• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

O line update

kemajic said:
UncleRico said:
Why such an ignorant prick when talking about college kids? Yep 6'5 300 lbs athletic lineman grow on trees.
What this dude said. AAAAA++

Yet ---All American offensive lineman are produced at other FCS schools. Argument that it is "hard" to get them is tired and lame.

Remember when the Griz had an abundance of riches at the position? I do.

SoldierGriz said:
Yet ---All American offensive lineman are produced at other FCS schools.

I am not going to say the Griz have done a great job recruiting OL, but this argument is dumb. They pick an All-American team every year, so of course other schools will produce All-American OL. OL play throughout FCS could be down right shitty, but they would still pick an All-American OL.

HelenaHandBasket said:
SoldierGriz said:

I am not going to say the Griz have done a great job recruiting OL, but this argument is dumb. They pick an All-American team every year, so of course other schools will produce All-American OL. OL play throughout FCS could be down right shitty, but they would still pick an All-American OL.

This!

HelenaHandBasket said:
SoldierGriz said:

I have no words for this. Complete rubbish. There is zero reason the Griz should not be putting players on those teams. Well, there is one very obvious reason...his name rhymes with bad.

I'd be happy if the Griz could even produce a First Team All BSC O-Lineman or 2....when's the last time that happened?

SoldierGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I have no words for this. Complete rubbish. There is zero reason the Griz should not be putting players on those teams. Well, there is one very obvious reason...his name rhymes with bad.

I'd be happy if the Griz could even produce a First Team All BSC O-Lineman or 2....when's the last time that happened?

I don't disagree that it would be great having a OL get some accolades, but using All-American status is a terrible metric to base your argument. Look at the bright side though, the math improved with SUU leaving.

AZGrizFan said:
EverettGriz said:
I’m beginning to wonder if SG has an application in to be offensive line coach at UM.

I hope not. Else mine might not be in consideration. :cool:

pretty sure they'd rather have you as tight ends coach, due to, you know... your extensive experience at the position.

'68griz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

This!
Logic says that if FCS quality is down right shitty....this staff hasn't even had best of the shitty...no polished turds in other words. FCS oline All Americans theoretically compares FCS olinemen with other FCS olinemen in a given year...apples to apples. So regardless of overall FCS quality, this staff has been lacking in this position group considering it is a top tier FCS school and is not producing top tier olines. Something is not working (development? recruiting? HS kids? convincing transfers to come? strength/conditioning? scheme?).

My "guess" is a combination of all, but burying heads in the sand/being stubborn to make personnel changes if needed wont make the problem go away. This position group is not deep in quality/game ready players and no longer can the blame go to previous staffs, it is on this staff. How often do the front 5 played every game in a season....without depth the weakest links will really start to limit the chances of offensive quality and QB survival rate. Anyone that thinks they only needed one transfer and are happy with just one you are delusional or thinking with your heart (deep love for certain coaches) and not your head.

HelenaHandBasket said:
SoldierGriz said:

I am honestly trying to understand this logic but it makes no sense. Your argument: If the quality of o-line play is generally crappy across the FCS in any given year, then the all-americans chosen for that year's team won't be all that great but they will still be chosen for the team. Okay fine. However, using that as a reason for why the Griz still can't land any o linemen on the all american (or for that matter the all Big sky) team doesn't make sense. The general competition somehow being even lower should be all the more reason that we should see at least one of our players show up at least every few years on one of these teams, not the inverse.

Ursus1 said:
'68griz said:
Logic says that if FCS quality is down right shitty....this staff hasn't even had best of the shitty...no polished turds in other words. FCS oline All Americans theoretically compares FCS olinemen with other FCS olinemen in a given year...apples to apples. So regardless of overall FCS quality, this staff has been lacking in this position group considering it is a top tier FCS school and is not producing top tier olines. Something is not working (development? recruiting? HS kids? convincing transfers to come? strength/conditioning? scheme?).

My "guess" is a combination of all, but burying heads in the sand/being stubborn to make personnel changes if needed wont make the problem go away. This position group is not deep in quality/game ready players and no longer can the blame go to previous staffs, it is on this staff. How often do the front 5 played every game in a season....without depth the weakest links will really start to limit the chances of offensive quality and QB survival rate. Anyone that thinks they only needed one transfer and are happy with just one you are delusional or thinking with your heart (deep love for certain coaches) and not your head.

Thank you for bringing logic to this discussion.

SoldierGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Awards are nice but I’d say that NFL talent is a better indicator of how good a lineman can be. Of the 15 lineman selected for any of the all con teams, Dylan Cook was not one of them yet he was one of only four Big Sky lineman currently playing in the NFL. By the way, where did he learn how to play O line so well? How are awards chosen anyway? Yes, I know opposing coaches vote but outside of size, pancakes, sacks allowed(sometimes as much on the QB as the O line), and rushing yards(also dependent on another position group) what other metrics do we have to measure their greatness. Unlike other positions that have 15 statistical categories to measure them by. I’m not gonna straight up say the awards are just a popularity contest but in a sense they are. What do the NFL scouts see that the BSC coaches couldn’t see?

argh! said:
AZGrizFan said:
I hope not. Else mine might not be in consideration. :cool:

pretty sure they'd rather have you as tight ends coach, due to, you know... your extensive experience at the position.

i think you misunderstood…I was being called an “ass”, not a tight end…

alabamagrizzly said:
SoldierGriz said:

Awards are nice but I’d say that NFL talent is a better indicator of how good a lineman can be. Of the 15 lineman selected for any of the all con teams, Dylan Cook was not one of them yet he was one of only four Big Sky lineman currently playing in the NFL. By the way, where did he learn how to play O line so well? How are awards chosen anyway? Yes, I know opposing coaches vote but outside of size, pancakes, sacks allowed(sometimes as much on the QB as the O line), and rushing yards(also dependent on another position group) what other metrics do we have to measure their greatness. Unlike other positions that have 15 statistical categories to measure them by. I’m not gonna straight up say the awards are just a popularity contest but in a sense they are. What do the NFL scouts see that the BSC coaches couldn’t see?

And never played a down of OL before three years ago. How did he get that good starting from scratch?

SoldierGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Hauck and Green don't rhyme with bad.

Da Boyz Mom said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I am honestly trying to understand this logic but it makes no sense. Your argument: If the quality of o-line play is generally crappy across the FCS in any given year, then the all-americans chosen for that year's team won't be all that great but they will still be chosen for the team. Okay fine. However, using that as a reason for why the Griz still can't land any o linemen on the all american (or for that matter the all Big sky) team doesn't make sense. The general competition somehow being even lower should be all the more reason that we should see at least one of our players show up at least every few years on one of these teams, not the inverse.

You do realize that the Griz had (2) OL make an All-BSC team last season. Also, my point was you don't need an All- American to have a good OL. What percentage of OL are All-American at the FCS level each season? So if the Griz don't have an All-American O-lineman, than they must suck? Hilarious that people want to bitch because there are no All-Americans playing OL for the Griz.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

You do realize that the Griz had (2) OL make an All-BSC team last season. Also, my point was you don't need an All- American to have a good OL. What percentage of OL are All-American at the FCS level each season? So if the Griz don't have an All-American O-lineman, than they must suck? Hilarious that people want to bitch because there are no All-Americans playing OL for the Griz.

Okay now you're making a different argument which I actually have no issues with. My only point was to make a good argument and support it with logic.

EverettGriz said:
I’m beginning to wonder if SG has an application in to be offensive line coach at UM.

Ha...under no circumstances do the Griz want me coaching the bigs.

But, I have also never had cancer...and I still know cancer sucks.

I just think the position group is and has been the weakest on the team for far too long, and there seems to be no sense of urgency to correct it.

SoldierGriz said:
EverettGriz said:

I just think the position group is and has been the weakest on the team for far too long, and there seems to be no sense of urgency to correct it.

UNDSU's 3rd string OL would start for the Griz. Not only do they have size, strength and speed, their blocking (and holding) techniques are a wonder to behold. Bring in their asst. o-line coach and watch our OL become the best group on the team in 3 years.

horribilisfan8184 said:
SoldierGriz said:

UNDSU's 3rd string OL would start for the Griz. Not only do they have size, strength and speed, their blocking (and holding) techniques are a wonder to behold. Bring in their asst. o-line coach and watch our OL become the best group on the team in 3 years.
As part of their offensive scheme, their OL blocking is entirely different from ours. They use more classical wing-T type, a lot of pulls and traps, which is far different from our zone blocking, mostly pushes and shoves resembling a pillow fight. That is more on Rosenbach than Germer. NDSU requires more athletic OLmen, while we seem to like size first, presumably for pass protection, yielding poorer mobility.

Back