• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Honest Look At Grizzly Athletics

mthoopsfan said:
Copper Griz said:
Mens and women’s basketball are both in very good shape. The only problem was taking forever to get rid of the previous women’s coach. Haslam is likely leaving in the near future for greener pastures. OC and line coaches need to go. Younger coaches with energy and recruiting prowess need to be brought in. Probably at the DC level as well. Hoping that Haslam and BH have been planning ahead to bring in the next head coach when BH hangs it up. Sac State would be a great place to start mining the next HC. BH is going nowhere. Complaining about it won’t change a thing. Plenty of former players and current are wanting the changes. Anyone who says differently isn’t very close to the program. I don’t care how much money they give, who they tailgate with or the status they have anointed themselves with. There is noise. Burying one’s head in the sand doesn’t change that. The noise is healthy and change needs to happen

There is virtually no "noise" among the top boosters, donors and QB Club, about Hauck. You obviously aren't very close to the program. The QB Club raised $100,000 quickly last year at this time. They just kicked off another goal to raise $100,000 quickly. Some donors have made fairly large funds that can be matched. Perhaps it would be better to wait to discuss and assess at the end of the season. I don't know much about the OC, but both line coaches are very good.

Apparently you struggle with reading comprehension. Current players and the noise is the problem. You can raise all the money in the world and be buddies with elderly boosters. When you have noise in the locker room you have problems. The coaches will tell you there is no noise. Boosters who are not critical will bury their head in the sand. Have at it. Doesn’t change the situation and the kids play the game. Not the coaches or the boosters. You should know since you played the game.

CDAGRIZ said:
uofmman1122 said:
Why is it so crazy to wait and see what happens in the playoffs before making decisions on who needs to be fired?

:clap: :clap:
It would be hilariously awesome if we went on a run.

And Hauck got fired just before the Championship game.

Copper Griz said:
mthoopsfan said:
There is virtually no "noise" among the top boosters, donors and QB Club, about Hauck. You obviously aren't very close to the program. The QB Club raised $100,000 quickly last year at this time. They just kicked off another goal to raise $100,000 quickly. Some donors have made fairly large funds that can be matched. Perhaps it would be better to wait to discuss and assess at the end of the season. I don't know much about the OC, but both line coaches are very good.

Apparently you struggle with reading comprehension. Current players and the noise is the problem. You can raise all the money in the world and be buddies with elderly boosters. When you have noise in the locker room you have problems. The coaches will tell you there is no noise. Boosters who are not critical will bury their head in the sand. Have at it. Doesn’t change the situation and the kids play the game. Not the coaches or the boosters. You should know since you played the game.

Yes, I played. And I had 3 kids play college sports. I have some relatives who were college coaches. I know that players often don't love their head coach, and maybe not their position coach either. The players don't get to make the decisions. They can retire or move on if they don't like things. And parents often complain about things. Yes, kids play the game, and the coaches coach the game and decide who plays. In some sports with fewer players, player uprising can get some action, like with Cate. But I don't ever recall a player uprising causing a football coach to be fired. Feel free to provide some examples.

mthoopsfan said:
Copper Griz said:

Yes, I played. And I had 3 kids play college sports. I have some relatives who were college coaches. I know that players often don't love their head coach, and maybe not their position coach either. The players don't get to make the decisions. They can retire or move on if they don't like things. And parents often complain about things. Yes, kids play the game, and the coaches coach the game and decide who plays. In some sports with fewer players, player uprising can get some action, like with Cate. But I don't ever recall a player uprising causing a football coach to be fired. Feel free to provide some examples.

The portal has put the kids in control. Do some research with whats going on with players at Texas AM and Jimbo.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
mthoopsfan said:
You seem to think everyone coach needs to win. 100% of its games.

I would settle for beating a team with a winning record, they have a chance to do that this weekend. I’ll be cheering as always. I obviously know that changes, if made, would not be made until after the season. My question still stands. What is your opinion on the matter? Does our recruiting strategy need revised? Do coaching changes need made, and if so which ones? You have said you’re close to the coaches and the program, well, assess the health of the program then.

Yes, it would nice to play a team with a winning record, who wasn't ranked nos. 2, 3 and 9 (and to having our no. 1 qb playing and/or fully healthy). Yes, UM should have beaten Idaho. A small blemish.

Horribilis said:
I would like to see average game day attendance numbers along with the size of those stadiums. What good is capacity, if only 3-5,000 fans attend the games? I rarely see packed stadiums for even great matchups in the Big Sky and other FCS conferences. Other than the Montana schools, who fill or get close to capacity all season long. Are you saying, concentrate on athletics rather than facilities going forward? That I can agree with, given where the university currently sits with facilities.

The attendance figures are readily available on line.

indiancoyote said:
mthoopsfan said:

The portal has put the kids in control. Do some research with whats going on with players at Texas AM and Jimbo.

It doesn't put them in control. It gives them an opportunity to move elsewhere. They don't get to pick the football coach. Doubt that Fisher is going anywhere, but, if he does, he will have a big chunk of change.

"The deal fully guarantees the 10-year, $95 million contract Fisher signed in 2021, which means the Aggies would be on the hook for nearly $86 million if they fired him now."

Are the Texas AM guys with the big NIL deals going to give up those deals?

I don't see the Griz losing many good players to the portal, but perhaps you know more, and we shall see. My guess is that any player who lets info get around that he is going to portal after the season, that may be a recipe for an early trip to the bench. See Knight, for example.

UncleRico said:
Now you are dragging Travis into this? 103-46 Big Sky Record. 162-101 overall. 3 Big Sky regular season champioships and 2 NCAA berths.
OK, Bobby Hauck, 67-18 BSC record, 115-33 overall. 7 BSC regular season championships and 3 trips to the FCS NC game.

What is your point?

BadlandsGrizFan said:
My hope would be that Bobby will realize he needs to bring in younger coaches with modern coaching philosophies. It’s fine to tour the 500 million years of coaching experience. But to many it just comes off as staying in the past.

Will Bobby realize this and fire his good buddies? I’m not optimistic about that happening which is a shame because I do like Bobby as the head coach of this program. I like his arrogance and I like how much Montana football means to him. He gets the importance of it to Montanans. Being too loyal to his buddies may end up dragging him down unfortunately. Rosey is a nightmare and apparently can’t develop or attract QB talent to the best facilities and fan base in FCS. That’s a major issue.

....what some fans don't recognize is that the Hauck machine is no longer a feared entity ....his past tenure
and reputation does not matter ...the world is changing , kids are changing , programs are changing...Chaote
exploited the Hauck machine a couple of years ago and Vigen is putting the icing on the cake..as well as
others....its hard to be optimistic...

.I also like Bobby but I have realized that there is some chinks in the armor..Bobby will have to make some
tough decision if hes going to be able to contend with upper FCS...risks and changes wont be easy because
its is not part of his nature...IMO

mthoopsfan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
I would settle for beating a team with a winning record, they have a chance to do that this weekend. I’ll be cheering as always. I obviously know that changes, if made, would not be made until after the season. My question still stands. What is your opinion on the matter? Does our recruiting strategy need revised? Do coaching changes need made, and if so which ones? You have said you’re close to the coaches and the program, well, assess the health of the program then.

Yes, it would nice to play a team with a winning record, who wasn't ranked nos. 2, 3 and 9 (and to having our no. 1 qb playing and/or fully healthy). Yes, UM should have beaten Idaho. A small blemish.

:lol: ok. That’s an excuse, and those are like assholes. At the end of the day they won, the Griz didn’t, and UM has yet to win a game against a good team. They have a chance this weekend, and I’ll be cheering my ass off as always. I watched all of SEMOs game vs SIU. I think they’re a fairly good team. We shall see if the Griz can get it done. Just don’t get mad at people whose expectation is a championship and beating top teams regularly when the head coach is the one who set those expectations (#RTD?!). He and the rest of the homer media pundits around him spent all last spring and all fall telling us how deep the team was, how there were “no weaknesses” (Haucks exact words), and how our defense was probably the best in FCS, so you’ll forgive us fans that scratch our heads when a team rushes for upwards of 500 yards and doesn’t have to punt, and had us down 55-7 or 55-14 at one point in the game. You’ll also forgive us for scrutinizing the supporting staff and their recruiting strategy when the team, minus one player (even if it’s the QB), can’t win a game against a team with a winning record.

kemajic said:
grizghost said:
Vigen is putting the icing on the cake..as well as
others....its hard to be optimistic...
Vigen is 1-1 against BH.

.Geez...I'm sorry I just don't remember the Griz being plowed over by all phrases
of the game....maybe that has clouded my judgement where the program is going...
also isn't this Vigens second year...the guy has either caught on to something or
has got lucky..ok maybe he got lucky beating Hauck...maybe it was just a off day
for the coaching staff....

I believe the primary focus of the Athletic Department this past decade has been improving the infrastructure and facilities that support our student athletes. And for that I applaud. The Champions Center, The Academic Center, improvements of UM’s softball and soccer facilities, and soon, the indoor practice bubble, are all in direct support of UM student athletes. GPA and graduation rates within the department are up as a result. Kent has done a fine job of building the department. It is now time for the entire department to refocus on recruitment and development of the best available athletes and coaches. UM now has top-notch facilities. It is now time to put those facilities to use in recruitment and retention of athletes which will lead to top-notch performances on the fields and courts. Go Griz!

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
mthoopsfan said:

:lol: ok. That’s an excuse, and those are like assholes. At the end of the day they won, the Griz didn’t, and UM has yet to win a game against a good team. They have a chance this weekend, and I’ll be cheering my ass off as always. I watched all of SEMOs game vs SIU. I think they’re a fairly good team. We shall see if the Griz can get it done. Just don’t get mad at people whose expectation is a championship and beating top teams regularly when the head coach is the one who set those expectations (#RTD?!). He and the rest of the homer media pundits around him spent all last spring and all fall telling us how deep the team was, how there were “no weaknesses” (Haucks exact words), and how our defense was probably the best in FCS, so you’ll forgive us fans that scratch our heads when a team rushes for upwards of 500 yards and doesn’t have to punt, and had us down 55-7 or 55-14 at one point in the game. You’ll also forgive us for scrutinizing the supporting staff and their recruiting strategy when the team, minus one player (even if it’s the QB), can’t win a game against a team with a winning record.

No, it's not an excuse. It's the reality of the situation. It's the reason the Griz are rated so high, got into the playoffs, and are ranked in the top half dozen by Vegas for chances of winning the championship. Excuses (and nonsense) is what keeps coming out of you and posters like you.

mthoopsfan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

It’s crazy. Our starting QB goes down and we go 0-3. MSU’s starting QB goes down and they go 3-0.

Weird.

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:

It’s crazy. Our starting QB goes down and we go 0-3. MSU’s starting QB goes down and they go 3-0.

Weird.

I would really only say 0-2 with the backup, Sac and Weber.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

Weird.

But an ill/sick LJ cost us the Idaho game. And apparently our backups suck so bad that a sick/ill/injured LJ is still considered a better option (see Idaho, MSU, et. Al.)

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

But an ill/sick LJ cost us the Idaho game. And apparently our backups suck so bad that a sick/ill/injured LJ is still considered a better option (see Idaho, MSU, et. Al.)

Still can't pin that on the backup.

Back