• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Portal ruining FCS

uofmman1122 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
They ran the ball 41 times for 2.3 a carry. Ifanse, the greatest RB in scat history and TD Tommy totaled 26 Carrie’s for 77 yards at 3.0 y/c and zero TD’s. Tommy ran 7 times for 27 yards at 3.9 y/c. Not exactly world beater numbers. He would’ve had to carry the ball 41 times to equal what he got in Blowzeman. I think it’s safe to say they hadn’t figured out the D yet and no amount of TD Tommy carries would have changed that.
TBF, despite what we all thought early this last year, our defense was quite a bit better in '21 than last year, especially at guarding the edge on running plays (Hicks-Onu leaving was a huge blow, he was incredible at defending the run).

Gavin Robertson was also a big part of that defenses success. Night and day when he went out with injury versus when he was in there.

Wolf777 said:
uofmman1122 said:
TBF, despite what we all thought early this last year, our defense was quite a bit better in '21 than last year, especially at guarding the edge on running plays (Hicks-Onu leaving was a huge blow, he was incredible at defending the run).

Gavin Robertson was also a big part of that defenses success. Night and day when he went out with injury versus when he was in there.

those two turned out to be irreplaceable. Greatly missed. '21 D was much better than the '22 version.

uptopgriz said:
uofmman1122 said:

The defense being better in 2021 is factual . The Griz D was worse because Bobby tried to steal the 37 legacy for Robby and he lost the locker room. The Griz weren't just worse on the perimeter, but inside the tackles too.
Funny how despite that, they all want to come back. I'm sure the distraction wasn't a good thing for the team, but that's not why he didn't want Marcus to get it.

AZGrizFan said:
Wolf777 said:

those two turned out to be irreplaceable. Greatly missed. '21 D was much better than the '22 version.
I love Graves and Fouch, but I'm really hoping the Akron kid can step into that Robertson role next season that was sorely missed (assuming we still run the same defense).

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
I love Graves and Fouch, but I'm really hoping the Akron kid can step into that Robertson role next season that was sorely missed (assuming we still run the same defense).

really thought Cotton was gonna be that guy this year, but he turned out not to be...

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Is the Akron guy a safety or a corner?

mthoopsfan said:
uofmman1122 said:

I believe his bio intro from UM said he’d be moved from CB to Safety.

uofmman1122 said:
mthoopsfan said:

You are right again. "2023 (Montana): Transferred to Montana in time for winter conditioning… Will make the move from cornerback to safety for the Griz"

mthoopsfan said:
uofmman1122 said:

You are right again. "2023 (Montana): Transferred to Montana in time for winter conditioning… Will make the move from cornerback to safety for the Griz"

I questioned the reasoning for this at first due to the limited experience at corner and the vast amount of safeties on the roster but came to the conclusion that we’ll still be running a 3-3-5 next year but they’re making this switch with RJ to improve the pass coverage.

Back