• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz Cuts

PlayerRep said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:
https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1386815473556156417

3 freshman. 2 from Montana. 1 Native American.

By comparison. As frosh, Gfeller, J. Scheynen, Anderson and Frohlich averaged 3.2, 2.4, 1.8 and 1.4 points.
With a covid year and the portal being such major factors in recent years its causing chaos. Past years would have seen girls in redshirts with room to develop. Also it was a hard task to transfer without letters of reason and loss of eligibility for a year without a waiver. PPG in my opinion is not a valid measuring tool when it comes to young players. You need minutes per game to show a truer picture. Only one girl mentioned got good minutes as a freshman and lead the team in 3 point attempts. No surprise there. And then when they are in the situational things come up as well. Could be scrub minutes with shot jackers or turn over players. Don't take this wrong as I'm making a case one way or another. I would rather have girls come here have a full and successful career an leave knowing they loved their experience their team and coach. If we keep reshuffling the deck every year or girls constantly leave fans will lose interest. Mens side has gone that way to me as its becoming harder to identify with players. This bottle neck needs to be fixed. NCAA just keeps kicking the can down the road.

maroonandsilver said:
Most of us who follow the Lady Griz know that the back end of the roster was weak. There have been many posts over the season stating that only a few on the current roster had D-1 ability. From an administrator in the Athletic Department to me just last week: "there are only four current Lady Griz who are of Division One quality".
Cuts were going to happen regardless of who was named coach, even Petrino. From a Lady Griz staffer to a sports media friend of mine after one of the losses to Idaho State: "We just don't have the horses". Petrino and his staff were actively working the Transfer Portal, but made no offers pending the coaching hire.

I agree completely. I have said for a while now this roster has more NAIA players on it than any other roster in the Big Sky. Holsinger was hired to come here and win, nothing else, just win. I have no issue whatsoever with whatever he needs to do to turn this roster over to start winning. This is big girl basketball, this is not intramural league, this is not the frontier conference..... find the right players and win.

helenaumfan said:
This is D1 college sports. This is not rec league.

The players are given a scholarship to help win games. If the team is not winning games then tough decisions need to be made.

Is it fair to the kids that have busted there butts and are still allegedly getting cut? No, but nothing in life is fair.

I also have no problem with kids transferring to different schools. Sometimes it is best to cut ties and move on.

Sweet we won!!!! Wait who are those girls???
Just saying....
Probably different when you live in Missoula and see these girls in the community. Years past it they were easily spotted because they tall blondes and overly tanned.

I have seen mention in numerous places that top D1 programs, both in football and basketball, will center the majority of recruiting around the portal for the foreseeable future and put less time into high school recruiting.

HelenaHandBasket said:
I have seen mention in numerous places that top D1 programs, both in football and basketball, will center the majority of recruiting around the portal for the foreseeable future and put less time into high school recruiting.
That's sad. The great thing about UM is as long as Bobby and Decuire are both here, they will never take that route. They take pride in recruiting high school kids and only bring in transfers to fill immediate areas of need. IDK if that will be the case with Holsinger or not, but right now I'm fine with him hitting the portal hard.

2020-2021 roster departures:

Hannah Thurmon
Bria Dixson
Karsen Murphy
Joelnell Molmberg
Madi Schoening

Is that it or should we expect more departures to be announced soon?

Grizrunr said:

Hannah Thurmon
Bria Dixson
Karsen Murphy
Joelnell Molmberg
Madi Schoening

more

Grizrunr said:

Hannah Thurmon
Bria Dixson
Karsen Murphy
Joelnell Molmberg
Madi Schoening

Madi is graduating. She has taken a job teaching and coaching in her hometown of Sandpoint, Idaho.

maroonandsilver said:
Grizrunr said:

Hannah Thurmon
Bria Dixson
Karsen Murphy
Joelnell Molmberg
Madi Schoening

Madi is graduating. She has taken a job teaching and coaching in her hometown of Sandpoint, Idaho.

Quitter....

Jus kidden. Congrats to her. We NEED more good teachers. Hope she gets a deserving salary.

Good luck, Madi. Hope your salary, administration, parents, and students are worthy of your commitment to your chosen profession. :thumb:

alabamagrizzly said:
maroonandsilver said:

Quitter....

Jus kidden. Congrats to her. We NEED more good teachers. Hope she gets a deserving salary.

The good ol’ days are over. Haslam obviously made the decision to flush the system and bring fresh water into a clearly stagnant pond.

Selvig’s last few years were a slow slide into mediocrity. Then the ill fated Shannon years (they went with the wrong assistant coach on that one). The Petrino interim year was just that, a year to make him the sacrificial lamb.

I agree that the victims in all of this are the kids who were drug through this mess. Holsinger has a tough job and hopefully he’s up to it.

CopperGold14 said:
The good ol’ days are over. Haslam obviously made the decision to flush the system and bring fresh water into a clearly stagnant pond.

Selvig’s last few years were a slow slide into mediocrity. Then the ill fated Shannon years (they went with the wrong assistant coach on that one). The Petrino interim year was just that, a year to make him the sacrificial lamb.

I agree that the victims in all of this are the kids who were drug through this mess. Holsinger has a tough job and hopefully he’s up to it.

This is an astute post.

I was a little surprised to see that Bria Dixson wouldn't be on the roster going forward. I really thought she would be a solid player for UM over her career. But I guess that's the nature of the beast and the direction coach Holsinger wants to go in putting his own stamp on the program didn't feel the same way. Since it sounds like Momberg and Murphy are all but gone as well (per Colter's earlier post), it remains to be seen if the Schweyen daughters, the two Australians (Myah Morris-Nelson and Lauren Mills), plus Kyndall Keller and Willa Albrecht will be back for next season.

I would expect that Anderson, Gfeller, Stiles, and Frohlich should be safe.

Time will tell how the rest of the roster shakes out but if Keller and Albrecht don't make it there is something wrong--they are young but both have some talent and just need development. Nothing against the Australians but if they make the cut there is really something wrong. Mills in particular was a non-factor.

CopperGold14 said:

Nice post! Agree that we would be in much better place had we hired Olson-Duce instead, instead went with the popular choice that was a predicted train wreck.

wyomingriz said:
CopperGold14 said:

Nice post! Agree that we would be in much better place had we hired Olson-Duce instead, instead went with the popular choice that was a predicted train wreck.

I heard a few years ago from a sports-media person, that Robin wanted Trish as his replacement. Trish is happy, tho. Computers are her deal. And no coaching stress.

PlayerRep said:
CopperGold14 said:

This is an astute post.

I couldn't have said it better in 2000 words.

I have tried my best to abstain from this conversation because when it comes to participation of Montana born athletes, the head coach can't win unless he or she has a roster replete with Montana kids. The Lady Griz were and always have been the gold standard because no only was the roster 90% Montana girls, they were successful.

The Lady Griz stopped getting all the best Montana girls more than a decade ago and the percentage of players capable of making an impact has dropped every year of who have signed LOI's from Montana since. The best Montana girls at the D1 level or anywhere else weren't in Missoula, they were in Helena, Bozeman, Moscow...but anywhere but Missoula. Place blame where ever you want, but the stark reality is that the Montana girls that are in this program over the past few years haven't been difference makers.

I wanted Momberg to work out because I always root for players from the Golden Triangle. On an incredibly average roster, Dixson, Momberg and Murphy couldn't make an impact. All were buried at the back of the rotation where Petrino would have played anyone that advanced the program this year. As for Momberg and Murphy, they got caught in a numbers game where Holsinger and staff had to make so clear decisions about who they thought could impact the program immediately. Maybe they both transfer to other BSC teams and terrorize the crap out of Montana for the next four years. I just don't know that will be the case.

If Montana is going to be competitive again, they have to get the best Montana girls year in and year out and that didn't happen under Shannon. Holsinger is going to have to rebuild some relationships that were clearly frayed that Bindford clearly took advantage of. He might have made enemies by making a calculated decision to ask girls to take a reduced role, accept walk-on status to remain in the program but in the long run, fixing the roster probably took precedence over whether they were Montana girls or not.

Back