• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Pre Season Polls

garizzalies said:
I think the shit pond reached its high-water mark last year, and the Choach-leds will take a step back, particularly if they don’t get the QB figured out and it takes them half the season to realize they have to move the LB’er back there, and the new DC has a learning curve. I very well could be wrong. Who knows; it’s early.
I’m not as skeptical as the King in the North (Sask). I actually think their record will be similar to last year but that will be more a function of the schedule as opposed to actual improvement. They may beat the Griz again and may even win a PO game, but once they play a real team, the wheels will come off again and they will get exposed big time (like SDSU and uNDSU). There is no way they can beat a good PO team without a legit QB. So basically, given Choaches’ stellar history with QBs, they are losing ground and the Griz are catching them. After all that, after years of the Griz finally sucking, sanctions, scholly reducts, horrible coach hires, etc, and what do the cats really have to show for it? They still got the same ole rusty bleachers.
Remember all that “trajectory” and “trending” talk? What if MSU #plateaued? What if the Peter Principal is in effect because after 4 years Choach still can’t find a QB for that janky O? From that perspective, we’re closer to a deep run than they are.
I guess I would be defensive and act like a jackass too if I were you guys, knowing last year was the apex of Cat football and the slide back is starting.

Hee hee, sounds like a lot of wishful thinking.

As long as Choate stays, we aren't going to be sliding backwards. Choate has the "it" factor whether you want to believe it or not. There has been a remarkable culture shift within the program, not to mention a significant upgrade in talent. The mental and physical toughness that exists within the program now can't be denied.

poorgriz said:
garizzalies said:
I think the shit pond reached its high-water mark last year, and the Choach-leds will take a step back, particularly if they don’t get the QB figured out and it takes them half the season to realize they have to move the LB’er back there, and the new DC has a learning curve. I very well could be wrong. Who knows; it’s early.
I’m not as skeptical as the King in the North (Sask). I actually think their record will be similar to last year but that will be more a function of the schedule as opposed to actual improvement. They may beat the Griz again and may even win a PO game, but once they play a real team, the wheels will come off again and they will get exposed big time (like SDSU and uNDSU). There is no way they can beat a good PO team without a legit QB. So basically, given Choaches’ stellar history with QBs, they are losing ground and the Griz are catching them. After all that, after years of the Griz finally sucking, sanctions, scholly reducts, horrible coach hires, etc, and what do the cats really have to show for it? They still got the same ole rusty bleachers.
Remember all that “trajectory” and “trending” talk? What if MSU #plateaued? What if the Peter Principal is in effect because after 4 years Choach still can’t find a QB for that janky O? From that perspective, we’re closer to a deep run than they are.
I guess I would be defensive and act like a jackass too if I were you guys, knowing last year was the apex of Cat football and the slide back is starting.

As long as Choate stays, we aren't going to be sliding backwards. Choate has the "it" factor whether you want to believe it or not. There has been a remarkable culture shift within the program, not to mention a significant upgrade in talent. The mental and physical toughness that exists within the program now can't be denied.

Or measured.

Perfectly in line with The Plan. When the base thinks you're incredible, but doesn't expect fantastic results, we call that the Sweet Spot. It can last 3-4 seasons if you've done it right, and Choach has. His execution thus far has been like getting to watch Picasso paint.

CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:
garizzalies said:

Or measured.

Perfectly in line with The Plan. When the base thinks you're incredible, but doesn't expect fantastic results, we call that the Sweet Spot. It can last 3-4 seasons if you've done it right, and Choach has. His execution thus far has been like getting to watch Picasso paint.

Oh it can be measured. Looking at the last three brawls, MSU took over the games and were simply tougher than um physically and mentally. Especially last year, with the last play being a perfect shining example of that. I do think Hauck will instill that toughness into your program but he's a couple years behind Choate.

poorgriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:
garizzalies said:

Or measured.

Oh it can be measured. Looking at the last three brawls, MSU took over the games and were simply tougher than um physically and mentally. Especially last year, with the last play being a perfect shining example of that. I do think Hauck will instill that toughness into your program but he's a couple years behind Choate.

Actually you missed the entire point. It is not the physicality of the Cats that is the problem (including some of the previous coaching staffs activities). Instead it is the skill positions where Choate has whiffed. Hauck already has the skills players and is winning the recruiting battle for Montana talent. He took a injury riddled and young team to the last play of the game against the Cats and in year 1 of his return. That game could have easily gone the other way (congrats to the Cats that it did not). Trajectory after year three for Hauck is much better than Choate’s. Seriously - how in the heck can he not get a serviceable QB? Downright ridiculous for a D1 program. Got so bad he started going after Griz players who did not want to compete at QB.

poorgriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:
garizzalies said:

Or measured.

I stand corrected on the measurement. I think it was 90 Physical Toughs for UM, but only 36 Mental Toughs. The Chronicle reported 92 PTs and 32 MTs for MSU in that game. We want to get it over 100 PTs and 40 MTs at at The University of Montana for 2019. I’m sure Hauck is watching these numbers as closely as Choach has convinced the base to.

CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:
garizzalies said:

Or measured.

This is such a weird narrative/obsession for you guys.

For starters, while I'm sure that Choate homers exist who believe that he's perfect, most of the Cat fans I know are pretty open about his pros and cons.

And secondly, the reason most Cat fans have generally been happy with him would be the obvious-- progress on the field. 4-7 (2-6 BSC) > 5-6 (5-3 BSC) > 8-5 (5-3 BSC). That's measurable progress.

RobertoGato said:
CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:
garizzalies said:

Or measured.

For starters, while I'm sure that Choate homers exist who believe that he's perfect, most of the Cat fans I know are pretty open about his pros and cons.

And secondly, the reason most Cat fans have generally been happy with him would be the obvious-- progress on the field. 4-7 (2-6 BSC) > 5-6 (5-3 BSC) > 8-5 (5-3 BSC). That's measurable progress.

CDA just likes to make himself feel good. I know many, many Cat fans and none that I know think Choate is incredible. They are happy with his recruiting and the progresss he has made and the fact that the program is going in a very good direction. Choate owning the Griz has got into his head big time. :lol: :lol:

RobertoGato said:
CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:
garizzalies said:

Or measured.

But how many PTs and MTs?

CDAGRIZ said:
RobertoGato said:
CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:

Or measured.

I get what you're saying-- that physical and mental thoughness is hard to measure-- but there is a lot to Choate's progress that is measurable. This story Griz fans have told themselves, that Cat fans have blind, baseless devotion to Choate because of his press conferences or something, is ridiculous.

He's risen in the estimation of the fan base as he has won more games.

RobertoGato said:
CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:
garizzalies said:

Or measured.

Personally, I would credit a lot of that improvement to one Troy Anderson. It will be interesting to see if the improvement continues after he's gone.

RobertoGato said:
CDAGRIZ said:
RobertoGato said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Or measured.

I get what you're saying-- that physical and mental thoughness is hard to measure-- but there is a lot to Choate's progress that is measurable. This story Griz fans have told themselves, that Cat fans have blind, baseless devotion to Choate because of his press conferences or something, is ridiculous.

He's risen in the estimation of the fan base as he has won more games.

Interesting. Can I get a hallelujah?

In all seriousness I agree that expectations are at an all time high. I hope Choach didn’t peak too early. He was definitely safer at 6-5 last year, but the Griz has to foul it up after the tardy timeout. Then, he couldn’t just lose to whatever high school he played in the first round; too obvious. Classic case of one play costing you two games and perhaps giving the base too much too soon. He will get it back on track.

RobertoGato said:
CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:
garizzalies said:

Or measured.

The real obsession should be with the Eags. They are doing something very right in Cheney. Terrible facilities in the middle of damn nowhere. Red field that is awful, but they are winning and competitive. They own the BSC. MSU is a middle of the pack team after how many years of Choate? The guy is playing shuffle the deck with his coaching staff and he can’t even recruit a serviceable QB (Anderson is impressive, but not a QB and I think Ash recruited him). Physical - yep. So were Cliff’s teams. Chiara better start getting some skill players.

Copper Griz said:
RobertoGato said:
CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:

Or measured.

The real obsession should be with the Eags. They are doing something very right in Cheney. Terrible facilities in the middle of damn nowhere. Red field that is awful, but they are winning and competitive. They own the BSC. MSU is a middle of the pack team after how many years of Choate? The guy is playing shuffle the deck with his coaching staff and he can’t even recruit a serviceable QB (Anderson is impressive, but not a QB and I think Ash recruited him). Physical - yep. So were Cliff’s teams. Chiara better start getting some skill players.

What the Eagles are doing "right" is being the only FCS program in a state of 8 million people while also having almost zero academic standards.

Some of the Choate criticisms are valid-- especially the QB issue. But his team has made clear progress each season. If he does that again in 2019, then a lot of the shortcomings don't matter. Winning does.

kemajic said:
RobertoGato said:
CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:

Or measured.

Personally, I would credit a lot of that improvement to one Troy Anderson. It will be interesting to see if the improvement continues after he's gone.

He is certainly a big part of it. Of course, any coach's improvement is going to have a lot to with his best recruits.

RobertoGato said:
Copper Griz said:
RobertoGato said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Or measured.

What the Eagles are doing "right" is being the only FCS program in a state of 8 million people while also having almost zero academic standards.

Some of the Choate criticisms are valid-- especially the QB issue. But his team has made clear progress each season. If he does that again in 2019, then a lot of the shortcomings don't matter. Winning does.

Then why are there so many kids from California on their roster. Their team should be 100% from Washington State if the 8 million made such a huge difference. All those MSU drops downs from U of W should have transferred to EWU I guess? Did not do a deep search but US News and World Report college rankings below. Additionally, Big Sky All Academic for 2018 lists 36 EWU football players with a broad mix of degrees. MSU - 18 and they also had a broad mix. Granted the rankings are national vs regional and you can probably pull stats from numerous other sites that list MSU as a top ranked school compared to EWU. My point is not as much for comparison purposes, as it is to point out that EWU paper would get a kid a job just as well as most schools. Their academic standards are likely in line with every other BSC School. Furthermore, I don't think the majority of MSU football players are attending MSU because they are worried solely about their education. I would say that is the same case for most football programs. Your comments point to a superiority complex that MSU has going right now as it pertains to academics. I guess Chris Murray should have attended EWU?

2019 Rankings

Montana State University is ranked #205 in National Universities. Schools are ranked according to their performance across a set of widely accepted indicators of excellence.

#205 (tie) in National Universities

#195 (tie) in High School Counselor Rankings

#112 (tie) in Top Public Schools

#235 (tie) in Business Programs

#146 (tie) in Engineering Programs (doctorate)
At schools whose highest degree is a doctorate

2019 Rankings

Eastern Washington University is ranked #77 in Regional Universities West. Schools are ranked according to their performance across a set of widely accepted indicators of excellence.

#77 (tie) in Regional Universities West

#24 (tie) in Top Public Schools

#117 (tie) in Engineering Programs (no doctorate)
At schools where doctorate not offered

#350 (tie) in Business Programs

Copper Griz said:
RobertoGato said:
Copper Griz said:
RobertoGato said:

Then why are there so many kids from California on their roster. Their team should be 100% from Washington State if the 8 million made such a huge difference. All those MSU drops downs from U of W should have transferred to EWU I guess? Did not do a deep search but US News and World Report college rankings below. Additionally, Big Sky All Academic for 2018 lists 36 EWU football players with a broad mix of degrees. MSU - 18 and they also had a broad mix. Granted the rankings are national vs regional and you can probably pull stats from numerous other sites that list MSU as a top ranked school compared to EWU. My point is not as much for comparison purposes, as it is to point out that EWU paper would get a kid a job just as well as most schools. Their academic standards are likely in line with every other BSC School. Furthermore, I don't think the majority of MSU football players are attending MSU because they are worried solely about their education. I would say that is the same case for most football programs. Your comments point to a superiority complex that MSU has going right now as it pertains to academics. I guess Chris Murray should have attended EWU?

2019 Rankings

Montana State University is ranked #205 in National Universities. Schools are ranked according to their performance across a set of widely accepted indicators of excellence.

#205 (tie) in National Universities

#195 (tie) in High School Counselor Rankings

#112 (tie) in Top Public Schools

#235 (tie) in Business Programs

#146 (tie) in Engineering Programs (doctorate)
At schools whose highest degree is a doctorate

2019 Rankings

Eastern Washington University is ranked #77 in Regional Universities West. Schools are ranked according to their performance across a set of widely accepted indicators of excellence.

#77 (tie) in Regional Universities West

#24 (tie) in Top Public Schools

#117 (tie) in Engineering Programs (no doctorate)
At schools where doctorate not offered

#350 (tie) in Business Programs

No. No team has 100% in state kids. That's stupid.

EW is 70% Washington kids. That's a lot. UM, by comparison, is just under 50%. And the pool that they draw their in state players from is much, much deeper. Even after UW and WSU and the odd out of state program pluck to the cream of their crop, their talent pool is much larger than MT's and they aren't splitting that pool with another in-state FCS program.

UW drop downs are choosing MSU because Choate has connections there. He is attempting to build his program in the image of Chris Petersen's. So some players who like UW but aren't quite good enough to play there are choosing MSU as a logical drop down.

I am not comparing the quality of degrees upon completion or even quality of degree programs. I don't know anything about that. I am comparing the standards for entry. To the best of my knowledge, EW's are low.

They've had good coaches and have done a good job. I'm not trying to say they just haplessly fall backwards into success. But their in state recruiting grounds and, if I'm correct, low academic standards of entry, are undeniable advantages that have helped fuel their success.

[media]https://twitter.com/craighaley/status/1144315725743628289?s=21[/media]

Hmmm...

Only took me a half hour to vote 175 times.

bgbigdog said:
[media]https://twitter.com/craighaley/status/1144315725743628289?s=21[/media]

Hmmm...

Only took me a half hour to vote 175 times.

What? Am I missing something here. Why are they ranked 25th? Aren't they preseason champs again? Confused.

I don't understand why some Griz fans can't accept that the Cats have improved, are pretty good, and Choate is at least a pretty good coach. We will see if the Cats have a qb this year.

I thought the Griz would beat the Cats last year. Close, but no cigar.

While I have little or no basis for saying this, I think the Griz will be very good this year.

I also believe the Cats will be good. A good MT sportswriter told me recently that he agrees on both points.

PlayerRep said:
I don't understand why some Griz fans can't accept that the Cats have improved, are pretty good, and Choate is at least a pretty good coach. We will see if the Cats have a qb this year.

I thought the Griz would beat the Cats last year. Close, but no cigar.

While I have little or no basis for saying this, I think the Griz will be very good this year.

I also believe the Cats will be good. A good MT sportswriter told me recently that he agrees on both points.

Oh, I don’t think the Cats will be bad. Especially when considering their strength of schedule. I don’t think they have the skill players needed to be an elite team. QB void is huge. You just can’t fix that mess overnight. Their defense will be tough, but their new coach is nowhere near as experienced as TG. Just don’t think they are at the next level yet. I am actually more optimistic about the Griz. First game will tell a lot about the trenches and any advancements. Skill players - loaded. Going to be in interesting season and I expect they will have a better record than last year - even though the schedule is more difficult. QB in year two of the system will go a long way.

Back