• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Worst year in recent memory for the 3 major sports

griz5700 said:
Some thoughts (simple minds do not read or reply):

1. Football - It's simple here. Win (in a big way) or the Griz find a new coach.
3-5 in BSC play is unacceptable.

Ppl saying "he needs to get his recruits in" doesn't excuse 3-5.
Not at Montana.

It's not like this staff took over Northern Colorado with the expectations to be Montana. They took over a fairly talented Montana team, that expects Montana success.
Players this staff inherited include: Henderson, Jones, Horner, Nguyen, Gustafson, Crittenden, Holmes, Kidder, Ralston, Gamboa, Van Ackeran, Kose, Strahm, Schye, Nelson, Harris, Sandry.
No excuses.

I get the feeling an unhealthy percentage of Stitt's players despise him or don't respect him. That's a concern. The way this team unraveled as the season went on is a reflection of this staff. That's a fact.

If Stitt doesn't deliver, well... Stitt Happens. I'm skeptical, but also hopeful.

2. Men's BBall - recruit some size. Fab won't cut it in the post. TD was a great hire. He's a Tacoma/Seattle product who can recruit that rich-with-talent area. I love his guards, especially Oguine, Rorie, Pridgett. And Samuelson was a pleasant surprise this season.

Also excited about Donovan Dorsey and Alphonso Anderson in 17-18.

This team just needs a beast inside. I know that's a super hard position to recruit at this level, but if he finds it, damn, this is a dangerous team.

3. Lady Griz and Schweyen (gawd that's an awkward name to say and type)

GET OUT (WEST) AND RECRUIT

Shit, they could recruit such better talent than they currently do. This was a big gripe with many about Selvig - he always stuck to Montana girls who looked good at his camps. I don't know if this was just wanting to stay home with the kiddos and not recruit or if he really believed he could win with Montana girls. He did that, but always got smoked in the NCAA's. He could have made a sweet sixteen run or two if he just recruited California half heartedly.

A part of me was hoping Shannon would turn down the job and focus on family or something, because some fresh blood was exactly what this program needed. But now we have another staff content with recruiting only between Missoula and Miles City. I'm skeptical that this staff can coach MT girls up like Selvig, but that's their gamble.

This program, with its ridiculously loyal fans could recruit much better athletes. How about a little diversity? Let's start there.

5. Softball - A shutdown pitcher and babes who can hit the ball. That's all I ask. I believe in you, Coach Pinkerton.

6. Kent - Every time I hear him on the radio he has this smug attitude about the high expectations of Montana fans. It's like Ford complaining about jerks who continually buy the F-150. It's stupid. Don't complain about your customer$.
I don't know if he has gotten too close to Brint or what. But that shit is annoying.
EMBRACE HIGH EXPECTATIONS. 26K in Wa-Griz is good $.
Other than that, I like him and think he does a good job.

:clap: :thumb:

Spanky said:
Helena....of course, none of us want to see our teams do poorly. As a grad of UM and longtime fervent fan, I have more concerns about the football program than I've had than over 30 years.
I consider it fair to frankly express those concerns and really believe I have the right to do so.
Further, I do have considerable background and experience in another sport on a national basis which gives me insight to express a particular opinion from time to time. I don't appreciate being criticized by sugar coaters by so doing.

Spanky, I get the point about sugar coaters, but on the same note, shouldn't we say the same about the sourpuss posters?

HelenaHandBasket said:
5700, I laughed what you noted Gus in the list of fairly talented players.

Pretty sure I asked simple minds not to read or reply?

But ok...

Stitt's starting QB (and it wasn't even close) for the last 2 years was Brady Gustafson. Who Stitt did not recruit.

If not Gustafson, than who?
Guess what? It could have been a lot worse if that shitty Gustafson guy wasn't around. That's something you simple minds can't answer. If not Brady, who??

But simple minds see an incomplete pass and think, geez...this QB sucks.

Totally oblivious to the whole picture.

Somebody has to clean toilets. I get it.

griz5700 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

But ok...

Stitt's starting QB (and it wasn't even close) for the last 2 years was Brady Gustafson. Who Stitt did not recruit.

Guess what? It could have been a lot worse if that shitty Gustafson guy wasn't around. That's something you simple minds can't answer. If not Brady, who??

Seems I didn't say there was a better option the past 2 years, but that doesn't mean he was a good option.

Spanky said:
Helena, does sourpuss mean the same as honest in your view?

I guess that is a matter of perspective. I am sure many of the so-called sugar coaters think that there perspective is honest. But even so, does that give them a pass on criticism or differing opinions?

HelenaHandBasket said:
griz5700 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

But ok...

Seems I didn't say there was a better option the past 2 years, but that doesn't mean he was a good option.

Weak simple minded answer.

Why didn't Stitt fix that then? He must not know what he is doing.

:roll:

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Spanky said:
Do some research. I think you are wrong.

You think Haslam has some trick plays up his sleeve he should be sharing???

I like your outside the box thinking!!!

I think he would attend the football meetings but hes generally too busy teaching molecular biology classes during the week I beleive.

Any play would be better than the Fly Sweep, look where that has got us.

griz5700 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
griz5700 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

But ok...

He was trying, but outside of throwing a true freshman into the fire, there were not many options. And don't give me the, he could have found a better dropdown, because just how many dropdowns really pan out? Sometimes a new coach just has to do the best with what he has, and that is what Stitt had to do at the QB position the last couple of years. Now we get to see his guy thrown into the fire.

HelenaHandBasket said:
griz5700 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
griz5700 said:

But ok...

He was trying, but outside of throwing a true freshman into the fire, there were not many options. And don't give me the, he could have found a better dropdown, because just how many dropdowns really pan out? Sometimes a new coach just has to do the best with what he has, and that is what Stitt had to do at the QB position the last couple of years. Now we get to see his guy thrown into the fire.

Pretty sure his highly touted HS QB recruit, who red shirted last year isn't being considered as a contender to start in 2017.

But why expect Jensen to play before his senior year?

It's just how college football works - It's not Stitt's fault....

griz5700 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
griz5700 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Pretty sure his highly touted HS QB recruit, who red shirted last year isn't being considered as a contender to start in 2017.

Seems I didn't say that he would the guy in my post, but no matter who is, it will be a Stitt recruit. I also will say that I am still not sold that Stitt will be the guy. I think that the Griz will be better in 2 years than they will be next season. I want to compare the 2017 Griz season to the season that the Griz basketball team just finished, as I see them as being better next year.

Helena, it seems you are saying the answer for Griz success is when Stitt finds the QB that can run his Blitzkrieg Offense which will run over our opponents. Does he plan to have a Defense? What about Special Teams?
I would think Kent Haslam may want answers to these questions as it will take more than a QB to have a successful season.
Do you think we can beat the Bobcats or will that take another year for the QB to learn the Stitt system?

Spanky said:
Helena, it seems you are saying the answer for Griz success is when Stitt finds the QB that can run his Blitzkrieg Offense which will run over our opponents. Does he plan to have a Defense? What about Special Teams?
I would think Kent Haslam may want answers to these questions as it will take more than a QB to have a successful season.
Do you think we can beat the Bobcats or will that take another year for the QB to learn the Stitt system?

Funny, I don't think that is what I said at all.

griz5700 said:

1. Football - It's simple here. Win (in a big way) or the Griz find a new coach.

Not at Montana.

It's not like this staff took over Northern Colorado with the expectations to be Montana. They took over a fairly talented Montana team, that expects Montana success.
Players this staff inherited include: Henderson, Jones, Horner, Nguyen, Gustafson, Crittenden, Holmes, Kidder, Ralston, Gamboa, Van Ackeran, Kose, Strahm, Schye, Nelson, Harris, Sandry.
No excuses.

And every one of those players performed superbly and up to Griz expectations. Unfortunately he also inherited what has been widely acknowledged here as the worst collective group of offensive linemen in recent memory, thanks mostly to Lurch's strange recruiting theories. That, in and of itself, is probably the one thing most directly responsible for the recent record...

AZGrizFan said:
griz5700 said:

Not at Montana.

No excuses.

And every one of those players performed superbly and up to Griz expectations. Unfortunately he also inherited what has been widely acknowledged here as the worst collective group of offensive linemen in recent memory, thanks mostly to Lurch's strange recruiting theories. That, in and of itself, is probably the one thing most directly responsible for the recent record...

chance-there-is.gif

I'm not holding my breath.

griz5700 said:

Not at Montana.

No excuses.

I get the feeling an unhealthy percentage of Stitt's players despise him or don't respect him. That's a concern. The way this team unraveled as the season went on is a reflection of this staff. That's a fact.

If Stitt doesn't deliver, well... Stitt Happens. I'm skeptical, but also hopeful.

I agree that the staff inherited decent talent. I also agree that 3-5 is not acceptable.

I do agree with AZ in that the OL play has stifled the production of the offense more than anything. That was the fault of the previous staff in grossly under-recruiting that position. I don't care what sort of offense you run, you will not contend for championships without a solid OL.

IF the OL play improves, the QB can be serviceable, and the WR depth is more consistent, we should see significant progress by the offense next year. I'm also hopeful that Semore has a better year this next year and that the D is much more consistent. Lots of question marks. Both optimistic and pessimistic view points can be made on those. I tend to look at it more positively because it isn't unordinary for programs to take a step back before they take those stride forward. We will see though...

I'm not an insider, but from what I've hear is that most of the players in the program are on board and are putting in work this off season.

I think this team needs to make the playoffs next year and then show steady progress over the next few years for Stitt to keep his job. I personally and objectively think that the team will get it done. Just my opinion.

AZGrizFan said:
griz5700 said:

Not at Montana.

No excuses.

Haven't heard this particular reference before. Please expand on his "strange" recruiting theories.

Thank you

Latest posts

Back