• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Some Ask a Taboo Question: Is America Overreacting to Coronavirus?

PlayerRep said:
gotgame75 said:
This isn’t a debate, it’s a fool’s bargain. Economies can bounce back, but lives cannot be recovered. It’s tough medicine to be sure, but we as a nation have to get this right the first time or the long term economic toll will be catastrophic. We are in the position we are currently because we were not adequately prepared. Do we really want to tempt fate yet again by ignoring the warning of those that spend their lives studying these things?

Why are Americans so arrogant that we believe we don’t have to hold ourselves to the same standards as the rest of the world? The virus will prey upon this laissez faire attitude as it’s our greatest vulnerability. We as a nation have no tolerance for being inconvenienced.

I encourage anyone who is interested in this “debate” to watch Anderson Cooper’s interview with Bill Gates last night. He offers an encouraging, but sobering take on the current state of America.

My view. Even now, the economy is not going to bounce back. The longer this goes, the more economic damage that will done, and the harder and longer to recover. This is already much worse than the 2008
recession, according to financial experts. The US didn't exactly bounce back from that. How about the Depression? Did the world bounce back from that? I hope it doesn't get to a depression.

Bill Gates is a smart guy and built a great company but alot of people think he's not right on this. Including some friends of mine who know him well and used to work with him.

So now the US didn’t “bounce back” from the 2008 recession? Are you joking Jack or just being intentionally daft? The past 10 years has been one of, if not the greatest period of economic prosperity in our nation’s history! And the reason the US was able to prosper was due to aggressive action on the part of the federal government and the Fed.

And by the way, nice flex on claiming some 3rd degree relationship with Bill Gates. Does your back hurt from dropping all these names? Why do you habitually find a way to brag about yourself when it literally has ZERO to do with the topic at hand? Typical pompous PR.

Cuervohola said:
gotgame75 said:
This isn’t a debate, it’s a fool’s bargain. Economies can bounce back, but lives cannot be recovered. It’s tough medicine to be sure, but we as a nation have to get this right the first time or the long term economic toll will be catastrophic. We are in the position we are currently because we were not adequately prepared. Do we really want to tempt fate yet again by ignoring the warning of those that spend their lives studying these things?

Why are Americans so arrogant that we believe we don’t have to hold ourselves to the same standards as the rest of the world? The virus will prey upon this laissez faire attitude as it’s our greatest vulnerability. We as a nation have no tolerance for being inconvenienced.

I encourage anyone who is interested in this “debate” to watch Anderson Cooper’s interview with Bill Gates last night. He offers an encouraging, but sobering take on the current state of America.

Have you watched Bill Gates' TED talk where he says he thinks the world's population can be trimmed by 15% with drugs and vaccines?

Lol. Typical debunked right wing reddit nonsense.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bill-gates-vaccinations-depopulation/

This theory and this number 15% is certainly up for scientific debate. But what is not up for debate is that he called out literally this exact scenario we are in now almost 5 years years ago. What is also not up for debate is that he is better educated on this topic than probably 99.9% of the world, as evidenced by both his massive financial and time commitments to viral pandemic research. Additionally, his foundation is financing the research at the very biotech firms that are the leading candidates to launch a Coronavirus vaccine. So now the question is, what do you know that he doesn’t?

gotgame75 said:
Cuervohola said:
gotgame75 said:

Have you watched Bill Gates' TED talk where he says he thinks the world's population can be trimmed by 15% with drugs and vaccines?

Lol. Typical debunked right wing reddit nonsense.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bill-gates-vaccinations-depopulation/

This theory and this number 15% is certainly up for scientific debate. But what is not up for debate is that he called out literally this exact scenario we are in now almost 5 years years ago. What is also not up for debate is that he is better educated on this topic than probably 99.9% of the world, as evidenced by both his massive financial and time commitments to viral pandemic research. Additionally, his foundation is financing the research at the very biotech firms that are the leading candidates to launch a Coronavirus vaccine. So now the question is, what do you know that he doesn’t?

So you didn't watch the TED talk. Okay.

Which one on the Snopes couch of all knowing wrote that? The guy or the girl?

Why didn't you reference a reputable source? Oh yeah, my bad... The Left doesn't have reputable sources.

By the way, this has nothing to do with politics and I'm not on the Right.

Are you going to take the vaccine?

Trust Bill, don't ya?

PlayerRep said:
$600 per person unemployment increase:

"The bill increases unemployment benefits for all workers by $600 per week for the next four months. Even the liberal Economic Policy Institute says this expansion would provide a “100% replacement of wage income for the bottom half of the workforce.” Some will earn more by not working.

Benefits are typically based on a worker’s prior earnings and limited to between 50% and 70% of a state’s average weekly wage.

The blunt Democratic solution, which Republicans too easily agreed to as a price of the bill, is to give all laid-off workers a $600 benefit increase on top of their normal unemployment compensation for up to four months. So workers will now make at least $15 an hour (assuming a 40-hour workweek) and as much as $35 an hour in places like Massachusetts—for not working.

Amazon, Walmart, CVS and delivery services are seeking to hire hundreds of thousands of workers to meet a surge in demand even as the virus spreads. Many are boosting pay, but how are they supposed to compete with workers who can stay at home and make more?"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/working-after-the-coronavirus-11585265032?mod=opinion_lead_pos1 paywall issue

I have already had a couple of my employees ask to be laid off, They are pretty much looking at being able to get the max weekly unemployment benefit of $550 per week plus the $600 with the new aid bill
That's $1150.00 per week .
I told them if there is work , they work . Trying to scam the system already .

TCCGRIZ said:
I have already had a couple of my employees ask to be laid off, They are pretty much looking at being able to get the max weekly unemployment benefit of $550 per week plus the $600 with the new aid bill
That's $1150.00 per week .
I told them if there is work , they work . Trying to scam the system already .

In your situation, I would suddenly have 2 positions open.

gotgame75 said:
PlayerRep said:
gotgame75 said:

My view. Even now, the economy is not going to bounce back. The longer this goes, the more economic damage that will done, and the harder and longer to recover. This is already much worse than the 2008
recession, according to financial experts. The US didn't exactly bounce back from that. How about the Depression? Did the world bounce back from that? I hope it doesn't get to a depression.

Bill Gates is a smart guy and built a great company but alot of people think he's not right on this. Including some friends of mine who know him well and used to work with him.

So now the US didn’t “bounce back” from the 2008 recession? Are you joking Jack or just being intentionally daft? The past 10 years has been one of, if not the greatest period of economic prosperity in our nation’s history! And the reason the US was able to prosper was due to aggressive action on the part of the federal government and the Fed.

And by the way, nice flex on claiming some 3rd degree relationship with Bill Gates. Does your back hurt from dropping all these names? Why do you habitually find a way to brag about yourself when it literally has ZERO to do with the topic at hand? Typical pompous PR.

Andreas, no, the US didn't "bounce back". Under Obama, it was one of the slowest recoveries ever. Significant recovery and growth was not reached for at least 6 or 8 years.

On rate of recovery, see below quotes and linked article, which is from Aug. 2016.
This is a liberal policy group.

"Since the recovery’s trough in June 2009, employment took longer (51 months) to reach its pre-recession peak than in any other of the previous three recoveries. Much of this too-slow march back to the pre-recession employment peak can be attributed to the length and severity of the Great Recession itself—the economy had a much larger hole to dig out of. But the pace of job growth in the recovery phase following the recession was also slow relative to previous recoveries—slower than any on record except the recovery in the early 2000s."

The depth of the Great Recession and the slow pace of recovery

The recession that began in December 2007 and ended in June 2009 was the longest in postwar history.

The cause of slow growth following the Great Recession

Conclusion

The recovery since 2009 has been historically slow, and the disappointing pace can be explained entirely by the fiscal austerity imposed by Republicans in Congress.

Of course, other national policymakers are not completely blameless.

https://www.epi.org/publication/why-is-recovery-taking-so-long-and-who-is-to-blame/

This is from Forbes article, in 2016:

"The Obama recovery of the last seven years remains the worst in postwar American history. Average gross domestic product (GDP) growth since the bottom of the recession in 2009 was barely above 2.1% per year."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rexsinquefield/2016/11/29/obama-and-the-dems-dismal-recovery/#295b42b6cb0e

[This is your idea of "bounce back"?]

I'm not bragging about a Gates relationship, but I know or have met a number of people who worked in the executive sweet with him. I've been to Steve Ballmer's house too. I've met Ballmer's wife several other times, including at my friend's house. I've met Nathan Myhrvold. His son was my good friend's partner. The Myhrvold's were senior execs at MSFT. I'm bragging about the Ballers and Myhrvolds. So there you have it.

Australia:

"Every nation confronting the coronavirus pandemic sees a recession in its future. But after nearly 30 years of economic growth, Australia is struggling to process surging unemployment and declining exuberance."

"Even though the country still has a relatively low infection count, with around 3,000 confirmed cases, its two largest states, New South Wales and Victoria, are under lockdown orders for all but essential services.:

[Australia has 13 deaths. Was lock down really necessary? I don't know. Haven't been following Australia.]

gotgame75 said:
PlayerRep said:
gotgame75 said:

👍 spot on

"What the Media Isn't Telling You About the United States' Coronavirus Case Numbers"

A quick read/skim if you're interested in comparative numbers among countries, and possible media bias.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/what-the-m ... p=28736345

first11 said:
gotgame75 said:
PlayerRep said:
gotgame75 said:

👍 spot on

Spot off, regarding the rate of recovery from, 2008 recession.

"Since the recovery’s trough in June 2009, employment took longer (51 months) to reach its pre-recession peak than in any other of the previous three recoveries.f bounce back from the 2008 recession."

"The recovery since 2009 has been historically slow,"

"The Obama recovery of the last seven years remains the worst in postwar American history. Average gross domestic product (GDP) growth since the bottom of the recession in 2009 was barely above 2.1% per year."

Say what you want about the Obama recovery, we know for sure that the Trump depression has progressed at unprecedented speed.

Interesting Bill Gates story: My wife once had to do some schooling at the children's hospital in Seattle and stayed at what was basically a boarding house owned by a retired UW physics professor in the Laurelhurst neighborhood. Our Seattle area brethren probably know the neighborhood, if not the actual house. The next door neighbors were Bill Gates II (Bill Gates' dad) and his wife. Anyway, this retired prof told us a story about how he went to a party next door at Bill II's house back in the early 1990s. I don't remember what he said the occasion was, but the food was catered. As the party was winding down, the caterers were loading stuff back in their van, and Bill II told Bill III (worth billions by that point), "William, don't just watch them, help them clean up." And he apparently said, "Yes, sir" and helped the caterers load the van until they were done. IDK, I always thought it was a pretty cool story.

PlayerRep said:
first11 said:
gotgame75 said:
PlayerRep said:

👍 spot on

Spot off, regarding the rate of recovery from, 2008 recession.

"Since the recovery’s trough in June 2009, employment took longer (51 months) to reach its pre-recession peak than in any other of the previous three recoveries.f bounce back from the 2008 recession."

"The recovery since 2009 has been historically slow,"

it is all a i can think of... i can't think of something to change your mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehB6462JHog

mcg said:
Say what you want about the Obama recovery, we know for sure that the Trump depression has progressed at unprecedented speed.

the rate of spread of this virus in America has also been unprecedented. so has the shortage of medical supplies. with a 3 month notice i would have hoped for more.

mcg said:

..god almighty what kind of Kool-Aid have these people been drinking!

BozAngelesGriz said:
mcg said:

the rate of spread of this virus in America has also been unprecedented. so has the shortage of medical supplies. with a 3 month notice i would have hoped for more.

Not accurate.

Hint: look at the people with University of Montana and Microsoft connections in the group of current partners, and the people with Microsoft connections in the group of founding partners. https://www.ignitionpartners.com/team/

BozAngelesGriz said:
mcg said:

Nobody in NYC had any notice, with the Governor and Mayor and assistants telling people to go play in public and go to parades at the start of March.

OOPS.

Latest posts

Back