• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz Cuts

MikeyGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
If true, my initial reaction, from row 1 seats, is FU Brian, and the people who hired you. You can have my seats, but I look forward to dogging the you. I assume you can figure out how to attract better players. But you won't have my support if you have cut players. Are you cutting the Native American girl, and will you not recruit Native Americans? I will be curious to see how the the LG support goes, with players cut and out of state players brought in. I bet the guy doesn't have the balls to cut Shannon's daughters.

Will the team even notice you are gone?

The dance team might. Ha.

As did PlayerRep, I wrote letters to Haslam & the hoops search team. Briefly, I cited “Tons of Evidence” FOR hiring interim coach Mike Petrino & staff for 4 years. No go. But I trust the process. College athletics is a tough biz, into which kids are shaken & tossed. Right now, I’m thinking --- and wishing, “All the Best” to Griz players & coaches hunting for new gigs. Roll the dice again...

Petrino & staff had a monumental (impossible) task: Build a winner, in one season, inheriting the previous coach’s roster and W-L record. The brutal truth: No new-hire coach would be naive enough to sign a contract (even for four years) under those terms; and Brian Holsinger deserves the right to build his own program. Starting today. I’ll be there. Go Griz.

grizzlyjournal said:
As did PlayerRep, I wrote letters to Haslam & the hoops search team. Briefly, I cited “Tons of Evidence” FOR hiring Mike Petrino & staff. No go. But I trust the process. College athletics is a tough biz, into which kids are shaken & tossed. Right now, I’m thinking --- and wishing, “All the Best” to Griz players & coaches hunting for new gigs. Roll the dice again...

Petrino & staff had a monumental (impossible) task: Build a winner, in one season, inheriting the previous coach’s roster and W-L record. The brutal truth: No new-hire coach would be naive enough to sign a contract (even for four years) under those terms; and Brian Holsinger deserves the right to build his own program. Starting today. I’ll be there. Go Griz.

Well said.

This isn't Little Dribblers. Everybody from players to coaches to athletic directors to college presidents know the drill: Win or else. For all the rah-rah types sitting in row one cheering on "our girls" there's a ruthless money-driven agenda behind college athletics, especially the revenue-producing sports, of which, at Montana, the Lady Griz are one.

Thus any coach sitting on this hot-seat has the right to bring in his own system, his own staff and his own players. Hissyfits and threats aside, PlayerRep damned well knows that.

helenaumfan said:
This is D1 college sports. This is not rec league.

The players are given a scholarship to help win games. If the team is not winning games then tough decisions need to be made.

Is it fair to the kids that have busted there butts and are still allegedly getting cut? No, but nothing in life is fair.

I also have no problem with kids transferring to different schools. Sometimes it is best to cut ties and move on.

Good post. But let me add a personal view.

Society for a long time has taken advantage of young people. From McDonald's exploiting kids for slave wages, to law firms and film studios paying nothing for internships, to advertisers, big media and the NCAA raking in billions off college athletes. But always under the banner of ALTRUISM--"first job" at McDonald's or "work experience" for interns or "student-athlete" for college kids.

Kids for too long have been treated like indentured servants in this country but now, at the the very least, college athletes have a chance to get out of a bad situation through the transfer portal. Our very own Bobby Hauck has called the transfer portal "unsustainable," but for whom? Him? College coaches who jump ship for better salaries, as did Hauck?

I'm loving the portal. A chance for kids to seek greener pastures, and for coaches to instantly upgrade their programs. What's not to like? Why is it not "sustainable?"

Coaches need to win, and need freedom for their own staff and players. D1 sports is cut-throat, not Y-Ball. Many have claimed some NAIA talent on this team. Such talent weeds itself in other sports, such as football. Should here too. There is some definite D1 talent on this team too, just to be clear.

The coach picked needed to be the best fit available. Period. The AD owes the University this. The search should have happened last year IMO. But it didn't. Being an "interim given a monumental task" does not meet or change the criterion of the best fit available. The interim position did give him an opportunity to suddenly become the best fit available ."Did he do enough to get an extension" is a question asked for non-interim coaches and thus a moot point in this case. "Did he do enough to become the best fit available given all candidates" doesn't appear to be the case. I'm sure some can argue otherwise, but many people are instead changing the criteria of the hire.

The portal does hurt in that it reduces both the players identity with a team and the fans identity with them. That will popularity and attendance. But it is fair for the players, which is most important. Note a free transfer only happens once. After that there is a year-of sitting unless you have a degree (grad transfer). Once the initial wave of transfers happen, it will die down a bit to a steady state.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:
No accusations made.

PlayerRep said:
Are you cutting the Native American girl, and will you not recruit Native Americans?

This just seemed like a large leap based on the information at hand. Not sure why you had to bring up race at this juncture.

What do you disagree with? I made no leap. It's not "bringing up race" to ask the question I asked.

citay said:
grizzlyjournal said:
As did PlayerRep, I wrote letters to Haslam & the hoops search team. Briefly, I cited “Tons of Evidence” FOR hiring Mike Petrino & staff. No go. But I trust the process. College athletics is a tough biz, into which kids are shaken & tossed. Right now, I’m thinking --- and wishing, “All the Best” to Griz players & coaches hunting for new gigs. Roll the dice again...

Well said.

This isn't Little Dribblers. Everybody from players to coaches to athletic directors to college presidents know the drill: Win or else. For all the rah-rah types sitting in row one cheering on "our girls" there's a ruthless money-driven agenda behind college athletics, especially the revenue-producing sports, of which, at Montana, the Lady Griz are one.

Thus any coach sitting on this hot-seat has the right to bring in his own system, his own staff and his own players. Hissyfits and threats aside, PlayerRep damned well knows that.

There isn't a "ruthless money-driven agenda" sitting behind Montana. That is the point.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
This just seemed like a large leap based on the information at hand. Not sure why you had to bring up race at this juncture.

What do you disagree with? I made no leap. It's not "bringing up race" to ask the question I asked.

But why did the question about Native Americans even need to be asked? Why would you assume that the new coaching staff wouldn't recruit Native Americans?

grizzlyjournal said:
As did PlayerRep, I wrote letters to Haslam & the hoops search team. Briefly, I cited “Tons of Evidence” FOR hiring interim coach Mike Petrino & staff for 4 years. No go. But I trust the process. College athletics is a tough biz, into which kids are shaken & tossed. Right now, I’m thinking --- and wishing, “All the Best” to Griz players & coaches hunting for new gigs. Roll the dice again...

I was there when Robin was the coach, when Shannon was the coach and when Mike was the coach, and I will be there for Brian and Lady Griz basketball. It is not about me! It is about the school and the program. Do I care about the players who are no longer part of the program? Absolutely! But they have had an opportunity than many other players didn't have. I wish them the very best.

Most of us had opportunities in life that maybe we shouldn't have had. Some of these opportunities have resulted in success and others in disappointment. Maybe one should look at this situation a little differently. From that viewpoint, maybe the girls that have lost their scholarships were overachievers to obtain a D1 offer in the first place. How many other offers from D1 programs did they have, if any? Maybe they should not have been recruited at this level to begin with. But they were! They were given an opportunity to prove themselves and came up short, not because of their fault, but because the coaches inability to identify the level that they maybe should have been at or the failure to develop their skill set. How many of us would have jumped at the opportunity if it were presented to us? I dare say most of us would.

citay said:
helenaumfan said:
This is D1 college sports. This is not rec league.

The players are given a scholarship to help win games. If the team is not winning games then tough decisions need to be made.

Is it fair to the kids that have busted there butts and are still allegedly getting cut? No, but nothing in life is fair.

I also have no problem with kids transferring to different schools. Sometimes it is best to cut ties and move on.

Good post. But let me add a personal view.

Society for a long time has taken advantage of young people. From McDonald's exploiting kids for slave wages, to law firms and film studios paying nothing for internships, to advertisers, big media and the NCAA raking in billions off college athletes. But always under the banner of ALTRUISM--"first job" at McDonald's or "work experience" for interns or "student-athlete" for college kids.

Kids for too long have been treated like indentured servants in this country but now, at the the very least, college athletes have a chance to get out of a bad situation through the transfer portal. Our very own Bobby Hauck has called the transfer portal "unsustainable," but for whom? Him? College coaches who jump ship for better salaries, as did Hauck?

I'm loving the portal. A chance for kids to seek greener pastures, and for coaches to instantly upgrade their programs. What's not to like? Why is it not "sustainable?"

Hauck didn't come to UM for a better salary. And he didn't leave for a huge salary a couple years.

You just push narratives without facts. Much of what you said is not true. You must be from CA. How soon do you expect to be discussing our Power Five backcourt.

Griz1 said:
grizzlyjournal said:

I was there when Robin was the coach, when Shannon was the coach and when Mike was the coach, and I will be there for Brian and Lady Griz basketball. It is not about me! It is about the school and the program. Do I care about the players who are no longer part of the program? Absolutely! But they have had an opportunity than many other players didn't have. I wish them the very best.

Most of us had opportunities in life that maybe we shouldn't have had. Some of these opportunities have resulted in success and others in disappointment. Maybe one should look at this situation a little differently. From that viewpoint, maybe the girls that have lost their scholarships were overachievers to obtain a D1 offer in the first place. How many other offers from D1 programs did they have, if any? Maybe they should not have been recruited at this level to begin with. But they were! They were given an opportunity to prove themselves and came up short, not because of their fault, but because the coaches inability to identify the level that they maybe should have been at or the failure to develop their skill set. How many of us would have jumped at the opportunity if it were presented to us? I dare say most of us would.

The LG have barely met the new coach. He's barely been in town. What chance did he give them, to prove themselves? That's the point.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:

But why did the question about Native Americans even need to be asked? Why would you assume that the new coaching staff wouldn't recruit Native Americans?

Because I'm Native American and have enjoyed the NA's at UM over the decades. Selvig was terrific in that regard, and that's why he's a member of the MT Ind. Athletic Hall of Fame. He is probably the only non-Native in that hall of fame. I assume the coach is going to cut the one NA on the team, who was a frosh and didn't have a chance to play much. Word will get around in NA circles. I assume the coach has little or no recruiting contacts on reservations in MT. Will he keep an assistant with good NA connections? Would that be enough? Looks like he is going to want to bring established players from Pac-12 and other conferences, and players who were recruited at that level. I have my doubts that he will take a chance on NA players, or perhaps not other MT players either. I assume we are going to see less MT women. Do you think his upcoming transfers will be from MT? Jeez, there are lots of questions to ask. I'm the type of guy who looks down the road. I'm not stuck in the present. I think it's funny for you to have made the comments you made.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Because I'm Native American and have enjoyed the NA's at UM over the decades. Selvig was terrific in that regard, and that's why he's a member of the MT Ind. Athletic Hall of Fame. He is probably the only non-Native in that hall of fame. I assume the coach is going to cut the one NA on the team, who was a frosh and didn't have a chance to play much. Word will get around in NA circles. I assume the coach has little or no recruiting contacts on reservations in MT. Will he keep an assistant with good NA connections? Would that be enough? Looks like he is going to want to bring established players from Pac-12 and other conferences, and players who were recruited at that level. I have my doubts that he will take a chance on NA players, or perhaps not other MT players either. I assume we are going to see less MT women. Do you think his upcoming transfers will be from MT? Jeez, there are lots of questions to ask. I'm the type of guy who looks down the road. I'm not stuck in the present. I think it's funny for you to have made the comments you made.

I just assume that he will recruit the best players, and believe he will, whether they are Native American or not. It was almost like you were questioning his motives.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:

I just assume that he will recruit the best players, and believe he will, whether they are Native American or not. It was almost like you were questioning his motives.

He will likely recruit from where he has been recruiting and where he has recruiting contacts. I’m assuming he won’t have the time or interest to spend much time in learning to recruit. Momberg’s stepdad is a former Native American high school coach in MT and well known. Doubt that the new coach will get a recommendation from him, if his daughter is one of those being cut. Motive had nothing to do with my comment. You just jumped to conclusion like you frequently do.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

He will likely recruit from where he has been recruiting and where he has recruiting contacts. I’m assuming he won’t have the time or interest to spend much time in learning to recruit. Momberg’s stepdad is a former Native American high school coach in MT and well known. Doubt that the new coach will get a recommendation from him, if his daughter is one of those being cut. Motive had nothing to do with my comment. You just jumped to conclusion like you frequently do.

Yes he hasn't been here long, but do you think he really hasn't looked at ANY of the LG film from this last season before making cuts? I don't know. But I would hope he did do that and made an informed decision based off that. Not sure what else you would base your decision on otherwise.

PeauxRouge said:
PlayerRep said:

Yes he hasn't been here long, but do you think he really hasn't looked at ANY of the LG film from this last season before making cuts? I don't know. But I would hope he did do that and made an informed decision based off that. Not sure what else you would base your decision on otherwise.

Yes, I'm sure he looked at some tape. I read he had watched some tape before his interview. What tape is there on redshirts, young players who didn't play much, and injured players? How did he evaluate work ethic? How did he evaluate what kind of people the players are? We hear all these things how about important it is to evaluate these other things and how important these other things are.

Do you think he gave these players a fair shot?

I also wonder what the remaining players are thinking. With up to 7 being cut, a lot of new players will be brought in. Are some of them the coach's players? How secure are the spots of the remaining players? None of them are the coach's players. It was said on egriz that the players wanted Petrino as the coach.

This isn't all the fault of the new coach. It's also the fault of Haslam and how he handled things since Shannon was let go. I assume it isn't a surprise to Haslam that about half the team got moved on. I assume it is likely that the team will be good on the long run. But this isn't how I would have done this. My gripe is more with Haslam than the new coach.

Do we know for a fact that they were “cut?” I know in his interviews he was saying he’d meet with all the players, be honest with them and say here’s what we’re doing, here’s what I expect. Are you in or out?”

Is this a case of him meeting them and saying look, you can stay, but you won’t have a scholarship and you can earn one if you play good enough (effectively “cutting” them without technically doing it). Or is this him saying, you’re not good enough pack your gym shoes and go?

I think one can safely assume that assuming cuts were made he made them after talking with each player individually, taking with staff and watching film. There were likely some that chose not to stay, others were likely told they did not have the skills he is looking for. I personally think there is some real talent on this team but it is also pretty easy to figure out which players are gone and that is nothing against them at all. We all need to look forward and hope things work out. I am also very surprised, at this point, that we have heard nothing about whether or not any of the staff have been retained.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:

Would you be fine with the new coach cutting the whole existing team and starting over with recruits, players and transfers he knows?

Back