• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

O line update

Copper Griz said:
Ok. I have been reading this thread and scratching my head for some time. Let me get this straight. A coaching staff with combined experience in excess of 200 years. (Well exceeds that actually and that also includes “having played the game, high school, various levels of collegiate athletics, NFL experience and fathers who have a storied football pedigree). This staff doesn’t know how to recruit and develop players? You keyboard warriors know more than them, including the recruiting environment? You dismiss almost ten years of poor leadership at the U of M and Hauck rebuilding the program. You also dismiss the recent success the program has had? WTH? Pull your heads out and be thankful for the great product and team that you have - you ingrates. If you happen to be a young man being recruited by the U of M and you are reading any of the drivel being vomited by the keyboard warriors - know this. You would be part of a long and storied tradition with a very enthusiastic fan base. The atmosphere at Washington Grizzly is damn near unparalleled come game day. The coaching staff is incredibly talented and has quite the pedigree. The U of M football program has been a conduit for many players moving on to the NFL (including the head coaches brother). Finally - you would receive an exceptional education at a liberal arts university in a northwestern city that is coveted by many who are not fortunate enough to reside there. Becoming a Montana Grizzly is an excellent choice and a privilege. Regardless your position - yes, even at Oline. The program and school are definitely headed in the right direction. Naysayers be damned.

Yes. An enthusiastic fan base that has come to expect excellence. If you’re happy with finishing 3/4/5 in the BSC, getting a playoff bid and going out in the quarters, then good on ya. I’m not. And Bobby’s “rebuild” has had 4 years. How long do we have to wait for him to “rebuild” the offensive line? This “keyboard warrior” is curious…

AZGrizFan said:
Copper Griz said:
Ok. I have been reading this thread and scratching my head for some time. Let me get this straight. A coaching staff with combined experience in excess of 200 years. (Well exceeds that actually and that also includes “having played the game, high school, various levels of collegiate athletics, NFL experience and fathers who have a storied football pedigree). This staff doesn’t know how to recruit and develop players? You keyboard warriors know more than them, including the recruiting environment? You dismiss almost ten years of poor leadership at the U of M and Hauck rebuilding the program. You also dismiss the recent success the program has had? WTH? Pull your heads out and be thankful for the great product and team that you have - you ingrates. If you happen to be a young man being recruited by the U of M and you are reading any of the drivel being vomited by the keyboard warriors - know this. You would be part of a long and storied tradition with a very enthusiastic fan base. The atmosphere at Washington Grizzly is damn near unparalleled come game day. The coaching staff is incredibly talented and has quite the pedigree. The U of M football program has been a conduit for many players moving on to the NFL (including the head coaches brother). Finally - you would receive an exceptional education at a liberal arts university in a northwestern city that is coveted by many who are not fortunate enough to reside there. Becoming a Montana Grizzly is an excellent choice and a privilege. Regardless your position - yes, even at Oline. The program and school are definitely headed in the right direction. Naysayers be damned.

Yes. An enthusiastic fan base that has come to expect excellence. If you’re happy with finishing 3/4/5 in the BSC, getting a playoff bid and going out in the quarters, then good on ya. I’m not. And Bobby’s “rebuild” has had 4 years. How long do we have to wait for him to “rebuild” the offensive line? This “keyboard warrior” is curious…

Yes that major disappointment of last season was on the o line. All their fault. You forget about beating a D1 program, their in state rival and losing to James Madison after their #1 receiver and QB went out with injuries. Seems like a dismal failure the o line should hang their heads about. Especially the one who ended up in the NFL. Don’t forget the teams number 1 running back was out. Oh wait - so was #2. You sound ridiculous. Four years and the program is night and day different than the state Stitt left it in.

Copper Griz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Yes that major disappointment of last season was on the o line. All their fault. You forget about beating a D1 program, their in state rival and losing to James Madison after their #1 receiver and QB went out with injuries. Seems like a dismal failure the o line should hang their heads about. Especially the one who ended up in the NFL. Don’t forget the teams number 1 running back was out. Oh wait - so was #2. You sound ridiculous. Four years and the program is night and day different than the state Stitt left it in.

Whatever. We will go as far as the O-line takes us. Which will be the quarters again this year. If we’re lucky. Whatever floats your boat.

AZGrizFan said:
Copper Griz said:

Whatever. We will go as far as the O-line takes us. Which will be the quarters again this year. If we’re lucky. Whatever floats your boat.

Lots of times I’m kinda with ya AZ but this last post almost sounds like you don’t even think we should bother wasting our time playing this year.

Spanky2 said:
So if it is true North Dakota State has superior linemen, why don’t we use their methods of recruitment and development? The last two or three years, the Griz have been successful recruiting JC transfers. Hopefully, that continues. Occasionally, we get a quality FBS drop down which is also good. How many junior high football athletes actually aspire to play OL? I suspect not many. We know the majority of talented high school offensive linemen are recruited by FBS schools, so honestly how many are left thereafter? Years ago, I played OL by accident in high school. I wasn’t a QB or running back, so the coaches said that I would be a lineman. Further, in recent years, I watched my grandson play Little Guy and High School football in Billings. Where were the talented athletes? You guessed it……not on the offensive line.

NDSU’s recruiting method is beating the snot out of everyone else for the last 10-15 years, including every FBS school they’ve played. Kinda hard to match that.

AZGrizFan said:
Copper Griz said:

Not to crash anyone's floating boats, or anything, but I feel like you're selling the players on the team a little short here before you even see how they look on the field.

ilovethecats said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
Could it be that the obesity rate on 12-19 year olds in the US is now at 22.2%? Kids are now getting fat before they can become athletic. Hard to find OL talent in that population.

I understand the sentiment. People DO seem to be a bit fatter overall. But the obesity charts are kind of crazy in my opinion. A dude who is 6'3 and weighs 220 is considered overweight. If he hits 240 it's now obese according to the department of health and human services. I just don't see it. By the current standards, I don't know if you'd find a single lineman playing college football that wasn't considered "obese". :?

Those charts don't seem to differentiate the type of weight (muscle/flab) real well. No question in my mind that the social media generation(s) is/are plagued by excess unhealthy weight. Actual obese kids were rare when I was a kid in the 60's/70's, not so in this day and age.

AZGrizFan said:
Copper Griz said:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Not only should we expect a better product on the field, but if this venerated coaching staff with so much experience is all its cracked up to be, then why has a certain position group continuously been THE weak link on this team for Hauck's entire tenure? Hauck mocked Stitt for collecting receivers and not building through the trenches, but has he really done any better?

Straight up, we will never be the program we aspire to be with the level of OL play we've seen the last 4 years (and before). If we are being realistic, it's going to take a MASSIVE step forward from this position group if we hope to compete for a championship. While I cross my fingers and hope for the best, there is literally nothing from Germer's current tenure that leads me to believe that is likely.

Hauck is continuously held to a different standard by a certain segment of this fan base and it's frankly ridiculous. While I applaud the progress that he has made, the fact is he hasn't even been able to win a conference championship, let alone compete for the Natty. How is that acceptable? It's been 12 years since we were conference champs. Not even close to good enough. Time to stop living vicariously through the unrealized dreams of Hauck 1.0.

gotgame75 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Not only should we expect a better product on the field, but if this venerated coaching staff with so much experience is all its cracked up to be, then why has a certain position group continuously been THE weak link on this team for Hauck's entire tenure? Hauck mocked Stitt for collecting receivers and not building through the trenches, but has he really done any better?

Straight up, we will never be the program we aspire to be with the level of OL play we've seen the last 4 years (and before). If we are being realistic, it's going to take a MASSIVE step forward from this position group if we hope to compete for a championship. While I cross my fingers and hope for the best, there is literally nothing from Germer's current tenure that leads me to believe that is likely.

Hauck is continuously held to a different standard by a certain segment of this fan base and it's frankly ridiculous. While I applaud the progress that he has made, the fact is he hasn't even been able to win a conference championship, let alone compete for the Natty. How is that acceptable? It's been 12 years since we were conference champs. Not even close to good enough. Time to stop living vicariously through the unrealized dreams of Hauck 1.0.

Spot on!

gotgame75 said:
AZGrizFan said:

:clap:

It’s just the FCS. With all the realignment in the FBS world, you seem to forget that we are the farm league now. We will be constantly be hunting for the leftovers, developing them, and wishing them well through the portal. Enjoy the game for the level we’re in.

RABIDAWG said:
It’s just the FCS. With all the realignment in the FBS world, you seem to forget that we are the farm league now. We will be constantly be hunting for the leftovers, developing them, and wishing them well through the portal. Enjoy the game for the level we’re in.

I'm sure that was thoroughly discussed in Bobby's interview, and remember it well in his subsequent pressers. :roll:

RABIDAWG said:
The Cats have sent 2 highly valued OT's to the P5 recently. Just a short time ago, those kids would have a 5-year program guys just like Mike Person (who recently retired from a very productive 9-year NFL career). Sucks donkey balls.

AZ can come off as an entitled dick sometimes. Also, some people have to get past the good old days and come to terms with the present. Enjoy the past accomplishments, but realize that a return to that same level is a difficult thing and have a good time along the way.

ABQCat said:
RABIDAWG said:
The Cats have sent 2 highly valued OT's to the P5 recently. Just a short time ago, those kids would have a 5-year program guys just like Mike Person (who recently retired from a very productive 9-year NFL career). Sucks donkey balls.

Wait - I thought recruiting quality offensive linemen to play in Montana was difficult, if not impossible. Are you trying to tell us that cat state recruited All Big Sky linemen in the recent past? Many will think you are lying.

gotgame75 said:
AZGrizFan said:

The above post is total nonsense. Completely wrong.

Hauck has quickly brought UM back to the top of FCS, after the huge fall during Stitt's tenure. Ranked 6th/7th in polls the last two full fall seasons under Hauck. UM was not ranked in Stitt's last year, and received only 2 votes in the final poll.

The O-line has been considerably better under Hauck/Germer than it was previously under Stitt.

Germer is a terrific coach. I have never talked to any former player of his, who hasn't said that Germer is a terrific coach.

UM currently has a couple of the better O-lineman in the conference. Yes, the O-line is down in numbers and seems to lack depth. However, we haven't seen most of the younger/newer guys play yet.

Hauck's earlier years produced several of the best O-lines the Griz have ever had.

Latest posts

Back