• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz Cuts

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
Do we know for a fact that they were “cut?” I know in his interviews he was saying he’d meet with all the players, be honest with them and say here’s what we’re doing, here’s what I expect. Are you in or out?”

Is this a case of him meeting them and saying look, you can stay, but you won’t have a scholarship and you can earn one if you play good enough (effectively “cutting” them without technically doing it). Or is this him saying, you’re not good enough pack your gym shoes and go?

To me, if you are told you are losing your scholarship, you are effectively cut. Except in unusual situations, like the Timmy Falls one.

From someone closer to the action:

It’s true. Not a good situation. Maybe 5-7.

The Native American tradition in Montana basketball, on both the men's and women's side, is legendary. I started counting this morning and got to twenty names stretching back decades and have probably forgotten that many more. The Lady Griz, especially, have been the beneficiary of this incredible talent pool, and no new coach should be foolish enough to overlook it.

I remember a story many years ago about Malia Kipp, who I think was a four-year starter for the Lady Griz. On her recruiting trip she was sitting in Robin Selvig's office when she noticed all the books he had on Native American culture. Whether he knew she was aware of these books or not, she wasn't sure. But it was one of the moments that endeared her to Selvig and the Lady Griz.

I doubt Lady Griz basketball would have the reputation it does today without all the Native talent that Selvig recruited, including Kipp, Mandy Morales and Dana Conway among several others. For this I give Selvig tremendous credit. And for Brian Holsinger a note: Pay attention!

PlayerRep said:
If true, my initial reaction, from row 1 seats, is FU Brian, and the people who hired you. You can have my seats, but I look forward to dogging the you. I assume you can figure out how to attract better players. But you won't have my support if you have cut players. Are you cutting the Native American girl, and will you not recruit Native Americans? I will be curious to see how the the LG support goes, with players cut and out of state players brought in. I bet the guy doesn't have the balls to cut Shannon's daughters.

You don't even know here name? Given all the players you and your son and your nephew "know"...I'd expect you'd know the "Native American girl". But can't even come up with a name. She must not be "model" quality.

And if 5 - 7 players were really "cut" who were they? You're in the know and talked to a bunch of them just last week. Why don't you or your nephew or your son call one of the model quality players you know? You can ask them what "Native American girl's name" is and find which 5 - 7 got cut!

If Petrino was a quality coach like some of you say he was, and if the girls on the team were truly D-I material then they should have done much better last season. If we have brought in a "better coach" but the girls are not the quality he is looking for then they will still struggle again this year. In a win now business the new coach needs to do what he feels is best for his team and staff.

Don't get me wrong I feel terrible for the girls that have been cut, once a Griz always a Griz I hope they find success.
I truly love the Lady Griz basketball program and loved that it was built on Montana players (including 3 of my highscool classmates).
The sport has changed and it will be important to widen the recruiting and hopefully a core group of Montana girls will always be part of the mix.

Ultimately cuts were made with the arrival of the new coach. It's his call to evaluate and make the determination of who can help him. I for one don't like the situational thing associated with the portal. Sports programs are going to see student athletes wash out of college. And as fan we get to know these kids. Follow and support them. The transfer portal is doing major damage to kids with over 800 +girls in the portal this year and 1200+ boys. I believe we are just short of 400 D1 programs. The trend will continue unless the this coach gets his recruits right the FIRST time and can bring back the close knit squads of the Robin era. Some times when rebuilding or remodeling a damaged home you have to tear it down some.

PlayerRep said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
Do we know for a fact that they were “cut?” I know in his interviews he was saying he’d meet with all the players, be honest with them and say here’s what we’re doing, here’s what I expect. Are you in or out?”

Is this a case of him meeting them and saying look, you can stay, but you won’t have a scholarship and you can earn one if you play good enough (effectively “cutting” them without technically doing it). Or is this him saying, you’re not good enough pack your gym shoes and go?

To me, if you are told you are losing your scholarship, you are effectively cut. Except in unusual situations, like the Timmy Falls one.

In my experience with these types of meetings there is also a 3rd option. We will honor your scholarship, but I don’t see you playing other than mop-up minutes at the end of

PlayerRep said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:

Fair - I was coming from the perspective of being a part of larger team (i.e. track), where you pretty much have to earn your scholarship each year. Not overly unusual in those sports to lose a scholarship, but still keep competing as a "walk on" and have the ability to earn scholarship back.

Smaller numbered sports (i.e. basketball) - what you said makes sense.

Most of us who follow the Lady Griz know that the back end of the roster was weak. There have been many posts over the season stating that only a few on the current roster had D-1 ability. From an administrator in the Athletic Department to me just last week: "there are only four current Lady Griz who are of Division One quality".
Cuts were going to happen regardless of who was named coach, even Petrino. From a Lady Griz staffer to a sports media friend of mine after one of the losses to Idaho State: "We just don't have the horses". Petrino and his staff were actively working the Transfer Portal, but made no offers pending the coaching hire.

maroonandsilver said:
Most of us who follow the Lady Griz know that the back end of the roster was weak. There have been many posts over the season stating that only a few on the current roster had D-1 ability. From an administrator in the Athletic Department to me just last week: "there are only four current Lady Griz who are of Division One quality".
Cuts were going to happen regardless of who was named coach, even Petrino. From a Lady Griz staffer to a sports media friend of mine after one of the losses to Idaho State: "We just don't have the horses". Petrino and his staff were actively working the Transfer Portal, but made no offers pending the coaching hire.

I believe this was true as well. I'll add to it. With the girls leaving before Mike got the program left the team young an inexperienced. There are a couple of the freshmen that have the potential to become D1. They just didn't come along as fast as Mike needed.

After all this conversation and speculation does anyone know for certain what players will not be returning?

ThinkingGriz said:
Griz1 said:
After all this conversation and speculation does anyone know for certain what players will not be returning?

Brian does.

Good point. Plus we all know that PR, although he is not a player, won't be returning.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
ThinkingGriz said:
Brian does.

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1386815473556156417

3 freshman. 2 from Montana. 1 Native American.

By comparison. As frosh, Gfeller, J. Scheynen, Anderson and Frohlich averaged 3.2, 2.4, 1.8 and 1.4 points.

Lady Griz began in 1974, same coach through 2016. Definition of success. His long time assistant, and arguably best former player takes over, team nosedives. Interim coach appointed from, then current coaching staff. Phffft!
This is the only REAL hire since Selvig. Expectation: Bring the Lady Griz back to where they were, at a minimum. How does he do it? I assume he has a plan. It's his future as well as the Lady Griz and the University in general. A lot is hanging on his success. To micro manage his every decision is counter productive.
Playing the race card is ridiculous. Is he supposed to use national, regional, or Montana demographics in his decisions? Big differences. His job is to be successful, not politically correct.
Just my take.

ThinkingGriz said:
Ultimately cuts were made with the arrival of the new coach. It's his call to evaluate and make the determination of who can help him. I for one don't like the situational thing associated with the portal. Sports programs are going to see student athletes wash out of college. And as fan we get to know these kids. Follow and support them. The transfer portal is doing major damage to kids with over 800 +girls in the portal this year and 1200+ boys. I believe we are just short of 400 D1 programs. The trend will continue unless the this coach gets his recruits right the FIRST time and can bring back the close knit squads of the Robin era. Some times when rebuilding or remodeling a damaged home you have to tear it down some.

In so many kids minds - The Grass is greener over there! :roll:

Back