• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Worst year in recent memory for the 3 major sports

http://www.rgj.com/story/sports/2017/03/11/womens-basketball-montana-state-wins-tournament-berth-ncaa/99071500/

Could Ty Gregorak's "dominance" tweet have more substance than we thought?

sdk.catfish said:

I, for one, don't think so. The scats still suck. It just so happens that their coaching sucks slightly less than ours. Like 7 points less, to be exact.

Spanky said:
Helena....well, I've been around now for 58 years which was when I became a student at UM. Maybe, before you were born? I don't know if you went to UM, but many on the board didn't. Some are Bobcat fans, some are dual fans. Our football program was bad in those days until the Jack Swarthout coached teams. I don't want to see our footballl program slip to become a conference cellar dweller and hear Poor Grizzlies at the Griz/Cat game. We have been a quality program for many years now. Let's hope we continue.

As a fellow dinosaur, I think ones perspective on how good or bad Griz athletics have become depends greatly on how much history you have. There is a bell curve if you recall UM administrations of the 50's and into the 70's who would have eagerly downgraded an already moribund football program while basketball still drew crowds of 9,000 in a pre-upgrade Adams Fieldhouse. Thanks to President Bucklew football took off in 1986 with the Wa-Griz/Read combo for a two decades ride. Since then? Not so much. Too many egriz newbies have no benchmark to be able to appreciate the fact that UM, crippled by overstaying in a halfway house BSC, has failed to maintain the lost momentum when UM was the FCS gold standard - with the possibility of being considerably more :coffee:

spsyk said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Spanky said:
Do some research. I think you are wrong.

You think Haslam has some trick plays up his sleeve he should be sharing???

I like your outside the box thinking!!!

I think he would attend the football meetings but hes generally too busy teaching molecular biology classes during the week I beleive.

Any play would be better than the Fly Sweep, look where that has got us.

I think I may have seen that 5 times the last 2 years.

Fushiznitz said:
sdk.catfish said:

I, for one, don't think so. The scats still suck. It just so happens that their coaching sucks slightly less than ours. Like 7 points less, to be exact.

The cats had one decent year that they didnt get rolled by the Griz in every major sport.....good for them.

Lets see if they can sustain it for a decade.

Silvertip said:
Spanky said:
Helena....well, I've been around now for 58 years which was when I became a student at UM. Maybe, before you were born? I don't know if you went to UM, but many on the board didn't. Some are Bobcat fans, some are dual fans. Our football program was bad in those days until the Jack Swarthout coached teams. I don't want to see our footballl program slip to become a conference cellar dweller and hear Poor Grizzlies at the Griz/Cat game. We have been a quality program for many years now. Let's hope we continue.

As a fellow dinosaur, I think ones perspective on how good or bad Griz athletics have become depends greatly on how much history you have. There is a bell curve if you recall UM administrations of the 50's and into the 70's who would have eagerly downgraded an already moribund football program while basketball still drew crowds of 9,000 in a pre-upgrade Adams Fieldhouse. Thanks to President Bucklew football took off in 1986 with the Wa-Griz/Read combo for a two decades ride. Since then? Not so much. Too many egriz newbies have no benchmark to be able to appreciate the fact that UM, crippled by overstaying in a halfway house BSC, has failed to maintain the lost momentum when UM was the FCS gold standard - with the possibility of being considerably more :coffee:

Well said Tip. In part, basketball is what frustrates me the most. The atmosphere is horrible for basketball games. The fact that someone, i.e. Haslam, is too afraid to make a move and get the students involved in attending basketball games by moving them back along the sidelines tells me a lot about him. I went to a Gonzaga game this year, it's embarrassing but we are doing compared to them. Certainly I know they win a lot more and have a bigger program. But from taking that small tiny program and turning it into what it is and watching the students enjoy the game and the atmosphere they have created. I wish someone would just go to that one of their games and watch and learn and make the necessary changes to get some semblance of a good atmosphere back for basketball. Unfortunately there are many paralyze within the program don't have the balls to make a change.

Gametime said:
Silvertip said:
Spanky said:

Well said Tip. In part, basketball is what frustrates me the most. The atmosphere is horrible for basketball games. The fact that someone, i.e. Haslam, is too afraid to make a move and get the students involved in attending basketball games by moving them back along the sidelines tells me a lot about him. I went to a Gonzaga game this year, it's embarrassing but we are doing compared to them. Certainly I know they win a lot more and have a bigger program. But from taking that small tiny program and turning it into what it is and watching the students enjoy the game and the atmosphere they have created. I wish someone would just go to that one of their games and watch and learn and make the necessary changes to get some semblance of a good atmosphere back for basketball. Unfortunately there are many paralyze within the program don't have the balls to make a change.

Are Gonzaga students on the sidelines or in the "end zone"?

Football used to aim for National Championships. Big Sky championships were expected. Now they just aim for making the playoffs. The standards were higher. That starts at the top.

Gametime said:
Football used to aim for National Championships. Big Sky championships were expected. Now they just aim for making the playoffs. The standards were higher. That starts at the top.
:thumb:

Gametime said:
Silvertip said:
Spanky said:

The students are gone for a good portion of the season. What if they don't want to go to the game? Are these KH's fault too? :roll:

MrTitleist said:
To be fair... college basketball is unwatchable.

And the NBA is?...watching overpaid pros dog it thru an 82 game season has me wishing ticket prices were based on my showing up for the fourth quarter when there's something finally happening worth watching. For the better part of a 30 game college season almost every game is crucial and the kids play like it - for a full 40 minutes.

Silvertip said:
MrTitleist said:

And the NBA is?...watching overpaid pros dog it thru an 82 game season has me wishing ticket prices were based on my showing up for the fourth quarter when there's something finally happening worth watching. For the better part of a 30 game college season almost every game is crucial and the kids play like it - for a full 40 minutes.

My problem is more with college basketball officiating.. I don't go watch games to watch the striped shirt clown show for 40 minutes. There's nothing enjoyable about hearing the whistle blow 60 times.

Our three major sport teams have gone as low as they are going to go! Nothing but positive and winning from now on. There will be losses, but no more cellar dwellers. This football team will contend this season, the mens B-Ball team will win the Big Sky and the tournament and receive a 12 seed in the NCAA tournament, and the lady Griz will challenge for the title as well!
We are Griz Nation, we will succeed!
Kent Haslam is a great guy and he is very involved, to say he isn't, I don't get it.
Travis D. knows where his program is headed and has his plan of action to get it there is right on track.
Kate is going into her second year in Robins shoes, the injuries to her team will not be there next season. She can coach!
Bob S. has his players, they will perform. Griz nation will see an offense like we have not seen before this season!
Nothing but positive and full steam ahead!

Go Griz!

Silvertip said:
MrTitleist said:

How do you think all those morons feel who paid $200 for nosebleed seats for the Spurs/Warriors game Saturday night, only to find out 7 of the 10 starters weren't playing? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

THAT'S the shit that keeps me from getting invested in the NBA.

reinell30 said:
Our three major sport teams have gone as low as they are going to go! Nothing but positive and winning from now on. There will be losses, but no more cellar dwellers. This football team will contend this season, the mens B-Ball team will win the Big Sky and the tournament and receive a 12 seed in the NCAA tournament, and the lady Griz will challenge for the title as well!
We are Griz Nation, we will succeed!
Kent Haslam is a great guy and he is very involved, to say he isn't, I don't get it.
Travis D. knows where his program is headed and has his plan of action to get it there is right on track.
Kate is going into her second year in Robins shoes, the injuries to her team will not be there next season. She can coach!
Bob S. has his players, they will perform. Griz nation will see an offense like we have not seen before this season!
Nothing but positive and full steam ahead!

Go Griz!
I love your optimism and I certainly hope you are correct.

Back