• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Way Too Early Look at 2020 Schedule

uofmman1122 said:
Just a few things:

We haven't played a sub D1 school in the past 5 years.

Since 2009, the only Big Sky schools to play fewer sub D1 teams than us are Weber(1), Cal Poly(3), SUU(4), and UND(4), but every one of those schools except UND have multiple seasons playing 2 FBS teams (Weber(6), SUU(4), Cal Poly(2)), instead of a sub D1.

NAU, the school being held up as the standard a few posts before this, has played 7 Sub D1 schools since 2009 (3 in the last 5 years). Going forward it sounds like they're trying to copy our scheduling practices, minus the FBS game every year.

MSU has played 8 sub D1 schools, and Eastern has played 6 sub D1 schools.

You don't have to be excited at the idea of playing a sub D1 school, but it's pretty funny to see people get so bent out of shape for our first D2 game in six years and act like we're doing something wrong. :lol:

Good info and good point, 1122. Thx.

In terms of the playoffs, is scheduling a D-II much different than scheduling an FBS, or a good FBS? I suppose the FBS helps with SOS, or I assume it does.

Great post GF. Thanks for the valuable input.

George Ferguson said:
I know for a fact Haslem tried and exhausted a lot of options for an FCS game for the home-opener, including looking at a Big Sky (Non-Conference game) with a very good team that the Griz don't play in conference next falll, but they couldn't make it work. . . . and the only FCS power teams that the Griz could have scheduled insist on UM coming there first. Haslem wanted very much for that game to be a night game against an FCS team. It didn't happen.

SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
Just a few things:

Since 2009, the only Big Sky schools to play fewer sub D1 teams than us are Weber(1), Cal Poly(3), SUU(4), and UND(4), but every one of those schools except UND have multiple seasons playing 2 FBS teams (Weber(6), SUU(4), Cal Poly(2)), instead of a sub D1.

NAU, the school being held up as the standard a few posts before this, has played 7 Sub D1 schools since 2009 (3 in the last 5 years). Going forward it sounds like they're trying to copy our scheduling practices, minus the FBS game every year.

You don't have to be excited at the idea of playing a sub D1 school, but it's pretty funny to see people get so bent out of shape for our first D2 game in six years and act like we're doing something wrong. :lol:

I don't have an issue with it per se. I get it. I'd certainly prefer the Griz play ANY FCS school over a sub D1 school.

What I don't get is why schedules aren't locked in more than a year or even 2 in advance. The crap about the AD trying really hard just doesn't sit well with me.

Thanks for the numbers above...any idea how many NDSU has played or JMU for that matter?

The schedule IS locked in years in advance. The Central game has been on the schedule for at least two years. But that doesn’t mean Hauck and Kent stop looking to replace it with an FCS. But when no one is available or willing to come to Missoula I’m that date — remember, every other AD is trying to do what’s best for their organization as well — you unfortunately are stuck keeping the Central game.

SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
Just a few things:

I don't have an issue with it per se. I get it. I'd certainly prefer the Griz play ANY FCS school over a sub D1 school.

What I don't get is why schedules aren't locked in more than a year or even 2 in advance. The crap about the AD trying really hard just doesn't sit well with me.

Thanks for the numbers above...any idea how many NDSU has played or JMU for that matter?
NDSU has only played one sub D1 team since 2009, and while JMU hasn't played any, remember that they can bus in any number of teams from smaller FCS conferences, like the NEC, Patriot, MEAC, etc, who we would need to pay to bring out to Missoula.

NDSU has also played 14 "non-return" home games against FCS teams in that span, where they either bought out the return trip, or never agreed to one to begin with (not throwing shade, I honestly don't know). We've had 7 in that same time frame, all in the last 4 seasons. They seem to be doing a lot better job avoiding home-and-home contracts than we have been. Maybe the extra 811 miles from Fargo to here is just a little too much for a lot of FCS teams. :?

The tradeoff for them, is that they hardly ever do marquee home-and-home series with better FCS teams. Since 2009, we've had series with South Dakota, WIU, UNI, NDSU, Liberty, UND, App State, Cal Poly, and UC Davis (and had one lined up with McNeese State).

NDSU has had series with only UND, Delaware, Weber State, EWU, and us.

PlayerRep said:
In terms of the playoffs, is scheduling a D-II much different than scheduling an FBS, or a good FBS? I suppose the FBS helps with SOS, or I assume it does.
The difference is that many, many, of our players get hurt while playing FBS teams. Against Oregon this year we lost Matt Rensvold. In addition the game was so hard that it wore down Gavin Crow, Dalton Sneed, Jed Nagler, Gabe Sulser, Sammy Akem, Joe Babros, and several others, so that they would get hurt later on. This will not happen next year which is the advantage of playing DIV 2 over FBS.

PlayerRep said:
It's anecdotal, and only applies to our team, but the last three years we made the semis or better, we played a D2 team in each of those years.

Also anecdotal, but it seems the consensus among FCS fans is that FBS games only really help you when the FCS team wins, but D2/NAIA games can come back to bite you come playoff selection day. That really only matters if you're close to the bubble, though. An undefeated FCS team from a top 3 conference has never been punished for playing a D2 school.

SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
The difference is that many, many, of our players get hurt while playing FBS teams. Against Oregon this year we lost Matt Rensvold. In addition the game was so hard that it wore down Gavin Crow, Dalton Sneed, Jed Nagler, Gabe Sulser, Sammy Akem, Joe Babros, and several others, so that they would get hurt later on. This will not happen next year which is the advantage of playing DIV 2 over FBS.
Wore them done so they would get hurt later on? That is an interesting statement. You also seem to be saying that our players won’t get hurt when we play Division 2 teams. Strange, but I’ve heard the opposite point of view.

SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

The prior game against Oregon resulted in a dozen injuries. Losing 1 or starters for the season or much of it isn't good. What would the Griz starting line up have looked like against Weber had UM averaged one big injury per game, or 13 starters out for season?

I guess you didn't think Rensvold was a big loss. I did.

"The Montana Grizzlies are still ranked fourth in Division I-AA after their loss at Oregon, and many of them felt strongly that the 47-14 loss was a good experience.

But that injury list is still pretty long.

The most important loss is linebacker Loren Utterback, a starter on the strong side. His father Brad confirmed on Tuesday that the 218-pound sophomore suffered a broken foot with around eight minutes left in the game. The Fort Benton product had surgery Monday, and will be out 6-8 weeks.

At Montana's weekly press conference, head coach Bobby Hauck noted 12 injuries, without giving specifics."

Spanky2 said:
SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Wore them done so they would get hurt later on? That is an interesting statement. You also seem to be saying that our players won’t get hurt when we play Division 2 teams. Strange, but I’ve heard the opposite point of view.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I literally laughed out loud when I read it.

SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

From the participation chart from this year's Oregon game to the next game. Players who played at Oregon and then didn't play the next week. Injuries.

Anderson
Babros started, played the next week, then didn't play, and then didn't start again until Ida
Grossman, then didn't play rest of season
Keintz, then played 2, then didn't play 2, then started 1, then didn't play 2, then started 1
Martin
McGinnis
Nagler, missed 2
Nelson

PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

From the participation chart from this year's Oregon game to the next game. Players who played at Oregon and then didn't play the next week. Injuries.

Anderson
Babros started, played the next week, then didn't play, and then didn't start again until Ida
Keintz, then played 2, then didn't play 2, then started 1, then didn't play 2, then started 1
Martin
McGinnis
Nagler, missed 2
Nelson
Dude, read the post, I'm agreeing with you.

SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Anderson
Martin
McGinnis
Nagler, missed 2
Nelson
Sulser didn't play against Oregon until the last offensive series of the game. And yeah if Gavin Crow didn't play against Oregon that would have for sure helped him not getting his leg snapped in half lol, are you serious?

SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Are you sure Rensvold got hurt in the Oregon game? I was thinking he was injured during the Monmouth game back here in Missoula.

EverettGriz said:
SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
Just a few things:

The schedule IS locked in years in advance. The Central game has been on the schedule for at least two years. But that doesn’t mean Hauck and Kent stop looking to replace it with an FCS. But when no one is available or willing to come to Missoula I’m that date — remember, every other AD is trying to do what’s best for their organization as well — you unfortunately are stuck keeping the Central game.

I guess KH has been trying real hard for over 2 years then. Appreciate the effort because effort matters.

WaGriz4life said:
SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:

Anderson
Martin
McGinnis
Nagler, missed 2
Nelson
Sulser didn't play against Oregon until the last offensive series of the game. And yeah if Gavin Crow didn't play against Oregon that would have for sure helped him not getting his leg snapped in half lol, are you serious?
Yes, I'm serious. Sulser would not have torn his knee up in practice had we not played an FBS team. Keintz wouldn't have lost his starting job to Dylan Cook if not for the Ducks. Nelson might have been 4th on the depth chart but for sure would have played more had it not been for the Ducks. McGinnis took part in every game for the rest of the year except for the blow out of Monmouth and Skyler Martin and Sean Anderson (our back up center, and one of our back up tackles) didn't get into several games because we played Oregon. And no way does Gavin Crow get his leg snapped if we didn't play Oregon earlier.

SaskGriz said:
WaGriz4life said:
SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Anderson
Martin
McGinnis
Nagler, missed 2
Nelson
Yes, I'm serious. Sulser would not have torn his knee up in practice had we not played an FBS team. Keintz wouldn't have lost his starting job to Dylan Cook if not for the Ducks. Nelson might have been 4th on the depth chart but for sure would have played more had it not been for the Ducks. McGinnis took part in every game for the rest of the year except for the blow out of Monmouth and Skyler Martin and Sean Anderson (our back up center, and one of our back up tackles) didn't get into several games because we played Oregon. And no way does Gavin Crow get his leg snapped if we didn't play Oregon earlier.

Clearly this post has to be purely sarcastic with that Crow comment because he had already broke his leg against N. Alabama

SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Anderson
Martin
McGinnis
Nagler, missed 2
Nelson

Dude, I was just posting info over your post.

dayday said:
SaskGriz said:
WaGriz4life said:
SaskGriz said:

Clearly this post has to be purely sarcastic with that Crow comment because he had already broke his leg against N. Alabama

The poster is an idiot.

'68griz said:
SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Are you sure Rensvold got hurt in the Oregon game? I was thinking he was injured during the Monmouth game back here in Missoula.

https://stats.gogriz.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/2019-2020/plyr_81.htm

Back