• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Honest Look At Grizzly Athletics

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:
Which FCS schools have had backup qb's lead them to wins over top 5 teams this season?

Which teams on our schedule would our backup have been able to lead our team to a win this season?

previous back up or current back up?....vastly different answers.

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:
Which FCS schools have had backup qb's lead them to wins over top 5 teams this season?

Which teams on our schedule would our backup have been able to lead our team to a win this season?
Well, all of our QBs can lose to them. So why not roll the dice and see if one can win? Worst case scenario is they lose like the starter did

I'll go on record to say that I am not happy with the direction of DeCuire's BB program. The number of players (including key starters) entering the portal is a sign of problems, IMO. I also think DeCuire's style of play is hurting recruiting, especially kids who are great at shooting the three. Travis seems to be either too stubborn to adapt to the trends in college BB for emphasizing a more up-tempo offense with more 3's, or doesn't have the ability to design an offense which he has not run in his past.
As for Haslam, I think he is a weak AD, who allows Hauck to have a free-reign on the football program, without consequences for anything. Just my opinion.
Finally, while it may be too early to take a look at our 2023 football team because we are focused on the playoffs, when one takes a look at the talent we lose, and our returning QB situation, I find it hard to be very positive about our prospects for next season.
Bottom line is this....... The Bobcats now have a better football program, and BB program than we do currently..... something that nobody saw coming, but must now deal with as being reality!

All these people on here saying msu has blown past UM as a program is nonsense. Have they been better this year? Yes. Griz kicked the shit out of them last year. Has weber and Sac State also? We beat weber last year and the year before they missed the playoffs.

I think what people are struggling with is the new era of college football and the transfer portal. The new era of college football will have drastic year to year. Two year runs…peaks and valleys. The goal for most programs will be to stay near the top and collect lightning in a bottle for a year or two every couple of years.

That’s the reality with college football and the portal now. Teams will have and are having 30% turnover if not more every year. The key is to find a stud QB and keep him here for a couple years. UM hasn’t done that yet. MSU has.

People made fun of the Vigan hire.....seems to me he was an excellent choice. The way he seems to be building a team is very impressive. They are young, they are a true next man up with injuries (their oline and RB's have been hit hard by injuries but the replacements play very well. They are even blessed with 2 QB's that can flat out play. They will even be better next year (return 20 starters !!!). It pains me to see with the impact players at UM that will graduate and/or leave by choice there are so many holes to fill with the transfer portal and current young guys. The depth is flat out not there to just be next man up to be at a level that is seed worthy come playoffs, or make a legit run at a conference title. Imagine needing to replace Welnel, Roberts, O'Connel, Ford, Dawson, Todd, Flowers, Walker, Alford, LJ, Matthews...even Robby.....let alone any others that decide they have had enough and move on AND still need backups that can play at a high level when one goes down because nature of the beast is injuries in this game. They lose about 1/2 the staring lineup. Bobby 2.0 is 5 years in and the cupboard isn't stocked and will once again rely of transfers being signed and panning out. That is rebuilding, not reloading.

kemajic said:
UncleRico said:
Now you are dragging Travis into this? 103-46 Big Sky Record. 162-101 overall. 3 Big Sky regular season champioships and 2 NCAA berths.
OK, Bobby Hauck, 67-18 BSC record, 115-33 overall. 7 BSC regular season championships and 3 trips to the FCS NC game.

What is your point?

I'm not anti-Bobby or critical of him at all. I'm saying why did the guy that had an issue with Rosey and Bobby somehow brings Travis into this.

Ursus1 said:
People made fun of the Vigan hire.....seems to me he was an excellent choice. The way he seems to be building a team is very impressive. They are young, they are a true next man up with injuries (their oline and RB's have been hit hard by injuries but the replacements play very well. They are even blessed with 2 QB's that can flat out play. They will even be better next year (return 20 starters !!!). It pains me to see with the impact players at UM that will graduate and/or leave by choice there are so many holes to fill with the transfer portal and current young guys. The depth is flat out not there to just be next man up to be at a level that is seed worthy come playoffs, or make a legit run at a conference title. Imagine needing to replace Welnel, Roberts, O'Connel, Ford, Dawson, Todd, Flowers, Walker, Alford, LJ, Matthews...even Robby.....let alone any others that decide they have had enough and move on AND still need backups that can play at a high level when one goes down because nature of the beast is injuries in this game. They lose about 1/2 the staring lineup. Bobby 2.0 is 5 years in and the cupboard isn't stocked and will once again rely of transfers being signed and panning out. That is rebuilding, not reloading.

You do realize, of course, that there is a very important poster who will add you to the list of posters who need to be banned, for having an opinion opposite of his.......

RoseyMustGo said:
Ursus1 said:

You do realize, of course, that there is a very important poster who will add you to the list of posters who need to be banned, for having an opinion opposite of his.......

Pls don't stroke his ego...very important postet...more like very lame poster...old and senile.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
Sure, if your expectation is based on 10 wins a season. My bar is higher. Thus, it’s at least a Class E felony.

Seems like you will be a very unhappy person for most of your Griz fandom with a bar like that.

:lol: Well, it used to be most of the fanbase’s expectation. We used to let the ‘Scats Super Bowl be beating the Griz. My how the tables have turned….

kemajic said:
OK, Bobby Hauck, 67-18 BSC record, 115-33 overall. 7 BSC regular season championships and 3 trips to the FCS NC game.

What is your point?

Why do you keep going back to the ancient past? FFS, Hauck 1.0 (80-17, 47-6) was THIRTEEN years ago. THIS iteration of Hauck (35-16, 20-12) has zero BSC championships and zero trips to the FCS NC game and is 1-3 against our rival. In his last three full years his conference record is exactly TWO better than his predecessor. Is THAT what you were expecting when he was rehired?

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

What is your point?

Why do you keep going back to the ancient past? FFS, Hauck 1.0 (80-17, 47-6) was THIRTEEN years ago. THIS iteration of Hauck (35-16, 20-12) has zero BSC championships and zero trips to the FCS NC game and is 1-3 against our rival. In his last three full years his conference record is exactly TWO better than his predecessor. Is THAT what you were expecting when he was rehired?

When you look at a record, you look at the entire record.

Spanky2 said:
AZGrizFan said:

When you look at a record, you look at the entire record.

Nope. There is ZERO correlation between 1.0 and 2.0. The coach is different, the situation is different, hell the conference is different. During the bulk of his first tenure there WAS no competition in the conference. I remember those days on this very site where we were begging for someone….nay, ANYONE…to step up and provide competition for the Griz so we’d be better prepared for the inevitable deep playoff run. When we’d lose to the UMass’s and JMU’s of the world in the playoffs we’d piss and moan because our team didn’t get enough push from other teams in the conference. That is NOT this iteration of the Griz. 8 conference losses in 3 years? Bobby 1.0 only lost 17 in NINE years. 3rd place? 4th place? 6th Place? This team is going the WRONG direction. Fast.

mthoopsfan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
:lol: ok. That’s an excuse, and those are like assholes. At the end of the day they won, the Griz didn’t, and UM has yet to win a game against a good team. They have a chance this weekend, and I’ll be cheering my ass off as always. I watched all of SEMOs game vs SIU. I think they’re a fairly good team. We shall see if the Griz can get it done. Just don’t get mad at people whose expectation is a championship and beating top teams regularly when the head coach is the one who set those expectations (#RTD?!). He and the rest of the homer media pundits around him spent all last spring and all fall telling us how deep the team was, how there were “no weaknesses” (Haucks exact words), and how our defense was probably the best in FCS, so you’ll forgive us fans that scratch our heads when a team rushes for upwards of 500 yards and doesn’t have to punt, and had us down 55-7 or 55-14 at one point in the game. You’ll also forgive us for scrutinizing the supporting staff and their recruiting strategy when the team, minus one player (even if it’s the QB), can’t win a game against a team with a winning record.

No, it's not an excuse. It's the reality of the situation. It's the reason the Griz are rated so high, got into the playoffs, and are ranked in the top half dozen by Vegas for chances of winning the championship. Excuses (and nonsense) is what keeps coming out of you and posters like you.

Hey, is this “Hoops” guy Elon Musk? :coffee:

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Seems like you will be a very unhappy person for most of your Griz fandom with a bar like that.

:lol: Well, it used to be most of the fanbase’s expectation. We used to let the ‘Scats Super Bowl be beating the Griz. My how the tables have turned….

Weird since it has been like 14 years and you are just realizing the tables have turned.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

Weird since it has been like 14 years and you are just realizing the tables have turned.

I didn’t just realize it. I’m just mocking those who crow about moral victories.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
All these people on here saying msu has blown past UM as a program is nonsense. Have they been better this year? Yes. Griz kicked the shit out of them last year. Has weber and Sac State also? We beat weber last year and the year before they missed the playoffs.

I think what people are struggling with is the new era of college football and the transfer portal. The new era of college football will have drastic year to year. Two year runs…peaks and valleys. The goal for most programs will be to stay near the top and collect lightning in a bottle for a year or two every couple of years.

That’s the reality with college football and the portal now. Teams will have and are having 30% turnover if not more every year. The key is to find a stud QB and keep him here for a couple years. UM hasn’t done that yet. MSU has.

Then there's the whole Cats played for the national championship thing last year while we were beating our chests about beating them.

Back