• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Way Too Early Look at 2020 Schedule

PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
In terms of the playoffs, is scheduling a D-II much different than scheduling an FBS, or a good FBS? I suppose the FBS helps with SOS, or I assume it does.
The difference is that many, many, of our players get hurt while playing FBS teams. Against Oregon this year we lost Matt Rensvold. In addition the game was so hard that it wore down Gavin Crow, Dalton Sneed, Jed Nagler, Gabe Sulser, Sammy Akem, Joe Babros, and several others, so that they would get hurt later on. This will not happen next year which is the advantage of playing DIV 2 over FBS.

From the participation chart from this year's Oregon game to the next game. Players who played at Oregon and then didn't play the next week. Injuries.

Anderson
Babros started, played the next week, then didn't play, and then didn't start again until Ida
Grossman, then didn't play rest of season
Keintz, then played 2, then didn't play 2, then started 1, then didn't play 2, then started 1
Martin
McGinnis
Nagler, missed 2
Nelson

Hey, FBS injury poo poohers. What's your explanation? What's up with these 8 players? What's the explanation? What about the 12 injured after the prior Oregon game?

If UM had 12 or 8 or whatever injuries after every game, how many players would UM have later in the season?

You guys need to talk to some coaches and AD's, and others. Look at the stats. Read the articles.

As I understand it,although, there were few injuries to our players at the Oregon game, the injuries to the players for the remainder of the year can be attributable to the Oregon game. Is that the primary position? Further, UM should not schedule any FBS opponents because there are too many injuries as opposed to the resulting injuries when playing FCS or Division 2 opponents. Considering that many UM players were borderline FBS recruits and some were FBS drop downs, is the belief that we shouldn’t play FBS schools because of resulting injuries?

People that say there shouldn't be 1-A teams on the schedule because of possible injuries should really take up something safe like watching knitting. But not around cats because that would result in boo boos.

North Dakota State in some years plays one or two FBS opponents, sometimes beating them. The injuries incurred from the FBS games doesn’t seem to stop them from winning FCS national championships?

Spanky2 said:
As I understand it,although, there were few injuries to our players at the Oregon game, the injuries to the players for the remainder of the year can be attributable to the Oregon game. Is that the primary position? Further, UM should not schedule any FBS opponents because there are too many injuries as opposed to the resulting injuries when playing FCS or Division 2 opponents. Considering that many UM players were borderline FBS recruits and some were FBS drop downs, is the belief that we shouldn’t play FBS schools because of resulting injuries?

I have never seen any poster say that UM, or any team, shouldn't schedule FBS teams due to the increased chance of injuries. Why do some posters insist on arguing against something that no-one has ever or suggested.

The discussion has always been about whether there are increased chances of injury in FBS games, especially ones against top programs. Some posters, including some who have talked to some UM coaches and some AD people over the years, say there is an increased chance. For example, there is also some indication from UM's experience that there is some increased chance of injury. The experience against Oregon has some evidence.

Some disagree there there is an increased chance of injury.

Can some people really not understand that a discussion about injuries does not equal advocating not playing up due to the risk of injury.

The next person who says that on egriz will be band for a year.

SoldierGriz said:
EverettGriz said:
SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
Just a few things:

We haven't played a sub D1 school in the past 5 years.

Since 2009, the only Big Sky schools to play fewer sub D1 teams than us are Weber(1), Cal Poly(3), SUU(4), and UND(4), but every one of those schools except UND have multiple seasons playing 2 FBS teams (Weber(6), SUU(4), Cal Poly(2)), instead of a sub D1.

NAU, the school being held up as the standard a few posts before this, has played 7 Sub D1 schools since 2009 (3 in the last 5 years). Going forward it sounds like they're trying to copy our scheduling practices, minus the FBS game every year.

MSU has played 8 sub D1 schools, and Eastern has played 6 sub D1 schools.

You don't have to be excited at the idea of playing a sub D1 school, but it's pretty funny to see people get so bent out of shape for our first D2 game in six years and act like we're doing something wrong. :lol:

I don't have an issue with it per se. I get it. I'd certainly prefer the Griz play ANY FCS school over a sub D1 school.

What I don't get is why schedules aren't locked in more than a year or even 2 in advance. The crap about the AD trying really hard just doesn't sit well with me.

Thanks for the numbers above...any idea how many NDSU has played or JMU for that matter?

The schedule IS locked in years in advance. The Central game has been on the schedule for at least two years. But that doesn’t mean Hauck and Kent stop looking to replace it with an FCS. But when no one is available or willing to come to Missoula I’m that date — remember, every other AD is trying to do what’s best for their organization as well — you unfortunately are stuck keeping the Central game.

I guess KH has been trying real hard for over 2 years then. Appreciate the effort because effort matters.

So you’re confirming what was already obvious: You know very little about the scheduling process.

EverettGriz said:
SoldierGriz said:
EverettGriz said:
SoldierGriz said:
I don't have an issue with it per se. I get it. I'd certainly prefer the Griz play ANY FCS school over a sub D1 school.

What I don't get is why schedules aren't locked in more than a year or even 2 in advance. The crap about the AD trying really hard just doesn't sit well with me.

Thanks for the numbers above...any idea how many NDSU has played or JMU for that matter?

The schedule IS locked in years in advance. The Central game has been on the schedule for at least two years. But that doesn’t mean Hauck and Kent stop looking to replace it with an FCS. But when no one is available or willing to come to Missoula I’m that date — remember, every other AD is trying to do what’s best for their organization as well — you unfortunately are stuck keeping the Central game.

I guess KH has been trying real hard for over 2 years then. Appreciate the effort because effort matters.

So you’re confirming what was already obvious: You know very little about the scheduling process.

Why don't you tell us all you know about it.

The current elite FCS schools seem to figure it out...

Surely you don't think scheduling D2 schools 2 or more years in advance is a best practice, or perhaps you do...

Back