• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Way Too Early Look at 2020 Schedule

Cuervohola said:
You're all talking about 1-AA, which is fine, I would take a home/home with JMU in a second... Same with the Fargoes, but they are scared to come here after last time.

I was talking about 1-A... Michigan, Ohio St, etc...

Well, the D2 games are because they need home games, which has nothing to do with you hoping for road games at FBS schools.

grizindabox said:
Cuervohola said:
You're all talking about 1-AA, which is fine, I would take a home/home with JMU in a second... Same with the Fargoes, but they are scared to come here after last time.

Well, the D2 games are because they need home games, which has nothing to do with you hoping for road games at FBS schools.

Why do they need home games against D2? Please provide this nugget of information versus a payday every year at a Power 5 conference.

Cuervohola said:
grizindabox said:
Cuervohola said:

Why do they need home games against D2? Please provide this nugget of information versus a payday every year at a Power 5 conference.

The University is set on 6 home games per year. It just happens that next season all they could work out for that 6th home game was a D2. They will never forego a 6th home game for a FBS game.

I know for a fact Haslem tried and exhausted a lot of options for an FCS game for the home-opener, including looking at a Big Sky (Non-Conference game) with a very good team that the Griz don't play in conference next falll, but they couldn't make it work. The problem with this season was, they wanted that home-opener to be a one-off not a home and home. They already have a home-and-home on the schedule with Missouri State for this season, and the only FCS power teams that the Griz could have scheduled insist on UM coming there first. There are a lot of dates in future schedules already done too, so doing new home-and home's in the short-term aren't always that easy because dates are filled.

I hate the DII's. I think just about everybody does, but, this one turned out to be unavoidable. They tried. They couldn't find a third FCS team to come to Missoula. Period, the end. So now let the false narratives from MSU fans and Hauck detractors begin about weak schedules, about they knew they would be breaking in a new QB next year, ect, ect, ect begin. But, that's what they are, false narratives. Haslem wanted very much for that game to be a night game against an FCS team. It didn't happen.

BozAngelesGriz said:
Htowngriz said:
Cuervohola said:
Da Boyz Mom said:
Most of the time I don't love playing a D2 but considering we will be debuting a new starting QB (whoever it ends up being), I am actually glad it's on the schedule next year.

I can't get past it. I'm sure I'll be fine on Sept. 1, but as of now, they make us wait 8 plus months for D2. I was preaching about how Kennesaw St. had a soft schedule with 2 NAIA teams, but were ranked 4th for a lot of the season.

Now, I won't be able to talk smack about the Griz being ranked high after their next 3 games after CWU, with opponent records of 1-10, 5-7 and 3-8. Sure, those teams might be better...

To me, D2 means somebody wasn't doing their job. CWU played teams twice last season.
Scheduling for an FCS team out west isn't as easy as you seem to think it is.

Not to mention, it’s CWU. Some years they would be competitive in the BSC. Last season they played Idaho closer than Poly or ISU and finished 7-4.
Agreed. CWU has been more competitive than most of the FCS teams that have been brought in. They will have good players, just not as much depth. I am more looking forward to CWU than Dixie State.

Grizzlies1982 said:
SoldierGriz said:
Jeebus...we are starting to sound like cat fans...pre season national champs?

Too many question marks for me starting with the offensive and defensive lines. QB?

The schedule does indeed look favorable, however.

Agree it looks favorable but damn, going undefeated blah, blah, blah. That is classic bobcat pre season babble.

We have some big shoes to fill. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out. Go Griz!

losing to weber 17-10 and then weber getting beat 3 scores by jmu does not give one a whole lot to write home about looking forward to next year. especially using a weak upcoming schedule to boost any case for dominance and a seed. worried about the qb spot is also disconcerting since ndsu is going to the NC with a freshman qb. how is it that ndsu can compete up to the final game with a freshman qb (no losses and no interceptions to boot) and jmu can win a national title with a first year coach (mike houston 2016 and going undefeated) and it makes no sense on egriz when we lament over these things (excuses) when other teams seem to do it without all the tao coins landing in place. we should be able to do so as well, that being said, as mentioned, "looking forward to seeing how it plays out. Go Griz."

AZGrizFan said:
Easier schedule ==> better record ==> higher seed ==> more home games ==> deeper playoff run

This. I think someone should do a welfare check on Zirge. He seems pretty despondent. :?

AZGrizFan said:
Easier schedule ==> better record ==> higher seed ==> more home games ==> deeper playoff run
while true on the surface..........still have to execute and work around any adversity(s) that may come up....ie akem, sneed hurt etc etc.

zirge said:
Grizzlies1982 said:
SoldierGriz said:

Too many question marks for me starting with the offensive and defensive lines. QB?

Agree it looks favorable but damn, going undefeated blah, blah, blah. That is classic bobcat pre season babble.

We have some big shoes to fill. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out. Go Griz!

losing to weber 17-10 and then weber getting beat 3 scores by jmu does not give one a whole lot to write home about looking forward to next year. especially using a weak upcoming schedule to boost any case for dominance and a seed. worried about the qb spot is also disconcerting since ndsu is going to the NC with a freshman qb. how is it that ndsu can compete up to the final game with a freshman qb (no losses and no interceptions to boot) and jmu can win a national title with a first year coach (mike houston 2016 and going undefeated) and it makes no sense on egriz when we lament over these things (excuses) when other teams seem to do it without all the tao coins landing in place. we should be able to do so as well, that being said, as mentioned, "looking forward to seeing how it plays out. Go Griz."
I don't know much about JMU coaching history, but NDSU coaching change was to promote a guy already in the program, in order to maintain the program. Bobby Hauck wasn't hired to just maintain the program, he was hired to overhaul the program. Starting on top of the mountain and trying not to fall off is a lot easier than getting dropped off at basecamp to start the climb.

SubGriz said:
zirge said:
Grizzlies1982 said:
SoldierGriz said:

I don't know much about JMU coaching history, but NDSU coaching change was to promote a guy already in the program, in order to maintain the program. Bobby Hauck wasn't hired to just maintain the program, he was hired to overhaul the program. Starting on top of the mountain and trying not to fall off is a lot easier than getting dropped off at basecamp to start the climb.
agree......being this is not Bobby's first rodeo with the Griz i would not call it starting at the top of the mountain. i say he was dropped off with basecamp in his distant hindsight. still having to make an effort to get to the top, but not so much. he also got handed some great players so it was not all bad for him.

zirge said:
agree......being this is not Bobby's first rodeo with the Griz i would not call it starting at the top of the mountain. i say he was dropped off with basecamp in his distant hindsight. still having to make an effort to get to the top, but not so much. he also got handed some great players so it was not all bad for him.
I was referring to Hauck as starting at the bottom. You're probably right that he's not exactly at square one, but he's not taking over a defending national championship team, either. That chunky ginger (because who else would they find to coach the Obese'uns) has a lot easier road in his first season.

SubGriz said:
zirge said:
I was referring to Hauck as starting at the bottom. You're probably right that he's not exactly at square one, but he's not taking over a defending national championship team, either. That chunky ginger (because who else would they find to coach the Obese'uns) has a lot easier road in his first season.
true......but he still has to coach it and the players have to play it.....all with precision and discipline.

zirge said:
SubGriz said:
zirge said:
Grizzlies1982 said:

I hate to assume one player makes this significant an impact, but honestly a healthy Akem is probably the difference in Montana beating Weber State in the playoffs. Toure is phenomenal, but having two receivers of that caliber gives opposing defenses even more fits against the pass offense. Roberts filled in admirably, but he doesn't have the experience/flat out skill of Akem.

grizband said:
zirge said:
SubGriz said:
zirge said:
I hate to assume one player makes this significant an impact, but honestly a healthy Akem is probably the difference in Montana beating Weber State in the playoffs. Toure is phenomenal, but having two receivers of that caliber gives opposing defenses even more fits against the pass offense. Roberts filled in admirably, but he doesn't have the experience/flat out skill of Akem.

I think either/both Akem or Sneed being healthy would have won the game. Can't speculate on JMU.

SubGriz said:
zirge said:

having akem, jlm, toure, olson, etc on the team already, at a fcs program with top attendance, doesn't exactly sound like starting at the bottom. you hauck lovers sure can get overly melodramatic.

I hate to assume one player makes this significant an impact, but honestly a healthy Akem is probably the difference in Montana beating Weber State in the playoffs.
[/quote]

But - Only if Akem can excel in punt team blocking, on the right end. :shock: :shock: :shock:

grizband said:
I hate to assume one player makes this significant an impact, but honestly a healthy Akem is probably the difference in Montana beating Weber State in the playoffs.

But - - - Only if Akem can excel at right defensive end and properly reads the halfback screen play.

argh! said:
SubGriz said:
zirge said:

having akem, jlm, toure, olson, etc on the team already, at a fcs program with top attendance, doesn't exactly sound like starting at the bottom. you hauck lovers sure can get overly melodramatic.
Compared to NDSU, and where we "should" be with all of our recruiting advantages? Yeah, I would say we were a lot closer to the bottom than the top when he took over.

Proud Griz Man said:
grizband said:

But - - - Only if Akem can excel at right defensive end and properly reads the halfback screen play.

or be the o line and keep them not being in the Sneeds lap the entire game

Back