from the prior year.

Feel free to show any quotes of coaches saying a team has to play only the best, top and touch teams, and can't player any lesser teams, to improve or be the best.

DeCuire said a few years ago, after non-conference play and multiple losses, that the non-conference schedule had probably been too tough.

PlayerRep said:
Feel free to show any quotes of coaches saying a team has to play only the best, top and touch teams, and can't player any lesser teams, to improve or be the best.

DeCuire said a few years ago, after non-conference play and multiple losses, that the non-conference schedule had probably been too tough.
I would bet the farm that DeCuire didn’t say the non conference games lowered the overall quality of his team.

Spanky2 said:
PlayerRep said:

I would bet the farm that DeCuire didn’t say the non conference games lowered the overall quality of his team.

*Avoids every single point made on this page* :D :D

PlayerRep said:
IdaGriz01 said:
uofmman1122 said:

Yep. But a down year for Griz attendance was still about 3000 more than those two FBS venues. And that was a year when both of them were good enough (barely) to go to bowl games.

IdaGriz01 said:
PlayerRep said:
IdaGriz01 said:
uofmman1122 said:

Yep. But a down year for Griz attendance was still about 3000 more than those two FBS venues. And that was a year when both of them were good enough (barely) to go to bowl games.

What was the attendance in Laramie the year we played them(and should have beat them!)?

IdaGriz01 said:
PlayerRep said:
IdaGriz01 said:
uofmman1122 said:

Going back to your point about a "home game against the FCS Griz would almost certainly hurt attendance at either Wyoming or USU", I'm not sure that's very accurate. Since our game with Wyoming in 2015, that game is Wyoming's 3rd-highest attended game in 4 years, and was Wyoming's highest-attended game in 2014. It has also been Wyoming's highest-attended home opener as well, beating out the Washington State opener in 2018 (24,131). Pretty impressive for an FCS program to draw larger crowd numbers at an FBS venue than visiting FBS programs do.

1. vs Oregon (2017) - 29,139
2. vs Air Force (2016) - 26,623
3. vs Montana (2014) - 25,243
4. vs Washington State (2018) - 24,131
5. vs #13 Boise State (2016) - 24,023
6. vs San Diego State (2016) - 24,001
7. vs North Dakota (2015) - 23,669
8. vs Colorado State (2017) - 22,840
9. vs Boise State (2018) - 22,271
10. vs Texas State (2017) - 21,784

Well, the playoffs group will likely attack me, but it would be positive for both Wyoming and Montana to negotiate a home and home series.

Back