• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz to play Dixie St

jcu27 said:
Paytonlives said:
Personally a FCS win is better than a FBS asskicking...

For who? Sick and tired of playing teams no one has even heard of. How about regularly schedule any fbs teams and get used to playing higher level competition and make the team better as a whole. Playing weaker teams does nothing besides guarantee a win. Does not help us at all. I'd rather see us push ourselves as much as possible instead of half assing.

This x1000

kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
Not sure I said it was good or bad. What I see is a FCS school in the West with few OOC options available in the West that must be struggling to get teams to come to Missoula without promise of a home and home. People want to think scheduling is an easy task, but with the shrinking pool of Western FCS schools that are not in the BSC, and every BSC team trying to schedule from the same small pool, it is what it is.
No one said scheduling is easy, but why is it easier for MSU, Davis and Ill. St., that got Dixie St. home games for a fraction of what we paid? Sure, Weber and SUU are bus games, understandable. It appears our negotiating skills leave a bit to be desired at a time when we're not long on money. In addition to the overpay, a lot of the Dixie States on the schedule is not going to help fill the seats. They will be a weak draw.
My guess is the back to back seasons made the payout more of a premium. But for whatever reason, Haslem was OK with the price. I will add my take, but bitching about a FCS team scheduling another FCS teams is dumb.
Dixie State is not just another FCS team; they've been a DII dormat (36-72 over the last 10 years) and have yet to play a game in FCS. The weakest we could find to qualify as FCS on the schedule; yet we wonder why our SOS is so poorly rated. Schedule fillers, certainly not exciting to the season ticket holders. Can expect a lot of no-shows for these epic battles, but the AD and you can keep patting yourselves on the back.

And you can continue to pat yourself on the back. And I get it, you want them to play UNDSU 3-4 times per season.

griznative24 said:
jcu27 said:
Paytonlives said:

For who? Sick and tired of playing teams no one has even heard of. How about regularly schedule any fbs teams and get used to playing higher level competition and make the team better as a whole. Playing weaker teams does nothing besides guarantee a win. Does not help us at all. I'd rather see us push ourselves as much as possible instead of half assing.

This x1000

Sac St should be lights out next season since they pretty much play a higher level of competition every game almost every season.

grizindabox said:
griznative24 said:
jcu27 said:
Paytonlives said:

This x1000

Sac St should be lights out next season since they pretty much play a higher level of competition every game almost every season.

Different standards for different schools. And I'm not saying we should schedule SEC teams or something every year. How about teams like Boise St, Tulsa, Colorado, or whoever. If you think playing a team like Dixie St will help our team be more competitive rather than playing any FBS team you are smoking that killa bro...

jcu27 said:
Paytonlives said:

27, you are 100% correct!

jcu27 said:
grizindabox said:
griznative24 said:
jcu27 said:

This x1000

Different standards for different schools. And I'm not saying we should schedule SEC teams or something every year. How about teams like Boise St, Tulsa, Colorado, or whoever. If you think playing a team like Dixie St will help our team be more competitive rather than playing any FBS team you are smoking that killa bro...

So what you are saying is losing 49-7 to a FBS school will make a team more competitive than winning 49-7 against a FCS school? Not sure either moves the competitive meter a whole bunch, but one is more beneficial than the other when trying to make the playoffs, the main reason many prefer FCS to FBS.

So are people bitching because a FCS team is scheduling another FCS school or that a FCS school is paying another FCS school $260,000 for a couple home games?

HelenaHandBasket said:
So are people bitching because a FCS team is scheduling another FCS school or that a FCS school is paying another FCS school $260,000 for a couple home games?

I think you nailed it...

grizindabox said:
jcu27 said:
grizindabox said:
griznative24 said:
This x1000

So what you are saying is losing 49-7 to a FBS school will make a team more competitive than winning 49-7 against a FCS school? Not sure either moves the competitive meter a whole bunch, but one is more beneficial than the other when trying to make the playoffs, the main reason many prefer FCS to FBS.

So a team like Tulsa or Colorado is going to blow us out that bad?? You really don't have faith in the griz. Dude you misewell be a fan of UNC. I'd rather see the school looking to improve and go forward and eventually be FBS one day playing at a higher level. Seems you want the school to digress and drop to D2. You really think schools like NDSU and SDSU plan on staying in the FCS forever? Look at all the good programs that made the jump.. App St, Georgia Southern, and others etc. FCS is turning into a joke because all the good programs jumping to better places. But screw let's play dixie states and sac states and Northern Arizonas and Eastern Washingtons.... guess what 99% of people don't even know these places exist. But have fun being complacent.

Plus playing more FBS teams might actually make us enough money to start making the right steps in the right direction. And maybe the school wouldn't be broke as shit. And maybe a lot of this money from these games could help with adding new curriculum and attracting more students. But whatever bro. Let the school just become irrelevant.

jcu27 said:
grizindabox said:
jcu27 said:
grizindabox said:

So a team like Tulsa or Colorado is going to blow us out that bad?? You really don't have faith in the griz. Dude you misewell be a fan of UNC. I'd rather see the school looking to improve and go forward and eventually be FBS one day playing at a higher level. Seems you want the school to digress and drop to D2. You really think schools like NDSU and SDSU plan on staying in the FCS forever? Look at all the good programs that made the jump.. App St, Georgia Southern, and others etc. FCS is turning into a joke because all the good programs jumping to better places. But screw let's play dixie states and sac states and Northern Arizonas and Eastern Washingtons.... guess what 99% of people don't even know these places exist. But have fun being complacent.

Actually what I am saying is that the Griz are a FCS team that scheduled another FCS team and people want to whine and bitch about it. The Griz are not missing out on playing a FBS game on the road by playing Dixie St at home. And personally, I think it would be great to see the Griz play a full FBS schedule, but the chances of that ever happening are not much better than zero.

Maybe 27 is saying we should move to a FBS conference. This should have happened years ago when we were a stronger program.

jcu27 said:
Plus playing more FBS teams might actually make us enough money to start making the right steps in the right direction. And maybe the school wouldn't be broke as shit. And maybe a lot of this money from these games could help with adding new curriculum and attracting more students. But whatever bro. Let the school just become irrelevant.

You present an interesting hypothesis. But, you are about as vague as AOC and her 'Green New Deal,' so a few questions to help flesh out this partial skeleton you have proposed:
1) What right steps, and in what direction(s)? (I'm assuming you mean for the football team to make).
2) Why is UM "broke as shit"?(So, this is at least, partially attributable to the football program?)
3) You think the football team could make so much money that UM could add new curriculum and attract more students?(That is assuming some BIG guarantees.)
4) What kind of time line are you assuming for your hypothesis to take effect? I figure I've got about 10 years of sand left in my hour glass, so this had better be a quicker turnaround than Bobby might provide.

JCU, UM and Griz football, were relevant through 2009. Perhaps you could identify the people and factors which combined for the perfect storm to put both into the state they are today. Again, I have to assume you lived through this period and know the general outline you would need to fill in the necessary details. If not, this ought to keep you busy for the foreseeable future. I'll await your thoughtful analysis, at least until the sand runs out.

Spanky2 said:
Maybe 27 is saying we should move to a FBS conference. This should have happened years ago when we were a stronger program.

Back in the day....as I remember it(there I go relying on my memory)the Griz did consider a possible move to FBS, if it got an invitation, but there were several problems: the cost of a move up, being joined at the hip to little brother, and a lack of an actual invitation. I believe it was determined that the cost, alone, made the move prohibitive.

tourist said:
Spanky2 said:

Back in the day....as I remember it(there I go relying on my memory)the Griz did consider a possible move to FBS, if it got an invitation, but there were several problems: the cost of a move up, being joined at the hip to little brother, and a lack of an actual invitation. I believe it was determined that the cost, alone, made the move prohibitive.
Yes, I agree. Further, I would add that any opportunity of moving to a good conference has passed.

Wow.... it's like trying to explain where babies come from to a 2 year old. My lord people use your brains. I shouldn't have to go into mass detail to explain all this.

Go ahead explain it. UM isn’t going anywhere and we will continue playing Northern Colorado, Dixie State and think it’s wonderful.

Spanky2 said:
Go ahead explain it. UM isn’t going anywhere and we will continue playing Northern Colorado, Dixie State and think it’s wonderful.

It's great. Love being irrelevant. Who would want change??? Big Sigh Conference is perfect for us. We like being unheard of. Who needs more television exposure or? Who needs big money games? We don't!! Screw that! Can't wait to play Idaho State!! Its going to be a blast!

Latest posts

Back