• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Future Schedule

Missoula223 said:
I’m with soldier and Paytonlives. Win FCS games and get home playoffs in WA Griz. Why should Haslem care if we blow them out? Just because it doesn’t entertain us doesn’t mean people won’t attend the game, and when it gets us a home playoff game, you bet your ass people will watch/attend those.

If you’re worried about the lack of competition in those games, let that come from conference games. With how tough the conf. is, we are sure to have a few difficult games.
Home playoff games typically have the poorest attendance of any home game.

Re. how tough the BSC is; it is not viewed that way by the outside world.

Sept. 28, 2008, WGS, CWU @ Montana. That piss poor Central Washington team v our mightly Griz.
Those that don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it. :roll: :roll: :roll:

kemajic said:
Missoula223 said:
I’m with soldier and Paytonlives. Win FCS games and get home playoffs in WA Griz. Why should Haslem care if we blow them out? Just because it doesn’t entertain us doesn’t mean people won’t attend the game, and when it gets us a home playoff game, you bet your ass people will watch/attend those.

If you’re worried about the lack of competition in those games, let that come from conference games. With how tough the conf. is, we are sure to have a few difficult games.

And yet, the stadium is electric despite the dip in attendance. Legends of the fall are indeed born in the winner-take-all games...RTD. FCS wins...top seed...play and win at home in the cold...charter planes to Frisco...hoist trophy...bring home goal post. Easy stuff, really. :)

tourist said:
Sept. 28, 2008, WGS, CWU @ Montana. That piss poor Central Washington team v our mightly Griz.
Those that don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I think it's possible that CWU might be the best team listed out of Butler, Dixie State & CWU

kemajic said:
Missoula223 said:

Didn't we just have a team in the NC? :? :?

kemajic said:
Missoula223 said:

Poorest attendance or not there will still be more than 20k fans that attend which is more than most, which is why we are favored and tend to get a home game if we get in.

It doesn’t matter if it is viewed as such. Everyone tends to drop a game somewhere, which makes Ls not sting as bad.

kemajic said:
Missoula223 said:

First round playoff games are on Thanksgiving weekend. School is shut down, students who would normally attend have gone home. That would explain why ONLY 20,000 or so show up. Would be interesting to see the home attendance figures for other playoff home teams.

tourist said:
kemajic said:
Missoula223 said:

First round playoff games are on Thanksgiving weekend. School is shut down, students who would normally attend have gone home. That would explain why ONLY 20,000 or so show up. Would be interesting to see the home attendance figures for other playoff home teams.

Uh, try closer to 15,000. It’s pathetic.

OOF! I really did not know it was that bad. But, then again it was the Delaney/Stitt era. I would look for a huge increase during the Second Coming of Hauck, hopefully starting this year.

So, you gentlemen seem to think it prepares our team by playing cream puff opponents leading up to the play offs? Let me guess——no problem, right?

Spanky2 said:
So, you gentlemen seem to think it prepares our team by playing cream puff opponents leading up to the play offs? Let me guess——no problem, right?

Gotta get to the playoffs. Non-conference losses don’t help that cause.

Spanky2 said:

My view is that playing a cream puff is better preparation than playing Oregon.

It isn’t necessary to play mostly very good or great teams to prepare for playoffs. Obviously, playing some tough teams is important.

Are you okay with having a bye week instead of playing a game? Which is better preparation for
the playoffs?

Do you think racking up losses against good teams is good preparation for the playoffs?

grizindabox said:
reinell30 said:
Paytonlives said:
SoldierGriz said:
Griz need FCS wins to achieve their goals...nothing more, nothing less. I don't care who those teams are. FBS games don't matter, and DII games matter less. Pure FCS schedules and wins therein produce playoffs and route to RTD.

BINGO!!!!!

Very true with an exception. If the FCS teams are cupcakes and we win by blowouts each time, what will happen when we reach the playoffs? I mean when we play the good teams and it's a one and done scenario?

Good teams play cupcakes just like average teams do. Scheduling and beating cupcakes is not what leads to one and done, being not as good as the other playoff team(s) leads to this. In FCS, you need to win games to get into the playoffs and to win the Championship you need to be a good team...these things are not necessarily inclusive, but 1 does not happen without the other.
Agree - the perceived strength of the program, plus a winning record, determines who gets the at large bids. Northern Iowa played an A-B-C schedule non-con last year, narrowly losing to UM on the road and getting beat at Iowa, while blowing out Hampton. They also had some in-conf top 25 wins, and made the playoffs at 6-5 (and won a playoff game).

You can have a cupcake on the schedule if you are a good team, but if you load up on them instead of a more balanced non-conf schedule it will hurt perception of the strength of the team.

And if you load up on cupcakes hurting attendance trying to pile up wins to make the playoffs - and it doesn't work -.then something needs to change.

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/attendance-at-montana-football-games-lowest-it-s-been-since/article_c1efc181-3f05-551c-8ed2-4e0e69f0b57f.html

PlayerRep said:
Spanky2 said:

It isn’t necessary to play mostly very good or great teams to prepare for playoffs. Obviously, playing some tough teams is important.

Are you okay with having a bye week instead of playing a game? Which is better preparation for
the playoffs?

Do you think racking up losses against good teams is good preparation for the playoffs?
Why do you think playing a cream puff is better preparation than playing Oregon? I think having a bye week prior to the playoffs can be good for the team. It depends on the strength of the schedule prior to the bye. Why do we have to accept that we will lose to good teams? I would rather see us schedule quality teams and improve, win or not, rather than schedule cream puffs just to get into the playoffs.

Spanky2 said:
PlayerRep said:
Spanky2 said:

the playoffs?

Why do you think playing a cream puff is better preparation than playing Oregon? I think having a bye week prior to the playoffs can be good for the team. It depends on the strength of the schedule prior to the bye. Why do we have to accept that we will lose to good teams? I would rather see us schedule quality teams and improve, win or not, rather than schedule cream puffs just to get into the playoffs.

So do that, then when we do lose, and don’t make playoffs, we can all call for the coaches head! :D

With the state of the university, revenue could come into play for the AD.

PAC 12= Pay Day
Cream Puff at home= Pay day
Cream puffs to get a home playoff game= pay day
good FCS opponents on the road= no pay day

With scheduling cream puffs ooc games, and playing a conference schedule where we play a grab bag of EWU, Weber, UCD, and MSU "assuming choate is really turning them arround" we should have at least 2 to 4 top 25 opponents every year.

Spanky2 said:
PlayerRep said:
Spanky2 said:

the playoffs?

Because, in all likelihood, Oregon will crush us. It will not be a game for long. It does little or no good to get crushed. Playing bigger, better, faster, more physical teams leads to more injuries, in my view.
Teams improve more in competitive games, not games against great teams that are way better.

Bye weeks occur during some seasons too. What do you think of those? How does having a bye week before the playoffs "improve" a team?

We should not accept that we will lose to good teams, but if we play too many good teams, or too many very good teams, we are going to lose to some of them. It is a rare Griz team that beats every single good team that it plays.

Scheduling all good or very good teams is not necessary to improve. You have a false premise. I don't know why of you think that the only or best way to improve to play all good or very good teams. That's just not true, in my experience, at least in football.

Scheduling all good teams doesn't help develop depth. Even last season, with all of the tough 4th quarters, no depth at qb was developed.

Scheduling oneself out of making the playoffs seems quite counter productive to scheduling to make and do well in the playoffs.

Do you think you have to lift hard every day, or each day you lift, to get stronger? I don't.

Do you think you have to run fast every time you run to get faster? I don't.

Do you think a football team improves for the playoffs if it loses players to injury, gets overly fatigued, etc.

Do you think a team gets better by going full speed in scrimmages for all or most of the practices?

Do you think a team improves by losing a bunch of tough games? I generally don't. Depends on how many, I suppose.

PlayerRep said:
Spanky2 said:
PlayerRep said:
Spanky2 said:

the playoffs?

Because, in all likelihood, Oregon will crush us. It will not be a game for long. It does little or no good to get crushed. Playing bigger, better, faster, more physical teams leads to more injuries, in my view.
Teams improve more in competitive games, not games against great teams that are way better.

Bye weeks occur during some seasons too. What do you think of those? How does having a bye week before the playoffs "improve" a team?

We should not accept that we will lose to good teams, but if we play too many good teams, or too many very good teams, we are going to lose to some of them. It is a rare Griz team that beats every single good team that it plays.

Scheduling all good or very good teams is not necessary to improve. You have a false premise. I don't know why of you think that the only or best way to improve to play all good or very good teams. That's just not true, in my experience, at least in football.

Scheduling all good teams doesn't help develop depth. Even last season, with all of the tough 4th quarters, no depth at qb was developed.

Scheduling oneself out of making the playoffs seems quite counter productive to scheduling to make and do well in the playoffs.

Do you think you have to lift hard every day, or each day you lift, to get stronger? I don't.

Do you think you have to run fast every time you run to get faster? I don't.

Do you think a football team improves for the playoffs if it loses players to injury, gets overly fatigued, etc.

Do you think a team gets better by going full speed in scrimmages for all or most of the practices?

Do you think a team improves by losing a bunch of tough games? I generally don't. Depends on how many, I suppose.
I don’t know this to be true, but I’ve heard players are injured less when they play teams with bigger, faster players.i don’t know about lifting, but do know you don’t have to run fast every time you run to get faster. Jim Thorpe is a good example. Some people have God Given talent, others don’t.
I believe teams improve by playing good teams on a regular basis as opposed to playing weak teams to rack up wins.
Another area we haven’t discussed is recruiting. Do you believe a borderline FBS recruit is aware of the teams that he will compete against if he commits to a particular school? Do you think it has any bearing on his decision?

Back