• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Worst year in recent memory for the 3 major sports

Gametime said:
Disappointment is an understatement. For all the sugar coaters who constantly make excuses and hope that things will magically change, you're wrong. The 3 major UM sports teams have dropped into the middle to bottom of the pack. Lady Griz at least had significant injuries and a major coaching change. While I always have hope for the teams, I don't see much changing any time soon. Where is Haslam? Why is he immune from criticism? He has done literally nothing to change the culture in a positive direction. He is the most silent AD I can remember. He has no public presence either socially or in the media. I expect changes and action from him or he needs to go.

Lol...this fucking guy

kyle_sample said:
Spanky said:
Regarding football, I do have serious concerns. I don't live in Missoula, so I'm not aware how involved Kent Haslam is on a day to day basis with the football program. Hopefully, his supervision is daily including practices and team meetings.

Why would you want the AD in team meetings? I doubt that happens anywhere in D1

Dear God, why would we ever want an AD supervising football operations? He's not a football coach, he's a bean counter. That's actually the definition of being a really poor manager.

Spanky said:
Do some research. I think you are wrong.

You think Haslam has some trick plays up his sleeve he should be sharing???

I like your outside the box thinking!!!

I think he would attend the football meetings but hes generally too busy teaching molecular biology classes during the week I beleive.

Haslam is the AD. The last I checked that would indicate he is in charge of all athletics at UM which would include football. Why wouldn't he attend some practices and a team meeting from time to time? We want to improve our program and even beat Northern Colorado and Montana State, don't we? AD oversight is important to our improvement.

Spanky said:
Do some research. I think you are wrong.

Searched for "AD's regularly attending team and position meetings" The following list of AD's or schools that do that showed up:

Spanky said:
Haslam is the AD. The last I checked that would indicate he is in charge of all athletics at UM which would include football. Why wouldn't he attend some practices and a team meeting from time to time? We want to improve our program and even beat Northern Colorado and Montana State, don't we? AD oversight is important to our improvement.

So you think O'day attended some QB meetings and thats why the Griz were good while he was there?

Hey people a thousand years ago thought a solar eclipse was end of world---happens.
Sit back and enjoy the ride. :mrgreen:

Spanky said:
Regarding football, I do have serious concerns. I don't live in Missoula, so I'm not aware how involved Kent Haslam is on a day to day basis with the football program. Hopefully, his supervision is daily including practices and team meetings.
Kent is putting all kinds of pressure on Stitt, but it's driven more by booster feedback than his visiting team meetings. Most boosters are not in love with Stitt; a very good year is going to be required to get them on board with his retention. Don't underestimate how important they (and their $) are to the program; KH certainly doesn't.

I can't think of a worse blow to UM athletics than KH leaving.

I can't speak to basketball. But as far as football goes I can't understand the criticism of the staff.
This staff isn't even coaching there team yet. They have had two recruiting classes until this year. The oldest of which were rs freshman last season. College Coaches recruit players that fit their systems. This isn't high school where you get what you get and you have to adapt a system to the players.
In college a new incoming staff isn't going to instill a system to fit players they inherit. If they did that they would have to start all over again in years 3 and 4 to fit their recruits.
They are doing it the right way. Thia is the right way to do. You suffer for a couple of years and by the time their recruits are ready to contribute significantly they know the systems like the back of their hand.

Well with UND winning all four revenue championships in the Big Sky, something that has never been accomplished, the Griz have to be a new bottom feeder. VB is the fourth, something the Griz don't even recognize.

It's good that we are moving on out of the washed up Big Sky so that you can again dominate a league that most posters here call pathetic.

UNDfan said:
Well with UND winning all four revenue championships in the Big Sky, something that has never been accomplished, the Griz have to be a new bottom feeder. VB is the fourth, something the Griz don't even recognize.

It's good that we are moving on out of the washed up Big Sky so that you can again dominate a league that most posters here call pathetic.

Classy. Gosh, we'll sure miss North Dakota University!

Spanky said:
The AD is the boss of athletics. This is true, even at Wyoming.

I'm guessing Tom Burman doesn't offer a lot of advice to Craig Bohl or Allen Edwards on what they should be doing different.

UNDfan said:

Ok, see ya. Enjoy the conference that no other fan wants you in.

UNDfan said:

Actually, I would just call you pathetic.

HelenaHandBasket said:
UNDfan said:

Whats really pathetic is that we are a hockey school first, and those four other sports are just attempts to field teams, as the NCAA requires 14 sports. Incidentally, the fifth team sport is still reigning national champs and draws 250,000 a year.

Maybe you should try FCOA if you can afford it. We can't according to some, but we still do it.

UNDfan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
UNDfan said:

Whats really pathetic is that we are a hockey school first, and those four other sports are just attempts to field teams, as the NCAA requires 14 sports. Incidentally, the fifth team sport is still reigning national champs and draws 250,000 a year.

giphy.gif

Back