• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Way Too Early Look at 2020 Schedule

argh! said:
having akem, jlm, toure, olson, etc on the team already, at a fcs program with top attendance, doesn't exactly sound like starting at the bottom. you hauck lovers sure can get overly melodramatic.
Nobody is being dramatic, merely pointing out the facts. It's a lot tougher to win with a team that went 6-5 and 7-4 and missed the playoffs running a different offense the two years before you show up than it is to take over a team that was undefeated and running your offense last year.

fanofzoo said:
Proud Griz Man said:
grizband said:
I hate to assume one player makes this significant an impact, but honestly a healthy Akem is probably the difference in Montana beating Weber State in the playoffs.

But - - - Only if Akem can excel at right defensive end and properly reads the halfback screen play.

or be the o line and keep them not being in the Sneeds lap the entire game

And yet despite all of this and 5 interceptions against a team playing on their home field, we lost by 7 points. Not exactly a statement loss.

Really looking forward to next year!

dbackjon said:
A Cream puff OOC sets well for a team breaking in a new QB.

The three teams COMBINED offer less scholarships than any Big Sky team does by itself.

Sure make the playoffs and then face hard teams

AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
jcu27 said:
Bobcats
Long Island W
@ Utah L
Dixie State W
@ PSU W
UNC L<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
CPSLO W
@ Weber St L
Idaho State W
@ EWU W
Idaho W
@ UM L
7-4
While the Griz go undefeated ranked #3 in the country. bobcats somehow ranked higher than they should be at #11.

You lost me right there.

:lol: :lol:

Bobcats have a history of struggling with the mighty UNC. It's their rival. UNC gonna get em.

jcu27 said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
jcu27 said:
Bobcats
Long Island W
@ Utah L
Dixie State W
@ PSU W
UNC L<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
CPSLO W
@ Weber St L
Idaho State W
@ EWU W
Idaho W
@ UM L
7-4
While the Griz go undefeated ranked #3 in the country. bobcats somehow ranked higher than they should be at #11.

You lost me right there.

:lol: :lol:

Bobcats have a history of struggling with the mighty UNC. It's their rival. UNC gonna get em.

Have they?

George Ferguson said:
I know for a fact Haslem tried and exhausted a lot of options for an FCS game for the home-opener, including looking at a Big Sky (Non-Conference game) with a very good team that the Griz don't play in conference next falll, but they couldn't make it work. The problem with this season was, they wanted that home-opener to be a one-off not a home and home. They already have a home-and-home on the schedule with Missouri State for this season, and the only FCS power teams that the Griz could have scheduled insist on UM coming there first. There are a lot of dates in future schedules already done too, so doing new home-and home's in the short-term aren't always that easy because dates are filled.

I hate the DII's. I think just about everybody does, but, this one turned out to be unavoidable. They tried. They couldn't find a third FCS team to come to Missoula. Period, the end. So now let the false narratives from MSU fans and Hauck detractors begin about weak schedules, about they knew they would be breaking in a new QB next year, ect, ect, ect begin. But, that's what they are, false narratives. Haslem wanted very much for that game to be a night game against an FCS team. It didn't happen.

NAU has (as part of a home and home) filled the scheduled out for the next five seasons with:
Eastern Washington(last half of OOC Home and home)
South Dakota
Sam Houston
North Dakota
Dixie State (starting in 2024 when they are full scholarship)

Every season NAU plays one home, one away with another major FCS conference school.

dbackjon said:
George Ferguson said:
I know for a fact Haslem tried and exhausted a lot of options for an FCS game for the home-opener, including looking at a Big Sky (Non-Conference game) with a very good team that the Griz don't play in conference next falll, but they couldn't make it work. The problem with this season was, they wanted that home-opener to be a one-off not a home and home. They already have a home-and-home on the schedule with Missouri State for this season, and the only FCS power teams that the Griz could have scheduled insist on UM coming there first. There are a lot of dates in future schedules already done too, so doing new home-and home's in the short-term aren't always that easy because dates are filled.

I hate the DII's. I think just about everybody does, but, this one turned out to be unavoidable. They tried. They couldn't find a third FCS team to come to Missoula. Period, the end. So now let the false narratives from MSU fans and Hauck detractors begin about weak schedules, about they knew they would be breaking in a new QB next year, ect, ect, ect begin. But, that's what they are, false narratives. Haslem wanted very much for that game to be a night game against an FCS team. It didn't happen.

NAU has (as part of a home and home) filled the scheduled out for the next five seasons with:
South Dakota
Sam Houston
North Dakota

Every season NAU plays one home, one away with another major FCS conference school.

Yep...that's how it's supposed to work. But, Haslem tried real hard, so it's all good.

SoldierGriz said:
dbackjon said:
George Ferguson said:

South Dakota
Sam Houston
North Dakota

Yep...that's how it's supposed to work. But, Haslem tried real hard, so it's all good.

As I mentioned above, EVERY single one of the FCS teams the Griz could have played on the opening Saturday of the season, and there weren't many, would only agree to play the Griz at their place in exchange for a home game later on. A five-game home schedule in exchange for a better SOS was NOT going to happen, and WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

George Ferguson said:
SoldierGriz said:
dbackjon said:
George Ferguson said:

South Dakota
Sam Houston
North Dakota

As I mentioned above, EVERY single one of the FCS teams the Griz could have played on the opening Saturday of the season, and there weren't many, would only agree to play the Griz at their place in exchange for a home game later on. A five-game home schedule in exchange for a better SOS was NOT going to happen, and WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

It’s wild that no FCS team out of, what, 114(?) that aren’t UM or BSC would play in Missoula. 0 for 114 on the phone calls to see if there was a way to make it work. Wow.

CDAGRIZ said:
George Ferguson said:
SoldierGriz said:
dbackjon said:
South Dakota
Sam Houston
North Dakota

It’s wild that no FCS team out of, what, 114(?) that aren’t UM or BSC would play in Missoula. 0 for 114 on the phone calls to see if there was a way to make it work. Wow.

It's also wild that other schools can figure it out. Cripesn even nau can do it.

George Ferguson said:
SoldierGriz said:
dbackjon said:
George Ferguson said:

South Dakota
Sam Houston
North Dakota

Home and Home...it's literally how it works. And, if the Griz are trying to build the schedule a season or even 2 out...well, that just feels like amateur hour.

Is the entire athletic department trying to RTD? Perhaps they just need to shoot for just better than good as a start.

I mean marketing and social media continue to lag. One has to CALL the ticket office for season ticket prices...the list goes on.

SoldierGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
George Ferguson said:
SoldierGriz said:

It's also wild that other schools can figure it out. Cripesn even nau can do it.

I honestly don’t know this particular situation, but the “it can’t be done” mentality sure seems to come up a lot. Remember when tons of people bought that night games couldn’t be done because barkeeps would lose money?

It’s beyond the scope of this discussion, and it’s not intended as a direct criticism of any administrator, but sometimes I feel like the “fuck this, we’re going beyond” mentality that sparked the rise of the Griz isn’t as apparent as it once was.

A five-game home schedule in exchange for a better SOS was NOT going to happen, and WILL NEVER HAPPEN.
The current economic drivers make this a true statement. It produces more revenue to have 6 home games, even if a couple of them are yawners, than 5 competitive ones. This will continue until fans decide to make different entertainment choices. Personally it isn't worth it to me, with tickets, food and lodging costs, to drive over and watch the Griz annihilate Morehead State or Central Washington so I won't. However those games will continue to be scheduled until/unless fans simply lose interest and the economics appear different to the athletic department.

One could also tie this to the move-up or not dilemma. Much like FBS, FCS has a top tier of only a few teams, in recent years primarily one, who are competitive at a playoff level. I know many of you like the FCS playoffs, as I do, however there are not 24 teams remotely competitive. So you have the Southeast Louisianans of the world, coming in ranked 15th or whatever, getting blown out by 50. It is very very difficult to build out a competitive schedule that prepares teams for the top 4 or 5 teams they will see in the playoffs, especially in the Big Sky with the unbalanced schedule. And to be honest there are many who find watching the Griz winning by 50 no matter who the opponent entertaining. When entertainment ceases to be entertaining but still costs the same amount of money something may give eventually but I wouldn't expect to see it anytime soon.

sdk.catfish said:
A five-game home schedule in exchange for a better SOS was NOT going to happen, and WILL NEVER HAPPEN.
The current economic drivers make this a true statement. It produces more revenue to have 6 home games, even if a couple of them are yawners, than 5 competitive ones. This will continue until fans decide to make different entertainment choices. Personally it isn't worth it to me, with tickets, food and lodging costs, to drive over and watch the Griz annihilate Morehead State or Central Washington so I won't. However those games will continue to be scheduled until/unless fans simply lose interest and the economics appear different to the athletic department.

One could also tie this to the move-up or not dilemma. Much like FBS, FCS has a top tier of only a few teams, in recent years primarily one, who are competitive at a playoff level. I know many of you like the FCS playoffs, as I do, however there are not 24 teams remotely competitive. So you have the Southeast Louisianans of the world, coming in ranked 15th or whatever, getting blown out by 50. It is very very difficult to build out a competitive schedule that prepares teams for the top 4 or 5 teams they will see in the playoffs, especially in the Big Sky with the unbalanced schedule. And to be honest there are many who find watching the Griz winning by 50 no matter who the opponent entertaining. When entertainment ceases to be entertaining but still costs the same amount of money something may give eventually but I wouldn't expect to see it anytime soon.

Montana has the resources for the 6th home game yearly. NAU plays an FBS game (usually Arizona State or Arizona) as well as the home and away FCS games.

Montana can use the slot that NAU uses for FBS for a FCS buy game.

Just a few things:

We haven't played a sub D1 school in the past 5 years.

Since 2009, the only Big Sky schools to play fewer sub D1 teams than us are Weber(1), Cal Poly(3), SUU(4), and UND(4), but every one of those schools except UND have multiple seasons playing 2 FBS teams (Weber(6), SUU(4), Cal Poly(2)), instead of a sub D1.

NAU, the school being held up as the standard a few posts before this, has played 7 Sub D1 schools since 2009 (3 in the last 5 years). Going forward it sounds like they're trying to copy our scheduling practices, minus the FBS game every year.

MSU has played 8 sub D1 schools, and Eastern has played 6 sub D1 schools.

You don't have to be excited at the idea of playing a sub D1 school, but it's pretty funny to see people get so bent out of shape for our first D2 game in six years and act like we're doing something wrong. :lol:

dbackjon » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:49 pm
Montana has the resources for the 6th home game yearly. NAU plays an FBS game (usually Arizona State or Arizona) as well as the home and away FCS games.

Montana can use the slot that NAU uses for FBS for a FCS buy game.

I'm not quite sure what you are saying here so hopefully I don't misinterpret. Yes, UM can use 1 of 3 (or 2 out of 3 like Portland State) out of conference slots to schedule whomever but what is the incentive? UM has scheduled, and will probably continue to schedule an FBS opponent most years but not next year. But with the general lack of parity in the FCS, a team may be better off to schedule 3 cupcake out of conference opponents and hope they win them all. There are only so many 9-2 teams and they usually get a 1 - 8 seed. In conference, looking at the Big Sky, there are usually only 3 to 4 teams that will compete for the conference title and a team, depending on the draw, may only have to play 2. So if you don't lose out of conference, or only lose one to an FBS, win the cupcake FCS games like Moorhead State, and break even on the tough BSC games you are 8 and 3. Good breaks and we are 9 and 2 and seeded in the playoffs. The conference schedule is what it is and we might be playing more Northern Colorado's than playing Eastern Washington. There is absolutely no reason, if simply getting into the playoffs and having a home game or two is the goal, to schedule any reasonable competition. Now if we actually want to go further into the playoffs, then scheduling tougher opponents may be beneficial to going further, and we may wan't to consider another route.

I'm always amazed at people who don't think we have any control over these things. If you don't like BS games like Central Washington and Moorhead State just don't go. Believe me if there are only 5K in the stands the AD will take notice eventually. Bad Fan????????? Maybe but it is your (and mine) entertainment money so spend it as you wish

uofmman1122 said:
Just a few things:

Since 2009, the only Big Sky schools to play fewer sub D1 teams than us are Weber(1), Cal Poly(3), SUU(4), and UND(4), but every one of those schools except UND have multiple seasons playing 2 FBS teams (Weber(6), SUU(4), Cal Poly(2)), instead of a sub D1.

NAU, the school being held up as the standard a few posts before this, has played 7 Sub D1 schools since 2009 (3 in the last 5 years). Going forward it sounds like they're trying to copy our scheduling practices, minus the FBS game every year.

You don't have to be excited at the idea of playing a sub D1 school, but it's pretty funny to see people get so bent out of shape for our first D2 game in six years and act like we're doing something wrong. :lol:

I don't have an issue with it per se. I get it. I'd certainly prefer the Griz play ANY FCS school over a sub D1 school.

What I don't get is why schedules aren't locked in more than a year or even 2 in advance. The crap about the AD trying really hard just doesn't sit well with me.

Thanks for the numbers above...any idea how many NDSU has played or JMU for that matter?

SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
Just a few things:

I don't have an issue with it per se. I get it. I'd certainly prefer the Griz play ANY FCS school over a sub D1 school.

What I don't get is why schedules aren't locked in more than a year or even 2 in advance. The crap about the AD trying really hard just doesn't sit well with me.

Thanks for the numbers above...any idea how many NDSU has played or JMU for that matter?

In the last 10 years, JMU hasn't played lower than 1-AA. NDSU has once, 2013 against Ferris St.

uofmman1122 said:
Just a few things:

In an 11-game season, yes, I think it’s a mistake to play down. There. I’ve said it. I will live with the consequences.

Back