• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Honest Look At Grizzly Athletics

mthoopsfan said:
RoseyMustGo said:
I guess one thing that totally amazes me is the complacency from much of our fan base. As you pointed out, our last three seasons have been a progressive sinking in the Big Sky final standings, and yet the supporters of Bobby seem to dismiss this fact, and blame it on injuries etc. Hauck was brought back to win Big Sky titles again, and he stoked expectations with his RTD moniker, but has done nothing to fulfill that promise. And yet, his supporters remain steadfast. Puzzling to me.

One other quality of Hauck that I bristle over is his arrogant demeanor. Some fans love to compare him to Belichick and Sabin. But Belichick has won numerous Super Bowls, and Sabin has won multiple National Championships. Hauck has won nothing. A coach has to earn the right to be a prick, and Bobby has not done that! I feel certain that his surly attitude hurts in-state recruiting.

Again, the prior 2 seasons were Top 8 finishes with 10 wins and playoff wins. Why do you just ignore and focus on the virtually meaningless conference rank? UM has lost to 4 playoff games, 2 seeded. Almost everyone believes UM would have beaten SS and Weber with Johnson. UM is rated 4th in the Sagarin and 10th in the Massey. There’s a home playoff game on Saturday. I’m excited. If you aren’t excited, then there is no hope for you. You are just a complainer who doesn’t understand sport.

Wouldhave, Couldhave, Shouldhave.......... all lame excuses. As Al Davis once said "Just WIN baby!"

indiancoyote said:
mthoopsfan said:
Again, the prior 2 seasons were Top 8 finishes with 10 wins and playoff wins. Why do you just ignore and focus on the virtually meaningless conference rank? UM has lost to 4 playoff games, 2 seeded. Almost everyone believes UM would have beaten SS and Weber with Johnson. UM is rated 4th in the Sagarin and 10th in the Massey. There’s a home playoff game on Saturday. I’m excited. If you aren’t excited, then there is no hope for you. You are just a complainer who doesn’t understand sport.

Most people think the Seahawks would have won the Super Bowl if that had given Lynch the ball. Some how though, that Lombardi rests in New England, so who really cares if people think "they" would have won

And if my aunts had a penis, they'd be my uncles

SoldierGriz
eGriz Club

It's easy to rage for change, but HC changes are very difficult at places like UM as we all know...all too well.

I've heard this sentiment before from other posteres. Soldier, could you or someone else explain this to me. It sounds like BS but if there are logical reasons and solid facts to support this hypothisis then lets get them out. I'm just not understanding why change should be more difficult at UM that MSU or Idaho. If fact it seems to me that the opposite should be true. With all the facilities and fan base it seems like good canidates would be crawling out the woodwork to coach here and I'm guessing they could go 7-4 with ease. So if it can't be proven, or at least justified, I would hope it would come off the table as reason for no change (to the program; not necessarily the HC). Thanks

sdk.catfish said:
SoldierGriz
eGriz Club

It's easy to rage for change, but HC changes are very difficult at places like UM as we all know...all too well.

I've heard this sentiment before from other posteres. Soldier, could you or someone else explain this to me. It sounds like BS but if there are logical reasons and solid facts to support this hypothisis then lets get them out. I'm just not understanding why change should be more difficult at UM that MSU or Idaho. If fact it seems to me that the opposite should be true. With all the facilities and fan base it seems like good canidates would be crawling out the woodwork to coach here and I'm guessing they could go 7-4 with ease. So if it can't be proven, or at least justified, I would hope it would come off the table as reason for no change (to the program; not necessarily the HC). Thanks

Stitt. That and firing Pflu set the program back for many years.

sdk.catfish said:
SoldierGriz
eGriz Club

I agree with your post. To me, if you believe this, then you are basically saying that we are afraid to take a chance on hiring a new coach, because he might be worse than the one we have? Every hire is a chance, until he proves himself on the field. The hiring of Bobby Hauck the first time was a real stretch IMO. He had not even been a coordinator before he was given the reigns of our program. But that is what an AD gets paid to do, hire great coaches. Haslam obviously failed hiring Stitt, but there are plenty of great young coaches out there who would love to coach this program. It is Haslam's job to find one.

mthoopsfan said:
sdk.catfish said:

Those two things, in and of themselves, did not set the program back for many years… It was all the other stuff going on around those two things and subsequent sanctions that set Montana's football program back

RoseyMustGo said:
sdk.catfish said:

I agree with your post. To me, if you believe this, then you are basically saying that we are afraid to take a chance on hiring a new coach, because he might be worse than the one we have? Every hire is a chance, until he proves himself on the field. The hiring of Bobby Hauck the first time was a real stretch IMO. He had not even been a coordinator before he was given the reigns of our program. But that is what an AD gets paid to do, hire great coaches. Haslam obviously failed hiring Stitt, but there are plenty of great young coaches out there who would love to coach this program. It is Haslam's job to find one.

... I would take chances with guys like Andy Thompson...young but they been around winning programs...
he would bring in younger talented coaching...if NFL teams can make changes so can UM....Im not
suggesting getting rid of Hauck yet...but if he rides on the statuesque without changes to his personnel
than yes make the change at HC...IMO

mthoopsfan wrote: ↑Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:29 pm

Sorry but those two examples are neither logical or factual from my point of view. They may be your opinion on why not to do something but it doesn't get to the point of why this is any more difficult at UM than MSU or Idaho. Stitt was a mistake made 8 years ago. If those in business refuse to make hard decisions now because of a mistake they made 8 years ago they probably won't be in business much longer. The Pflu thing is just irrelevent and so far in the past it is meaningless. Thanks for reply but I'm really looking for the reason why some say coaching or program change are more difficult at UM that other places. Can you please take a stab at that?

sdk.catfish said:

Thanks for reply but I'm really looking for the reason why some say coaching or program change are more difficult at UM that other places. Can you please take a stab at that?

Well this is just a guess, but it’s not outside of the realm of possibility that bi UM boosters have an inordinate amount of pull when it comes to decision making as it pertains to the football program. Again, this is just me shooting from the hip.

RoseyMustGo said:
indiancoyote said:
Most people think the Seahawks would have won the Super Bowl if that had given Lynch the ball. Some how though, that Lombardi rests in New England, so who really cares if people think "they" would have won

And if my aunts had a penis, they'd be my uncles

Now that would make for some fun Thanksgiving dinners!

Fahque said:
mthoopsfan said:

Those two things, in and of themselves, did not set the program back for many years… It was all the other stuff going on around those two things and subsequent sanctions that set Montana's football program back

Not true. Most of the other things were minor distractions.

sdk.catfish said:

Sorry but those two examples are neither logical or factual from my point of view. They may be your opinion on why not to do something but it doesn't get to the point of why this is any more difficult at UM than MSU or Idaho. Stitt was a mistake made 8 years ago. If those in business refuse to make hard decisions now because of a mistake they made 8 years ago they probably won't be in business much longer. The Pflu thing is just irrelevent and so far in the past it is meaningless. Thanks for reply but I'm really looking for the reason why some say coaching or program change are more difficult at UM that other places. Can you please take a stab at that?

They are both correct. That's what set the program back and put the program in a hole. Hauck's return has brought the program back within striking distance.

I honestly hope, this subject won't be discussed until after the current football and basketball season, by the powers to be at the U of M.

Yes, the proper time for the U of M to discuss it, is after the season. Doing it during the season is an unwanted distraction to the respected teams, coaches, and players.

As for football, either Hauck commits to a better offensive philosophy, development, and offensive coaching changes, or replace the coaches on that side of the ball, keep Green. There's been plenty of time to evaluate the staff. That side of the ball is inconsistent at best. Recruiting, we do fine. I just don't see the development at OL and QB.

As for basketball, Holsinger appears to be the coach that will get the Lady Griz back to the top of Big Sky basketball.

On the Men's side, it makes little sense to replace a coach with what DeCuire has done. Like Hauck, changes are needed with philosophy.

On the recruiting side, all the programs are doing fine. I get a lot of emails, texts, etc telling me, the GRIZ did great getting this or that athlete.

If anything needs addressed, it's development and philosophies. It's not letting these coaches go. If in the next 3 years or so, we're still struggling in these regards, then it can be considered.

Hell, if Hauck doesn't make the needed coaching changes and or philosophical changes, the time frame could be expedited.

mtgrizrule said:
I honestly hope, this subject won't be discussed until after the current football and basketball season, by the powers to be at the U of M.

Yes, the proper time for the U of M to discuss it, is after the season. Doing it during the season is an unwanted distraction to the respected teams, coaches, and players.

As for football, either Hauck commits to a better offensive philosophy, development, and offensive coaching changes, or replace the coaches on that side of the ball, keep Green. There's been plenty of time to evaluate the staff. That side of the ball is inconsistent at best. Recruiting, we do fine. I just don't see the development at OL and QB.

As for basketball, Holsinger appears to be the coach that will get the Lady Griz back to the top of Big Sky basketball.

On the Men's side, it makes little sense to replace a coach with what DeCuire has done. Like Hauck, changes are needed with philosophy.

On the recruiting side, all the programs are doing fine. I get a lot of emails, texts, etc telling me, the GRIZ did great getting this or that athlete.

If anything needs addressed, it's development and philosophies. It's not letting these coaches go. If in the next 3 years or so, we're still struggling in these regards, then it can be considered.

Hell, if Hauck doesn't make the needed coaching changes and or philosophical changes, the time frame could be expedited.

The biggest problem on the O this year, is having Johnson or a healthy Johnson. It's not the OC or offensive coaches. The o-line was pretty good this season, with 2 great juniors returning and a bunch of younger players getting experience and returning. The Griz played poorly against the Cats, as well as Idaho. It's a rare team that plays great every weekend. UM is lucky to have the football and men's basketball coaches that they have. Haslam has done a good job getting them and keeping them happy.

mthoopsfan said:
Fahque said:

Yeah, okay… If you say so. They were definitely more than minor distractions, not everybody blindly supports UM more Montana football like you do

Fahque said:
mthoopsfan said:

Yeah, okay… If you say so. They were definitely more than minor distractions, not everybody blindly supports UM more Montana football like you do

I don't blindly support anything. Virtually all of the top UM supporters and boosters support Montana football and Hauck.

You obviously have never set foot in a locker room. The silly things you keep saying are really pretty funny.

"Ya, if you say the 37 thing is what caused UM to let the Cats crush them, and will impact the game this weekend," go for it."

mthoopsfan said:
Fahque said:

I don't blindly support anything. Virtually all of the top UM supporters and boosters support Montana football and Hauck.

You obviously have never set foot in a locker room. The silly things you keep saying are really pretty funny.

"Ya, if you say the 37 thing is what caused UM to let the Cats crush them, and will impact the game this weekend," go for it."

You live in your own fantasy world… And are you trying to quote me with the 37 thing? Because I never said that

mtgrizrule said:

Are you sure about recruiting? Do the recruiting areas need to be expanded? For example, UM used to recruit many quality athletes from Hawaii. At present, I believe we have one. Should we place additional emphasis on wide receivers? Do we really want 51 Montana kids on our roster? Does that limit our recruiting in other states?

sdk.catfish said:
I'm just not understanding why change should be more difficult at UM that MSU or Idaho. If fact it seems to me that the opposite should be true.
It is not hard to understand if you even try. Idaho had endured a horrible tenure of Petrino, he had to go, not only pathetic W/L, but a cancer. Nothing to lose. MSU's HC left for greener pastures. They had to fill the job, not their choice.

Montana, on the other hand, has a lot to lose should they change a HC for no other reason than a response to a minor segment of the fan base that is in little position to judge. There is history that they might not get it right. The firing of Pflugrad, inserting journeyman Delaney, the hiring of Stitt, all did damage to the program and are fresh in the memory. Compare the state of Hauck's program to that of Petrino. Way too much denigration of our solid program going on here; it could get a lot worse with another mistake. Why is that hard to understand? Anyone that claims it is just doesn't like BH and jumps to a judgement that a very bad game and an unlucky underachieving season is a failed program. Those people need to grow up and open their eyes to a bigger picture.

kemajic said:
sdk.catfish said:
I'm just not understanding why change should be more difficult at UM that MSU or Idaho. If fact it seems to me that the opposite should be true.
It is not hard to understand if you even try. Idaho had endured a horrible tenure of Petrino, he had to go, not only pathetic W/L, but a cancer. Nothing to lose. MSU's HC left for greener pastures. They had to fill the job, not their choice.

Montana, on the other hand, has a lot to lose should they change a HC for no other reason than a response to a minor segment of the fan base that is in little position to judge. There is history that they might not get it right. The firing of Pflugrad, inserting journeyman Delaney, the hiring of Stitt, all did damage to the program and are fresh in the memory. Compare the state of Hauck's program to that of Petrino. Way too much denigration of our solid program going on here; it could get a lot worse with another mistake. Why is that hard to understand? Anyone that claims it is just doesn't like BH and jumps to a judgement that a very bad game and an unlucky underachieving season is a failed program. Those people need to grow up and open their eyes to a bigger picture.

Honest question: If ANYONE had been hired but Hauck and they came in and finished 3rd, 4th and 6th in consecutive years 3, 4 and 5 of their tenure, went 1-3 against the ‘Scats and got blasted by 34 in two of those losses, would you be pulling your support for the program until they made a change?

Back