• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Who's with me?

Apparently the virus took the weekend off. Lowest back/back deaths reported since March 22/23.

Just wait two weeks, though. AmIrite???

AZGrizFan said:
Apparently the virus took the weekend off. Lowest back/back deaths reported since March 22/23.

Or maybe the next two weeks. Or the two weeks after that. Or................ :D

MikeyGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Or maybe the next two weeks. Or the two weeks after that. Or................ :D

This virus is a goddamned medical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere! :D

Da Boyz Mom said:
EverettGriz said:
By choosing two static points? Wow. Just....wow.

Congratulations! You found numbers to make your argument valid!

Note that daily percentages of deaths will ALWAYS be skewed, because NYC added nearly 4000 in one day. If If you're not using some form of moving average, you're either math illiterate, or trying really, really hard to make numbers fit your narrative. I'm guessing the second?

Isn't math great?!

Not that I want to get in the middle of this pissing match, BUT even when you use a trailing 7 day average, the average daily deaths have still fallen about 77% since the peak. I used data from this website :
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1111867/trailing-seven-day-average-number-of-covid-19-deaths-select-countries-worldwide/

The peak (7 day average) daily death rate was 2715 on April 22. The most recent day shown on this website was July 3, at 618 deaths (again, the 7 day average). So even though a 77% decrease in daily deaths is not 90%, I would say it's statistically significant.

Also, this pattern of decreasing mortality is happening around the world - not just in the US. There are a myriad of reasons this could be the case, but it's pretty obvious that in general it's becoming far less deadly and even a huge spike in new cases isn't changing that. You can see the graph here:
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-deaths-per-million-7-day-average

Agreed. And my original post said that deaths were "down markedly" but not 90%. And then as you suggest, a few posters turned it into a pissing contest. Which, regrettably, is what this politics-used-to-be-sports board is all about now.

Has anyone else been in an actual pissing match? I'm not talking distance like a damned Mountain Dew chugging EWU fan; I'm talking duration--The Gentleman's Game.

Personally, I think I'm 32-6-3 on my career. The six losses and two of the ties were at the bladder of this dude, Leonard Hayes. People used to call him 'The Camel'. He was the G.O.A.T. until an enlarged prostate forced his early retirement. Cut him down in his prime.

EverettGriz said:
Da Boyz Mom said:
Not that I want to get in the middle of this pissing match, BUT even when you use a trailing 7 day average, the average daily deaths have still fallen about 77% since the peak. I used data from this website :
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1111867/trailing-seven-day-average-number-of-covid-19-deaths-select-countries-worldwide/

The peak (7 day average) daily death rate was 2715 on April 22. The most recent day shown on this website was July 3, at 618 deaths (again, the 7 day average). So even though a 77% decrease in daily deaths is not 90%, I would say it's statistically significant.

Also, this pattern of decreasing mortality is happening around the world - not just in the US. There are a myriad of reasons this could be the case, but it's pretty obvious that in general it's becoming far less deadly and even a huge spike in new cases isn't changing that. You can see the graph here:
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-deaths-per-million-7-day-average

Agreed. And my original post said that deaths were "down markedly" but not 90%. And then as you suggest, a few posters turned it into a pissing contest. Which, regrettably, is what this politics-used-to-be-sports board is all about now.

(but no where NEAR 90%).

That's what you said (emphasis is yours). :| :|

AZGrizFan said:
EverettGriz said:

(but no where NEAR 90%).

AZ, EG, you're both my homies. I don't like this. Let's do the real pissing match. AZ, you have to be good for at least a minute/minute 15. EG, with all those weird stews and roots they feed you at The Schick, I think you can match it. No matter the outcome, we shake, shake, sanitize, and shake like men.

kemajic said:
Grizzoola said:
As if you care, the US is now a pariah to the rest of the world, due to the # of infections, not deaths. Mexico closed a road from the US. (Spin that, too, re: the migrants.) The E.U. forbids American entry, now. Caribbean, South Pacific islands, etc., valued vacation, touring spots, still mostly closed to Americans. No. of infections is still key. The U.S. (Trump) has f###[#] up U.S. reputation as a world leader. Feel better?
I see little bad news in your list. Keep trying.
Your ignorance is showing.

CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:

AZ, EG, you're both my homies. I don't like this. Let's do the real pissing match. AZ, you have to be good for at least a minute/minute 15. EG, with all those weird stews and roots they feed you at The Schick, I think you can match it. No matter the outcome, we shake, shake, sanitize, and shake like men.

I agree with this. Could be fun.

CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:

If we’re talking about what I think we’re talking about, I’m no good for 1:15, but I’m good EVERY 1:15 hours....SMH FML.

grizindabox said:
For what its worth, hospitalizations drive the bus as deaths are a lagging indicator.

"As US coronavirus cases skyrocket, daily deaths are staying flat. The key is 'to keep the young people away from the old people,' one expert says."

"US coronavirus cases are surging in a majority of states. Most of these new cases are among young people.

However, the national number of daily deaths reported remains relatively flat.

Experts say increased testing and the rising number of young people getting sick are the primary explanations for that.

The trend could continue if young people engaging in riskier behavior stay away from older people who are more vulnerable, an expert says."

https://news.yahoo.com/us-coronavirus-cases-skyrocket-daily-175500230.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=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&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIyEDvtYvAHnebvnvXGMG47PCdu-_BzWsWhgHk-2vgFoYWTbWGV6YtAGQo0QQpRUb1eEQzof0yzxqubF1dXarGklyTpxUOtt_mQW8s4NNtjRYtf7oozq8_traTAOI0IwD6bAD4H72jKTmP6jz3a8Z41hOgsCLRd_PIUQvXGw2off

grizindabox said:
For what its worth, hospitalizations drive the bus as deaths are a lagging indicator.

"The U.S. saw 251 deaths on Sunday, according to the latest report Monday by Worldometer, which compiles data from sources including local health departments and Johns Hopkins University. This was the lowest daily death toll reported since March 24, when 269 deaths were recorded, according to Worldometer."

I know you want the death total to be higher, but sorry, it just isn't. It's been going down.

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

"The U.S. saw 251 deaths on Sunday, according to the latest report Monday by Worldometer, which compiles data from sources including local health departments and Johns Hopkins University. This was the lowest daily death toll reported since March 24, when 269 deaths were recorded, according to Worldometer."

I know you want the death total to be higher, but sorry, it just isn't. It's been going down.

You don't know shit. My point is that Hospitalizations are what direct policy, on the steps to combat Covid and that if deaths is the driving factor, then policy is being made too late. No one likes to see deaths increase, but it is not the number to watch if you want to bitch about steps being taken.

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:

You don't know shit. My point is that Hospitalizations are what direct policy, on the steps to combat Covid and that if deaths is the driving factor, then policy is being made too late. No one likes to see deaths increase, but it is not the number to watch if you want to bitch about steps being taken.

And almost without exception COVID-related hospital stays are being noted as shorter, with milder symptoms, fewer intubations, and ultimately fewer deaths when compared to late March, early April. Yes, some hospitals are running near “capacity”, but thats where they LIKE to run, given that empty beds don’t pay the bills. Plus, they have reinstituted non-COVID elective procedures that are taking up a good portion of the ICU beds as well....again, because empty beds don’t pay the bills. All the hysteria (not necessarily from you, Box) about “Erhmegerd! ICU’s are nearing capacity in some hot spots!” Is BY DESIGN.....the administrators are trying to make up for lost revenue from March, April and May when they had to freaking lay off staff because there were no patients.

Elective procedures being back is bittersweet. I had a vasectomy strategically scheduled for the Thursday morning of March Madness so I could watch 50+ hours of basketball without anyone questioning it. Obviously, none of that happened.

Now, although I can get the procedure, it seems like a waste. Also, does anyone know if they take your balls completely off? If so, do you get to keep them?

CDAGRIZ said:
Elective procedures being back is bittersweet. I had a vasectomy strategically scheduled for the Thursday morning of March Madness so I could watch 50+ hours of basketball without anyone questioning it. Obviously, none of that happened.

Now, although I can get the procedure, it seems like a waste. Also, does anyone know if they take your balls completely off? If so, do you get to keep them?

That is funny. I did the same thing a few years ago. Then would schedule my annual physical at 9:00 am on the Thursday tip off for a number of years.

AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:

And almost without exception COVID-related hospital stays are being noted as shorter, with milder symptoms, fewer intubations, and ultimately fewer deaths when compared to late March, early April. Yes, some hospitals are running near “capacity”, but thats where they LIKE to run, given that empty beds don’t pay the bills. Plus, they have reinstituted non-COVID elective procedures that are taking up a good portion of the ICU beds as well....again, because empty beds don’t pay the bills. All the hysteria (not necessarily from you, Box) about “Erhmegerd! ICU’s are nearing capacity in some hot spots!” Is BY DESIGN.....the administrators are trying to make up for lost revenue from March, April and May when they had to freaking lay off staff because there were no patients.

And to add, the national number isn't the number that people should dwell on, it is the numbers with smaller scopes, the states, counties, and cities. The virus is at different phases every where and the hot spots are the most important, especially without a National plan in place. The biggest thing going forward is if cases, hospitalizations, spike in new areas due to people that left an area because of steps taken because of the virus to another state, county, or city that currently is not taking the same precautions to have a great 4th of July holiday.

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:

Hey, we get it. New cases is the only one that fits your narrative.

Back