• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Honest Look At Grizzly Athletics

Nothing much to add except that I’d like to go on record as one who blindly supports UM and UM athletics. I have done so for over 20 years, and I will continue to do so. Sure, I’ve been called brainwashed, but the truth is, I’m not. I just think UM is the best ever and every other program isn’t as good. That used to be called “school spirit”.

A more accurate thread title would be:

"A Dishonest Look at Griz Athletics"

"My Narrative's Look at Griz Athletics"

"A Bad Fan's Look at Griz Athletics"

"Griz Athletics Viewed by Those Who know Little or Nothing about the Subject"

The Flag Football Backups' View of Griz Athletics"

mthoopsfan said:
A more accurate thread title would be:

"A Dishonest Look at Griz Athletics"

"My Narrative's Look at Griz Athletics"

"A Bad Fan's Look at Griz Athletics"

"Griz Athletics Viewed by Those Who know Little or Nothing about the Subject"

The Flag Football Backups' View of Griz Athletics"
I forgot, I played flag football in Pennsylvania. Does that qualify me to comment? Ha!

For PR/mthoops

Sources are comments I read on Twitter plus I work with a former OL for UNC, who has some strong opinions. This article is very good also…

https://twitter.com/jwatsonfisher/status/1595441444965478400?s=46&t=JbCI90WaVdhWz3Bj2DTHjg

ordigger said:
For PR/mthoops

Sources are comments I read on Twitter plus I work with a former OL for UNC, who has some strong opinions. This article is very good also…

https://twitter.com/jwatsonfisher/status/1595441444965478400?s=46&t=JbCI90WaVdhWz3Bj2DTHjg

Are sources, aside from PR's vast knowledge (big head), even allowed here?

Okay, I think it is pretty definitive that not one poster can back up the claim(s) that it is more difficult to make program/coaching changes at UM vs. other universities. The closest reason that I saw posted was this:
hm.grwn.grizfan

Well this is just a guess, but it’s not outside of the realm of possibility that bi UM boosters have an inordinate amount of pull when it comes to decision making as it pertains to the football program.

I believe there might be a lot of truth to this. It is roughly equivilent to letting egriz, with a whole lot more resources, make the decision on who the coach is. Is that what you really want? Do boosters really know how to hire a coach for the future? There was no competitive hiring process involved when Hauck was hired for the second time. Sure it was advertised but it was a foregone conclusion and big time boosters had been in contact for some time with Hauck. That is the honest truth about UM hiring practices. And just like in politics, if you support someone, you are unlikely to change your position no matter what evidence to the contrary comes into play, because then your initial decision is questioned. It is an EGO thing. So no matter what type of "honest look" is taken it is meaningless if those with the cash, and not those really knowledgeable and committed to hiring the best coaches for the long run, are making the decisions. Do not expect a lot of change next year - 6 to 7 wins against the cupcakes and losses to programs that aren't totally run by the boosters and have an AD that has the balls and authority to direct a coach to make some changes. Very likely wiped out by the Cats at home because they understand what it is to build a program, develop the oline and OBs. That is Bobby Ball and it aint gonna change until its gone.

Boosters have destroyed the Auburn football program, by dictating hiring and firing. Look where it has gotten them. Same for Nebraska.

sdk.catfish said:
Okay, I think it is pretty definitive that not one poster can back up the claim(s) that it is more difficult to make program/coaching changes at UM vs. other universities. The closest reason that I saw posted was this:
hm.grwn.grizfan

Well this is just a guess, but it’s not outside of the realm of possibility that bi UM boosters have an inordinate amount of pull when it comes to decision making as it pertains to the football program.

I believe there might be a lot of truth to this. It is roughly equivilent to letting egriz, with a whole lot more resources, make the decision on who the coach is. Is that what you really want? Do boosters really know how to hire a coach for the future? There was no competitive hiring process involved when Hauck was hired for the second time. Sure it was advertised but it was a foregone conclusion and big time boosters had been in contact for some time with Hauck. That is the honest truth about UM hiring practices. And just like in politics, if you support someone, you are unlikely to change your position no matter what evidence to the contrary comes into play, because then your initial decision is questioned. It is an EGO thing. So no matter what type of "honest look" is taken it is meaningless if those with the cash, and not those really knowledgeable and committed to hiring the best coaches for the long run, are making the decisions. Do not expect a lot of change next year - 6 to 7 wins against the cupcakes and losses to programs that aren't totally run by the boosters and have an AD that has the balls and authority to direct a coach to make some changes. Very likely wiped out by the Cats at home because they understand what it is to build a program, develop the oline and OBs. That is Bobby Ball and it aint gonna change until its gone.

Bobby just needs a couple new coaches. Griz whipped the cats asses last year, you whipped ours this year. I don’t think we’re on some downward spiral just yet. I think hauck is a good coach. If he can tweak a couple of things he and this team will be just fine. Recruiting practices and strategy along with a position coach and a coordinator and this team could look a lot different. We also have yet to see what they do in the playoffs. They could be one and done. Or, they could win this weekend and proceed to go into NDSU and pull out a victory. Then how stupid is this post and many others going to look. We’re all probably overreacting to one bad loss. They can right the ship and eradicate a lot of the feelings with just two wins. Get to the quarters or better and we will all at least feel like it’s a season to build upon. The last thing I’ll ask, is why are you here continuing to stir the pot? It’s thanksgiving. Go hang out with your family or something. Happy thanksgiving

sdk.catfish said:
hm.grwn.grizfan

Boosters sure didn’t hire Stitt. The AD did, with minimum support. It was disaster. Almost no one Griz nation liked Stitt either.

ordigger said:
For PR/mthoops

Thx. Players often don’t like the coach, or want a new coach. I still don’t see the evidence that the players chased out this coach. There were lots of other reasons to get rid of him. Also, I wonder if the coach was bringing in better players.

https://law.marquette.edu/assets/sports-law/Greenbergfinal2.pdf

I would say there's quite a large number of cases whereby the student athletes were able to go to the administration and get the coach canned.

RoseyMustGo said:
I'll go on record to say that I am not happy with the direction of DeCuire's BB program. The number of players (including key starters) entering the portal is a sign of problems, IMO. I also think DeCuire's style of play is hurting recruiting, especially kids who are great at shooting the three. Travis seems to be either too stubborn to adapt to the trends in college BB for emphasizing a more up-tempo offense with more 3's, or doesn't have the ability to design an offense which he has not run in his past.
As for Haslam, I think he is a weak AD, who allows Hauck to have a free-reign on the football program, without consequences for anything. Just my opinion.
Finally, while it may be too early to take a look at our 2023 football team because we are focused on the playoffs, when one takes a look at the talent we lose, and our returning QB situation, I find it hard to be very positive about our prospects for next season.
Bottom line is this....... The Bobcats now have a better football program, and BB program than we do currently..... something that nobody saw coming, but must now deal with as being reality!
How can you not be optimistic about Britt, have you seen him play? He has a release like lightning and the completive fire to win. Maybe he will get to play Saturday and stink it up. Then I will see your point. If you could put him an offense to take advantage of his strengths I think the kid could be really good. The real concern is Britt dosent play, bobby brings in another 30 year old qb and next year goes just like this year. Bobby is not a horrible coach but he isnt top shelf either. He needs to go as he has had is chance and he has no upside potential

mthoopsfan said:
ordigger said:
For PR/mthoops

Thx. Players often don’t like the coach, or want a new coach. I still don’t see the evidence that the players chased out this coach. There were lots of other reasons to get rid of him. Also, I wonder if the coach was bringing in better players.

I don’t think he was chased out by players, more like he was chased out by nepotism and incompetence. Reports coming from that program were very cringeworthy. UNC gambled on his name recognition (without any coaching chops) in Colorado and lost big time. The mass exodus from the team was crazy. Losing 40 players to the portal is such a big red flag that you can see it from the moon. That kind of thing doesn’t happen in a vacuum.

Many on this forum think Bobby has an ego, but McCaffrey makes him look like Modestus of Jerusalem.

ordigger said:
Ursus1 said:
People made fun of the Vigan hire.....seems to me he was an excellent choice. The way he seems to be building a team is very impressive. They are young, they are a true next man up with injuries (their oline and RB's have been hit hard by injuries but the replacements play very well. They are even blessed with 2 QB's that can flat out play. They will even be better next year (return 20 starters !!!). It pains me to see with the impact players at UM that will graduate and/or leave by choice there are so many holes to fill with the transfer portal and current young guys. The depth is flat out not there to just be next man up to be at a level that is seed worthy come playoffs, or make a legit run at a conference title. Imagine needing to replace Welnel, Roberts, O'Connel, Ford, Dawson, Todd, Flowers, Walker, Alford, LJ, Matthews...even Robby.....let alone any others that decide they have had enough and move on AND still need backups that can play at a high level when one goes down because nature of the beast is injuries in this game. They lose about 1/2 the staring lineup. Bobby 2.0 is 5 years in and the cupboard isn't stocked and will once again rely of transfers being signed and panning out. That is rebuilding, not reloading.

Bobcats will not have 20 starters returning. Portal will bite them a bit also

Hmmmmm, I don't believe that to be the case but I guess we'll see. Vigen has proven to be a master of developing quality depth all over the board, by rotating players a lot. I was looking back through all the players that are returning next year that have STARTED multiple games, below is the rough list. This DOES include some special teams aces but does NOT include a bunch of players that subbed in and out a lot but didn't start a lot of games. I'd be very surprised if more than one or two of these players leave, because they've all played a lot and know they'll be getting even more playing time in 2023.

Woodard
Ortt
Eiden
Sullivan
Seymour
Valdez
Schmidt
Askelson
Reed
Reimer
Perkins
Aigbedion
Kettels
Wehr
Sain
Mellott
Snell
Thomas
Johnson
Pickering
Danny U
Chambers
Grebe
Dowler
Leighton
Glessner
Grebe
Ifanse
Sumner
White
Elliot
Coon
Martin

Clarification - those last six players are all RBs, with Jahari Martin being more of a FB. This might be the place where we see some leave, because it's insane how deep that position is. If you remember Elliot, he is running crazy strong right now and he was literally the 5th string RB to start the season.

Back