• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz to play Dixie St

AZGrizFan said:
dbackjon said:
UNDfan said:
Dixie St is only announcing their OOC games down the pike.

Their in conference games will be against:

SUU
NAU
UNC
Portland St
Idaho St
CWU

Any out of conference series can be announced now.

Y

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They have already announced OOC games against SUU and NAU...

Hey, he's nothing if not consistent, Jon. :D :D

Very true, Blake

BadlandsGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:
SWeberCat02 said:
grizpack said:
I assume they will be part of the BSC by then. You know.... To get us back to 22-23 schools in the conference.

I agree the conference is too big, especially for football. UNC and UND should never had been invited. And to this point Idaho isn't looking like a good add either. I'd prefer 8 or 10 schools. But, the conference isn't kicking anyone out and adding one more school isn't going to change the negative effects of too many schools much. But it would give the conference an even number of schools. That would solve the lone wolf scheduling problem for sports other than football, giving everyone a travel partner. Scheduling for an odd number of schools in such a huge geographical area is a logistical nightmare. Still, I'd much rather see N Mex St added than Dixie St.

Add 'em and then split into two. :thumb: :thumb:

Yep..this is the only thing that makes sense...have the north and south conference winners play each other for BSC champs.

NORTH DIVISION:
Montana, Montana State, Eastern Washington, Idaho, Idaho State, Portland State, Weber State

SOUTH DIVISION: (aka whos playing for 2nd)
UC Davis, Sac State, Cal Poly, No Colorado, So Utah, NAU, Dixie State

Its the only thing that makes sense...which tells me the BSC will not be doing this lol.
How did you miss the memo that there are playoffs and no conf championship games in FCS?

BozAngelesGriz said:
UNDfan said:

SUU
NAU
UNC
Portland St
Idaho St
CWU

Central Washington as a conference game? I know UM has them scheduled in 2020 but I was under the impression they were staying D2 for the time being

Ignore SiouxSucks fantasies. He has the Dakotas and Montana Schools in a FBS conference by then.

tourist said:
Lots of theories, the only facts are money and years. This stinks. Those of you wanting P5 games should be pissed, with DSU taking a game slot in each of four years. As Grizbeer has pointed out, lost opportunity cost. Those favoring FCS are kinda getting what you wanted, only Savannah and Valpro look like Dragon Slayers by comparison(pun intended). Who is overseeing Haslam?

What opportunity costs? A P5 is NOT playing in Missoula.

UNDfan said:
KoolMoeDee said:
UNDfan said:

SUU
NAU
UNC
Portland St
Idaho St
CWU

"Dixie State and Southern Utah previously announced a three-game series for 2020 and 2022 at SUU and 2024 at DSU"
Dixie had to announce games against SUU to be popular. The 2022 and 2024 games will be swept under the Big Sky schedule.

The six NAU games will all be conference ones so no cash was exchanged,

Stupid. Home and home series never involve cash. Friggin moron

AZGrizFan said:
No. I would much rather they split into two wholly different conferences.
Agree; two 8 team conferences; can schedule each other for OOC:
The Big Sky:
Montana, MSU, EWU, Idaho, ISU, PSU, Weber, CSU
The Southwest:
Davis, SacSt, CPSLO, UNC, SUU, NAU, Dixie St., NMSU

The problem is that there is only one auto-bid to go around, so unless the NCAA would release another, this is DOA.

kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
It would seem playing there in 2023 is part of a home and home agreement. Seriously, I don't get the outrage about paying a team for coming to Missoula 2 years in a row.
There are actually two outrages. First, four games with Dixie St. in 8 years sucks. Secondly, we are paying them $130,000 per game for the last two home games, while other schools are paying them far, far less.

boo effn' hoo.
OK, smartass, articulate what is good about this deal.

Not sure I said it was good or bad. What I see is a FCS school in the West with few OOC options available in the West that must be struggling to get teams to come to Missoula without promise of a home and home. People want to think scheduling is an easy task, but with the shrinking pool of Western FCS schools that are not in the BSC, and every BSC team trying to schedule from the same small pool, it is what it is.

dbackjon said:
UNDfan said:
KoolMoeDee said:
UNDfan said:

SUU
NAU
UNC
Portland St
Idaho St
CWU

"Dixie State and Southern Utah previously announced a three-game series for 2020 and 2022 at SUU and 2024 at DSU"
Dixie had to announce games against SUU to be popular. The 2022 and 2024 games will be swept under the Big Sky schedule.

The six NAU games will all be conference ones so no cash was exchanged,

Stupid. Home and home series never involve cash. Friggin moron

I think home and home series do sometimes involve cash paid to visitor. The reason is that the visitor wants cash to match against travel expenses. It's not a lot of money, and it's usually the same amount, but it's something. The advantage goes to the team that is able to sell more tickets at their home game as they have bigger gate $$$.

dbackjon said:
tourist said:
Lots of theories, the only facts are money and years. This stinks. Those of you wanting P5 games should be pissed, with DSU taking a game slot in each of four years. As Grizbeer has pointed out, lost opportunity cost. Those favoring FCS are kinda getting what you wanted, only Savannah and Valpro look like Dragon Slayers by comparison(pun intended). Who is overseeing Haslam?

Games like Oregon, Washington, Iowa, Tennessee. They write a BIG check to go THERE. That opportunity, lost due to scheduling, and writing a big check to piss ant Dixie State.

tourist said:
dbackjon said:
tourist said:

Games like Oregon, Washington, Iowa, Tennessee. They write a BIG check to go THERE. That opportunity, lost due to scheduling, and writing a big check to piss ant Dixie State.

Yes they do, but a home game against Dixie State is not causing the Griz to miss a chance to travel to a P5 for a paycheck.

Paytonlives said:
Personally a FCS win is better than a FBS asskicking...

For who? Sick and tired of playing teams no one has even heard of. How about regularly schedule any fbs teams and get used to playing higher level competition and make the team better as a whole. Playing weaker teams does nothing besides guarantee a win. Does not help us at all. I'd rather see us push ourselves as much as possible instead of half assing.

jcu27 said:
playing higher level competition and make the team better as a whole. Playing weaker teams does nothing besides guarantee a win. Does not help us at all.

This is an inherently false statement.

grizindabox said:
tourist said:
dbackjon said:
tourist said:

Yes they do, but a home game against Dixie State is not causing the Griz to miss a chance to travel to a P5 for a paycheck.

Correct - unless he is advocating only playing four home games a year.

grizindabox said:
jcu27 said:
playing higher level competition and make the team better as a whole. Playing weaker teams does nothing besides guarantee a win. Does not help us at all.
This is an inherently false statement.
There is no data to say it is true or false. But my experience tells me it's true. Hard to adjust to better, faster speed of play when you haven't seen it all year.

grizindabox said:
kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
kemajic said:
There are actually two outrages. First, four games with Dixie St. in 8 years sucks. Secondly, we are paying them $130,000 per game for the last two home games, while other schools are paying them far, far less.

boo effn' hoo.

Not sure I said it was good or bad. What I see is a FCS school in the West with few OOC options available in the West that must be struggling to get teams to come to Missoula without promise of a home and home. People want to think scheduling is an easy task, but with the shrinking pool of Western FCS schools that are not in the BSC, and every BSC team trying to schedule from the same small pool, it is what it is.
No one said scheduling is easy, but why is it easier for MSU, Davis and Ill. St., that got Dixie St. home games for a fraction of what we paid? Sure, Weber and SUU are bus games, understandable. It appears our negotiating skills leave a bit to be desired at a time when we're not long on money. In addition to the overpay, a lot of the Dixie States on the schedule is not going to help fill the seats. They will be a weak draw.

dbackjon said:
AZGrizFan said:
dbackjon said:
UNDfan said:

SUU
NAU
UNC
Portland St
Idaho St
CWU

Y

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They have already announced OOC games against SUU and NAU...

Hey, he's nothing if not consistent, Jon. :D :D

Very true, Blake
:D

kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
boo effn' hoo.

No one said scheduling is easy, but why is it easier for MSU, Davis and Ill. St., that got Dixie St. home games for a fraction of what we paid? Sure, Weber and SUU are bus games, understandable. It appears our negotiating skills leave a bit to be desired at a time when we're not long on money. In addition to the overpay, a lot of the Dixie States on the schedule is not going to help fill the seats. They will be a weak draw.

My guess is the back to back seasons made the payout more of a premium. But for whatever reason, Haslem was OK with the price. I will add my take, but bitching about a FCS team scheduling another FCS teams is dumb.

grizindabox said:
kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
kemajic said:

My guess is the back to back seasons made the payout more of a premium. But for whatever reason, Haslem was OK with the price. I will add my take, but bitching about a FCS team scheduling another FCS teams is dumb.
Dixie State is not just another FCS team; they've been a DII dormat (36-72 over the last 10 years) and have yet to play a game in FCS. The weakest we could find to qualify as FCS on the schedule; yet we wonder why our SOS is so poorly rated. Schedule fillers, certainly not exciting to the season ticket holders. Can expect a lot of no-shows for these epic battles, but the AD and you can keep patting yourselves on the back.

Latest posts

Back