• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cam Humphrey as the Heir Apparent

I believe Cam is our guy until someone else comes along who is head and shoulders above him in every phase of the game. Right now, that person isn't with the Griz. (That I know of)

With the amount of talent that is going to be around Cam on this offense next year...all he has to do is be a distributor...point guard type. Get the ball in the right guys hands and dont turn the ball over.

Be accurate when throwing swing passes to Knight....know when checking out of a pass and handing off to Ostmo and Knight is the right move....push the ball down field to Toure....hit Akem over the middle.

If he can consistently do just those minimal things...which I think he absolutely can...this offense is going to be a monster again.

you have to think...what separated Sneed and Cam....it was mostly Sneeds running ability (hes obviously a huge leader too)....Sneed couldnt even use that the second half of the season. And most would say Cam has a stronger arm tan Sneed does.

With what he has around him...he can play a relatively safe role and this offense will still look dominant.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
With the amount of talent that is going to be around Cam on this offense next year...all he has to do is be a distributor...point guard type. Get the ball in the right guys hands and dont turn the ball over.

Be accurate when throwing swing passes to Knight....know when checking out of a pass and handing off to Ostmo and Knight is the right move....push the ball down field to Toure....hit Akem over the middle.

If he can consistently do just those minimal things...which I think he absolutely can...this offense is going to be a monster again.

you have to think...what separated Sneed and Cam....it was mostly Sneeds running ability (hes obviously a huge leader too)....Sneed couldnt even use that the second half of the season. And most would say Cam has a stronger arm tan Sneed does.

With what he has around him...he can play a relatively safe role and this offense will still look dominant.

Good post.

While Cam may not be as good running the football as Dalton was, I think Cam still has legs when he needs it. And as you mentioned that Sneed couldn't use his running ability in the second half of the season, I think that a healthy Cam is still able to run better (maybe not by much) than a hobbled Sneed. Because of this, all Cam has to be able to do is escape pressure when able to extend plays. He might not get the additional yards that Dalton did, but he'll do a fine job none the less.

When I hear that Cam isn't a mobile scrambler like Sneed is I think. Remember John Edwards, Andrew Selle? They weren't to fleet a foot either but we won. Cam will be just fine!...

reinell30 said:
When I hear that Cam isn't a mobile scrambler like Sneed is I think. Remember John Edwards, Andrew Selle? They weren't to fleet a foot either but we won. Cam will be just fine!...
You make a good point, but don't forget that Edwards and Selle had the benefit of working in tandem with a substantially better rushing attack than the one we have/will presumably have next season.

George Ferguson said:
Ohh the irony is thick on this one. A quick glance back at Egriz on Saturday night had a lot of posters clamoring for Humphrey to go in at Weber. A few days later though, he's not good enough lol.

I thought that given the way sneed was playing, Humphrey should have gone in and given the defense a different look. I think he will be QB1 next year unless the saddleback Juco transfer is just that much better that he can beat out a seasoned Humphrey.

uofmman1122 said:
reinell30 said:
You make a good point, but don't forget that Edwards and Selle had the benefit of working in tandem with a substantially better rushing attack than the one we have/will presumably have next season.

While I agree that those other two attacks were better...I think our rushing attack was really good this year. Knight did break scoring records. Ostmo and Turner are going to take a step up next year too. We have all those guys for 2-3 more years, which is awesome. If our oline improves at the same rate they did this year..next years will be borderline dominant.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
George Ferguson said:
Ohh the irony is thick on this one. A quick glance back at Egriz on Saturday night had a lot of posters clamoring for Humphrey to go in at Weber. A few days later though, he's not good enough lol.

I thought that given the way sneed was playing, Humphrey should have gone in and given the defense a different look. I think he will be QB1 next year unless the saddleback Juco transfer is just that much better that he can beat out a seasoned Humphrey.

If they were playing well enough to bamboozle Sneed, what do you think they would have done to a QB with far less mobility and in-game experience?

Htowngriz said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
George Ferguson said:

If they were playing well enough to bamboozle Sneed, what do you think they would have done to a QB with far less mobility and in-game experience?

I have no idea, but I’m not sure that Humphrey wouldn’t have been more mobile than a less than a 100% sneed. Not to mention, when any other player puts the ball on the ground they get to sit. I don’t think that one or even two picks thrown by a QB should be handled the same way, but after the 4th, then 5th?! Absolutely sneed deserved to sit if for no other reason than he was just completely ineffective at that point so why not try something different.

Htowngriz said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
George Ferguson said:

Given Sneed's injury and lack of running in recent games, do you think he was more mobile last game than Humphrey would have been? I don't know. Just asking.

I thought Hauck would leave Sneed in, and was fine with him doing that, but I would have been fine with Humphrey too. Had a change been made and Griz lost, Hauck would have gotten criticism. That isn't meant as a reason not to make a change.

I thought Sneed would lead the Griz to a comeback victory, and certainly a tie, until the last interception. It just felt that it was right that Sneed would rally and bring the Griz back. I was stunned when the interception occurred. I assume Sneed never saw or sensed the defender. That defender has good hands. Like Gubner.

I would submit that the concern would be better served to focus on the OL rather than a quality QB. No doubt, we saw considerable improvement with the OL, however, the line was less effective against a team such as Weber State. If Bobby can bring in a couple more JC or FBS transfers, the OL should be fully competitive at a higher level.

Spanky2 said:
I would submit that the concern would be better served to focus on the OL rather than a quality QB. No doubt, we saw considerable improvement with the OL, however, the line was less effective against a team such as Weber State. If Bobby can bring in a couple more JC or FBS transfers, the OL should be fully competitive at a higher level.

I nominate Quinn, Russum and Horn.

..sometimes what separates QB from other QB is CONFIDENCE (understanding the play calling and reading
the defense)...I think Cam will have that unless a more confident QB transfers in...

PlayerRep said:
Htowngriz said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
George Ferguson said:

Given Sneed's injury and lack of running in recent games, do you think he was more mobile last game than Humphrey would have been? I don't know. Just asking.

I thought Hauck would leave Sneed in, and was fine with him doing that, but I would have been fine with Humphrey too. Had a change been made and Griz lost, Hauck would have gotten criticism. That isn't meant as a reason not to make a change.

I thought Sneed would lead the Griz to a comeback victory, and certainly a tie, until the last interception. It just felt that it was right that Sneed would rally and bring the Griz back. I was stunned when the interception occurred. I assume Sneed never saw or sensed the defender. That defender has good hands. Like Gubner.

Good post and good discussion. You could argue that the urgency of the game had its own inertia as far as keeping Sneed in. The later it got in the game, the more I can see why the coaches wanted their proven playmaker in the game. I also thought Sneed would rally for the win.

At what point do you pull Sneed? I can see the reasoning behind sitting Sneed for a series earlier in the 2nd half but when you only have time for two offensive series, I would go with the proven senior.

The other unknown factor is the confidence the staff have in Humphry.

I’m probably alone, but it never even crossed my mind to pull Sneed in the second half. Like PR and Ursa, I had zero doubt that Sneed would lead a comeback win. I honestly wasn’t worried at all until the last pick. I think I’d be an awful football coach, truth be told.

As for Cam, I think he will be the starter. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see a good percentage of snaps going to another next season. That said, see above.

AZGrizFan said:
MTGRZ said:
I believe in Cam. Is he the same fiery guy that Sneed is? Probably not. And that's OK-he needs to be himself to be his best. I think with a full offseason as QB1, he will develop into a guy that can take this team far.

Sneed's tweet post-game about Cam seems to imply HE thinks Cam is the guy. :thumb: :thumb:
and that endorsement is good enough for me! :thumb:

Ursa Major said:
PlayerRep said:
Htowngriz said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Good post and good discussion. You could argue that the urgency of the game had its own inertia as far as keeping Sneed in. The later it got in the game, the more I can see why the coaches wanted their proven playmaker in the game. I also thought Sneed would rally for the win.

At what point do you pull Sneed? I can see the reasoning behind sitting Sneed for a series earlier in the 2nd half but when you only have time for two offensive series, I would go with the proven senior.

The other unknown factor is the confidence the staff have in Humphry.

Great comments, PR and great response. I would have been fine either way with Hauck's decision...I've felt since Sneed's injury that he wasn't the same and it was obvious he'd retweaked his ankle in the SELA game which put us at even more of a disadvantage. But I can clearly see wanting your seasoned warrior out there in an all-or-nothing game.

I was following the game on Gamecast, and was also certain that he would lead us back, but the blocked punt was the final nail in the coffin.

I don't think Cam is gonna be winning the Payton or anything, but he can certainly be an asset on a good-to-very-good team trying to make a deep playoff run.

Back