• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Honest Look At Grizzly Athletics

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
And Hauck is 1-3 against the ‘Scats.
Hauck is 6-5 vs. MSU. Try a little harder to be honest.

Serious question for Kem. It is very obvious that you are totally invested in Bobby Hauck. My question is this...... are you happy with the progress he has made in his five years since being hired? Do you think our program is on the right track for the future? Where do you think our 2023 team will be ranked pre-season Big Sky coaches poll? Just curious about your seemingly 100% support for Hauck, when many others question the direction of our program.

RoseyMustGo said:
kemajic said:

Serious question for Kem. It is very obvious that you are totally invested in Bobby Hauck. My question is this...... are you happy with the progress he has made in his five years since being hired?

I already asked that question (more or less) and have gotten no response. His last three seasons this team has finished 3rd, 4th and 6th. ANY other coach would be packing his bags right now and have for sale signs up in his front yard (courtesy of the fans).

RoseyMustGo said:
kemajic said:

Serious question for Kem. It is very obvious that you are totally invested in Bobby Hauck. My question is this...... are you happy with the progress he has made in his five years since being hired? Do you think our program is on the right track for the future? Where do you think our 2023 team will be ranked pre-season Big Sky coaches poll? Just curious about your seemingly 100% support for Hauck, when many others question the direction of our program.
Just doing some fact checking on many of the outrageous posts here does not make me "totally invested in Bobby Hauck." You can check my posts and find I have had numerous critiques of where we are. So no, I'm not happy where we are, I was in total shock with the implosion Saturday; I had far more confidence in our D than was justified. I never pay any attention to preseason rankings, I find them useless.

I've said on numerous occasions, long before Saturday, that BH is too stubborn (or arrogant) to make adjustments to his game plan when things go south. No better evidence than the 2009 NC game when we were sadly outcoached in the second half. He is overly loyal to his assistants and this is costing him. I am not a fan of the OC, either in scheme or play-calling. I respond to idiots who suggest all our problems on O are due to the OL, when in fact they're playing in a scheme and play calling that does not set them up for success. Maybe the overly conservative O approach is not all on the OC and may be due to a controlling HC, I don't claim to have insight on that dynamic. Yes, there is a bit of "playing to not lose" in the HC. This was a loaded senior-heavy team that was ideal to be far more aggressive on O and could have afforded to be less aggressive on D.

That said, I'm not one to throw the baby out with the bathwater over one embarrassing performance or even one disappointing season. You can claim there has been a downward trend, but in fact a win in Bozeman and the discussions would be entirely different. BH has a very admirable overall program and the education of his student athletes is a very high priority; where are the arguments about that? He bleeds Griz maroon and creates a lot of value in ways that don't show on the W/L. Yes, patience with stupid questions in the pressers is not one of them and I hate to watch. I know the man and family (his uncle Tom was my LB coach at UM) well enough to have a ton of respect, but I am less than hopeful that he will make big changes. I am hopeful last week and this unlucky season were bumps in the road and we can have better days without destructive over-reacting as so many on here want. It's hard to separate the impatient from the trolls. This program has a lot to lose with big change; we learned that with Engstrom and later with the Stitt hire.

The "where we are" and the last 5 years (four seasons) have not been normal in many ways with the covid debacle and the emergence of the portal. I am not yet out of patience but that could happen. I've never witnessed a performance like Saturday and it won't take many more of those for me to lose confidence. Meanwhile I just want to watch the product on the field and recognize the keyboard experts for what they are.

kemajic said:
RoseyMustGo said:
Just doing some fact checking on many of the outrageous posts here does not make me "totally invested in Bobby Hauck." You can check my posts and find I have had numerous critiques of where we are. So no, I'm not happy where we are, I was in total shock with the implosion Saturday; I had far more confidence in our D than was justified. I never pay any attention to preseason rankings, I find them useless.

I've said on numerous occasions, long before Saturday, that BH is too stubborn (or arrogant) to make adjustments to his game plan when things go south. No better evidence than the 2009 NC game when we were sadly outcoached in the second half. He is overly loyal to his assistants and this is costing him. I am not a fan of the OC, either in scheme or play-calling. I respond to idiots who suggest all our problems on O are due to the OL, when in fact they're playing in a scheme and play calling that does not set them up for success. Maybe the overly conservative O approach is not all on the OC and may be due to a controlling HC, I don't claim to have insight on that dynamic. Yes, there is a bit of "playing to not lose" in the HC. This was a loaded senior-heavy team that was ideal to be far more aggressive on O and could have afforded to be less aggressive on D.

That said, I'm not one to throw the baby out with the bathwater over one embarrassing performance or even one disappointing season. You can claim there has been a downward trend, but in fact a win in Bozeman and the discussions would be entirely different. BH has a very admirable overall program and the education of his student athletes is a very high priority; where are the arguments about that? He bleeds Griz maroon and creates a lot of value in ways that don't show on the W/L. Yes, patience with stupid questions in the pressers is not one of them and I hate to watch. I know the man and family (his uncle Tom was my LB coach at UM) well enough to have a ton of respect, but I am less than hopeful that he will make big changes. I am hopeful last week and this unlucky season were bumps in the road and we can have better days without destructive over-reacting as so many on here want. It's hard to separate the impatient from the trolls. This program has a lot to lose with big change; we learned that with Engstrom and later with the Stitt hire.

The "where we are" and the last 5 years (four seasons) have not been normal in many ways with the covid debacle and the emergence of the portal. I am not yet out of patience but that could happen. I've never witnessed a performance like Saturday and it won't take many more of those for me to lose confidence. Meanwhile I just want to watch the product on the field and recognize the keyboard experts for what they are.

Wonderful post, Kem!

kemajic said:
RoseyMustGo said:

Thanks Kem for your insightful post. I agree with much of it, but have a difficult time when looking at where we are now after 5 years of Hauck 2.0. I expected by now to be going deep into the playoffs and possibly playing in the NC game. I also have been very disappointed in our offense ever since Rosey took the reigns. And yet Bobby seems to endorse it. I know it is early to discuss our prospects for next season, but a look at our returning starters, and the loss of our best three defensive players, and our questions at the QB and O-line situations does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about next season.
We need to abandon this plug-n-play philosophy at QB and the O-line, and develop stability at those positions, instead of being required every year to seek a quick fix with drop-downs and transfers. The Bobcats have done exactly that, and I envy their approach versus ours.

AZGrizFan said:
RoseyMustGo said:
Serious question for Kem. It is very obvious that you are totally invested in Bobby Hauck. My question is this...... are you happy with the progress he has made in his five years since being hired?

I already asked that question (more or less) and have gotten no response. His last three seasons this team has finished 3rd, 4th and 6th. ANY other coach would be packing his bags right now and have for sale signs up in his front yard (courtesy of the fans).

I guess one thing that totally amazes me is the complacency from much of our fan base. As you pointed out, our last three seasons have been a progressive sinking in the Big Sky final standings, and yet the supporters of Bobby seem to dismiss this fact, and blame it on injuries etc. Hauck was brought back to win Big Sky titles again, and he stoked expectations with his RTD moniker, but has done nothing to fulfill that promise. And yet, his supporters remain steadfast. Puzzling to me.

One other quality of Hauck that I bristle over is his arrogant demeanor. Some fans love to compare him to Belichick and Sabin. But Belichick has won numerous Super Bowls, and Sabin has won multiple National Championships. Hauck has won nothing. A coach has to earn the right to be a prick, and Bobby has not done that! I feel certain that his surly attitude hurts in-state recruiting.

kemajic said:
RoseyMustGo said:

Nice post, and I appreciate the insight (and the skepticism). I gave Bobby a pass in the 2019 Brawl debacle as it was just his 2nd year back. But I (and many, many others) didn’t expect to be losing to the ‘Scats by 34 in year FIVE, especially after the dismantling he laid on them in Missoula last year. I am beginning to feel like this year’s Brawl in my mind was the equivalent of Stitt’s UNC game in ‘16. It’s going to take a phenomenal stretch by BH and his squad to get me back to truly believing again. And i just don’t think he’s wired in a way that that “stretch” is coming or imminent.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
And Hauck is 1-3 against the ‘Scats.

He is 1-3 this go around, if you are counting games from his first go around then you are living in the past… Those were different teams in a different era and had nothing to do with the rebuilding of the team we currently have

RoseyMustGo said:
AZGrizFan said:

I guess one thing that totally amazes me is the complacency from much of our fan base. As you pointed out, our last three seasons have been a progressive sinking in the Big Sky final standings, and yet the supporters of Bobby seem to dismiss this fact, and blame it on injuries etc. Hauck was brought back to win Big Sky titles again, and he stoked expectations with his RTD moniker, but has done nothing to fulfill that promise. And yet, his supporters remain steadfast. Puzzling to me.

One other quality of Hauck that I bristle over is his arrogant demeanor. Some fans love to compare him to Belichick and Sabin. But Belichick has won numerous Super Bowls, and Sabin has won multiple National Championships. Hauck has won nothing. A coach has to earn the right to be a prick, and Bobby has not done that! I feel certain that his surly attitude hurts in-state recruiting.

I completely agree with this part… I cringe every time I watch a press conference. Go watch one of Vigen's press conferences and then watch one of Bobby's, it's quite embarrassing if you ask me, not only for how our program is portrayed to the public but if I were a recruit who was still undecided about where to play in Montana and Montana State were both options, I definitely would not pick Montana based off of Bobby's demeanor/attitude and inability to talk about the ins and outs of games, opponents, or even our own team other than to say we need to play better or some generic thing like that.

Fahque said:
kemajic said:

He is 1-3 this go around, if you are counting games from his first go around then you are living in the past… Those were different teams in a different era and had nothing to do with the rebuilding of the team we currently have
There were no such qualifiers in AZ's post. I simply stated fact.

Honestly, no matter what happens in the playoffs, entering 2023 with the status quo is nothing short of insanity. And fixing what's wrong isn't simply a matter of changing coordinators or "tweaking." I hope not to hear anythiing like that in the post-season post-mortem. There are major philosophical & structural hurdles to get over. Changing those pillars of the program will necessitate a lot of other changes downstream. The simply "play harder" & out tough 'em" strategy is non-starter. Pretending that there shouldn't be any offensive stars is also a non-starter. All the false bravado and arrogance is also a non-starter. In general, doing what we've always done and getting what we've always got, is also a non-starter. This may be another step back to find firm footing before theyre able to truly compete for titles and bigger goals again. I'd accept that.

If he's going to be successful going forward, Hauck is going to have to adapt to the reality of today's players and embrace what it takes to find, develop, and coach them effectively. At every position. There are good examples of how to do that all over the BSC. Because while we can lay the blame at anyone's feet, the buck stops with him. If he really wants what he says he wants and loves these guys as much as he says, then it's time to make change.

O-line facts:

Grizzlies: We have two All-conference linemen, but have a pathetic and ineffective running game. Our two All-conference players are both drop-downs.

Cats: They have zero All-conference linemen, start all underclassmen, including three sophomores, and have the most devastating run game in America. All of their linemen were high school recruits.

Conclusion: Our recruiting of O-linemen is poor. And our coaching of O-linemen is poor. Just the facts.

mthoopsfan said:
Copper Griz said:
Apparently you struggle with reading comprehension. Current players and the noise is the problem. You can raise all the money in the world and be buddies with elderly boosters. When you have noise in the locker room you have problems. The coaches will tell you there is no noise. Boosters who are not critical will bury their head in the sand. Have at it. Doesn’t change the situation and the kids play the game. Not the coaches or the boosters. You should know since you played the game.

Yes, I played. And I had 3 kids play college sports. I have some relatives who were college coaches. I know that players often don't love their head coach, and maybe not their position coach either. The players don't get to make the decisions. They can retire or move on if they don't like things. And parents often complain about things. Yes, kids play the game, and the coaches coach the game and decide who plays. In some sports with fewer players, player uprising can get some action, like with Cate. But I don't ever recall a player uprising causing a football coach to be fired. Feel free to provide some examples.

Northern Colorado this week. Based on comments I’ve read they were about to mutiny. They had 41 players leave or transfer last year, and it was expected to get worse this year. So they fired MCafferty

Ursus1 said:
People made fun of the Vigan hire.....seems to me he was an excellent choice. The way he seems to be building a team is very impressive. They are young, they are a true next man up with injuries (their oline and RB's have been hit hard by injuries but the replacements play very well. They are even blessed with 2 QB's that can flat out play. They will even be better next year (return 20 starters !!!). It pains me to see with the impact players at UM that will graduate and/or leave by choice there are so many holes to fill with the transfer portal and current young guys. The depth is flat out not there to just be next man up to be at a level that is seed worthy come playoffs, or make a legit run at a conference title. Imagine needing to replace Welnel, Roberts, O'Connel, Ford, Dawson, Todd, Flowers, Walker, Alford, LJ, Matthews...even Robby.....let alone any others that decide they have had enough and move on AND still need backups that can play at a high level when one goes down because nature of the beast is injuries in this game. They lose about 1/2 the staring lineup. Bobby 2.0 is 5 years in and the cupboard isn't stocked and will once again rely of transfers being signed and panning out. That is rebuilding, not reloading.

Bobcats will not have 20 starters returning. Portal will bite them a bit also

ordigger said:
mthoopsfan said:
Copper Griz said:
Apparently you struggle with reading comprehension. Current players and the noise is the problem. You can raise all the money in the world and be buddies with elderly boosters. When you have noise in the locker room you have problems. The coaches will tell you there is no noise. Boosters who are not critical will bury their head in the sand. Have at it. Doesn’t change the situation and the kids play the game. Not the coaches or the boosters. You should know since you played the game.

Yes, I played. And I had 3 kids play college sports. I have some relatives who were college coaches. I know that players often don't love their head coach, and maybe not their position coach either. The players don't get to make the decisions. They can retire or move on if they don't like things. And parents often complain about things. Yes, kids play the game, and the coaches coach the game and decide who plays. In some sports with fewer players, player uprising can get some action, like with Cate. But I don't ever recall a player uprising causing a football coach to be fired. Feel free to provide some examples.

Northern Colorado this week. Based on comments I’ve read they were about to mutiny. They had 41 players leave or transfer last year, and it was expected to get worse this year. So they fired MCafferty
ordigger said:
mthoopsfan said:

He was 6-16. He only won 4 conference games. He had various problems. Alleged lack of preparation. Alleged ncaa volitions. Alleged favoritism to FBS transfers.

How many of the portal guys did he ask to move on? Part of this had to be cleaning house.

Where is your source or back up for transfers expected to get worse this year?

Thx.

kemajic said:
RoseyMustGo said:

Fantastic post Kem. Thanks. I obviously differ on some of position deficiencies (o-line), but your sentiment is essentially where I am as well. It's easy to rage for change, but HC changes are very difficult at places like UM as we all know...all too well.

bgbigdog said:
Honestly, no matter what happens in the playoffs, entering 2023 with the status quo is nothing short of insanity. And fixing what's wrong isn't simply a matter of changing coordinators or "tweaking." I hope not to hear anythiing like that in the post-season post-mortem. There are major philosophical & structural hurdles to get over. Changing those pillars of the program will necessitate a lot of other changes downstream. The simply "play harder" & out tough 'em" strategy is non-starter. Pretending that there shouldn't be any offensive stars is also a non-starter. All the false bravado and arrogance is also a non-starter. In general, doing what we've always done and getting what we've always got, is also a non-starter. This may be another step back to find firm footing before theyre able to truly compete for titles and bigger goals again. I'd accept that.

If he's going to be successful going forward, Hauck is going to have to adapt to the reality of today's players and embrace what it takes to find, develop, and coach them effectively. At every position. There are good examples of how to do that all over the BSC. Because while we can lay the blame at anyone's feet, the buck stops with him. If he really wants what he says he wants and loves these guys as much as he says, then it's time to make change.

Agreed 100%. I’d rather be 10-1 with ZERO All-BSC O-linemen, but guys who can actually perform their assignments and generate an offense that produces. I’m sure ‘Scat fans (and the players) are fine with that as well…the cultural difference between the two programs is striking.

RoseyMustGo said:
AZGrizFan said:

Again, the prior 2 seasons were Top 8 finishes with 10 wins and playoff wins. Why do you just ignore and focus on the virtually meaningless conference rank? UM has lost to 4 playoff games, 2 seeded. Almost everyone believes UM would have beaten SS and Weber with Johnson. UM is rated 4th in the Sagarin and 10th in the Massey. There’s a home playoff game on Saturday. I’m excited. If you aren’t excited, then there is no hope for you. You are just a complainer who doesn’t understand sport.

mthoopsfan said:
RoseyMustGo said:

Again, the prior 2 seasons were Top 8 finishes with 10 wins and playoff wins. Why do you just ignore and focus on the virtually meaningless conference rank? UM has lost to 4 playoff games, 2 seeded. Almost everyone believes UM would have beaten SS and Weber with Johnson. UM is rated 4th in the Sagarin and 10th in the Massey. There’s a home playoff game on Saturday. I’m excited. If you aren’t excited, then there is no hope for you. You are just a complainer who doesn’t understand sport.

Most people think the Seahawks would have won the Super Bowl if they had given Lynch the ball. Some how though, that Lombardi rests in New England, so who really cares if people think "they" would have won

AZGrizFan said:
bgbigdog said:

Agreed 100%. I’d rather be 10-1 with ZERO All-BSC O-linemen, but guys who can actually perform their assignments and generate an offense that produces. I’m sure ‘Scat fans (and the players) are fine with that as well…the cultural difference between the two programs is striking.

Hauck is going to be the head coach next year no matter what happens. There will no attempt by the athletic department or the top boosters/supporters to do otherwise. Some of the assistants are getting older, Baer, and could retire, I suppose. Maybe some others too.

UM football is never at status quo. It is always looking to improve facilities and keep being successful.

There are zero major philosophical and structural hurdles to overcome. ZERO.

birddog, no one of note associated with the Griz football program agrees with you or cares what you think. Sorry.

Back