• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cam Humphrey as the Heir Apparent

A college coach once told a member of my family that potential is only potential until it is actually accomplished in athletic competitive activity. Since the first game I saw Knight play, I thought he had excellent potential. I agree that he is a good player and probably a quality young man.

argh! said:
kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:
SaskGriz said:
Yeah, our thousand yard record setter/BSC New Comer of The Year needs to be up-graded.
He is a good journeyman running back. I’m thinking of a Lex type In addition. I also realize that backs like Lex don’t come along very often.
Sophomore backs like Knight don't come along very often. Don't know what you've been watching, but Knight is the best running back we've had in several years and will only get better. Journeyman? Makes you look like a fool.

so now sophomores typically aren't as prepared to play at a high level as, say, more physically mature juniors?
Lurking as usual; no, they are just not easy to find or recruit to FCS. Knight had a coaching staff that recognized his talent as a RS soph and exploited it. Olson didn't. Pretty simple. We are benefiting from the coaching change in spite of your dissatisfaction.

Spanky2 said:
A college coach once told a member of my family that potential is only potential until it is actually accomplished in athletic competitive activity. Since the first game I saw Knight play, I thought he had excellent potential. I agree that he is a good player and probably a quality young man.
Now that's the Spanky I know; that must have been a snooze back there. Knight is one of the key building blocks for our 2020 season.

Spanky2 said:
Gentlemen, Gentlemen, I didn’t suggest replacing Knight. I said a back like Lex in addition to Knight. I also said that a Lex type back isn’t often available. Many of you want to beat the Bobcats, win the Big Sky and the NC. It seems to me that we need to recruit the best possible talent if we are going to meet those objectives. At least I got your attention even if you are a bunch of Democrats. Kem, I do love the game of tennis.
And you know I'm not a democrat.

I agree, Kem, among other players. Tomorrow’s game in North Dakota is going to be interesting to see if the Bobcats can win. My opinion is the Big Sky Conference has shown considerable improvement in the last few years beyond one or two teams. I believe UM will need all of the firepower we can assemble next year to realize the goal of beating the Bobcats, winning the conference and the NC. If indeed, that is the goal?

mtgriz said:
kyle_sample said:
reinell30 said:
When I hear that Cam isn't a mobile scrambler like Sneed is I think. Remember John Edwards, Andrew Selle? They weren't to fleet a foot either but we won. Cam will be just fine!...

John Edwards was a pretty good runner

Jumpstarted a dormant Griz offense with a clutch third down conversion scramble out of his own end zone in the Furman championship game.

I was there. When he got that first down, I felt we were going to win it. I do believe that drive ended in a touchdown?

Spanky2 said:
I agree, Kem, among other players. Tomorrow’s game in North Dakota is going to be interesting to see if the Bobcats can win. My opinion is the Big Sky Conference has shown considerable improvement in the last few years beyond one or two teams. I believe UM will need all of the firepower we can assemble next year to realize the goal of beating the Bobcats, winning the conference and the NC. If indeed, that is the goal?
Why are you posting this, be a man, live up to your post. You first said the Griz need a bigger/stronger/faster running back. When it was pointed out that we have a running back who broke Chase Reynolds records for TD's, you called him a journeyman. When you were called on this nonsense you accused the Griz fans who disagreed with you of being "Democats", that's not a relevant to a football discussion. Now you are trying to re-engage in a football discussion, while hiding from your first post. Explain what Marcus Knight could have done better this season or explain where these NFL caliber upgrades are hiding.

If Humphrey can be replaced by a Juco transfer with no time in the offense, the Griz are in trouble.

I think the Griz are fine with who's already on the roster. The O line recruits this week were mostly guys who need to put on 40 to 60 pounds. You don't recruit a guy like that unless you have time to build him up.. the incoming QBs have no FCS or FBS experience, probably an indicator they will be given time to develop, too.

griz4life said:
If Humphrey can be replaced by a Juco transfer with no time in the offense, the Griz are in trouble.
It could also mean that the JUCO transfer is an undeniable star, because Humphrey is damn good and the HC highly values his time in the system.

SaskGriz said:
Spanky2 said:
Why are you posting this, be a man, live up to your post. You first said the Griz need a bigger/stronger/faster running back. When it was pointed out that we have a running back who broke Chase Reynolds records for TD's, you called him a journeyman. When you were called on this nonsense you accused the Griz fans who disagreed with you of being "Democats", that's not a relevant to a football discussion. Now you are trying to re-engage in a football discussion, while hiding from your first post. Explain what Marcus Knight could have done better this season or explain where these NFL caliber upgrades are hiding.
I said they are Democrats because they (and) you turn my posts around to serve their meaning and that is dishonest. My original post stated we need two tackle transfers and a big, fast running back. I also said that Knight is a good journeyman running back. Look up the meaning of good and journeyman in Webster’s. I stand by my post.

Sask, now it is your turn to be a man: allow me to pose a question: Knight and a Lex Hilliard clone are both running backs on the same team. Who is the starter? I rest my case.

Right there with you on the need for o-linemen, because running backs can’t consistently block for themselves and gain yards simultaneously. This season Knight & Ostmo ran behind some guys who started as linebackers, quarterbacks, & walk-ons. If they felt they could have used a battering ram they had Janacaro on the bench.

Lex ran behind one of the top 3 O-ine groups to have played @ Montana since they invented the game. & everyone in that RB room, save for a Schmidt & Reynolds were built just like him. By the way, Ostmo is about 5 lbs lighter than lex at this point in his career. Nothing says he doesn’t continue to grow into his frame.

Would you take state ag’s productivity in running? They have one guy over 210 on the roster @ running back. Anderson ran out of the QB spot & he’s been hurt all season. The reason they were successful is that the backs had an O-line to do the blocking.

There are two guys in the top 20 FCS rushers this season they even approach Hilliards weight @ Montana.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/leaders.asp?cat=2&lg=999

Most of them are in the 6’, 200lb category.

Janacaro is the only big back Bobby & Justin (bigger than Lex) has recruited in three recruiting seasons & he was a QB in HS. Does that tell you anything? Tells me that Bobbyball has evolved & the griz feel that they are just fine @ running back.

griz4life said:

I think the Griz are fine with who's already on the roster. The O line recruits this week were mostly guys who need to put on 40 to 60 pounds. You don't recruit a guy like that unless you have time to build him up.. the incoming QBs have no FCS or FBS experience, probably an indicator they will be given time to develop, too.

Our freshman all American got replaced by a JUCO transfer and it worked out pretty well.

Spanky2 said:
Sask, now it is your turn to be a man: allow me to pose a question: Knight and a Lex Hilliard clone are both running backs on the same team. Who is the starter? I rest my case.
I don't take turns being a man, not as fluid as some I suppose. Your question leads me back to my old Scotish grandpa "If everything wasn't the way it was it would all be different." Since we are cloning people in your question; right back at you; which would you rather have a Lex Hilliard clone or a Barry Sanders/Earl Campbell/ Eric Dickerson hybrid?

I don't need to Webster's journeyman, in sports it means useful but expendable. Think Ryan Fitzpatrick in the NFL or Mike Sillinger in the NHL (good Regina boy!). Marcus Knight will leave the U as an all time great, he's in no way a journeyman.

Sometimes I forget that they pronounce Regina the way they do. My wife has an extended family member named Phuc. I once had an e-mail exchange with a Bill Kuntz.

This has been “Three Facts with CDA”.

grizatwork said:
mtgriz said:
kyle_sample said:
reinell30 said:
When I hear that Cam isn't a mobile scrambler like Sneed is I think. Remember John Edwards, Andrew Selle? They weren't to fleet a foot either but we won. Cam will be just fine!...

John Edwards was a pretty good runner

Jumpstarted a dormant Griz offense with a clutch third down conversion scramble out of his own end zone in the Furman championship game.

I was there. When he got that first down, I felt we were going to win it. I do believe that drive ended in a touchdown?

Yep, 16 plays, 99 yard TD drive.

CDAGRIZ said:
Sometimes I forget that they pronounce Regina the way they do. My wife has an extended family member named Phuc. I once had an e-mail exchange with a Bill Kuntz.

This has been “Three Facts with CDA”.
To quote Mick Jagger when the Stones were here "It's the city that rhymes with fun."

BDizzle said:
griz4life said:

Our freshman all American got replaced by a JUCO transfer and it worked out pretty well.

6-5 is working out well?

Spanky2 said:
Gentlemen, Gentlemen, I didn’t suggest replacing Knight. I said a back like Lex in addition to Knight. I also said that a Lex type back isn’t often available. Many of you want to beat the Bobcats, win the Big Sky and the NC. It seems to me that we need to recruit the best possible talent if we are going to meet those objectives. At least I got your attention even if you are a bunch of Democrats. Kem, I do love the game of tennis.

Are you suggesting that the Griz are not trying to recruit the best possible talent, or just have not been able to yet?

Spanky2 said:

Your comments bring up a question that I know someone has an answer for. When was the last time we had a sophomore rush for over 1,000 yards?

Back