• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

O line update

Hoops watcher said:
ilovethecats said:
I understand the sentiment. People DO seem to be a bit fatter overall. But the obesity charts are kind of crazy in my opinion. A dude who is 6'3 and weighs 220 is considered overweight. If he hits 240 it's now obese according to the department of health and human services. I just don't see it. By the current standards, I don't know if you'd find a single lineman playing college football that wasn't considered "obese". :?

Those charts don't seem to differentiate the type of weight (muscle/flab) real well. No question in my mind that the social media generation(s) is/are plagued by excess unhealthy weight. Actual obese kids were rare when I was a kid in the 60's/70's, not so in this day and age.
I understand. That's why I think we're essentially saying the same thing. The CDC puts out these charts. They have no way of differentiating what type of weight people are carrying to validate these charts. Yet by using them it seems as though nearly everyone is "overweight" or "obese". I just don't buy those charts is all.

Damn. I thought that by now there would be at least three, if not more, transfer OL awaiting to start for the Griz this coming season. All with at least three years of eligibility left.

alabamagrizzly said:
AZGrizFan said:
Whatever. We will go as far as the O-line takes us. Which will be the quarters again this year. If we’re lucky. Whatever floats your boat.

Lots of times I’m kinda with ya AZ but this last post almost sounds like you don’t even think we should bother wasting our time playing this year.

Like I said in an earlier post, I’ll be in my seat yelling my ass off, and drinking beer in the parking lot by 10:30 every Gameday….but we will NOT be NC caliber until we get the O-line figured out. He’s (BH) solved literally every other issue on the team, but this is beginning to appear like a blind spot.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZ can come off as an entitled dick sometimes. Also, some people have to get past the good old days and come to terms with the present. Enjoy the past accomplishments, but realize that a return to that same level is a difficult thing and have a good time along the way.

Made even more difficult by their inability or unwillingness to acknowledge the deficiencies on the O-line.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
AZ can come off as an entitled dick sometimes. Also, some people have to get past the good old days and come to terms with the present. Enjoy the past accomplishments, but realize that a return to that same level is a difficult thing and have a good time along the way.

Made even more difficult by their inability or unwillingness to acknowledge the deficiencies on the O-line.
The thing that gets me here is the number of people that seem to think the coaching staff isn't actively trying to fix this. They went after some extremely highly rated OL prospects these last 2 recruiting cycles, and struck out on the majority of them and a lot of transfers.

Simply wanting them to land transfers/highly rated HS OL isn't gonna make it reality, which is fine, but acting like they're ignoring it is disingenuous. I can guarantee you that no one wanted those kids to sign more than the coaches, themselves.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
The thing that gets me here is the number of people that seem to think the coaching staff isn't actively trying to fix this. They went after some extremely highly rated OL prospects these last 2 recruiting cycles, and struck out on the majority of them and a lot of transfers.

Simply wanting them to land transfers/highly rated HS OL isn't gonna make it reality, which is fine, but acting like they're ignoring it is disingenuous. I can guarantee you that no one wanted those kids to sign more than the coaches, themselves.

Thought provoking post as usual, 1122. My question would be not the recruiting of O lineman but more about the development of players in the system. We’ve had a number of players parents on the board that have commented on that aspect- That seems to be the bigger question at hand, to me.

Ursa Major said:
uofmman1122 said:

Thought provoking post as usual, 1122. My question would be not the recruiting of O lineman but more about the development of players in the system. We’ve had a number of players parents on the board that have commented on that aspect- That seems to be the bigger question at hand, to me.
No, I feel you and I agree, but they've also dealt with a ton of unusual departures and were working from almost literally nothing in 2018 (I don't think people talking about how bad our OL is/has been remember that we had by far the worst OL in the Big Sky that season). It's tough to measure if the guy can actually develop good OL players when 3-4 guys we were expecting to start over the last couple of years just left the program for reasons other than "the coach sucks" as some have suggested.

You gotta give him credit for developing guys like David Reese, Conlan Beaver and Dylan Cook, though. That's 2 All-American/All-Big Sky OL and a guy who's still in an NFL camp.

I definitely want the OL to be better (it needs to be), but I'm not sure simply firing Germer is gonna be some instant fix.

I also definitely don't think they're ignoring it, either.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Not true at all. The frustration lies in Germer's inability to develop what we already have. The recruits we have, and used to have, mostly had potential. There were also a few that where true head scratchers and it was obvious in day 1 of fall camp. One of them he spent a good portion of his time trying to make the kid an OL when it was obvious to everybody but him that the kid was never going to make it.

Do you really think other schools bring in recruits that are ready to go? You have to feed these guys lots of food, get them on a great strength program and work with them on the field. The only thing we do decent is the strength portion and even that isn't all that great anymore with the absence of Nicholson.

I can tell you they scoured the nation looking for OL recruits in the portal. They even came close on a few.

hubcap said:
uofmman1122 said:

Not true at all. The frustration lies in Germer's inability to develop what we already have. The recruits we have, and used to have, mostly had potential. There were also a few that where true head scratchers and it was obvious in day 1 of fall camp. One of them he spent a good portion of his time trying to make the kid an OL when it was obvious to everybody but him that the kid was never going to make it.

Do you really think other schools bring in recruits that are ready to go? You have to feed these guys lots of food, get them on a great strength program and work with them on the field. The only thing we do decent is the strength portion and even that isn't all that great anymore with the absence of Nicholson.

I can tell you they scoured the nation looking for OL recruits in the portal. They even came close on a few.
I'm definitely open to the idea that the guys we had who were successful developed in spite of Germer (I'm not close to anyone who's on the OL, so I don't know), and if the standard we want to set is having a dominant OL from top to bottom, including depth, then I agree that they've done a poor job of that.

But the bolded part is my point. If they were just ignoring it like some people have suggested, they would just let Germer do his thing without going after transfers that are clearly a need for them.

Although, to that point, it's definitely weird for Bobby to recognize it's a problem and keep going with the Band-Aid approach. If the rumblings on Germer that are going on here make it up the donor chain, and the results don't materialize, Bobby might have to make a tough decision about his friend.

IMO, I'm not quite sure "the problem" rests solely in Germer's hands, and is instead a combination of a lot of things (bad luck, poor development, changing landscape, recruiting tactics, etc.), so simply firing Germer might not be the magic bullet people think it is.

If the OL is garbage this season, you'll definitely convince me it's a good place to start, though.

uofmman1122 said:
Ursa Major said:
No, I feel you and I agree, but they've also dealt with a ton of unusual departures and were working from almost literally nothing in 2018 (I don't think people talking about how bad our OL is/has been remember that we had by far the worst OL in the Big Sky that season). It's tough to measure if the guy can actually develop good OL players when 3-4 guys we were expecting to start over the last couple of years just left the program for reasons other than "the coach sucks" as some have suggested.

You gotta give him credit for developing guys like David Reese, Conlan Beaver and Dylan Cook, though. That's 2 All-American/All-Big Sky OL and a guy who's still in an NFL camp.

I definitely want the OL to be better (it needs to be), but I'm not sure simply firing Germer is gonna be some instant fix.

Even if you buy into the concept of how supposedly horrible Stitt’s recruits were, we’re talking FOUR years ago. I would hardly qualify that as “instant”.

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

Even if you buy into the concept of how supposedly horrible Stitt’s recruits were, we’re talking FOUR years ago. I would hardly qualify that as “instant”.
Well yeah, If things had gone better over the last four years, we wouldn’t have a problem right now lol

I’m talking about going forward. Maybe getting a new OL coach is what we need, but we’re likely not gonna see improvement in a season or two, apart from transfers coming in (which is what we’re doing anyway).

If we survive the year injury free on the OLine this year, we should be in good shape with that unit. The first unit is pretty solid if the transfer from Nebraska pans out. Players are excited to have him.

I think the OL performance this year is going to shame the Chicken Littles on this thread. We have solid young players that are going to emerge as the season progresses.

kemajic said:
I think the OL performance this year is going to shame the Chicken Littles on this thread. We have solid young players that are going to emerge as the season progresses.

Besides Liam Brown and Brandon Casey, who are you referring to?

kemajic said:

Kem, I would LOVE to be wrong. Would LOVE it.

But I don’t think I will be. Even if 3/4 solid young players “emerge”, we don’t have the depth to make an NC run.

hubcap said:
If we survive the year injury free on the OLine this year, we should be in good shape with that unit. The first unit is pretty solid if the transfer from Nebraska pans out. Players are excited to have him.

:lol: :lol: That’s a good one. We’re now down to hoping we don’t have a single injury on the starting 5. Perfect.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Well yeah, If things had gone better over the last four years, we wouldn’t have a problem right now lol

I’m talking about going forward. Maybe getting a new OL coach is what we need, but we’re likely not gonna see improvement in a season or two, apart from transfers coming in (which is what we’re doing anyway).

Yeah….except we’re NOT doing it. One transfer this year. One freshman O-line recruit this year. That ain’t gonna get it done.

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

Yeah….except we’re NOT doing it. One transfer this year. One freshman O-line recertification this year. That ain’t gonna get it done.
So the logic is “we didn’t land the transfers or recruits we wanted, better fire the OL coach”, then?

Or are you suggesting we fire the entire coaching staff? Maybe just coach Green?

I guess I’m just trying to pin down what you think should happen to the staff that knew they had a problem (that I don’t think was 100% under their control, but we can argue about that later I guess lol), tried to fix it, and failed to do so (or maybe not because we don’t know they only landed one transfer yet???).

hubcap said:
kemajic said:

Besides Liam Brown and Brandon Casey, who are you referring to?

I see Kevin Good and Colin Dreis having solid Griz careers also.

AZGrizFan said:
hubcap said:

:lol: :lol: That’s a good one. We’re now down to hoping we don’t have a single injury on the starting 5. Perfect.
+1

Back