• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Future Schedule

tourist said:
cclarkblues said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Looks like I got another “home” game to go to in 2025. Only a 280 mile drive to Western Carolina. That’s right next door practically.

Assuming you are still occupying this particular plane of existence of course.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Six years. Yes, that is a questionable time frame for some of us.

True, tomorrow is never promised but I hope I can atleast make it to 50 :D

IdaGriz01 said:
Kent Haslam: "They have excellent facilities and a great football tradition at St. George, so that will be a good regional matchup for us."
Got to wondering about this key statement. Turns out, there's some accuracy, and a whole lot of blowing smoke here. From reports I found, there facilities are supposedly pretty good. So, fair enough.

But as for “football tradition” … not so much. According to NCAA stats, Dixie State is 44-97 in D-II football since the 2006 season (as far back as the table goes). There best finish was 4th in the RMAC last year. Most years have been much worse than that.

The end of Haslam’s statement sums up the whole thing: By the time the Griz play Dixie, they will be a full-fledged Division I program. As such, they will be one of only a handful of FCS football programs in the region that are not already part of the Big Sky.
As this post suggests, I'm not all that happy about Dixie State -- whose only football tradition is as a loser (two barely winning seasons in D-II since 2006). But they will be D-I when the Griz play them, so I'm okay with that. I just wish we could, once and for all, get the damn D-II opponents off the schedule. Hopefully, none of that will show up to fill the remaining TBD slots.

With that being said ...at the end of the day, it's still all about the money. In a home-and-home OOC deal, the Griz can promise some good $$$, but even that gets hammered by travel costs if you bring in a team from (say) Virginia or even Texas. And how many opponents can boast a big enough home attendance to guarantee a good payday for the Griz? Damn few. And those that do have good crowds -- say a James Madison or a top HBCU -- have plenty of much closer choices for their OOC schedules. It all comes down to the fact that UM simply does not have enough reasonably close FCS opponents to choose from for its OOC schedule. In the end, Dixie is a "cheap date" that we're stuck with.

IdaGriz01 said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Kent Haslam: "They have excellent facilities and a great football tradition at St. George, so that will be a good regional matchup for us."
Got to wondering about this key statement. Turns out, there's some accuracy, and a whole lot of blowing smoke here. From reports I found, there facilities are supposedly pretty good. So, fair enough.

But as for “football tradition” … not so much. According to NCAA stats, Dixie State is 44-97 in D-II football since the 2006 season (as far back as the table goes). There best finish was 4th in the RMAC last year. Most years have been much worse than that.

The end of Haslam’s statement sums up the whole thing: By the time the Griz play Dixie, they will be a full-fledged Division I program. As such, they will be one of only a handful of FCS football programs in the region that are not already part of the Big Sky.
As this post suggests, I'm not all that happy about Dixie State -- whose only football tradition is as a loser (two barely winning seasons in D-II since 2006). But they will be D-I when the Griz play them, so I'm okay with that. I just wish we could, once and for all, get the damn D-II opponents off the schedule. Hopefully, none of that will show up to fill the remaining TBD slots.

With that being said ...at the end of the day, it's still all about the money. In a home-and-home OOC deal, the Griz can promise some good $$$, but even that gets hammered by travel costs if you bring in a team from (say) Virginia or even Texas. And how many opponents can boast a big enough home attendance to guarantee a good payday for the Griz? Damn few. And those that do have good crowds -- say a James Madison or a top HBCU -- have plenty of much closer choices for their OOC schedules. It all comes down to the fact that UM simply does not have enough reasonably close FCS opponents to choose from for its OOC schedule. In the end, Dixie is a "cheap date" that we're stuck with.
All true and justified. Doesn't make it exciting.

kemajic said:
IdaGriz01 said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Watching UM play Dixie State is as exciting as watching a Safeway truck unload.

AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
Watching people bitch and whine. You?
You have a demented definition of "bitching and whining" when "predominantly unexciting" meets your threshold. Try adding something instead of anointing yourself as the judge. If you have an argument about how exciting it is, let's hear it.

You are right. Everyone can complain all they want about a FCS team scheduling other FCS teams.

Let me put it this way, box: they can schedule whomever they’d like but there’s not a single game on that list that will make me get on a plane and fly to Missoula for a game. Not bitching. Fact. Because I only fly first class and dine at the finest restaurants...I can’t be spending my $2500 to see us play Dixie f***[*] State.

You are not going to see many regularly scheduled games in person for the near future.

I’ve also found the correlation between prowess as an e-griz poster and actual attendance at games interesting...... :coffee:

WGS isn't 2,000 miles away for most Griz fans. If all Griz home games were scheduled to be in AT&T Stadium down yonder in the Dallas Metro Area, how much 'attendance prowess' would us Montana residents show by flying there six times each fall, plus playoff games?

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
kemajic said:
You have a demented definition of "bitching and whining" when "predominantly unexciting" meets your threshold. Try adding something instead of anointing yourself as the judge. If you have an argument about how exciting it is, let's hear it.

You are right. Everyone can complain all they want about a FCS team scheduling other FCS teams.

Let me put it this way, box: they can schedule whomever they’d like but there’s not a single game on that list that will make me get on a plane and fly to Missoula for a game. Not bitching. Fact. Because I only fly first class and dine at the finest restaurants...I can’t be spending my $2500 to see us play Dixie f***[*] State.

You are not going to see many regularly scheduled games in person for the near future.

My point exactly. And Missoula and Griz Nation will be the worse for it.

Raider said:
I’ve also found the correlation between prowess as an e-griz poster and actual attendance at games interesting...... :coffee:

Right??

Because, fer shere the only way to know anything about Griz football is to have ones nose so far up Hauck’s ass that it’s break off if he turned sharp.

AZGrizFan said:
Raider said:

Right??

Because, fer shere the only way to know anything about Griz football is to have ones nose so far up Hauck’s ass that it’s break off if he turned sharp.

:lol:

Exactly the post/poster I expected. This place never, ever disappoints.

I know it's a little hard to tell right now, but I think we could seriously win the conference in 2020. We got a very favorable schedule. No Weber, no UC Davis, no PSU who will be a playoff team by 2020, cats at home. Eastern will be a tough one on the road but to be brutally honest, that should be the only game we lose in 2020.

Spanky2 said:
kemajic said:
IdaGriz01 said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Watching UM play Dixie State is as exciting as watching a Safeway truck unload.

Just me, or do you sound like the voice if experience Spanky? :lol:

make a parking lot out of the football stadium and concentrate on basketball.

Little doubt this would be the wise economic (and athletic success) decision.

*this is not to suggest I support such a decision

Griz til I die said:
I know it's a little hard to tell right now, but I think we could seriously win the conference in 2020. We got a very favorable schedule. No Weber, no UC Davis, no PSU who will be a playoff team by 2020, cats at home. Eastern will be a tough one on the road but to be brutally honest, that should be the only game we lose in 2020.

I agree with most of this. I said all along last year was going to be rough, and 2019 will be rough, but you'll have a good chance to compete for the Big Sky title on 2020 - assuming Hauck is able to improved the team and the don't regress.

Dixie State is now on the UM football schedule and is rumored to become a member of the Big Sky Conference.
What school will Haslam schedule next? Will Rocky Mountain College soon appear on the UM future schedule? Years ago, UM played Wyoming in Billings. Now, Rocky would fit the mold of a Haslam opponent.

Raider said:
AZGrizFan said:
Raider said:

Right??

:lol:

Exactly the post/poster I expected. This place never, ever disappoints.

And you think I didn't know that? You're so obvious its obvious. :D :D

Schedule is quite vanilla. Wish we could have gotten some games against the MWC since we can’t schedule some top tier FCS games other than or Conferance games with Weber, EWU, and Davis.

GraniteGriz80 said:
Schedule is quite vanilla. Wish we could have gotten some games against the MWC since we can’t schedule some top tier FCS games other than or Conferance games with Weber, EWU, and Davis.

Still room for some to fill in

Spanky2 said:
Dixie State is now on the UM football schedule and is rumored to become a member of the Big Sky Conference.
What school will Haslam schedule next? Will Rocky Mountain College soon appear on the UM future schedule? Years ago, UM played Wyoming in Billings. Now, Rocky would fit the mold of a Haslam opponent.

There is no REAL rumor of Dixie State becoming a Big Sky member other than in poster's minds.

A Football affiliate at some point? Possible, if they show some success, but having a western OOC foe for all BSC teams is more beneficial.

Back