• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz to play Dixie St

Lots of theories, the only facts are money and years. This stinks. Those of you wanting P5 games should be pissed, with DSU taking a game slot in each of four years. As Grizbeer has pointed out, lost opportunity cost. Those favoring FCS are kinda getting what you wanted, only Savannah and Valpro look like Dragon Slayers by comparison(pun intended). Who is overseeing Haslam?

UNDfan said:
Dixie St is only announcing their OOC games down the pike.

Their in conference games will be against:

SUU
NAU
UNC
Portland St
Idaho St
CWU

Any out of conference series can be announced now.

Central Washington as a conference game? I know UM has them scheduled in 2020 but I was under the impression they were staying D2 for the time being

BozAngelesGriz said:
UNDfan said:

SUU
NAU
UNC
Portland St
Idaho St
CWU

Central Washington as a conference game? I know UM has them scheduled in 2020 but I was under the impression they were staying D2 for the time being

CWU will join the remnant of the Big Sky later.

EWU, the Griz, the kitties, Weber and Idaho will get the he ll out. The Griz and kitties games are announced because Dixie will join the poor orphan kids of the Sky. UVU and Seattle and Metro St will be there without fb.

Grizbeer said:
grizindabox said:
Grizbeer said:
dbackjon said:
Not sure what the complaint is. They will be FCS when the Griz play them. 3 at home. Would you rather play Robert Morris or Colorado School of Mines? And the cost for the three home games is CHEAP. South Dakota State is giving Dixie State $200K for ONE game.

Not sure you really understand OOC scheduling difficulties or economics.
If you count all 3 home games in the price you also have to count the road game with no revenue - which could have been a money game from a power 5 that pays $650k or more. So those 4 games "cost" UM over a million dollars for a team that likely won't help in sos or in making the playoffs - think 2017 when Montana had 7 D1 wins but 2 were over Savannah st and Valpo. That doesn't seem cheap.

This really seems like a large favor Haslam's handed out to help them go D1. Say, isn't Haslam's from Utah? Hmmmmmm

Maybe they are playing a P5 money game in 2026 or 2027?

Possibly, but I'm not sure what that would have to do with playing a road game at Dixie in 2023? Of course that misses the whole point - surely Haslam didn't agree to pay Dixie for 3 home games AND agree to on the road for free, so Jon's "games are cheap" math is flawed.

It would seem playing there in 2023 is part of a home and home agreement. Seriously, I don't get the outrage about paying a team for coming to Missoula 2 years in a row.

tourist said:
Lots of theories, the only facts are money and years. This stinks. Those of you wanting P5 games should be pissed, with DSU taking a game slot in each of four years. As Grizbeer has pointed out, lost opportunity cost. Those favoring FCS are kinda getting what you wanted, only Savannah and Valpro look like Dragon Slayers by comparison(pun intended). Who is overseeing Haslam?

You do realize, playing Dixie St at home has no influence on scheduling a P5 game....zero....none.

UNDfan said:

SUU
NAU
UNC
Portland St
Idaho St
CWU

"Dixie State and Southern Utah previously announced a three-game series for 2020 and 2022 at SUU and 2024 at DSU"

"and six games with Northern Arizona (2023-28)."

KoolMoeDee said:
UNDfan said:

SUU
NAU
UNC
Portland St
Idaho St
CWU

"Dixie State and Southern Utah previously announced a three-game series for 2020 and 2022 at SUU and 2024 at DSU"

This is no place for facts.

KoolMoeDee said:
UNDfan said:

SUU
NAU
UNC
Portland St
Idaho St
CWU

Dixie had to announce games against SUU to be popular. The 2022 and 2024 games will be swept under the Big Sky schedule.

The six NAU games will all be conference ones so no cash was exchanged,

grizindabox said:
Grizbeer said:
grizindabox said:
Grizbeer said:
If you count all 3 home games in the price you also have to count the road game with no revenue - which could have been a money game from a power 5 that pays $650k or more. So those 4 games "cost" UM over a million dollars for a team that likely won't help in sos or in making the playoffs - think 2017 when Montana had 7 D1 wins but 2 were over Savannah st and Valpo. That doesn't seem cheap.

This really seems like a large favor Haslam's handed out to help them go D1. Say, isn't Haslam's from Utah? Hmmmmmm

Possibly, but I'm not sure what that would have to do with playing a road game at Dixie in 2023? Of course that misses the whole point - surely Haslam didn't agree to pay Dixie for 3 home games AND agree to on the road for free, so Jon's "games are cheap" math is flawed.

It would seem playing there in 2023 is part of a home and home agreement. Seriously, I don't get the outrage about paying a team for coming to Missoula 2 years in a row.
There are actually two outrages. First, four games with Dixie St. in 8 years sucks. Secondly, we are paying them $130,000 per game for the last two home games, while other schools are paying them far, far less.

kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
Grizbeer said:
grizindabox said:

There are actually two outrages. First, four games with Dixie St. in 8 years sucks. Secondly, we are paying them $130,000 per game for the last two home games, while other schools are paying them far, far less.

boo effn' hoo.

grizindabox said:
kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
Grizbeer said:

boo effn' hoo.
OK, smartass, articulate what is good about this deal.

UNDfan said:

SUU
NAU
UNC
Portland St
Idaho St
CWU

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They have already announced OOC games against SUU and NAU...

WaGriz4life said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
Spanky2 said:
Their addition should please the body bag group. Another Northern Colorado.

I bet they’re regularly above UNC in the standings by then. :lol:

Should be good competition for who can top 4000 average attendance. St. George is larger than Missoula.

Good luck recruiting to Saint George.

Lol come play in St George...were only an hour and a half drive from screwing up your life in Vegas!

AZGrizFan said:
SWeberCat02 said:
grizpack said:
I assume they will be part of the BSC by then. You know.... To get us back to 22-23 schools in the conference.

I agree the conference is too big, especially for football. UNC and UND should never had been invited. And to this point Idaho isn't looking like a good add either. I'd prefer 8 or 10 schools. But, the conference isn't kicking anyone out and adding one more school isn't going to change the negative effects of too many schools much. But it would give the conference an even number of schools. That would solve the lone wolf scheduling problem for sports other than football, giving everyone a travel partner. Scheduling for an odd number of schools in such a huge geographical area is a logistical nightmare. Still, I'd much rather see N Mex St added than Dixie St.

Add 'em and then split into two. :thumb: :thumb:

Yep..this is the only thing that makes sense...have the north and south conference winners play each other for BSC champs.

NORTH DIVISION:
Montana, Montana State, Eastern Washington, Idaho, Idaho State, Portland State, Weber State

SOUTH DIVISION: (aka whos playing for 2nd)
UC Davis, Sac State, Cal Poly, No Colorado, So Utah, NAU, Dixie State

Its the only thing that makes sense...which tells me the BSC will not be doing this lol.

dbackjon said:
tourist said:
I am having one hell of a time trying to understand what is going on at UM. Bodner is trying to right the sinking ship while someone else(Haslam?)seems to be drilling holes in the hull to let the water out. Is UM in such dire condition that it schedules FOUR GAMES with a school who isn't even FCS level at this point. I know that in the past, the per game ticket price was printed on each ticket. This should be no more than a $10 game. This article is clear as mud. Horrible writing. Haslam needs to come clean and explain exactly what he has agreed to and why.

Not sure what the complaint is. They will be FCS when the Griz play them. 3 at home. Would you rather play Robert Morris or Colorado School of Mines? And the cost for the three home games is CHEAP. South Dakota State is giving Dixie State $200K for ONE game.

Not sure you really understand OOC scheduling difficulties or economics.

Hey..YOU LEAVE BOB STITT OUT OF THIS.

dbackjon said:
UNDfan said:

SUU
NAU
UNC
Portland St
Idaho St
CWU

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They have already announced OOC games against SUU and NAU...

Hey, he's nothing if not consistent, Jon. :D :D

BadlandsGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:
SWeberCat02 said:
grizpack said:
I assume they will be part of the BSC by then. You know.... To get us back to 22-23 schools in the conference.

I agree the conference is too big, especially for football. UNC and UND should never had been invited. And to this point Idaho isn't looking like a good add either. I'd prefer 8 or 10 schools. But, the conference isn't kicking anyone out and adding one more school isn't going to change the negative effects of too many schools much. But it would give the conference an even number of schools. That would solve the lone wolf scheduling problem for sports other than football, giving everyone a travel partner. Scheduling for an odd number of schools in such a huge geographical area is a logistical nightmare. Still, I'd much rather see N Mex St added than Dixie St.

Add 'em and then split into two. :thumb: :thumb:

Yep..this is the only thing that makes sense...have the north and south conference winners play each other for BSC champs.

NORTH DIVISION:
Montana, Montana State, Eastern Washington, Idaho, Idaho State, Portland State, Weber State

SOUTH DIVISION: (aka whos playing for 2nd)
UC Davis, Sac State, Cal Poly, No Colorado, So Utah, NAU, Dixie State

Its the only thing that makes sense...which tells me the BSC will not be doing this lol.

No. I would much rather they split into two wholly different conferences.

Back