• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Some Ask a Taboo Question: Is America Overreacting to Coronavirus?

PlayerRep said:
Does anyone now why Bozeman/Gallatin has so many cases?

yes, it is because that is where your acquaintances from new york went. they passed it to a few folks, who passed it to a few more, etc, etc...

Golf "rules" from Golf Digest:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/golf-courses-across-the-country-continue-to-adapt-as-restrictions-pile-up

The Missoula CC and Larchmont seemed to have golfers when I biked by yesterday.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

yes, it is because that is where your acquaintances from new york went. they passed it to a few folks, who passed it to a few more, etc, etc...

None of our friends went or would go to a hotspot like Bozeman.

Hospital CEO mortgages his own house to get funds to buy supplies for hospital:

"And in South Miami, in a neighborhood surrounded by retirement homes, the president of a community hospital took out a $380,000 loan on his own house to secure the delivery of 1,000 test kits a week for the next few months.

With the hospital already over-extended from leasing the testing machine, Jack Michel, Larkin's president, took out a home equity line and made the $380,000 payment himself.

"It was not easy telling my wife," he said.

Those test kits allowed Larkin to open up its own drive-through clinic in the Miami neighborhood of Hialeah, with plans to expand in other parts of South Florida in the coming weeks. The hospital has received some blowback because it's charging $150 per test, but Michel defended the charge as a regrettable but necessary way to get more tests out to the public.

He said many people are capable of, and willing to, pay the fee, so he sees his drive-through testing site as a way to provide tests to people who can afford to pay."

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2020/03/27/coronavirus-tests-scarce-florida-home-millions-elderly-hospitals-scrounging/2926719001/

Bozeman has a good number of citizens that come from other state. Some could have visited or been visited by friends or relatives. Also a number of upper income folks who travel. Might have been the luck of the draw. Doesn't take but a very few unknowingly infected folks going about their daily business to infect a good number of others. Of course it could have been planned by Trump because he hates the Cats.

some of the people who are trying their best to downplay the risks of this don't seem to be considering the fact the emergency rooms are already frequently crowded, with long waits. seem to think that all those other things that cause people to go to emergency rooms, like broken bones, heart attacks, etc, are all going to stop, and the coronavirus is the only health issue hospitals will have to deal with now. at least that is my impression.

cclarkblues said:
Bozeman has a good number of citizens that come from other state. Some could have visited or been visited by friends or relatives. Also a number of upper income folks who travel. Might have been the luck of the draw. Doesn't take but a very few unknowingly infected folks going about their daily business to infect a good number of others. Of course it could have been planned by Trump because he hates the Cats.

There are a lot of wealthy people from hard-hit states who are traveling to their second or third homes to wait out the pandemic. They have the ability and finances to fly privately and skip work indefinitely. As such, they fly into places like Bozeman to access their “cabins in the woods.” I would expect that these individuals and their support staff have carried the disease with them.

Also...just before shutting down two weeks ago Bridger Bowl and Crosscut hosted the NCAA national ski races...lots of people from CA, WA and NY in town for that.

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

None of our friends went or would go to a hotspot like Bozeman.

i didn't mention your friends :)

BozAngelesGriz said:
cclarkblues said:

There are a lot of wealthy people from hard-hit states who are traveling to their second or third homes to wait out the pandemic. They have the ability and finances to fly privately and skip work indefinitely. As such, they fly into places like Bozeman to access their “cabins in the woods.” I would expect that these individuals and their support staff have carried the disease with them.

Also...just before shutting down two weeks ago Bridger Bowl and Crosscut hosted the NCAA national ski races...lots of people from CA, WA and NY in town for that.
Also the busiest airport in MT.

kemajic said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
cclarkblues said:

Some may not like the news source, but it looks like a lot of people are coming here to “wait it out.”

https://montanafreepress.org/2020/03/27/vacation-rental-data-suggests-visitors-seeking-shelter-in-montana/?fbclid=IwAR2Xn31j7l7ImWLJM9i1bvS-FlacRWa67Tuc8YbVvRYaC-OlcLy5Jq9G1I4

BozAngelesGriz said:
kemajic said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
cclarkblues said:

Some may not like the news source, but it looks like a lot of people are coming here to “wait it out.”

https://montanafreepress.org/2020/03/27/vacation-rental-data-suggests-visitors-seeking-shelter-in-montana/?fbclid=IwAR2Xn31j7l7ImWLJM9i1bvS-FlacRWa67Tuc8YbVvRYaC-OlcLy5Jq9G1I4
And a lot of not-so-wealthy people ... but ones who are well off enough to have vacation/summer places ... are doing the same thing all over the country. The Outer Banks, the Adirondacks, the Gulf Coast, you name it, even though officials beg people not to do it. Aside from the fact that these selfish idiots could carry the infection, the new arrivals clean out the local stores ... even if they don't come in and hoard stuff (which some do). And, whether the newcomers infect the locals or just come down with it: Somewhere, the small local health facilities will be overwhelmed by cases. Have not heard of that happening yet, but it seems almost bound to happen. Matter of curiosity: How much of that could Bozie handle?

IdaGriz01 said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
kemajic said:
BozAngelesGriz said:

And a lot of not-so-wealthy people ... but ones who are well off enough to have vacation/summer places ... are doing the same thing all over the country. The Outer Banks, the Adirondacks, the Gulf Coast, you name it, even though officials beg people not to do it. Aside from the fact that these selfish idiots could carry the infection, the new arrivals clean out the local stores ... even if they don't come in and hoard stuff (which some do). And, whether the newcomers infect the locals or just come down with it: Somewhere, the small local health facilities will be overwhelmed by cases. Have not heard of that happening yet, but it seems almost bound to happen. Matter of curiosity: How much of that could Bozie handle?

Now that a lot of the students are gone and ski season is cancelled, I would think the community could handle a healthy influx of visitors. Not that we would want them, for the aforementioned reasons.

I've heard that a problem in the white collar class in NYC, is that a lot of them don't know how to cook. They go out to dinner much of the time, or order in. Things are tough in NY.

IdaGriz01 said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
kemajic said:
BozAngelesGriz said:

I don't see why it's selfish for people in cities to come to places like MT, whether they have vacation houses or rent. Why stay in a city where you are uncomfortable if you have the means to go somewhere else. Are people being selfish to return home from trips to Europe or Asia. I would think most people coming from problem area have better distancing habits than the average Montanan. Was the guy who returned to Libby from the west coast, and who died a few days later, selfish? It's a free country too.

Here's a video of a Dr. that was on Watters World tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6oui0tg0fM

PlayerRep said:

You take the bad with the good I suppose. Fastest growing city in the state by far. Our airport sees almost as many travelers as Missoula and Billings combined. Right next to one of the most popular national parks in the country. Booming economy. Great tech jobs. University thriving. With all that good comes a lot of people coming and going.

I don’t claim to be smart on this topic, but I told my wife weeks ago Bozeman would definitely have the most cases when all was said and done. Certainly seems that way.

Cuervohola said:

I only watched the first few minutes. He's certainly an outlier in terms of how the virus can be transmitted. I haven't heard any other reputable doctor, clinician or expert who would agree with him. I sent this vid to a buddy of mine who's a virologist at the Univ of Washington. He called the clip "dangerous" and the doctor's views "misguided". He -- and other experts -- believe one droplet inhaled is enough to infect.

Separate. (and don't believe most things you see on Fox/Msnbc)

EverettGriz said:
Cuervohola said:

I only watched the first few minutes. He's certainly an outlier in terms of how the virus can be transmitted. I haven't heard any other reputable doctor, clinician or expert who would agree with him. I sent this vid to a buddy of mine who's a virologist at the Univ of Washington. He called the clip "dangerous" and the doctor's views "misguided". He -- and other experts -- believe one droplet inhaled is enough to infect.

Separate. (and don't believe most things you see on Fox/Msnbc)

It has nothing to do with Fox or CNN or MSNBC. The Dr. isn't talking to the Fox host. Who is to say that the virus in Seattle isn't a completely different virus than the one in NYC? Nobody knows enough about this to call anything "dangerous" or "misguided".

Ask your buddy what he thinks about treating Covid with high doses of Vitamin C. That has worked in NYC and China.

I don't care who he is or isn't talking to. He's an outlier (who as far as I know has only been aired on fox). No other professional shares his opinion. And because his opinion is such that it would further spread the disease, it seems reasonable for an expert to call it "dangerous". If it's wrong, it seems reasonable to term it "misguided".

I will; that said, he's almost certain to say he has no idea what might help cure the virus. He's a virologist. He studies the virus and its spread, not its cure. That said, reputable sites have largely debunked the Vitamin C theory as helping the virus.

EverettGriz said:
....That said, reputable sites have largely debunked the Vitamin C theory as helping the virus.

Not true, their is plenty of support for both sides, with researchers and doctors both supporting their side. I have friend that has now recovered from Covid-19. Treated with antibiotics, hydrochloroquine and massive amounts of vitamin C. She improved within 24 hrs once Hydrochloroquine and Vitamin C were added to her treatment.

In the end, different treatments are going to work for different people. And yes I asked about the antibiotics because it’s a virus

Back