• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cam Humphrey as the Heir Apparent

bgbigdog said:
So CDA... is the new avatar the view from the backyard, before/after the fire? I’ll hang up now and listen for my answer.

Yes, pre-fire. Never take your work home with you.

Spanky2 said:
SaskGriz said:
bgbigdog said:
Spanky2 said:
Bobby has the team within striking distance of a NC team. A couple of transfer OL tackles and a big, fast running back will move us much closer to the championship goal. We are a very good team today. Just not quite championship caliber.

So now we need help @ running back. Really?
Yeah, our thousand yard record setter/BSC New Comer of The Year needs to be up-graded.
He is a good journeyman running back. I’m thinking of a Lex type In addition. I also realize that backs like Lex don’t come along very often.
Sophomore backs like Knight don't come along very often. Don't know what you've been watching, but Knight is the best running back we've had in several years and will only get better. Journeyman? Makes you look like a fool.

IdaGriz01 said:
Spanky2 said:
SaskGriz said:
bgbigdog said:
Yeah, our thousand yard record setter/BSC New Comer of The Year needs to be up-graded.
He is a good journeyman [ :eek: ] running back. I’m thinking of a Lex type In addition. I also realize that backs like Lex don’t come along very often.
Hmmm ... How about some numbers?

Out all the running backs in FCS with enough carries to qualify for NCAA stats (200 are listed). Marcus Knight is #26 in total Rushing Yards, with an average of 4.54 yards per carry. He is one of only 33 thousand-yard rushers on the list. He is #1 in Rushing Touchdowns, with 23. That puts him 4 ahead of the only back who might still catch him … a guy for plays for James Madison. The others who are even close are all done for the year.

Some journeyman.
Did you mention that he's also an excellent receiver out of the backfield, with 2 more TDs receiving? The kid scored 150 points with an elite eye for the end zone. Spanky needs to get back to his tennis with that kind of comment.

kemajic said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Spanky2 said:
SaskGriz said:
He is a good journeyman [ :eek: ] running back. I’m thinking of a Lex type In addition. I also realize that backs like Lex don’t come along very often.
Hmmm ... How about some numbers?

Out all the running backs in FCS with enough carries to qualify for NCAA stats (200 are listed). Marcus Knight is #26 in total Rushing Yards, with an average of 4.54 yards per carry. He is one of only 33 thousand-yard rushers on the list. He is #1 in Rushing Touchdowns, with 23. That puts him 4 ahead of the only back who might still catch him … a guy for plays for James Madison. The others who are even close are all done for the year.

Some journeyman.
Did you mention that he's also an excellent receiver out of the backfield, with 2 more TDs receiving? The kid scored 150 points with an elite eye for the end zone. Spanky needs to get back to his tennis with that kind of comment.

Or someone just take the shovel away from him.

kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:
SaskGriz said:
bgbigdog said:
He is a good journeyman running back. I’m thinking of a Lex type In addition. I also realize that backs like Lex don’t come along very often.
Sophomore backs like Knight don't come along very often. Don't know what you've been watching, but Knight is the best running back we've had in several years and will only get better. Journeyman? Makes you look like a fool.

so now sophomores typically aren't as prepared to play at a high level as, say, more physically mature juniors?

kemajic said:
IdaGriz01 said:
... Hmmm ... How about some numbers?

Some journeyman.
Did you mention that he's also an excellent receiver out of the backfield, with 2 more TDs receiving? The kid scored 150 points with an elite eye for the end zone. ...
Glad you mentioned that.

I didn’t because I had no numbers (I’m the numbers guy, after all). I did look that up too, but the NCAA doesn't keep a stat that would feature Knight's receiving yards or TDs ... swamped by WR numbers. They keep first downs only as a team stat, so those short “dump” passes he caught for crucial first downs get lost too.

IdaGriz01 said:
kemajic said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Some journeyman.
Did you mention that he's also an excellent receiver out of the backfield, with 2 more TDs receiving? The kid scored 150 points with an elite eye for the end zone. ...
Glad you mentioned that.

I didn’t because I had no numbers (I’m the numbers guy, after all). I did look that up too, but the NCAA doesn't keep a stat that would feature Knight's receiving yards or TDs ... swamped by WR numbers. They keep first downs only as a team stat, so those short “dump” passes he caught for crucial first downs get lost too.

much easier to go to the BSC website or gogriz.com to get data like that.

Gentlemen, Gentlemen, I didn’t suggest replacing Knight. I said a back like Lex in addition to Knight. I also said that a Lex type back isn’t often available. Many of you want to beat the Bobcats, win the Big Sky and the NC. It seems to me that we need to recruit the best possible talent if we are going to meet those objectives. At least I got your attention even if you are a bunch of Democrats. Kem, I do love the game of tennis.

I agree with Spanky that another NFL-caliber RB would be great to have on the team. It's a hot take, but I'll die on this hill.

AZGrizFan said:
IdaGriz01 said:
kemajic said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Some journeyman.
Glad you mentioned that.

much easier to go to the BSC website or gogriz.com to get data like that.
True dat! But it's nice to try to get a national perspective.

CDAGRIZ said:
I agree with Spanky that another NFL-caliber RB would be great to have on the team. It's a hot take, but I'll die on this hill.
I would generally agree that Knight is not an "NFL-caliber RB" ... now.

But he definitely has the basic tools:
Patience at finding a hole (okay now, should get better with experience), a sudden burst when he needs it (could be better, but that goes with recognizing an opportunity), and some pretty good speed once he gets rolling. His durability was not really tested because that's not how the Griz RPO works. But it seemed fine, and should get better as his body matures. Plus, he has pretty good hands to catch passes. He seems adequate in pass-protect blocking, although my impression is that it could be better (another skill that should improve with experience).

The NFL likes backs who can get the tough yards when they're needed (and Knight didn't get all those TDs by avoiding contact), throw in a breakaway now and then, and (crucial) protect the QB. They love backs who can do all that and also catch passes and get some YAC.

IdaGriz01 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Patience at finding a hole (okay now, should get better with experience), a sudden burst when he needs it (could be better, but that goes with recognizing an opportunity), and some pretty good speed once he gets rolling. His durability was not really tested because that's not how the Griz RPO works. But it seemed fine, and should get better as his body matures. Plus, he has pretty good hands to catch passes. He seems adequate in pass-protect blocking, although my impression is that it could be better (another skill that should improve with experience).

The NFL likes backs who can get the tough yards when they're needed (and Knight didn't get all those TDs by avoiding contact), throw in a breakaway now and then, and (crucial) protect the QB. They love backs who can do all that and also catch passes and get some YAC.
You have just described a journeyman running back.

Spanky2 said:
IdaGriz01 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

You have just described a journeyman running back.
Who was a thousand-yard rusher and led in rushing TDs, this year ... don't think so.

Spanky2 said:
Look it up in Webster’s Ida. Doesn’t mean he isn’t good.
Try Britannica (very similar, BTW): "reliable" but not "brilliant" (unusually skilled). Someone -- i.e. Knight -- who leads his position category in scoring (TDs) and is at the elite level of yardage (thousand-plus) is more than just "reliable."

Talking perspective here. I think (hope) that we can agree that a running back does not have to be "NFL ready" to be an outstanding (unusually skilled) collegiate runner. Knight is more than just a journeyman collegiate RB (proven by his numbers, IMO). He has the potential to be more, but it remains to be seen if he can get there.

Back