• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Pre Season Polls

Why does everything think Rovig is a pocket passing statue? He rushed for 350 yard and 10 TDs his senior year of high school, and he makes a ton of throws on the run. I mean compared to Murray and Andersen, uh yea he's a statue.

nzone said:
I will say this tho...last November UM literally knocked the shit out the cats for 3 quarters but took way to many plays off during critical times in the 4th quarter. That will change this year. We have better depth and players won’t be taking plays off.

Go Griz!

We were up 22-7 after three quarters, but MSU had been outplaying us since midway thru the second quarter and was on our goal line as the third quarter ended.

When we went up 22-0, we had a a 228-55 edge in yardage and were literally knocking the shit out of them. Over the next 2.5 quarters MSU outscored us 29-3 and outgained us 332-226.

RobertoGato said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
RobertoGato said:
CDAGRIZ said:
There we go. There it is. Shhh-shhh-shhhh-shhh-shh.

Seriously? I said this quite a ways back.

This is really good stuff! (I'm referring to the discussion about improved quarterback play for the Cats, not the air quality of any public venue in Colorado, of course).

Who did the Cats pick up during the offseason that can actually catch a damn ball! Nobody. So to placate the online Sunday Morning Armchair Quarterbacks who want to see bullshit spread formation offense, they think taking a kid fresh off shoulder surgery and putting him on the field as a linebacker is going to fix their defense and a unanamous All-Conference quarterback--same kid--will see an improvement in dropped balls by receivers this year. Yeah. Right.

If you're trying to talk trash about the Cats, it needs to actually be coherent enough for people to know what you're trying to say. Otherwise, the insults kind of fall flat...
RobertoDuranDuranGato,
Holy shit it’s come full circle. Mr. Pot, it is my pleasure to introduce you to the esteemed Mr. Kettle.
Earlier in this very thread, you said this:

you're so secure that you need to chastise other Griz fans who don't have the same assumption.
It’s impressive how dumb you made yourself look through this endeavor. Next level stuff.

I actually think that’s the most coherent post CatsRcrap has ever made. And he raises a good point. Do you guys have high level WRs and depth? Or any? Do you even have a TE? Can any of them accomplish this modern phenomenon the kids are calling a forward pass?

Also, got a question for you, and I know how to get this thread back on course to 17.
Who’s your backup QB? I think RSBV is going to get killed; probably won’t make it out of the first quarter at TT.
So if you don’t believe in RSBV, certainly to be so confident you must have faith in one of the backup’s backup, right? Who did you “spend months” praying to replace RSBV?

CatzWillRise said:
Why does everything think Rovig is a pocket passing statue? He rushed for 350 yard and 10 TDs his senior year of high school, and he makes a ton of throws on the run. I mean compared to Murray and Andersen, uh yea he's a statue.

You kind of answered your own question. I'm not saying he's a statue, but in comparison to Murray or Andersen, he won't make the QB run game a serious weapon for the offense.

garizzalies said:
RobertoGato said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
RobertoGato said:

This is really good stuff! (I'm referring to the discussion about improved quarterback play for the Cats, not the air quality of any public venue in Colorado, of course).

Who did the Cats pick up during the offseason that can actually catch a damn ball! Nobody. So to placate the online Sunday Morning Armchair Quarterbacks who want to see bullshit spread formation offense, they think taking a kid fresh off shoulder surgery and putting him on the field as a linebacker is going to fix their defense and a unanamous All-Conference quarterback--same kid--will see an improvement in dropped balls by receivers this year. Yeah. Right.

If you're trying to talk trash about the Cats, it needs to actually be coherent enough for people to know what you're trying to say. Otherwise, the insults kind of fall flat...
RobertoDuranDuranGato,
Holy shit it’s come full circle. Mr. Pot, it is my pleasure to introduce you to the esteemed Mr. Kettle.

you're so secure that you need to chastise other Griz fans who don't have the same assumption.
It’s impressive how dumb you made yourself look through this endeavor. Next level stuff.

I actually think that’s the most coherent post CatsRcrap has ever made. And he raises a good point. Do you guys have high level WRs and depth? Or any? Do you even have a TE? Can any of them accomplish this modern phenomenon the kids are calling a forward pass?

Also, got a question for you, and I know how to get this thread back on course to 17.
Who’s your backup QB? I think RSBV is going to get killed; probably won’t make it out of the first quarter at TT.
So if you don’t believe in RSBV, certainly to be so confident you must have faith in one of the backup’s backup, right? Who did you “spend months” praying to replace RSBV?

It's astounding how badly you misunderstand pretty simple posts. Not that it matters. I could say basically anything and you'd come back with CAts aRe bAD aNd YOUR dumB... because you're trying to make yourself feel better about a losing streak.

RobertoGato said:
garizzalies said:
RobertoGato said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

RobertoDuranDuranGato,

It's astounding how badly you misunderstand pretty simple posts. Not that it matters. I could say basically anything and you'd come back with CAts aRe bAD aNd YOUR dumB... because you're trying to make yourself feel better about a losing streak.
16 is a losing streak; 3, not so much.

kemajic said:
RobertoGato said:
garizzalies said:
RobertoGato said:
RobertoDuranDuranGato,

16 is a losing streak; 3, not so much.

So 3 losses in the Brawl not a streak and Griz lost because they took plays off. Got it.

Roberto you have beat the worse Montana football teams fielded since 2015 when we lost in the quarter finals. The 16 game streak started in 1986 ending in 2002. during that time Montana played in 27 post season games winning 2 national championships and runner up twice. Losing in the semi's twice. We were a dominant program deserving of national attention. So if you want to boast about beating us 3 times in a row so be it but until you turn that into consistently playing and winning in the post season you are a mediocre team who finds success beating another mediocre team.

RobertoGato said:
garizzalies said:
RobertoGato said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

RobertoDuranDuranGato,

It's astounding how badly you misunderstand pretty simple posts.
What in your post do you think I misunderstood? Seriously, I don’t even know what you’re talking about?

RobertoGato said:
CDAGRIZ said:
RobertoGato said:
CDAGRIZ said:
See, I think the Bob passing game was decent last year as a factor of the QB run game. On balance, I don’t think QB play will be better for the Bobs this year, but it’s not obvious, and idiots could see it either way. Prediction.

The passing game was almost completely helpless for almost all of last season. There is no sense in which it was decent if considered on the balance of the whole year. Perhaps you feel that way in part because Andersen's game against UM and the PO win against Incarnate Word were fairly efficient. But they are not representative of his season as a whole at all.

I am also unsure as to whether the QB position will be better or worse overall in 2019. But the passing offense in particular will be better. That's my opinion, based mostly on the extreme limitations Troy Andersen had as a passer for most of 2018.

Whether that improvement will be enough to offset not having the best athlete in the BSC running for 1400 yards and 23 touchdowns, I don't know. I'm highly skeptical.

And I wrote this on page 3:

"Per game prediction:
-Slightly better passing yardage/TD numbers
-More INTs (thems are turnovers)
-More sacks allowed
-Much worse QB rushing"

Note that I didn't assert that it's obvious and that any idiot can see the passing game will be better, and then base that assertion solely on the fact that the Bobs expect to pass more. I think the Bobs will pass more, but that doesn't mean the passing game will "obviously" be better. This is especially true given the personnel available to do the passing and catching.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
RobertoGato said:
CDAGRIZ said:
RobertoGato said:
The passing game was almost completely helpless for almost all of last season. There is no sense in which it was decent if considered on the balance of the whole year. Perhaps you feel that way in part because Andersen's game against UM and the PO win against Incarnate Word were fairly efficient. But they are not representative of his season as a whole at all.

I am also unsure as to whether the QB position will be better or worse overall in 2019. But the passing offense in particular will be better. That's my opinion, based mostly on the extreme limitations Troy Andersen had as a passer for most of 2018.

Whether that improvement will be enough to offset not having the best athlete in the BSC running for 1400 yards and 23 touchdowns, I don't know. I'm highly skeptical.

Great points. Are we to believe that if the Bobs had a group of fantastic receivers/TEs last season, the staff would have been dumb enough not to get them the ball? Same guys this year, right?

nzone said:
Roberto you have beat the worse Montana football teams fielded since 2015 when we lost in the quarter finals. The 16 game streak started in 1986 ending in 2002. during that time Montana played in 27 post season games winning 2 national championships and runner up twice. Losing in the semi's twice. We were a dominant program deserving of national attention. So if you want to boast about beating us 3 times in a row so be it but until you turn that into consistently playing and winning in the post season you are a mediocre team who finds success beating another mediocre team.

I generally agree with almost everything you say here. On balance, MSU has been basically mediocre for the better part of three seasons now. I have hope for better things and think there's some basis for that with the step they took last year, but it hasn't happened yet.

But three is still a "streak" in the way that people generally use the term. It's a much shorter one than 16. But saying it isn't a streak is like saying "you didn't really 'win' because you beat the other team by 3 and not 21." That's stupid.

I'm obviously happy about a 3 game winning streak but I'm not thumping my chest as though it's utter dominance. But it has clearly gotten into the heads of some of the posters around here based on the way they're lashing out, which is amusing to say the least.

RobertoGato said:
nzone said:

I generally agree with almost everything you say here. On balance, MSU has been basically mediocre for the better part of three seasons now. I have hope for better things and think there's some basis for that with the step they took last year, but it hasn't happened yet.

But three is still a "streak" in the way that people generally use the term. It's a much shorter one than 16. But saying it isn't a streak is like saying "you didn't really 'win' because you beat the other team by 3 and not 21." That's stupid.

I'm obviously happy about a 3 game winning streak but I'm not thumping my chest as though it's utter dominance. But it has clearly gotten into the heads of some of the posters around here based on the way they're lashing out, which is amusing to say the least.

With the constant long threads centering on MSU this off season, I will say that you are right-on about clearly getting into the heads of the posters on here. I don't put much stock in pre-season polls but it is an indication that the Cats have some good things happening with their program.

Rank the following in terms of who's in whose heads:

-Griz fans responding to Bob fans on eGriz.
-Cat fans monitoring the quantity, length, and topics of threads on eGriz.

It's not the only argument there is, but it's the only one I need.

CDAGRIZ said:
Rank the following in terms of who's in whose heads:

-Griz fans responding to Bob fans on eGriz.
-Cat fans monitoring the quantity, length, and topics of threads on eGriz.

It's not the only argument there is, but it's the only one I need.

definitely not your worst argument CDA... :coffee:

I think the shit pond reached its high-water mark last year, and the Choach-leds will take a step back, particularly if they don’t get the QB figured out and it takes them half the season to realize they have to move the LB’er back there, and the new DC has a learning curve. I very well could be wrong. Who knows; it’s early.
I’m not as skeptical as the King in the North (Sask). I actually think their record will be similar to last year but that will be more a function of the schedule as opposed to actual improvement. They may beat the Griz again and may even win a PO game, but once they play a real team, the wheels will come off again and they will get exposed big time (like SDSU and uNDSU). There is no way they can beat a good PO team without a legit QB. So basically, given Choaches’ stellar history with QBs, they are losing ground and the Griz are catching them. After all that, after years of the Griz finally sucking, sanctions, scholly reducts, horrible coach hires, etc, and what do the cats really have to show for it? They still got the same ole rusty bleachers.
Remember all that “trajectory” and “trending” talk? What if MSU #plateaued? What if the Peter Principal is in effect because after 4 years Choach still can’t find a QB for that janky O? From that perspective, we’re closer to a deep run than they are.
I guess I would be defensive and act like a jackass too if I were you guys, knowing last year was the apex of Cat football and the slide back is starting.

garizzalies said:
I think the shit pond reached its high-water mark last year, and the Choach-leds will take a step back, particularly if they don’t get the QB figured out and it takes them half the season to realize they have to move the LB’er back there, and the new DC has a learning curve. I very well could be wrong. Who knows; it’s early.
I’m not as skeptical as the King in the North (Sask). I actually think their record will be similar to last year but that will be more a function of the schedule as opposed to actual improvement. They may beat the Griz again and may even win a PO game, but once they play a real team, the wheels will come off again and they will get exposed big time (like SDSU and uNDSU). There is no way they can beat a good PO team without a legit QB. So basically, given Choaches’ stellar history with QBs, they are losing ground and the Griz are catching them. After all that, after years of the Griz finally sucking, sanctions, scholly reducts, horrible coach hires, etc, and what do the cats really have to show for it? They still got the same ole rusty bleachers.
Remember all that “trajectory” and “trending” talk? What if MSU #plateaued? What if the Peter Principal is in effect because after 4 years Choach still can’t find a QB for that janky O? From that perspective, we’re closer to a deep run than they are.
I guess I would be defensive and act like a jackass too if I were you guys, knowing last year was the apex of Cat football and the slide back is starting.

I can't disagree. I know this much: If there is a step back, it will not be Choach's fault. They will have been very good and poised to make a deep run, if only ____________.

(a) There was more consistency in the staff
(b) Murray hadn't flunked out, so they had an experienced QB
(c) Scapegoat yet to be named
(d) All of the above

From a job security standpoint, Choach has to be licking his chops. He has year 4 set up perfectly.

garizzalies said:
RobertoGato said:
garizzalies said:
RobertoGato said:
RobertoDuranDuranGato,

It's astounding how badly you misunderstand pretty simple posts.
What in your post do you think I misunderstood? Seriously, I don’t even know what you’re talking about?

We finally agree.

bigsky33 said:
RobertoGato said:
nzone said:

With the constant long threads centering on MSU this off season, I will say that you are right-on about clearly getting into the heads of the posters on here. I don't put much stock in pre-season polls but it is an indication that the Cats have some good things happening with their program.

In general, I think it's stupid how both sides argue about which side cares more about the other. It's obvious that both sides care about what's going on with the opposition... as with any rivalry. BN talks a lot of Griz and EG talks a lot of Cats.

But yeah, blustering idiots like Garrizallies are fun to mess with because they're so over the top. He seems like he's trying to convince himself that absolutely everything will go wrong for the Cats because that's his little fever dream.

RobertoGato said:
bigsky33 said:
RobertoGato said:
nzone said:

In general, I think it's stupid how both sides argue about which side cares more about the other. It's obvious that both sides care about what's going on with the opposition... as with any rivalry. BN talks a lot of Griz and EG talks a lot of Cats.

I agree with this. There definitely seems to be a ton of arguing about which side cares more about the other here on eGriz. It’s just unfair.

Back