• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Winter Conditioning Starts on Tuesday

Hello,
Long time reader, recent former player, first time poster. If anybody here is on social media, then you know who I am by my username.
I just wanted to give a players perspective on some things so that we all could see what it’s like.
While I can’t speak for other programs, I can speak for this one and say that our winter conditioning program is one of the hardest single workouts I have ever been a part of that didn’t involve pads.
Every Tuesday and Thursday in February, I was up at 4:30am, on campus by 5, and on the floor ready to warm up by 5:30. God help you if you aren’t super early to everything we do.
The whole thing is only about an hour, but it feels like 3. Every single second is accounted for, and the only time you aren’t actively doing some kind of conditioning drill is when you’re waiting your turn to go again. You use that precious time to catch your breath, but it’s never more than 30 seconds at a time. They do indeed spread puke buckets out, because throwing up is common, and someone passes out at least once a year.
Pretty much every drill has to do with conditioning as well as being able to take direction and stay mentally sharp while you’re fighting for your life. E.g. jumping onto a mat and chopping your feet while a coach uses his hands to point where he wants you to roll, but he’ll also do head fakes in the other direction and stuff to try and get you to screw up. Anyone who has done that drill in winter condo knows exactly what it means to “watch the hands”. And if anyone in your group even begins to roll the wrong way, you’ll still finish the drill, but you go right back to the front of the line the whole group will go again.
They want the weak guys to quit, and anyone who survives is worthy to move on to spring ball, but the workouts themselves are brutal. When I would make my class schedule for the semester, I would intentionally make sure I had no classes on winter condo days because I had exactly enough strength to drive home and fall into bed and sleep all day.

I’m going into this in such detail because there seems to be some laughable opinions on the way things are internally done around here. I’m not naming names because I don’t know most of them, but just know these facts from someone who has actually been there and done it. Bobby Hauck is the best possible coach for this program. He is invested in his players and is the guy to develop them as football players and as respectable members of the community. He knows how to coach, and he knows who he’s coaching. It’s so much more than a coach-player dynamic, I don’t even play for him anymore and still talk to him regularly. He is a true friend, and has the utmost respect of his players, the university, and Griz Nation.
“Then why’d we finish sixth in the conference last year??”
“Couldn’t run the ball worth a damn”
“What about the arrests during his first stint?”
“This, that, and the other thing?”

Put your helmet on and go color, because I assure you there’s so much more to it than that. I have tremendous respect for so many of the moderators here and the way they run things. I think there should be a lot more Brint Wahlbergs in college sports, but it needs to be understood, again, from a players perspective, that these are kids playing a sport. Most of which are in a new environment and all we know how to do is play football. I’m not saying we’re not supposed to be criticized, but I’ve seen some horrible things said about players like Kris Brown cause he doesn’t throw a football like some people like. It’s ridiculous.

Thank you Bfg76 for posting. The sacrifices that players and coaches make are taken for granted by many on here. That in my opinion is unfortunate. I am a Grizzly fan in every respect win or lose and are thankful for every athlete that chooses to be a Grizzly. Am I disappointed if we don’t win all the time? Yes! But I am realistic enough to realize we can’t be on top all of the time. We will have mountains and valleys. I hope to have more mountain tops and know we will in the future.

Everyone should be entitled to express their opinions without attacking others holding different opinions. Unfortunately that is not the characteristic of these sites.

Bfg76 said:
Hello,
Long time reader, recent former player, first time poster. If anybody here is on social media, then you know who I am by my username.
I just wanted to give a players perspective on some things so that we all could see what it’s like.
While I can’t speak for other programs, I can speak for this one and say that our winter conditioning program is one of the hardest single workouts I have ever been a part of that didn’t involve pads.
Every Tuesday and Thursday in February, I was up at 4:30am, on campus by 5, and on the floor ready to warm up by 5:30. God help you if you aren’t super early to everything we do.
The whole thing is only about an hour, but it feels like 3. Every single second is accounted for, and the only time you aren’t actively doing some kind of conditioning drill is when you’re waiting your turn to go again. You use that precious time to catch your breath, but it’s never more than 30 seconds at a time. They do indeed spread puke buckets out, because throwing up is common, and someone passes out at least once a year.
Pretty much every drill has to do with conditioning as well as being able to take direction and stay mentally sharp while you’re fighting for your life. E.g. jumping onto a mat and chopping your feet while a coach uses his hands to point where he wants you to roll, but he’ll also do head fakes in the other direction and stuff to try and get you to screw up. Anyone who has done that drill in winter condo knows exactly what it means to “watch the hands”. And if anyone in your group even begins to roll the wrong way, you’ll still finish the drill, but you go right back to the front of the line the whole group will go again.
They want the weak guys to quit, and anyone who survives is worthy to move on to spring ball, but the workouts themselves are brutal. When I would make my class schedule for the semester, I would intentionally make sure I had no classes on winter condo days because I had exactly enough strength to drive home and fall into bed and sleep all day.

I’m going into this in such detail because there seems to be some laughable opinions on the way things are internally done around here. I’m not naming names because I don’t know most of them, but just know these facts from someone who has actually been there and done it. Bobby Hauck is the best possible coach for this program. He is invested in his players and is the guy to develop them as football players and as respectable members of the community. He knows how to coach, and he knows who he’s coaching. It’s so much more than a coach-player dynamic, I don’t even play for him anymore and still talk to him regularly. He is a true friend, and has the utmost respect of his players, the university, and Griz Nation.

Put your helmet on and go color, because I assure you there’s so much more to it than that. I have tremendous respect for so many of the moderators here and the way they run things. I think there should be a lot more Brint Wahlbergs in college sports, but it needs to be understood, again, from a players perspective, that these are kids playing a sport. Most of which are in a new environment and all we know how to do is play football. I’m not saying we’re not supposed to be criticized, but I’ve seen some horrible things said about players like Kris Brown cause he doesn’t throw a football like some people like. It’s ridiculous.

I have been perhaps the most critical poster regarding Kris Brown of anyone on here. It took me a long time to realize my anger and disappointment was misplaced, and that my ire should be directed at the coaching staff and not the player out there busting his ass. And I’m not even saying the coaches aren’t “doing their best” but sometimes you gotta just recognize that their best isn’t going to be good enough. THEIR job is to develop the players to the best of their abilities, and recognize which players give the team the best chance on any given Saturday. I’m just not certain Bobby and crew did that in 2022.

Let’s see if they learned anything for 2023’s season.

AZGrizFan said:
Bfg76 said:
Hello,

I have been perhaps the most critical poster regarding Kris Brown of anyone on here. It took me a long time to realize my anger and disappointment was misplaced, and that my ire should be directed at the coaching staff and not the player out there busting his ass. And I’m not even saying the coaches aren’t “doing their best” but sometimes you gotta just recognize that their best isn’t going to be good enough. THEIR job is to develop the players to the best of their abilities, and recognize which players give the team the best chance on any given Saturday. I’m just not certain Bobby and crew did that in 2022.

Let’s see if they learned anything for 2023’s season.

You are the one who needs to learn more. Not the coaches.

Bfg76 said:
Hello,

Sammy Sosa home run. Thank you for saying it.

Bfg76 said:
Hello,

Good post. Thanks.

I understand is was hyperbole, but at no time...not one...were you ever "fighting for your life" during winter conditioning.

SoldierGriz said:
Bfg76 said:
Hello,

Good post. Thanks.

I understand is was hyperbole, but at no time...not one...were you ever "fighting for your life" during winter conditioning.

Since you felt you had to say this, then you don’t really understand it’s hyperbole.

alabamagrizzly said:
SoldierGriz said:
Good post. Thanks.

Since you felt you had to say this, then you don’t really understand it’s hyperbole.

You are dense. I posted a fact. I don't know if it's hyperbole or not. He might have actually thought he was "fighting for his life," in gym class.

I am 100% certain he was not.

SoldierGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:

You are dense. I posted a fact. I don't know if it's hyperbole or not. He might have actually thought he was "fighting for his life," in gym class.

You’re posting like a senile old man. You just contradicted yourself from one post to the next. And you’re calling me dense😂?

In the first post you say you know it’s hyperbole and then in your second post you say you don’t know. And where’s the facts? He was stating an exaggerated opinion and you decided to be offended by that. I’m guessing you’ve been in several fire fights and know exactly what it’s like to fight for life in a non-exaggerated way and I thank and commend you for that but lighten up Francis.

Bfg76 said:
Hello,

Excellent! Thank You!

Bfg76 said:
Hello,

Terrific and informative post. Thanks for taking the time. Keep ‘em coming.

alabamagrizzly said:
SoldierGriz said:

You’re posting like a senile old man. You just contradicted yourself from one post to the next. And you’re calling me dense😂?

In the first post you say you know it’s hyperbole and then in your second post you say you don’t know. And where’s the facts? He was stating an exaggerated opinion and you decided to be offended by that. I’m guessing you’ve been in several fire fights and know exactly what it’s like to fight for life in a non-exaggerated way and I thank and commend you for that but lighten up Francis.

Desk clerks don’t have to fight for their lives.

76 sums it up for me too. Beers on me if we ever meet.

“ Bobby Hauck is the best possible coach for this program. He is invested in his players and is the guy to develop them as football players and as respectable members of the community. He knows how to coach, and he knows who he’s coaching. It’s so much more than a coach-player dynamic, I don’t even play for him anymore and still talk to him regularly. He is a true friend, and has the utmost respect of his players, the university, and Griz Nation.”

Bfg76 said:
Hello,

BFG76, nice perspectives. I'm glad BH is a friend to some players. Other teammates of yours, including all-conference players have not spoken kindly of him. I'm curious why you think they view him differently.

uptopgriz said:
Bfg76 said:
Hello,

BFG76, nice perspectives. I'm glad BH is a friend to some players. Other teammates of yours, including all-conference players have not spoken kindly of him. I'm curious why you think they view him differently.

Uptop, you are a known liar. Let me guess. Your many sons were roommates with Griz all-conference players?

mthoopsfan said:
uptopgriz said:

Uptop, you are a known liar. Let me guess. Your many sons were roommates with Griz all-conference players?

Nope, but his first roommate is an orthopedic surgeon that does many of the Griz players surgeries. And Hoops, you are the liar here. Did like that BH fired Rosey and isn't even letting him near the players next year? I thought you said there weren't going to be any coaching changes and that the qbs were getting great coaching.

uptopgriz said:
Bfg76 said:
Hello,

Bfg-uptop is the biggest douche on here, don't even bother engaging with him, he's not worth it. Also, thanks!

GoldStandardGriz said:
uptopgriz said:
Bfg-uptop is the biggest douche on here, don't even bother engaging with him, he's not worth it. Also, thanks!

I enjoy engaging with him. Problem is his mom always grounds him for the computer for a couple weeks so he’s always disappearing on us.

Latest posts

Back