• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Portal ruining FCS

RoseyMustGo said:
garizzalies said:
Liar. Troll. Nobody believes you; you are not fooling anyone.
We all knew you were a degenerate, now you proved in black-n-white that you like to denigrate the players. Not much lower than that, troll.
Why don’t you go pretend to be a #scumcat? You’d fit right in.

You offer nothing to the board but whining. Go away. We don't need your vitriol on here.

Keep up the good work, garizzalies. You are right on.

fanofzoo said:
kemajic said:
Huot has not changed positions and I expect to see him competing for the QB job in the spring.

Do you honestly believe that bob will give him a chance, hasn't happened yet with any QB.

Cole Berquist? Is that too old to count?

Bok_Choi said:
Spanky2 said:
I wonder how a school like Montana retains good players given the lure of more NIL money if they attempt to move to a FBS school via the portal?

Hire a business guy to establish and run your NIL. This current management is likely well-meaning, but leaving the effort to someone learning on the fly isn't likely the best strategy out of the gate. Too many elements, including effort, clearly missing.

Smart suggestion. This is why Haslam should be involved behind the scenes to set-up our NIL program with an business/marketing guy outside of the athletic department. You can't tell me that Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, and every other Power 5 school doesn't coordinate their NIL program with the athletic department. You can't just allow some fan try to administer it without the AD being involved in some way. If Haslam is involved already. he isn't getting it done.

RoseyMustGo said:
For those of you who think that the portal will provide the way for the Griz to RTD, here are some sobering things regarding the portal to consider.
The best players in the portal have already committed to other FBS schools, and will receive NIL money to do so. I have attached a portal site which actually gives the NIL portal value for players. How can we expect to compete with teams giving thousands of dollars to a 20 year old kid?
We will get the leftovers instead. Not the type of players who can turn a program around.
IMO, high school recruiting should still be the way to build a team, not trying to band-aid positions of need by using the portal. Yes, it is true, that players recruited out of high school who excel at the FCS level, will certainly enter the portal to seek NIL money as well as playing at a higher level. So, you have to keep recruiting solid high school talent to re-stock the cupboard when one of your star players leaves for the portal.
I think the Cats are doing a much better job of that currently.
The Cats new high school QB recruit, Chance Wilson, had 11 offers (4 from FBS schools) and one from North Dakota State. Yet, here we sit at Montana with no high school QB recruit, and only hope that we can sign a good portal QB. I think we are banking on finding a great portal QB following spring practice, when many will hit the portal. But, the best ones will probably receive NIL money and sign elsewhere.
The report on Jack Tuttle is that he signed with Michigan because he received over $70K in NIL money. Why would he sign with us for zero money, when he can get $70K?
In summary, I think the portal will turn out to be the worst thing to happen to FCS football. I have never been an advocate to move-up to FBS before, but I might change my mind on that because of what is happening to NCAA football.

https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/wire/football/2023/

No. It is not why the majority of the good programs moved to the FBS. These are going to be even better in 2024 when the FBS Playoffs expand to 12 teams:

https://www-ncaa-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2023-01-02/2022-23-conference-bowl-records-scores-updates-through-college-football-playoff?amp=&amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16727557154333&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncaa.com%2Fnews%2Ffootball%2Farticle%2F2023-01-02%2F2022-23-conference-bowl-records-scores-updates-through-college-football-playoff

uptopgriz said:
The portal gives the power to players where it should be.

When you have the portal plus NIL, I don't think it is a good thing. The big money being thrown around is going to lead to, if not already, a lot of corruption. It is going to ruin college FB.

bigsky33 said:
uptopgriz said:
The portal gives the power to players where it should be.

When you have the portal plus NIL, I don't think it is a good thing. The big money being thrown around is going to lead to, if not already, a lot of corruption. It is going to ruin college FB.

Meanwhile, the BSC is as strong as it's ever been, the P5 teams with the most money get the best players like they always have, and we just saw the best day in CFP history on 12/31. CFB is down bad. :roll:

Going to lead to corruption? Bud, were you ever friends with a DI FB or BB player? I've told the story before, but a buddy was a third string player for a very prominent program. He got a four-figure stack in an anonymous envelope in his mailbox every month (maybe every other month). Just, "Keep up the good work", on a note. This was over a decade before NIL.

Programs need to adapt or die like literally any other industry. Personally, I support my alma mater. I'm not very affected if Player X leaves the team to try to play elsewhere, particularly if it's at a higher level. While I bleed maroon, it would be stupid to assume every player does, too.

mthoopsfan said:
The portal/no-sit rules are not ruining FCS. But changing football a lot.

I have opposed portal/no-sit/NIL from before they started. NIL is the worst of the 3.

These things are bad for college football. Football is now pretty much professional, particular in FBS and also FCS to some extent. There's no argument that football is part of the university mission now, except for money and entertainment.

No such thing as student-athlete. No such thing as amateur. More players playing for themselves, and not the sport, the team or the school.

Some lower level cash-strapped FCS schools will not want to fund football, sooner or later. I don't see leaders of schools like UM and MSU wanting to push into FBS, unless there became a clear path to money to pay for it.

The ncaa is now a complete joke and has little authority over anyone. They hand out trophies. They run the ncaa hoops tourneys, but the schools don't need them for that. They let NIL completely get away from them with no rules or guidelines.

NIL is skewing almost anything.

The top of FCS will continue to get good players from the portal. Most good players will want to play somewhere, if not stay with their teams as backups. The lower FCS will lose many of its good players.

If some FCS schools get bigger NIL funds, then that will skew things. If the oil boom comes back, NDSU will be rolling in NIL dough.

I'm a bit surprised UM doesn't seem to have more NIL funds. If Bobby encouraged it, I think there would be some money.

If smart kids were interested in money, and smart, they would go to the Ivies. Would make zillions more after graduation and have more opportunities. Would not wreck their bodies. No playoffs. No live tackling in practice. The top players would continue to have an avenue to the NFL.
This is some really good insight PR. I agree with most everything. Except I am wholeheartedly in favor of the NIL and no sit changes. You can say all you want about player loyalty and team first unity. Those notions seemed to only be applied to players in the past and not coaches, universities or the NCAA. Now that the players are finally getting share in all the revenue that the coaches, NCAA and schools are raking in everyone says it's ruined the game. The coaches like Hauck can no longer play lordmaster over these kid's lives. They have options and that is good.

CDAGRIZ said:
bigsky33 said:

Meanwhile, the BSC is as strong as it's ever been, the P5 teams with the most money get the best players like they always have, and we just saw the best day in CFP history on 12/31. CFB is down bad. :roll:

Going to lead to corruption? Bud, were you ever friends with a DI FB or BB player? I've told the story before, but a buddy was a third string player for a very prominent program. He got a four-figure stack in an anonymous envelope in his mailbox every month (maybe every other month). Just, "Keep up the good work", on a note. This was over a decade before NIL.

Programs need to adapt or die like literally any other industry. Personally, I support my alma mater. I'm not very affected if Player X leaves the team to try to play elsewhere, particularly if it's at a higher level. While I bleed maroon, it would be stupid to assume every player does, too.

Yes, I am very familiar with the corruption over the years before NIL. NIL just makes it legal. However, whether legal or not the big money being thrown around is not good. Already, you are seeing the big schools poaching. The more money being thrown around will just spur other creative ways of cheating and gaming the system. College sports is headed to become just another professional sports league. Just my opinion.

bigsky33 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Yes, I am very familiar with the corruption over the years before NIL. NIL just makes it legal. However, whether legal or not the big money being thrown around is not good. Already, you are seeing the big schools poaching. The more money being thrown around will just spur other creative ways of cheating and gaming the system. College sports is headed to become just another professional sports league. Just my opinion.

I think our opinions line up more than you might think. The only difference is that I don't think the difference will be as gigantic as some do. I'd be shocked if Oregon waited until Adams and Prukop announced their transfers to contact them.

indian-outlaw said:
mthoopsfan said:

I have opposed portal/no-sit/NIL from before they started. NIL is the worst of the 3.

These things are bad for college football. Football is now pretty much professional, particular in FBS and also FCS to some extent. There's no argument that football is part of the university mission now, except for money and entertainment.

No such thing as student-athlete. No such thing as amateur. More players playing for themselves, and not the sport, the team or the school.

Some lower level cash-strapped FCS schools will not want to fund football, sooner or later. I don't see leaders of schools like UM and MSU wanting to push into FBS, unless there became a clear path to money to pay for it.

The ncaa is now a complete joke and has little authority over anyone. They hand out trophies. They run the ncaa hoops tourneys, but the schools don't need them for that. They let NIL completely get away from them with no rules or guidelines.

The top of FCS will continue to get good players from the portal. Most good players will want to play somewhere, if not stay with their teams as backups. The lower FCS will lose many of its good players.

If some FCS schools get bigger NIL funds, then that will skew things. If the oil boom comes back, NDSU will be rolling in NIL dough.

I'm a bit surprised UM doesn't seem to have more NIL funds. If Bobby encouraged it, I think there would be some money.

If smart kids were interested in money, and smart, they would go to the Ivies. Would make zillions more after graduation and have more opportunities. Would not wreck their bodies. No playoffs. No live tackling in practice. The top players would continue to have an avenue to the NFL.
This is some really good insight PR. I agree with most everything. Except I am wholeheartedly in favor of the NIL and no sit changes. You can say all you want about player loyalty and team first unity. Those notions seemed to only be applied to players in the past and not coaches, universities or the NCAA. Now that the players are finally getting share in all the revenue that the coaches, NCAA and schools are raking in everyone says it's ruined the game. The coaches like Hauck can no longer play lordmaster over these kid's lives. They have options and that is good.

My concern is that my paras 3 and 4 will eventually lead to less institutional support for college sports athletics. Some states, BOR’s, presidents, and professors will put more emphasis on the academic mission.

I am in a discussion group with Joe Moglia. He coached at Dartmouth in the early 80s. He is plugged in and has wisdom on these topics. Great guy too.

I don’t support big time-money football in universities in general, although I enjoy the football. I have attended 2 fbs playoff games. Recent Fiesta Bowl and Rose Bowl with Georgia and OK. Our family just booked for the upcoming championship game. Sucked it up and went all-in. Totally excited.

mthoopsfan said:
indian-outlaw said:

My concern is that my paras 3 and 4 will eventually lead to less institutional support for college sports athletics. Some states, BOR’s, presidents, and professors will put more emphasis on the academic mission.

I am in a discussion group with Joe Moglia. He coached at Dartmouth in the early 80s. He is plugged in and has wisdom on these topics. Great guy too.

I don’t support big time-money football in universities in general, although I enjoy the football. I have attended 2 fbs playoff games. Recent Fiesta Bowl and Rose Bowl with Georgia and OK. Our family just booked for the upcoming championship game. Sucked it up and went all-in. Totally excited.

Are you going early and tailgating with the Georgia folks? In-laws will be there. Not going to this one.

mthoopsfan said:

I agree.

In regard to how it changes the game itself is that it is reasonable to belive it might change how some coaches and programs do things.
Perhaps the current climate favors coaches that can modify their system depending on skill-sets of transfers coming and going.

I notice that this season the Griz modified their offense scheme in a number of ways depending on who was healthy and on the opponents defense.
Thats a positive. :)

GrizMania said:
mthoopsfan said:

I agree.

In regard to how it changes the game itself is that it is reasonable to belive it might change how some coaches and programs do things.
Perhaps the current climate favors coaches that can modify their system depending on skill-sets of transfers coming and going.

I notice that this season the Griz modified their offense scheme in a number of ways depending on who was healthy and on the opponents defense.

What were the modifications against Weber and the Cats?

uptopgriz said:
GrizMania said:
I agree.

I'd say running the wildcat when we hadn't all season was a pretty big modification.

mthoopsfan said:

I agree with just about everything in this post. Hate the NIL.

uofmman1122 said:
uptopgriz said:
I'd say running the wildcat when we hadn't all season was a pretty big modification.

Don't think they stuck with it long enough though. Wasn't like anything else was making a difference.

uptopgriz said:
GrizMania said:
I agree.

I didn't say the various schemes always worked 😉

Back