• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

O line update

kemajic said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
UNDSU's 3rd string OL would start for the Griz. Not only do they have size, strength and speed, their blocking (and holding) techniques are a wonder to behold. Bring in their asst. o-line coach and watch our OL become the best group on the team in 3 years.
As part of their offensive scheme, their OL blocking is entirely different from ours. They use more classical wing-T type, a lot of pulls and traps, which is far different from our zone blocking, mostly pushes and shoves resembling a pillow fight. That is more on Rosenbach than Germer. NDSU requires more athletic OLmen, while we seem to like size first, presumably for pass protection, yielding poorer mobility.

All true, but they are damn good at pass blocking too.

horribilisfan8184 said:
kemajic said:
As part of their offensive scheme, their OL blocking is entirely different from ours. They use more classical wing-T type, a lot of pulls and traps, which is far different from our zone blocking, mostly pushes and shoves resembling a pillow fight. That is more on Rosenbach than Germer. NDSU requires more athletic OLmen, while we seem to like size first, presumably for pass protection, yielding poorer mobility.

All true, but they are damn good at pass blocking too.
One of the things that separate NDSU from the pack.

So if it is true North Dakota State has superior linemen, why don’t we use their methods of recruitment and development? The last two or three years, the Griz have been successful recruiting JC transfers. Hopefully, that continues. Occasionally, we get a quality FBS drop down which is also good. How many junior high football athletes actually aspire to play OL? I suspect not many. We know the majority of talented high school offensive linemen are recruited by FBS schools, so honestly how many are left thereafter? Years ago, I played OL by accident in high school. I wasn’t a QB or running back, so the coaches said that I would be a lineman. Further, in recent years, I watched my grandson play Little Guy and High School football in Billings. Where were the talented athletes? You guessed it……not on the offensive line.

Spanky2 said:
So if it is true North Dakota State has superior linemen, why don’t we use their methods of recruitment and development? The last two or three years, the Griz have been successful recruiting JC transfers. Hopefully, that continues. Occasionally, we get a quality FBS drop down which is also good. How many junior high football athletes actually aspire to play OL? I suspect not many. We know the majority of talented high school offensive linemen are recruited by FBS schools, so honestly how many are left thereafter? Years ago, I played OL by accident in high school. I wasn’t a QB or running back, so the coaches said that I would be a lineman. Further, in recent years, I watched my grandson play Little Guy and High School football in Billings. Where were the talented athletes? You guessed it……not on the offensive line.

It looks like the Griz are aiming high with offers for a lot of highly rated OL high school recruits this year. In the past without social media we probably didn't know every offer these kids had. But you are right if you go to most high school games in Montana and the best athletes often are anywhere from 5'10 to 6'1 and from 165lbs to 190lbs. Then these kids go to UM and MSU and where do they play? If the can put on significant weight maybe LB..but most likely they play safety. That is why both rosters are loaded with safeties from Montana.

kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:
Where were the talented athletes? You guessed it……not on the offensive line.
Thanks for that Spanky.

Kem,
I’m not suggesting there can’t be one or two on a given high school team in Montana. However, they usually sign FBS. I think there is a young man from Billings West that is going to Oregon State. There are exceptions….yourself, Dow that play for UM.

UncleRico said:
Spanky2 said:

It looks like the Griz are aiming high with offers for a lot of highly rated OL high school recruits this year. In the past without social media we probably didn't know every offer these kids had. But you are right if you go to most high school games in Montana and the best athletes often are anywhere from 5'10 to 6'1 and from 165lbs to 190lbs. Then these kids go to UM and MSU and where do they play? If the can put on significant weight maybe LB..but most likely they play safety. That is why both rosters are loaded with safeties from Montana.

Could it be that the obesity rate on 12-19 year olds in the US is now at 22.2%? Kids are now getting fat before they can become athletic. Hard to find OL talent in that population.

horribilisfan8184 said:
UncleRico said:

Could it be that the obesity rate on 12-19 year olds in the US is now at 22.2%? Kids are now getting fat before they can become athletic. Hard to find OL talent in that population.

Hard to find 6'4 to 6'5 high school athletes that are athletic enough to play and put on that weight in a healthy way. But I agree with your point about the troublesome obesity rates.

horribilisfan8184 said:
UncleRico said:

I understand the sentiment. People DO seem to be a bit fatter overall. But the obesity charts are kind of crazy in my opinion. A dude who is 6'3 and weighs 220 is considered overweight. If he hits 240 it's now obese according to the department of health and human services. I just don't see it. By the current standards, I don't know if you'd find a single lineman playing college football that wasn't considered "obese". :?

ilovethecats said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

I understand the sentiment. People DO seem to be a bit fatter overall. But the obesity charts are kind of crazy in my opinion. A dude who is 6'3 and weighs 220 is considered overweight. If he hits 240 it's now obese according to the department of health and human services. I just don't see it. By the current standards, I don't know if you'd find a single lineman playing college football that wasn't considered "obese". :?

Not so sure you are correct. They use BMI for kids. https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/basics/childhood-defining.html

horribilisfan8184 said:
ilovethecats said:

Not so sure you are correct. They use BMI for kids. https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/basics/childhood-defining.html

I saw that too. I guess I was just thinking of the college kids 20+ which I'm guessing a huge percentage of college offensive linemen are.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html

Take a look at your roster and plug in the height and weight of any of your linemen over 20. I'd bet a majority would be considered "obese". Not that it makes any difference. Just something that has bothered me when the subject comes up.

NDSU recruiting is easier because when you have been kicking everybody's butt for years kids want to get in on the fun and have the extra exposure a winning season brings.

Ok. I have been reading this thread and scratching my head for some time. Let me get this straight. A coaching staff with combined experience in excess of 200 years. (Well exceeds that actually and that also includes “having played the game, high school, various levels of collegiate athletics, NFL experience and fathers who have a storied football pedigree). This staff doesn’t know how to recruit and develop players? You keyboard warriors know more than them, including the recruiting environment? You dismiss almost ten years of poor leadership at the U of M and Hauck rebuilding the program. You also dismiss the recent success the program has had? WTH? Pull your heads out and be thankful for the great product and team that you have - you ingrates. If you happen to be a young man being recruited by the U of M and you are reading any of the drivel being vomited by the keyboard warriors - know this. You would be part of a long and storied tradition with a very enthusiastic fan base. The atmosphere at Washington Grizzly is damn near unparalleled come game day. The coaching staff is incredibly talented and has quite the pedigree. The U of M football program has been a conduit for many players moving on to the NFL (including the head coaches brother). Finally - you would receive an exceptional education at a liberal arts university in a northwestern city that is coveted by many who are not fortunate enough to reside there. Becoming a Montana Grizzly is an excellent choice and a privilege. Regardless your position - yes, even at Oline. The program and school are definitely headed in the right direction. Naysayers be damned.

Back