• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Time to Face the Facts: There Ain’t Gonna be Fall Football

Will there be fall football in the Big Sky Conference in 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • No

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Bobcats Suck

Votes: 38 46.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
mcg said:
AZGrizFan said:
Again, at some point we, as a society, are going to have to put on our big boy pants and accept the additional .1% chance that something terrible might happen and move on with life.

151,000 and counting.

Ya but how many of those were from car wrecks or gun shots or from falling of a roof? Seriously though, how many of those were actually from heart disease, lung disease, or diabetes? Has ANYONE actually died from just COVID?

AZGrizFan said:
mcg said:
151,000 and counting.

Well hiding in a closet ain't gonna make it go away. You take a risk just getting out of bed in the morning. Personally, I'm willing to take that additional .1% risk and go about living. :thumb: :thumb:

And 330,000+ will die in the US in a car accident like every year. But that doesn't matter.... :coffee:

Well, cats there is almost half of the year left and the US is at 151,000 deaths. Hard to tell but it could come close to 300,000 by year end. Would that be serious in your view?

Spanky2 said:
Well, cats there is almost half of the year left and the US is at 151,000 deaths. Hard to tell but it could come close to 300,000 by year end. Would that be serious in your view?

Not to piss in your Wheaties, but right now, and for the last 4 months, the reported deaths from heart attack (647,457/year in 2017 per CDC) and stroke (146,383) , and lung disease (160,201) are down about 40% each month. Flu and pneumonia are separately reported, not counted in lung disease. At 954,041 annually, or 79,503 per month, 40% is 31,801 per month. Over 4 months that's 127, 205 deaths. Where did the deaths go? Did people stop dying from these diseases? No, they are now reported as covid deaths. Fact is the same death rates from these primary causes of death are still there, they are now reported as due to covid for political and monetary gain.

Stated another way, covid appears to have only caused 24,000 deaths over the normal expected deaths during the first 7 months of this year in these virus affected organs. Just about what you would expect in the first 7 months from the seasonal flu. The panic first industry has mislead half the people in this country into becoming so twisted up they want to give up their freedoms, hide inside, and give up their neighbors' freedoms, by canceling everything else. The facts on the averages don't lie. Politicians, drug companies, media, and fortune seekers do, and ala PT Barnum, have found more suckers in this country than they every dreamed possible. The Chinese and Russians are ROLOL at the hysteria here.

ilovethecats said:
get'em_griz said:
There will be fall football.

If they don’t play in the fall, they won’t play in the spring either. COVID will still be here.

Either play this fall or not at all until fall 2021.

I can say with 1000% certainty that as of yesterday the athletic directors in the Big Sky were planning on football this fall. They're busting their asses to make that happen. Fans are another story, but those haven't been ruled out yet either. Obviously things change.

I also agree that if not played in fall, they won't be played in spring. That'd be a nightmare for many reasons, but it sounds like the biggest factor is the players. Many would rather not play at all and just try again next fall.

But who are we kidding. If people are so freaked out now, and think there is no chance of these kids playing because it's too dangerous, then why would we be so confident this spring? People must really be banking on a vaccine, and one that works better than any vaccine ever has. Because this virus is sticking around.

Has any athlete, college or pro, that has acquired the virus died? How many have even been hospitalized? Are we still pretending all these measures are just about not overwhelming hospitals?

My understanding is that the main concern is the health of older or unhealthy people who may be impacted by not being able to attend games, or Impacted even by watching games that are streamed or on tv. Obviously, if there is no football, no player will get Covid anywhere else and won’t be able to infect any older or unhealthy person or anyone else.

Jeez, listen to the science. Put your mask back on.

grizfan1984 said:
Yep spring season will not work ncaa will not allow 2 seasons in a year because injury risk from not enough down time so fall of 2021 it is. My questions though is if we decide to play will any of the players want to play (they polled Portland state players and they would rather not play) also I’ve heard rumblings of a few Griz players not wanting to play, so if we have a season will there be players who opt out? Okay next question say we move football to next fall and say the whole team decides to come back will the NCAA even allow the players to come back on scholarship for another year? Being the NCAA and FBS appearing to be a go will the NCAA try to screw the FCS teams? On to the next all the players come back then what happens to our 2021 recruiting class? There is 4 guys committed already, will Bobby have to cut guys to make room for any incoming recruits? 2021 was going to be a huge class and it would screw with our future if we can’t recruit a whole class. Will the NCAA allow us to have extra scholarships to give out to the class of 2021 and let us expand the roster?

Any spring season would likely be shortened. Any playoffs would be shortened. 4 weeks of spring ball and 3 scrimmages would not occur. The next fall season could be shortened.

Who says there will be more injuries if there are two seasons in a year? Or more than 2 injuries and 2 normal seasons and spring ball.

AZGrizFan said:
ilovethecats said:
I can say with 1000% certainty that as of yesterday the athletic directors in the Big Sky were planning on football this fall. They're busting their asses to make that happen. Fans are another story, but those haven't been ruled out yet either. Obviously things change.

I also agree that if not played in fall, they won't be played in spring. That'd be a nightmare for many reasons, but it sounds like the biggest factor is the players. Many would rather not play at all and just try again next fall.

But who are we kidding. If people are so freaked out now, and think there is no chance of these kids playing because it's too dangerous, then why would we be so confident this spring? People must really be banking on a vaccine, and one that works better than any vaccine ever has. Because this virus is sticking around.

Has any athlete, college or pro, that has acquired the virus died? How many have even been hospitalized? Are we still pretending all these measures are just about not overwhelming hospitals?

Again, at some point we, as a society, are going to have to put on our big boy pants and accept the additional .1% chance that something terrible might happen and move on with life.

This will occur in November if Trump loses. The media and Dems will declare the pandemic over. And they will take credit for the vaccines that come later in the year.

AZGrizFan said:
mcg said:
151,000 and counting.

Well hiding in a closet ain't gonna make it go away. You take a risk just getting out of bed in the morning. Personally, I'm willing to take that additional .1% risk and go about living. :thumb: :thumb:

What about this risk? College kid comes home due to no football and no school. Goes out in bars occasionally. One day his mom asks him to go find grandpa, and see if he’s hiding in the closet again. Grandpa gets infected. Would never had occurred if grandson was in college playing football.

We should have a good idea what’s going to happen early next week. Something tells me my shot gun is going to be in use a lot of Saturday’s this fall.

horribilisfan8184 said:
Spanky2 said:

Not to piss in your Wheaties, but right now, and for the last 4 months, the reported deaths from heart attack (647,457/year in 2017 per CDC) and stroke (146,383) , and lung disease (160,201) are down about 40% each month. Flu and pneumonia are separately reported, not counted in lung disease. At 954,041 annually, or 79,503 per month, 40% is 31,801 per month. Over 4 months that's 127, 205 deaths. Where did the deaths go? Did people stop dying from these diseases? No, they are now reported as covid deaths. Fact is the same death rates from these primary causes of death are still there, they are now reported as due to covid for political and monetary gain.

Stated another way, covid appears to have only caused 24,000 deaths over the normal expected deaths during the first 7 months of this year in these virus affected organs. Just about what you would expect in the first 7 months from the seasonal flu. The panic first industry has mislead half the people in this country into becoming so twisted up they want to give up their freedoms, hide inside, and give up their neighbors' freedoms, by canceling everything else. The facts on the averages don't lie. Politicians, drug companies, media, and fortune seekers do, and ala PT Barnum, have found more suckers in this country than they every dreamed possible. The Chinese and Russians are ROLOL at the hysteria here.

So you are saying that they have finally found a cure for those diseases, and it’s Covid?

Whatever direction the higher ups choose to proceed, home Griz game days will not be the same as we all have experienced. This year and probably next year at a minimum, WA-GRIZ will be nothing like we are used to and that is the best case scenario.

alabamagrizzly said:
mcg said:
151,000 and counting.

Ya but how many of those were from car wrecks or gun shots or from falling of a roof? Seriously though, how many of those were actually from heart disease, lung disease, or diabetes? Has ANYONE actually died from just COVID?

Yes. And sometimes it hits closer than you think.

horribilisfan8184 said:
Spanky2 said:

[citations needed]

horribilisfan8184 said:
Spanky2 said:

And THAT, as they say, is the ballgame. Either that, or COVID magically cures all those other ills. :lol:

Spanky2 said:

Well it depends. If it goes the exact way it has for 6 months then it MIGHT total car accident deaths EVERY year. Do you consider car accidents serious? Are you willing to keep adjusting your life until these deaths go way down?

Next, they won’t get as high as car accident deaths. Or heart disease deaths. Or pneumonia deaths. Or cancer deaths.

Finally, as horribilis astutely pointed out, those 151,000 deaths are likely overblown. That, or we’ve suddenly found a cure for all those ailments as they are all down in regards of death. You don’t find that odd? Lol.

So to answer your question, I’d consider it serious. Like I consider cancer and suicide serious. Or heart disease and car accidents. All serious, all result in deaths which sucks. But no, I won’t consider this virus MORE serious if that’s what you’re asking. Especially when it’ll result in fewer deaths than we see from the others every single year.

Yes, a car accident death all but destroyed me and my family.
Maybe you have the right attitude about the virus, cats. As my old rancher step dad used to say “I’ve got to cogitate about it”

PlayerRep said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

So you are saying that they have finally found a cure for those diseases, and it’s Covid?

It would certainly appear that way, wouldn’t it?

Spanky2 said:
Yes, a car accident death all but destroyed me and my family.
Maybe you have the right attitude about the virus, cats. As my old rancher step dad used to say “I’ve got to cogitate about it”

Love that spanky! Sorry to hear about your accident. In light of that I gotta say I’m surprised on your stance on this virus. Even if you’re 80 you are still more likely to die driving to the hospital for a Covid test than you are from Covid.

Lots of stuff can kill us. And lots of things do every day, week, month and year. And many of these things will kill far more than Covid will. But it doesn’t get the attention. That’s odd to me.

I hope I’m right too!

ilovethecats said:
AZGrizFan said:

And 330,000+ will die in the US in a car accident like every year. But that doesn't matter.... :coffee:

Uh...I think you dropped a decimal point bro. It’s more like 38,000-40,000 annually....

Let me ask this. How can someone prevent dying in an auto accident? How can someone prevent dying from a heart attack? How can someone prevent dying from the flu? How can someone prevent dying from Covid?

Back