• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Who's with me?

ilovethecats said:
EverettGriz said:
You...you think people shouldn't be concerned with the death totals? Seems a rather important detail.

No EG, I think people should be MOST concerned with deaths. Like that's all that matters. But because the deaths are no where near what was predicted (thanks solely to the lockdown I know), then people need to hang their hats on why else this is so serious.

You say from the very beginning, the most important concern from everyone was overwhelming hospitals. While I disagree, I'll say that you are right on that. But then a ton of hospitals start closing departments and furloughing employees. Millions of dollars of equipment brought in went unused. So now, it appears in way more cases than not, it's not about overwhelming the hospitals either.

I don't disagree that there are likely a lot of spots in Florida right now maxing out their beds. Just like at a time they were in New York. Then New Orleans. And now Houston. You won't get an argument from me there.

You are misinterpreting. For people coordinating the response and looking to control the spread and the related deaths, the hospitalization number and the % of positive results are the numbers that they are concerned with for planning. Policy is initiated with this in mind. This was the entire point of flattening the curve. If you can't work to control those numbers, you have no chance to minimize death.

grizindabox said:
ilovethecats said:
No EG, I think people should be MOST concerned with deaths. Like that's all that matters. But because the deaths are no where near what was predicted (thanks solely to the lockdown I know), then people need to hang their hats on why else this is so serious.

You say from the very beginning, the most important concern from everyone was overwhelming hospitals. While I disagree, I'll say that you are right on that. But then a ton of hospitals start closing departments and furloughing employees. Millions of dollars of equipment brought in went unused. So now, it appears in way more cases than not, it's not about overwhelming the hospitals either.

I don't disagree that there are likely a lot of spots in Florida right now maxing out their beds. Just like at a time they were in New York. Then New Orleans. And now Houston. You won't get an argument from me there.

You are misinterpreting. For people coordinating the response and looking to control the spread and the related deaths, the hospitalization number and the % of positive results are the numbers that they are concerned with for planning. Policy is initiated with this in mind. This was the entire point of flattening the curve. If you can't work to control those numbers, you have no chance to minimize death.

Maybe they should send the USNS Mercy to Houston? The last time they sent a hospital ship to LA it went unused (and that was during the absolute PEAK of the “pandemic”.

AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:

Maybe they should send the USNS Mercy to Houston? The last time they sent a hospital ship to LA it went unused (and that was during the absolute PEAK of the “pandemic”.

except the newest peak was on the 3rd of july.

Okay. Good. So, had NYC and NO not taken the actions they did to stem the number of cases, would they have been in trouble or would they have recovered just fine without stay-at-homes? Will Covid just end in FL in "two, three, four weeks" and "we'll be fine"? Or are they in trouble again and need to consider at least SOME measure of control (e.g. mandatory masks in public spaces)?

I haven't read the whole thread, so, apologies. I honestly didn't realize there were places with/without mask mandates until last week when I went to the NV side of Tahoe. Probably only 20% of people wore them walking around the resort. Whatever, it's doesn't really bug me either way. Now, I don't even know if there is a mask mandate in public places in CA because I don't think I've seen anyone indoors without one in public in months. Everyone just wears them. I know it might be unpopular, but I don't really mind it that much if it means they'll keep shit open.

I don't know if we're really talking masks on this thread, but I honestly look at it like this: I can be pretty anti-government on certain issues, and maybe they don't have the right to tell us what to wear, but they can and have shut down the sports bar at the base of my office building from March to May. So, I just wear one so I can still go there for lunch and watch golf on Thurs/Fri.

It's no different to me than when my daughters are bugging me about wanting a granola bar while I'm trying to watch golf on Sat/Sun. Sure, I'd rather not give in, and they don't have the right to make me, but you'd better believe they are getting a granola bar if it means they'll shut the fuck up and let me watch golf.

Except for Costco and the hospitals here(both require masks), masks in public are very much in the minority.

EverettGriz said:

Okay. Good. So, had NYC and NO not taken the actions they did to stem the number of cases, would they have been in trouble or would they have recovered just fine without stay-at-homes? Will Covid just end in FL in "two, three, four weeks" and "we'll be fine"? Or are they in trouble again and need to consider at least SOME measure of control (e.g. mandatory masks in public spaces)?

Well, on the flip side to that argument, had NYC done a ton of things differently would they have had all the deaths they had? I believe had they even required masks right from the beginning and not piled covid patients into nursing homes their totals would look far different.

Personally, I would have far preferred those actions over a complete shutdown and taking kids out of school. Instead, they told everyone masks aren't necessary, but we are going to close schools and businesses to keep you safe. So you have to understand a little why some of us aren't 100% convinced the info we're getting and the steps we're asked to take may not be the end-all be-all.

I'm on record a long time ago saying obviously these measures work. Hell, close every single business right now and keep all schools closed. Do this for another year. And then maybe make people wear masks at least a year after that. I'd go a step further and not pretend the virus doesn't spread in "essential" businesses and close them down too. have the National Guard or someone deliver government rations or something. Fine people for being outside. These steps would stop the virus for sure! :thumb:

CDAGRIZ said:
I don't know if we're really talking masks on this thread, but I honestly look at it like this: I can be pretty anti-government on certain issues, and maybe they don't have the right to tell us what to wear, but they can and have shut down the sports bar at the base of my office building from March to May. So, I just wear one so I can still go there for lunch and watch golf on Thurs/Fri.

It's no different to me than when my daughters are bugging me about wanting a granola bar while I'm trying to watch golf on Sat/Sun. Sure, I'd rather not give in, and they don't have the right to make me, but you'd better believe they are getting a granola bar if it means they'll shut the [#]f### up and let me watch golf.
:lol:
Hey, I'm with you. No one has been much more "anti'covid" than myself. But I've been a great little rule follower and done pretty much everything that was asked.

With cases "spiking" in Bozeman, I have even required my employees to wear masks. Despite the fact you're really not supposed to touch your face and wearing a mask while working will have you touching your face no fewer than 1500 times a day in my experience. But we do it. Would have preferred them making people wear these the entire time if it meant businesses and schools could have stayed open. :eek:

EverettGriz said:
Not beds, fifty hospitals. Just grabbed the first link that came up. There are dozens from multiple sources.

https://www.newsweek.com/56-florida-icu-beds-are-full-dozens-more-over-90-percent-capacity-1516054

Oops, but this is the headline of the article you linked:'

"56 Florida ICU Beds Are Full With Dozens More Over 90 Percent Capacity"

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
Not beds, fifty hospitals. Just grabbed the first link that came up. There are dozens from multiple sources.

https://www.newsweek.com/56-florida-icu-beds-are-full-dozens-more-over-90-percent-capacity-1516054

Oops, but this is the headline of the article you linked:'

"56 Florida ICU Beds Are Full With Dozens More Over 90 Percent Capacity"

That's awesome.

grizindabox said:
kemajic said:
Hey, we get it. New cases is the only one that fits your narrative.

Not looking to dictate a narrative. But if you want to determine everything by the deaths, you are being reactive as opposed to proactive. But it is great how many keep trying to put words in my mouth just so they can bang on their ol' manboobs like an aging Tarzan.

You said Man boobs. Cool. lol: The Bro or the Manzirre :thumb:

AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:

The Mercy was sent to New York first and then LA to serve as an overflow hospital for “non covid patients” It was never intended to be a covid hospital. There was no overflow because people were staying home afraid of getting sick at the hospital. Very lame gaslighting. Smdh

ilovethecats said:
CDAGRIZ said:

It's no different to me than when my daughters are bugging me about wanting a granola bar while I'm trying to watch golf on Sat/Sun. Sure, I'd rather not give in, and they don't have the right to make me, but you'd better believe they are getting a granola bar if it means they'll shut the [#]f### up and let me watch golf.
Hey, I'm with you. No one has been much more "anti'covid" than myself. But I've been a great little rule follower and done pretty much everything that was asked.

With cases "spiking" in Bozeman, I have even required my employees to wear masks. Despite the fact you're really not supposed to touch your face and wearing a mask while working will have you touching your face no fewer than 1500 times a day in my experience. But we do it. Would have preferred them making people wear these the entire time if it meant businesses and schools could have stayed open. :eek:

get rid of Pigsty and you wouldn't have any cases, god damn politicians or sons of...don't forget puffy lips.

Dutch Lane said:
AZGrizFan said:
The Mercy was sent to New York first and then LA to serve as an overflow hospital for “non covid patients” It was never intended to be a covid hospital. There was no overflow because people were staying home afraid of getting sick at the hospital. Very lame gaslighting. Smdh

Not even remotely true. First of all, the Comfort was sent to NY. The Mercy was sent to LA. Two different ships. But it was typical government bureaucratic red tape that prevented them from taking on patients. They required a convoluted process of “proving” the patient DIDN’T have COVID prior to allowing them onboard....ambulances couldn’t take patients directly to the ships...they had to go to a regular hospital first, get checked for COVID, THEN be brought by separate ambulance to the USNS ships....(and that wasn’t “Trump” orders...that was/is military protocol to prevent COVID from getting into the ship). At the end of the day, NYC ended up using a concert hall as overflow and it worked just fine.

AZGrizFan said:
Dutch Lane said:

Not even remotely true. First of all, the Comfort was sent to NY. The Mercy was sent to LA. Two different ships. But it was typical government bureaucratic red tape that prevented them from taking on patients. They required a convoluted process of “proving” the patient DIDN’T have COVID prior to allowing them onboard....ambulances couldn’t take patients directly to the ships...they had to go to a regular hospital first, get checked for COVID, THEN be brought by separate ambulance to the USNS ships....(and that wasn’t “Trump” orders...that was/is military protocol to prevent COVID from getting into the ship). At the end of the day, NYC ended up using a concert hall as overflow and it worked just fine.

Take it easy with the facts AZ....

Dutch Lane said:
AZGrizFan said:

Wrong. The Comfort went to NYC. The Mercy was enroute to Seattle and diverted to LA. The Mercy was not used in any meaningful way. The Comfort was used, but not substantially. They had to drum up business while there...literally lobby local hospital administrators to get patients on board. Those ships were absolutely NOT necessary.

AZGrizFan said:
MikeyGriz said:
Or maybe the next two weeks. Or the two weeks after that. Or................ :D

This virus is a goddamned medical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere! :D
I can’t believe this didn’t get a better response Dapper Dan.

Grizbeer said:
AZGrizFan said:
This virus is a goddamned medical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere! :D

Thank you, Griz Beer. I’ve never been so disappointed in a fan base.

Sounds to me like they was harborin’ A hateful grudge against me on account of my rough and rowdy past...

AZGrizFan said:
Grizbeer said:

Thank you, Griz Beer. I’ve never been so disappointed in a fan base.

Sounds to me like they was harborin’ A hateful grudge against me on account of my rough and rowdy past...

I thought you was a toad.

Back