• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

O line update

hubcap said:
alabamagrizzly said:
I see Kevin Good and Colin Dreis having solid Griz careers also.

I wouldn’t be betting money on that.

And why is that? Know em personally? Just a hunch? Seen em get abused as Fr and So’s in practice by our dominant defensive front six? Or just not a betting man?

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Yeah….except we’re NOT doing it. One transfer this year. One freshman O-line recertification this year. That ain’t gonna get it done.
So the logic is “we didn’t land the transfers or recruits we wanted, better fire the OL coach”, then?

Or are you suggesting we fire the entire coaching staff? Maybe just coach Green?

I guess I’m just trying to pin down what you think should happen to the staff that knew they had a problem (that I don’t think was 100% under their control, but we can argue about that later I guess lol), tried to fix it, and failed to do so (or maybe not because we don’t know they only landed one transfer yet???).

My question is this: why, 4 years into his 2nd stint, are we still needing multiple transfers to plug holes that have failed to be filled by actual recruits? His first recruiting class should be anchoring the offensive line this year. Will they be?

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:
So the logic is “we didn’t land the transfers or recruits we wanted, better fire the OL coach”, then?

Or are you suggesting we fire the entire coaching staff? Maybe just coach Green?

I guess I’m just trying to pin down what you think should happen to the staff that knew they had a problem (that I don’t think was 100% under their control, but we can argue about that later I guess lol), tried to fix it, and failed to do so (or maybe not because we don’t know they only landed one transfer yet???).

My question is this: why, 4 years into his 2nd stint, are we still needing multiple transfers to plug holes that have failed to be filled by actual recruits? His first recruiting class should be anchoring the offensive line this year. Will they be?
Because we had 4-5 potential starters quit football (most for personal reasons). Maybe the coaches had something to do with it (not according to what I heard for several of them), but when that happens, how else are you going to plug holes?

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

Why does it make a difference if it is recruited high school kids or recruited transfers? I will answer, it doesn't.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

Why does it make a difference if it is recruited high school kids or recruited transfers? I will answer, it doesn't.
Jilted Stitt lovers just won't quit.

kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Jilted Stitt lovers just won't quit.

They sure won't. They get a boner when there's a chance to bitch about something. The only things Stitt was good at was recruiting WRs, coordinating offense, and wearing green hats.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

Well if it doesn’t matter to you, I can’t answer it for you. But if we’re continually plugging multiple holes with transfers, why would ANY recruit ever want to come here?

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Well if it doesn’t matter to you, I can’t answer it for you. But if we’re continually plugging multiple holes with transfers, why would ANY recruit ever want to come here?

Transfers are recruits.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

Transfers are recruits.

Why would any HS recruit want to come here? They continually see transfers being brought in to play in front of them…

fanofzoo said:
AZGrizFan said:
Why would any HS recruit want to come here? They continually see transfers being brought in to play in front of them…

I thought this was about the Oline not the QB's.

Or RB’s or WR’s or DL or LB’s or CB’s or S’s or K’s….

alabamagrizzly said:
fanofzoo said:
I thought this was about the Oline not the QB's.

Or RB’s or WR’s or DL or LB’s or CB’s or S’s or K’s….

Great point. Seems BH and company believe in the old adage ‘the grass is always greener…’ and maybe it is, I don’t know. They’re brought in some great transfers to plug holes in other areas…simply wondering why they can’t find success in the one area that’s perhaps most important.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Transfers are recruits.

So you went from plugging holes to replace? So which is it? Sure, it might make a difference to a high school kid, but if so, I think it is minimal in the overall picture. Coaches will make the moves necessary to get better. I think people are making way to much out of the process of building an oline with the aid of transfers. I mean, to use your logic, why would any high school QB sign with the Griz with their recent trend of bringing in transfers?

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

So you went from plugging holes to replace? So which is it? Sure, it might make a difference to a high school kid, but if so, I think it is minimal in the overall picture. Coaches will make the moves necessary to get better. I think people are making way to much out of the process of building an oline with the aid of transfers. I mean, to use your logic, why would any high school QB sign with the Griz with their recent trend of bringing in transfers?

Who was the last HS QB that started for the Griz (and not because of injury)?

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Who was the last HS QB that started for the Griz (and not because of injury)?
Gustafson in '16

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:
Gustafson in '16

Actually it was Jensen in ‘17, but the point remains. Bobby likes him some transfers.

The large share of the Big Sky QB's are drop downs/transfers and it has been that way for awhile. With the portal it will be the norm. And the Frontier has had a lot of former Griz and Cat backup QB's. The cycle of life.

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:
Gustafson in '16

Actually it was Jensen in ‘17, but the point remains. Bobby likes him some transfers.

Bobby 1.0 brought in Craig Ochs and then handed the reigns to Cole Bergquist. Bobby 2.0 first had Dalton Sneed and then let Cam and Kris Brown battle it out. Cam won the job in fall camp and when he went down, Brown showed that he’s probably not ready to be D1 starter yet so he brought in one more guy for a Sr season. I’d say it’s a definite safe bet that next year Britt or Brown will more then likely win the starting job and then you’ll have your non-transfer QB, just like next year you’ll start to see more HS recruited lineman on the O line, except for Forbes and Mayginnis who will be Sr’s.

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:
Gustafson in '16

Plus, if your position group is young and inexperienced and you have an older more seasoned player want to come here and play, why not keep that option open? It’s not great team management to not use all the tools available to you and handicap yourself where your competitors are utilizing a wide open pool of older, possibly better players to choose from. These guys are usually FBS cus they were better then the recruits that went to the FCS when they were high school Sr’s. The transfer portal is going to open up many more options then just high school Sr’s way more then years past. Times are changing. Quit using an abacus when there’s calculators out there now AZ.

Back