• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cam Humphrey as the Heir Apparent

reinell30 said:
When I hear that Cam isn't a mobile scrambler like Sneed is I think. Remember John Edwards, Andrew Selle? They weren't to fleet a foot either but we won. Cam will be just fine!...

John Edwards was a pretty good runner

The o line will be the factor as we saw, hell if you don't have that it doesn't matter who you have back there.

For the couple of games that Cam played the o line played well and so did he.

kyle_sample said:
reinell30 said:
When I hear that Cam isn't a mobile scrambler like Sneed is I think. Remember John Edwards, Andrew Selle? They weren't to fleet a foot either but we won. Cam will be just fine!...

Jumpstarted a dormant Griz offense with a clutch third down conversion scramble out of his own end zone in the Furman championship game.

mtgriz said:
kyle_sample said:
reinell30 said:

Jumpstarted a dormant Griz offense with a clutch third down conversion scramble out of his own end zone in the Furman championship game.

He only scrambled when it was the last choice. He could run but he didn't like too. He had plenty of time to survey the field on almost every play. Great O-Line (s) in his days...

Seems like we are always behind the 8 ball with our OL? We improved last year, but not enough. What is it going to take? We now have good running backs, but they need someone to block unlike what we saw at Weber State.

Beavers, Cook, Anderson returning tackles, Keintz is returning also, but don't know if he will be a contender for starting position at tackle, hope he can progress, time will tell.
Guard is a position with several big bodies returning, Ganoung, Kanouse, Pillans, and Mallory one of these may even fill center position if Martin or Quick aren't ready. Hope Quick wins center, but he is still young and maybe another year away.
Cook and Keintz got worked over towards end of the year, Cook has more upside for improvement. If staff brings in one or two more upper class-men at OL to help at center or tackle that would be great, but there is a good foundation of players on current roster for starters in 2020.
With returning class of TEs they will help with protecting future QB also. Knight had some good games in pass protection and should improve.
Mallory has brought a needed attitude to the O-line and hope his leadership continues(thanks Moses).
OL in 2019 was big, but 2020 OL projects to be 10+ lbs bigger across the board. Third year under same staff will also help.

mtgriz said:
kyle_sample said:
reinell30 said:

Also ran really well in the championship against Georgia Southern the year before

Spanky2 said:
Seems like we are always behind the 8 ball with our OL? We improved last year, but not enough. What is it going to take? We now have good running backs, but they need someone to block unlike what we saw at Weber State.

giphy.gif

BadlandsGrizFan said:
With the amount of talent that is going to be around Cam on this offense next year...all he has to do is be a distributor...point guard type. Get the ball in the right guys hands and dont turn the ball over.

Be accurate when throwing swing passes to Knight....know when checking out of a pass and handing off to Ostmo and Knight is the right move....push the ball down field to Toure....hit Akem over the middle.

If he can consistently do just those minimal things...which I think he absolutely can...this offense is going to be a monster again.

you have to think...what separated Sneed and Cam....it was mostly Sneeds running ability (hes obviously a huge leader too)....Sneed couldnt even use that the second half of the season. And most would say Cam has a stronger arm tan Sneed does.

With what he has around him...he can play a relatively safe role and this offense will still look dominant.

I agree with this perspective. This offense has the potential to be dominating, even with an average QB leading. Assuming guys will recover from injuries, we'll have Toure, Akem, Roberts, Flowers, Graves, Rensvold, Deming, Knight, Ostmo, Sulser(?). We're loaded with skill players who have already proven their ability. I think all that Cam has to do is just keep it running on the rails.

This isn't that hard.

1. Recruit the right number of the best QBs you can.

2. Let them fight it out in Spring and Fall camp.

3. Give the job to the one who performs best,

Nobody ïnherits the job. Too simple??

AZGrizFan said:
MTGRZ said:
I believe in Cam. Is he the same fiery guy that Sneed is? Probably not. And that's OK-he needs to be himself to be his best. I think with a full offseason as QB1, he will develop into a guy that can take this team far.

Sneed's tweet post-game about Cam seems to imply HE thinks Cam is the guy. :thumb: :thumb:

At this point, I think Cam is the guy, but Bobby will have a wide open competition for the position. He’s got the belief of the rest of the team, I would imagine, but Bobby will put the best QB at number one, who give us a chance to take the team to the championship. Cam definitely has the advantage at this point, and I’m pulling for him to win it!

kyle_sample said:
reinell30 said:

We won a lot of games with Cole Bergquist at QB.

kemajic said:
Diesel said:
Cook and Keintz got worked over towards end of the year, Cook has more upside for improvement.
Cook was really worked over in the Weber game.

Wish I could find a replay of that game. Wasn’t able to watch it and haven’t seen it.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
Diesel said:
Cook and Keintz got worked over towards end of the year, Cook has more upside for improvement.
Cook was really worked over in the Weber game.

Wish I could find a replay of that game. Wasn’t able to watch it and haven’t seen it.

https://www.espn.com/watch/player?categoryId=60459870-f8fc-3b3a-a6b9-d8af4bf19223&id=b3e8de2d-1d1d-4d85-8cde-72730952f48d

Try this link. You can search ESPN and find past events by sport, date, and network.

Bobby has the team within striking distance of a NC team. A couple of transfer OL tackles and a big, fast running back will move us much closer to the championship goal. We are a very good team today. Just not quite championship caliber.

Spanky2 said:
Bobby has the team within striking distance of a NC team. A couple of transfer OL tackles and a big, fast running back will move us much closer to the championship goal. We are a very good team today. Just not quite championship caliber.
Problem is those transfers aren't going to happen

Spanky2 said:

So now we need help @ running back. Really?

Back