• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Portal ruining FCS

uptopgriz said:
RoseyMustGo said:
Don't you love how chief "Nose Up His Arse" uses the "very good or great" phrase all of the time. Guess he can't make up his mind which is correct.

Do you think Bobby would let any player keep playing once they informed him they were leaving?

Yes, in some circumstances. Like a Toure. Who might want to test the waters, and consult the coaches in advance. UM has guys like that from time to time.

mthoopsfan said:
uptopgriz said:
Do you think Bobby would let any player keep playing once they informed him they were leaving?

Yes, in some circumstances. Like a Toure. Who might want to test the waters, and consult the coaches in advance. UM has guys like that from time to time.

Not a chance. He says so in his video.

uptopgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

Nope. I know of one situation.

mthoopsfan said:
uptopgriz said:
I know of one from this past year that was told to hit the road.

Yes, that's generally true, but there are exceptions. That was the point and the discussion.

Shane, is that you?

The difference is if a kid wants to go play at a higher level and get more notice verse one not liking that he'd have to compete for the starting job and not guaranteed.

Situation matters. A QB that thinks he should be given a starting job based on few snaps is ridiculous. Someone who knows they have a shot at being drafted and helping their career, is understandable.

Actually teams like Griz and Bobcats seem to take advantage of the portal. FCS schools will easily replace the talent they lose with drop downs that want to start.

uptopgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

those who enter the portal lose their scholarships. For many, that is important. There is life situations involved.

ordigger said:
Actually teams like Griz and Bobcats seem to take advantage of the portal. FCS schools will easily replace the talent they lose with drop downs that want to start.

Hilarious! Stick to rock collecting

Here is the problem I see with the portal. It’s mainly ruining coach-player-team loyalty. Any player that has amazing talent will only last a season or two if they have a break out season and will leave at first chance they get. If I was a coach I would want players that wanna stay for the long term.
Two other issues I see is the NIL and the loosing a year of play time if you transfer. Now the players love the NIL but you are now effectively making FCS a pro sport, and it’s not. College first and foremost is about education. NIL is doing to the FCS what Free agency did to the NFL.

I think there needs to be some revisions to the portal rules.
#1) If a player decides to transfer after being with a program for 2+ consecutive seasons and is on full ride, tuition should be payed back because some kids rely on scholarship to go to college and what a waste if a kid decides to leave. However I would add the clause that if a kid does not see the field or is not on full ride, tuition doesn’t have to be payed back.
#2) A senior can transfer with 1 year of eligibility if they are out with an injury or a coaching staff change is made and screws that player and no tuition payback would be needed.
#3) this is one is kind of take it or leave it but players cannot transfer more than 2 times in their career unless offered by another school after the second time. Maybe even add you are not eligible for NIL after your second transfer.

I’m just thinking a lot out load here. I just wanna see more player-team loyalty because right now it seems there is none.

grizfan07 said:
Here is the problem I see with the portal. It’s mainly ruining coach-player-team loyalty. Any player that has amazing talent will only last a season or two if they have a break out season and will leave at first chance they get. If I was a coach I would want players that wanna stay for the long term.
Two other issues I see is the NIL and the loosing a year of play time if you transfer. Now the players love the NIL but you are now effectively making FCS a pro sport, and it’s not. College first and foremost is about education. NIL is doing to the FCS what Free agency did to the NFL.

#1) If a player decides to transfer after being with a program for 2+ consecutive seasons and is on full ride, tuition should be payed back because some kids rely on scholarship to go to college and what a waste if a kid decides to leave. However I would add the clause that if a kid does not see the field or is not on full ride, tuition doesn’t have to be payed back.
#2) A senior can transfer with 1 year of eligibility if they are out with an injury or a coaching staff change is made and screws that player and no tuition payback would be needed.
#3) this is one is kind of take it or leave it but players cannot transfer more than 2 times in their career unless offered by another school after the second time. Maybe even add you are not eligible for NIL after your second transfer.

I’m just thinking a lot out load here. I just wanna see more player-team loyalty because right now it seems there is none.

There was never loyalty with the coach. The portal is the best thing that's ever happened to college athletics. The player is now in charge.

uptopgriz said:
grizfan07 said:

There was never loyalty with the coach. The portal is the best thing that's ever happened to college athletics. The player is now in charge.

The portal, no-sit and NIL combo is going to hurt college athletics. I think it’s funny how many players go into the portal only to never play again.

uptopgriz said:
grizfan07 said:

Yeah, having 19 year-olds in charge is ideal.

kemajic said:
uptopgriz said:

Maybe the 19 year olds should coach or at least pick the starting lineups too.

kemajic said:
uptopgriz said:

It is when the thing they are in charge of is their own futures and making their own decisions. Like every other 19 year old college student does….

kemajic said:
uptopgriz said:

Those kids need to realize what it means to commit. You get on a team for one year, and you stick it out for 3-4 more to honor a program that isn’t the right fit for you. They don’t know the meaning of hard work. I scrimped and saved every penny from my 37-hour/week job in 1973 so I could put a down payment on a $22,000 4 br house. Now, these kids just want things handed to them the easy way. SMH

grizare#1 said:
I hear ya, except that 22,000.00 home cost 725,000.00 today😝

Yeah, just save and work hard for 37 hours per week, 46 weeks per year, and retire with a pension at 58. I did it 50 years ago, so everyone else should be able to do the same just as easily. My generation didn’t ruin the economy three times to sit here and watch these entitled kids play football at the college of their choosing.

CDAGRIZ said:
grizare#1 said:
I hear ya, except that 22,000.00 home cost 725,000.00 today😝

Yeah, just save and work hard for 37 hours per week, 46 weeks per year, and retire with a pension at 58. I did it 50 years ago, so everyone else should be able to do the same just as easily. My generation didn’t ruin the economy three times to sit here and watch these entitled kids play football at the college of their choosing.

You sound woke. :lol:

ilovethecats said:
kemajic said:

It is when the thing they are in charge of is their own futures and making their own decisions. Like every other 19 year old college student does….

Is there a “Safe Space” room in the athletic facilities too?

Back