• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cam Humphrey as the Heir Apparent

argh! said:
BDizzle said:
griz4life said:
If Humphrey can be replaced by a Juco transfer with no time in the offense, the Griz are in trouble.

I think the Griz are fine with who's already on the roster. The O line recruits this week were mostly guys who need to put on 40 to 60 pounds. You don't recruit a guy like that unless you have time to build him up.. the incoming QBs have no FCS or FBS experience, probably an indicator they will be given time to develop, too.

Our freshman all American got replaced by a JUCO transfer and it worked out pretty well.

6-5 is working out well?
6-5 only because of the heroics of the JUCO transfer QB. The 10-4 second season and Q-finals of course does not fit your narrative, so don't mention it. Meanwhile, the departing RS freshman's new team was 3-9 and he didn't last the season as the starter for the since-fired OC. Are you still questioning the spring 2018 QB choice?

kemajic said:
argh! said:
BDizzle said:
griz4life said:
If Humphrey can be replaced by a Juco transfer with no time in the offense, the Griz are in trouble.

I think the Griz are fine with who's already on the roster. The O line recruits this week were mostly guys who need to put on 40 to 60 pounds. You don't recruit a guy like that unless you have time to build him up.. the incoming QBs have no FCS or FBS experience, probably an indicator they will be given time to develop, too.

Our freshman all American got replaced by a JUCO transfer and it worked out pretty well.

6-5 is working out well?
6-5 only because of the heroics of the JUCO transfer QB. The 10-4 second season and Q-finals of course does not fit your narrative, so don't mention it. Meanwhile, the departing RS freshman's new team was 3-9 and he didn't last the season as the starter for since fired OC Bob Stitt. Are you still questioning the spring 2018 QB choice?

Also a 6-5 that was oh so close to being 9-2. But for depth/fatigue.

Spanky2 said:
I said they are Democrats because they (and) you turn my posts around to serve their meaning and that is dishonest. My original post stated we need two tackle transfers and a big, fast running back. I also said that Knight is a good journeyman running back. Look up the meaning of good and journeyman in Webster’s. I stand by my post.
Spanky, you can pull out all the definitions you want defensively, but the term "journeyman" when applied to a RB is a pejorative term and a very, very bad choice of words. It in no way describes one of the top young RBs in the BSC and in recent UM history.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
Diesel said:
Cook and Keintz got worked over towards end of the year, Cook has more upside for improvement.
Cook was really worked over in the Weber game.

Wish I could find a replay of that game. Wasn’t able to watch it and haven’t seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a64O9qSSNNo

Spanky2 said:
Sask, now it is your turn to be a man: allow me to pose a question: Knight and a Lex Hilliard clone are both running backs on the same team. Who is the starter? I rest my case.
That is a very good question, presuming you infer a soph Lex compared to Knight. But we can extend the hypothetical game further. Lex Hilliard and a more diminutive Chase Reynolds clone are both running backs on the same team. Who is the starter? Lex Hilliard and a more diminutive Yohanse Humphrey are both running backs on the same team. Who is the starter?

Only one of the RBs mentioned has a NC ring and only one of the other RBs mentioned has a chance at one. Neither is named Lex. So I don't rest my case; the hypothetical questions cannot be definitively answered. And Knight's young career needs to play out. As the OL improves to the level enjoyed by Hilliard, Reynolds and Humphrey, buckle your seat belt; it should be fun.

kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:
Sask, now it is your turn to be a man: allow me to pose a question: Knight and a Lex Hilliard clone are both running backs on the same team. Who is the starter? I rest my case.
That is a very good question, presuming you infer a soph Lex compared to Knight. But we can extend the hypothetical game further. Lex Hilliard and a more diminutive Chase Reynolds clone are both running backs on the same team. Who is the starter? Lex Hilliard and a more diminutive Yohanse Humphrey are both running backs on the same team. Who is the starter?

Only one of the RBs mentioned has a NC ring and only one of the other RBs mentioned has a chance at one. Neither is named Lex. So I don't rest my case; the hypothetical questions cannot be definitively answered. And Knight's young career needs to play out. As the OL improves to the level enjoyed by Hilliard, Reynolds and Humphrey, buckle your seat belt; it should be fun.

I’d want the O-line that Yo ran behind. The best group of five ever in my mind. If we had those five, we’d be playing today & likely against UNDSU in Frisco.

kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:
I said they are Democrats because they (and) you turn my posts around to serve their meaning and that is dishonest. My original post stated we need two tackle transfers and a big, fast running back. I also said that Knight is a good journeyman running back. Look up the meaning of good and journeyman in Webster’s. I stand by my post.
Spanky, you can pull out all the definitions you want defensively, but the term "journeyman" when applied to a RB is a pejorative term and a very, very bad choice of words. It in no way describes one of the top young RBs in the BSC and in recent UM history.
Kem, that is an absurd statement. Journeyman isn’t a pejorative term.

bgbigdog said:
kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:

I’d want the O-line that Yo ran behind. The best group of five ever in my mind. If we had those five, we’d be playing today & likely against UNDSU in Frisco.
Our best OL was 1994. I was at the YSU semi game. In spite of a horrible performance by our backup QB, NC YSU could not touch him; he had all day back there. Read was quoted as saying that had Ochs had the OL that DD had, it would be his number retired.

Spanky2 said:
kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:
When applied to Knight, it certainly is. It implies a low ceiling for a budding star, which is very inappropriate. He has limited experience (soph), is far more than reliable and has exhibited both color and brilliance. He does not have that low ceiling and has two more years to keep climbing. "Journeyman" does not match him in any way. He was a newcomer, not a veteran that has bounced around.

From your own MW: an experienced reliable worker, athlete, or performer especially as distinguished from one who is brilliant or colorful

Kem, I think he is a good player. Budding Star? I hope so. I think you are being a bit extreme with your views of this young man. You seem to have elevated yourself to the position of the all knowing one on the board. I’m concerned that you may have spent too much time in the lab over the years.

Spanky2 said:
Kem, I think he is a good player. Budding Star? I hope so. I think you are being a bit extreme with your views of this young man. You seem to have elevated yourself to the position of the all knowing one on the board. I’m concerned that you may have spent too much time in the lab over the years.
You use Lex Hilliard as the objective of an ideal RB, a pretty high bar. I thought it useful to compare the production of Lex in his soph (2nd UM) season to Knight's soph (1st UM) season.

Hilliard: 14 games, 972 yards rushing (5.1 ave), 17 TDs, 22 receptions for 211 yards, 0 TDs, 85 points
Knight: 14 games, 1030 yards rushing (4.5 ave), 23 TDs, 34 receptions for 277 yards, 2 TDs, 150 points

I'm not the all-knowing one on the board; I'm the BS patrol, checking facts. You be the judge of the comparison. The idea that Knight is at some level significantly below Hilliard sends off the BS alarm. Lex finished as a great back; there is nothing yet to suggest Knight won't.

No there isn’t. He just isn’t at the level of Herschel Walker yet as many of your comments have suggested.

Spanky2 said:
No there isn’t. He just isn’t at the level of Herschel Walker yet as many of your comments have suggested.
The comparison was to Hilliard, your ideal, not the hyperbole of HW. Data and facts are stubborn things, as inconvenient as they sometimes may be.

kemajic said:
argh! said:
BDizzle said:
griz4life said:

6-5 is working out well?
6-5 only because of the heroics of the JUCO transfer QB. The 10-4 second season and Q-finals of course does not fit your narrative, so don't mention it. Meanwhile, the departing RS freshman's new team was 3-9 and he didn't last the season as the starter for the since-fired OC. Are you still questioning the spring 2018 QB choice?

you mean that if hauck had to resort to a second string qb for a good chunk of the season, the griz would have done worse? i thought losing the best qb on a team didn't have any impact on performance?

Spanky2 said:
I don’t think you meant it as pejorative, but it gives that impression. I think most people would read it as a negative. Journeyman itself isn’t disrespectful but it would usually describe someone who has plateaued at a level of doing a respectable job. You should probably just admit it was a poor choice of words and move on. Knight certainly hasn’t plateaued; his future isn’t written in stone yet, but he has the potential to light up the conference or all of FCS with continued hard work and desire. The talent is certainly there.

argh! said:
kemajic said:
argh! said:
BDizzle said:

6-5 is working out well?

you mean that if hauck had to resort to a second string qb for a good chunk of the season, the griz would have done worse? i thought losing the best qb on a team didn't have any impact on performance?
We won both games Sneed was out this year. What's your point?

Back