• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Time to Face the Facts: There Ain’t Gonna be Fall Football

Will there be fall football in the Big Sky Conference in 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • No

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Bobcats Suck

Votes: 38 46.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
Well we took COViD to the extreme to save a few lives. Why not the others? They are savable, its a function of what we’re willing to accept as “normal”.

Probably because of the unknowns. But now they realize that masks and social distancing would be the best precautions until there is a vaccine...but you see how many people take that serious. Kind of like how the lack of personal responsibility can lead to vehicle deaths due to impairment, and heart disease due to poor personal life choices, etc. Of course, if people took Covid more seriously, we wouldn't have some people bitching about Covid and extreme measures still...but keep bitching.

Are you running into a lot of people not wearing masks? I feel like when I’m out and about almost everyone I see has one on. Granted some where it like an idiot, take it off to talk, rub their noses with it, then touch everything in sight....but they’re still wearing it!

"Of the 10 states with the most fatalities, the six highest tolls are all in states with Democratic leadership. Republicans run the virus response in states ranked seventh through 10th in this grim lineup." Wa Post.

ilovethecats said:
grizindabox said:
Probably because of the unknowns. But now they realize that masks and social distancing would be the best precautions until there is a vaccine...but you see how many people take that serious. Kind of like how the lack of personal responsibility can lead to vehicle deaths due to impairment, and heart disease due to poor personal life choices, etc. Of course, if people took Covid more seriously, we wouldn't have some people bitching about Covid and extreme measures still...but keep bitching.

Are you running into a lot of people not wearing masks? I feel like when I’m out and about almost everyone I see has one on. Granted some where it like an idiot, take it off to talk, rub their noses with it, then touch everything in sight....but they’re still wearing it!

I spent the better part of the weekend in Idaho, and didn't see many masks at all.

PlayerRep said:
"Of the 10 states with the most fatalities, the six highest tolls are all in states with Democratic leadership. Republicans run the virus response in states ranked seventh through 10th in this grim lineup." Wa Post.

Correlation is not causation, and you know that. Conservative states tend to be more rural and liberal states are generally more urban. Even if you completely remove differences in leadership or public policy, a respiratory virus is going to spread significantly easier in Connecticut than in North Dakota.

Baseball had the best chance of success due to the lack of physical contact and the built-in social distancing on the field. MLB -- with all of its massive financial resources -- couldn't last a week. What makes us think college football (particularly in the fcs where literally EVERY decision made is about reducing expenses to benefit financially on-the-edge programs) will fare better?

What happens when 19 players from a team test positive on a Friday? What happens to the game? What happens to the schedule? How do you crown a champion when one team plays 9 games, one plays 5 and yet another plays 1?

How will programs afford to pay the fixed costs of playing a game without fans? FBS programs can rely on television revenue. What is Portland State or Southern Utah going to rely on?

EverettGriz said:
Baseball had the best chance of success due to the lack of physical contact and the built-in social distancing on the field. MLB -- with all of its massive financial resources -- couldn't last a week. What makes us think college football (particularly in the fcs where literally EVERY decision made is about reducing expenses to benefit financially on-the-edge programs) will fare better?

What happens when 19 players from a team test positive on a Friday? What happens to the game? What happens to the schedule? How do you crown a champion when one team plays 9 games, one plays 5 and yet another plays 1?

How will programs afford to pay the fixed costs of playing a game without fans? FBS programs can rely on television revenue. What is Portland State or Southern Utah going to rely on?

We'll learn a lot from how baseball handles this. They were fully prepared for positive cases. And they fully expect there to be more. How many, and what they can do about it remains to be seen. I did see this morning that they were surprised by the amount of this particular outbreak. When planning, they said they figured an "outbreak" would be something like 8-10 people. This was double that. However, the fact that after two tests none of the Phillies have been positive is a good sign.

The biggest factor is these guys are still in a bubble per se. And they are very low risk themselves so what they do to minimize their contact with other people will be key. This is the biggest difference and toughest challenge these college kids face. Unless they do all of their classes online, a small outbreak could be a big one. That said, they're college kids. Regardless of whether football is played or not, a small outbreak could be a big one. Unless someone has a magical way to keep them from being social!

I’m surprised that the UM administration apparently is still considering having any form of a football season. There are far too many health risks for everyone including players, coaches, staff, students, parents.

HelenaHandBasket said:
ilovethecats said:

I spent the better part of the weekend in Idaho, and didn't see many masks at all.
Man that is crazy. From what I've seen here in Bozeman, I bet I could count the people without masks in public places on one hand. I was downtown this weekend having beers and I don't believe I saw a single person not wearing one. Many were even wearing them outside.

As an aside, I still think that aspect of the mask-wearing mandate is silly. I go to a brewery and don't have to wear one outside. I pop it on right before going in. They sit me down at a table or the bar where I can take it right off again. You know, to be able to eat and drink and stuff. We're really putting a lot of faith in that 20 step walk from door to table! ;)

When I'm going to the lake and stop off in small towns for gas no one is wearing one but I think their counties don't warrant one based on the governors orders.

As an aside, I still think that aspect of the mask-wearing mandate is silly. I go to a brewery and don't have to wear one outside. I pop it on right before going in. They sit me down at a table or the bar where I can take it right off again. You know, to be able to eat and drink and stuff. We're really putting a lot of faith in that 20 step walk from door to table!

I'm a huge mask proponent, but I agree with this. Not a great deal of sense in that.

EverettGriz said:
As an aside, I still think that aspect of the mask-wearing mandate is silly. I go to a brewery and don't have to wear one outside. I pop it on right before going in. They sit me down at a table or the bar where I can take it right off again. You know, to be able to eat and drink and stuff. We're really putting a lot of faith in that 20 step walk from door to table!

I'm a huge mask proponent, but I agree with this. Not a great deal of sense in that.

And to be clear, I wear masks everywhere. I'm not anti-mask. I just find this part funny. I don't know what they can do differently however. The one place I thinks masks would really be helpful would be bars and restaurants. But those are the places you kind of need access to your mouth! So aside from shutting them all down again, which no one wants, I'm fine with it.

BozAngelesGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Correlation is not causation, and you know that. Conservative states tend to be more rural and liberal states are generally more urban. Even if you completely remove differences in leadership or public policy, a respiratory virus is going to spread significantly easier in Connecticut than in North Dakota.

I said nothing about cause or causation. I quoted stats out of a national newspaper.

Why are you blabbering about that? It's just a stat. From reading the mainstream media, would you know that stat? Did you know that stat?

Spanky2 said:
I’m surprised that the UM administration apparently is still considering having any form of a football season. There are far too many health risks for everyone including players, coaches, staff, students, parents.

What are the health risks, or increased health risks, of playing college football?

Why can no one explain exactly what the risks are?

ilovethecats said:
EverettGriz said:

And to be clear, I wear masks everywhere. I'm not anti-mask. I just find this part funny. I don't know what they can do differently however. The one place I thinks masks would really be helpful would be bars and restaurants. But those are the places you kind of need access to your mouth! So aside from shutting them all down again, which no one wants, I'm fine with it.

What restaurants need is good spacing, good circulation and hand sanitizer, as well as the servers wearing a mask and exercising some distancing themselves.

If you come with a group, you are already at risk with that group. So, excluding spread from the group, how would you get the virus if the tables are spread, the circulation is good, and the server has a good mask? I try to stay out of public bathrooms. I usually have sanitizer in my pocket. I suppose I could bring a little bottle of lysol spray too.

Bars are different, unless everyone is seated at spread out tables, and there is no extra interaction.

ilovethecats said:
EverettGriz said:

We'll learn a lot from how baseball handles this. They were fully prepared for positive cases. And they fully expect there to be more. How many, and what they can do about it remains to be seen. I did see this morning that they were surprised by the amount of this particular outbreak. When planning, they said they figured an "outbreak" would be something like 8-10 people. This was double that. However, the fact that after two tests none of the Phillies have been positive is a good sign.

The biggest factor is these guys are still in a bubble per se. And they are very low risk themselves so what they do to minimize their contact with other people will be key. This is the biggest difference and toughest challenge these college kids face. Unless they do all of their classes online, a small outbreak could be a big one. That said, they're college kids. Regardless of whether football is played or not, a small outbreak could be a big one. Unless someone has a magical way to keep them from being social!

Professional players, as well as college players, need to stay out of bars, stay out of groups, and be more careful, or they will ruin their chances of a season, if they have not already done so.

PlayerRep said:
Spanky2 said:

What are the health risks, or increased health risks, of playing college football?

I too am curious about the "far too many" health risks everyone, especially the students and players face. Certainly not death. And a VERY low chance of being hospitalized. This group actually has a pretty low chance of even knowing they're positive.

Which brings us all the way back around to the fact that the only real risk is young people infecting old people. Young people are at almost no risk. Hell, people 44 and younger are barely at any risk.

PlayerRep said:
BozAngelesGriz said:

I said nothing about cause or causation. I quoted stats out of a national newspaper.

Why are you blabbering about that? It's just a stat. From reading the mainstream media, would you know that stat? Did you know that stat?

I guess I’m curious if the relevance of that statistic. What does it prove? Why post it?

PlayerRep said:

doesn't mean much without knowing the populations of the states, and you know it. it seems you really have joined the cult of trump, who ignore the endless lies and exaggerations. thought you were smarter than that, but there you go. this graph shows the states with the biggest increases in cases recently, adjusted for population. other than montana, not too many states run by dems in the worst 20 or so states in this one,:

Place Total reported deaths per 100k New deaths in last 7 days per 100k Pct. change
Texas 21 5 +35%
Montana 5 1 +29%
South Carolina 32 6 +22%
Idaho 9 1 +19%
Florida 31 5 +18%
Arizona 50 7 +16%
Alaska 3 0 +16%
Virgin Islands 8 1 +14%
Puerto Rico 6 1 +14%
Alabama 32 4 +13%
Arkansas 14 2 +13%
Tennessee 15 2 +13%
Oregon 7 1 +12%
Oklahoma 13 1 +11%
Delaware 61 6 +10%
Utah 9 1 +10%
Mississippi 52 5 +10%
North Carolina 18 2 +10%
West Virginia 6 0 +9%
South Dakota 15 1 +8%
California 22 2 +8%
Nevada 26 2 +8%
Georgia 35 2 +7%
Kentucky 16 1 +6%
North Dakota 14 1 +6%
New Mexico 30 2 +6%
Louisiana 83 5 +6%
Kansas 12 1 +6%
Washington 21 1 +5%
Wisconsin 16 1 +5%
Missouri 20 1 +5%
Ohio 29 1 +5%
Iowa 27 1 +4%
Hawaii 2 0 +4%
Wyoming 4 0 +4%
Virginia 25 1 +4%
Nebraska 17 1 +3%
Maine 9 0 +3%
Minnesota 29 1 +2%
Maryland 58 1 +2%
Indiana 44 1 +2%
Colorado 33 1 +2%
New Hampshire 30 1 +2%
Pennsylvania 56 1 +1%
Illinois 60 1 +1%
Rhode Island 95 1 +1%
Massachusetts 125 1 +1%
District of Columbia 85 1 +1%
New Jersey 178 1 +1%
Michigan 64 0

ilovethecats said:
PlayerRep said:

I too am curious about the "far too many" health risks everyone, especially the students and players face. Certainly not death. And a VERY low chance of being hospitalized. This group actually has a pretty low chance of even knowing they're positive.

Which brings us all the way back around to the fact that the only real risk is young people infecting old people. Young people are at almost no risk. Hell, people 44 and younger are barely at any risk.

Someone age 40, died in Billings yesterday.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

doesn't mean much without knowing the populations of the states, and you know it.

New York - 19.4 million
New Jersey - 9.2 million
California - 39.8 million
Illinois - 12.6 million
Pennsylvania - 12.7 million
Michigan - 10 million

Florida - 21.5 million
Texas - 30 million
Ohio - 11.7 million
Arizona - 7.3 million

Estimates of current state populations. Do what you will with it.

Back