• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Worst year in recent memory for the 3 major sports

EverettGriz said:
What the prior recent year when the 3 major sports had worse years in the same year? Or, how many decades ago was that?

:lol: :lol:

a necessary quote for the armory of anyone greenie accuses of lacking the ability to read and/or write...

UNDfan said:
If I was calling the shots, would have the Griz, Cats, Spuds and EWU join us in the Slummit and evict W Illinois and the IUPU'schools. Make the bball tournament in Billings just to satisfy you slugs. Then you'don't finally get a conference upgrade after twenty years of languishing in the substandard Big Sky. Had no idea that the slugs on the bottom of this conference were so bad. But maybe you deserve them, so you have a chance to win?

I would take you up on that. It would be a great conference for many reasons.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
footballdood said:
So... that gives UND one championship in volleyball (via the tournament) and two pending results in basketball. And a championship* in football that doesn't really count.
If it were UM you would count it.

Yep. Anybody that denies that is just kidding themselves. Hell we crowed about "13 consecutive BSC football championships" on here for years....

I think the biggest difference between our "13 consecutive BSC championships", co-championships or straight-up, and co-championships today is that when we won those 13, we played everyone in the conference. Today, you can be a champion/co-champion without playing everyone.

Helena....well, I've been around now for 58 years which was when I became a student at UM. Maybe, before you were born? I don't know if you went to UM, but many on the board didn't. Some are Bobcat fans, some are dual fans. Our football program was bad in those days until the Jack Swarthout coached teams. I don't want to see our footballl program slip to become a conference cellar dweller and hear Poor Grizzlies at the Griz/Cat game. We have been a quality program for many years now. Let's hope we continue.

argh! said:
EverettGriz said:
What the prior recent year when the 3 major sports had worse years in the same year? Or, how many decades ago was that?

:lol: :lol:

a necessary quote for the armory of anyone greenie accuses of lacking the ability to read and/or write...

Are you saying you don't understand the question? Or just picking at typos?

Better yet, why don't you answer the question, if you understand it.

PlayerRep said:
1. What was the prior recent year when the 3 major sports had worse years in the same year? Or, how many decades ago was that?

2. Can it be agreed that UND had a much better year in the 3 major sports than UM did?

Talk about head-in-the-sanders. Some of you are starting to post like some of the weak Bobcat posters.

I would guess 1978-79. Lady Griz was just beginning and was 13-13, men's team was 14-13. Gene Carlson was head football coach in 1978, and we were 5-6.

ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:
1. What was the prior recent year when the 3 major sports had worse years in the same year? Or, how many decades ago was that?

2. Can it be agreed that UND had a much better year in the 3 major sports than UM did?

Talk about head-in-the-sanders. Some of you are starting to post like some of the weak Bobcat posters.

I would guess 1978-79. Lady Griz was just beginning and was 13-13, men's team was 14-13. Gene Carlson was head football coach in 1978, and we were 5-6.

I believe the Basketball team was actually good in 1978-79. But they had to forfeit a bunch of games because of an ineligible player named Lee Johnson.

George Ferguson said:
Gametime said:
Disappointment is an understatement. For all the sugar coaters who constantly make excuses and hope that things will magically change, you're wrong. The 3 major UM sports teams have dropped into the middle to bottom of the pack. Lady Griz at least had significant injuries and a major coaching change. While I always have hope for the teams, I don't see much changing any time soon. Where is Haslam? Why is he immune from criticism? He has done literally nothing to change the culture in a positive direction. He is the most silent AD I can remember. He has no public presence either socially or in the media. I expect changes and action from him or he needs to go.

I actually hear Kent speak quite a bit. He talks both in public and to the media literally all the time. Does he bash his programs? No. If that's what you're looking for, you're going to be waiting a long, long time. If by changes, you mean Stitt and Travis being fired, grab a Snickers.

You ask where he is? He's in his office every day that he's in Missoula. Here's his email and phone number. [email protected], 243-5348. If you feel so strongly about this stuff, then get off Egriz, attach your name to an e-mail or phone call and tell him.
It's appropriate that you mention a "Snickers," being one of the major f'n sugar coaters on this board... ace. We've been the sh!ts for a half decade now. How about trying a neutral stance just for the sake of culpability? I don't know what the AD is doing or not doing? However, his performance is quite measurable. He needs to grab another f'n gear... :egriz:

It'd be nice if ppl could actually talk about these type of things without getting so defensive about their beloved Griz.

I read other teams boards and they seem to embrace discussion. Not here.

It was a brutal year, we're all Griz -- discuss.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

griz5700 said:
It'd be nice if ppl could actually talk about these type of things without getting so defensive about their beloved Griz.

I read other teams boards and they seem to embrace discussion. Not here.

It was a brutal year, we're all Griz -- discuss.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone disagrees that it was a brutal year. I think many disagree with the OP because of these statements:

Gametime said:
For all the sugar coaters who constantly make excuses and hope that things will magically change, you're wrong

Gametime said:
Lady Griz at least had significant injuries and a major coaching change. While I always have hope for the teams, I don't see much changing any time soon.

I agree that the jury is still out for football, but I don't get the big worry about men's basketball. The women played there best ball the last 2-3 weeks, so I saw glimpses of good to come.

Gametime said:
ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:

I believe the Basketball team was actually good in 1978-79. But they had to forfeit a bunch of games because of an ineligible player named Lee Johnson.

Lee Johnson played his 15 games in 1976-77. They went 18-8, but record was changed to 8-18 because of his elgibility issues.

1978-79 was Mike Montgomery's first year, and the team was led by John Stroeder and Allan Nielsen both of whom averaged about 13 points a game. Blaine Taylor and Craig Zanon were also on that team.

Some thoughts (simple minds do not read or reply):

1. Football - It's simple here. Win (in a big way) or the Griz find a new coach.
3-5 in BSC play is unacceptable.

Ppl saying "he needs to get his recruits in" doesn't excuse 3-5.
Not at Montana.

It's not like this staff took over Northern Colorado with the expectations to be Montana. They took over a fairly talented Montana team, that expects Montana success.
Players this staff inherited include: Henderson, Jones, Horner, Nguyen, Gustafson, Crittenden, Holmes, Kidder, Ralston, Gamboa, Van Ackeran, Kose, Strahm, Schye, Nelson, Harris, Sandry.
No excuses.

I get the feeling an unhealthy percentage of Stitt's players despise him or don't respect him. That's a concern. The way this team unraveled as the season went on is a reflection of this staff. That's a fact.

If Stitt doesn't deliver, well... Stitt Happens. I'm skeptical, but also hopeful.

2. Men's BBall - recruit some size. Fab won't cut it in the post. TD was a great hire. He's a Tacoma/Seattle product who can recruit that rich-with-talent area. I love his guards, especially Oguine, Rorie, Pridgett. And Samuelson was a pleasant surprise this season.

Also excited about Donovan Dorsey and Alphonso Anderson in 17-18.

This team just needs a beast inside. I know that's a super hard position to recruit at this level, but if he finds it, damn, this is a dangerous team.

3. Lady Griz and Schweyen (gawd that's an awkward name to say and type)

GET OUT (WEST) AND RECRUIT

Shit, they could recruit such better talent than they currently do. This was a big gripe with many about Selvig - he always stuck to Montana girls who looked good at his camps. I don't know if this was just wanting to stay home with the kiddos and not recruit or if he really believed he could win with Montana girls. He did that, but always got smoked in the NCAA's. He could have made a sweet sixteen run or two if he just recruited California half heartedly.

A part of me was hoping Shannon would turn down the job and focus on family or something, because some fresh blood was exactly what this program needed. But now we have another staff content with recruiting only between Missoula and Miles City. I'm skeptical that this staff can coach MT girls up like Selvig, but that's their gamble.

This program, with its ridiculously loyal fans could recruit much better athletes. How about a little diversity? Let's start there.

5. Softball - A shutdown pitcher and babes who can hit the ball. That's all I ask. I believe in you, Coach Pinkerton.

6. Kent - Every time I hear him on the radio he has this smug attitude about the high expectations of Montana fans. It's like Ford complaining about jerks who continually buy the F-150. It's stupid. Don't complain about your customer$.
I don't know if he has gotten too close to Brint or what. But that shit is annoying.
EMBRACE HIGH EXPECTATIONS. 26K in Wa-Griz is good $.
Other than that, I like him and think he does a good job.

Helena....of course, none of us want to see our teams do poorly. As a grad of UM and longtime fervent fan, I have more concerns about the football program than I've had than over 30 years.
I consider it fair to frankly express those concerns and really believe I have the right to do so.
Further, I do have considerable background and experience in another sport on a national basis which gives me insight to express a particular opinion from time to time. I don't appreciate being criticized by sugar coaters by so doing.

Latest posts

Back