• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

No one knows where people are getting infected

ilovethecats said:
Spanky2 said:
Cats, since you’ve had the virus, please answer: when someone has the virus, how many days can he/she give it to another person? When is it safe to be near them in a working environment? Thanks!

Not sure. In the beginning they said I had to quarantine for 14 days. Then I believe they changed that to 10 days. Though I've now had two friends who have tested positive twice months apart from when they had it the first time. So they either got infected two separate times which in the beginning we were told would be a very rare occurrence; OR they had it for months in which case I guess they never should have been with anyone.

Although on the flipside my wife was with me all 14 days I had to be home and never got sick at all. Though obviously I guess she could have had it and never known. In which case it wasn't safe for her to be around anyone either. Same with my three kids.

Though none of this helps me understand why those so vocal about wearing masks to save lives during this pandemic are equally vocal about how soon they are going to stop wearing them, regardless of other viruses in which they would prevent the spread. It's an odd concept for me to grasp but I'm trying to learn.

Dude, it's all so freaking weird. I've said it before, but the mask thing for me was just a mild inconvenience to make sure places could stay open. Now, because they aren't allowed to even serve food on outdoor patios, it has me wondering. My kids went back to virtual school after the holiday break. Learning absolutely nothing. In about 10 weeks, it will mark one full year with this shit going on.

CDAGRIZ said:
ilovethecats said:
Not sure. In the beginning they said I had to quarantine for 14 days. Then I believe they changed that to 10 days. Though I've now had two friends who have tested positive twice months apart from when they had it the first time. So they either got infected two separate times which in the beginning we were told would be a very rare occurrence; OR they had it for months in which case I guess they never should have been with anyone.

Although on the flipside my wife was with me all 14 days I had to be home and never got sick at all. Though obviously I guess she could have had it and never known. In which case it wasn't safe for her to be around anyone either. Same with my three kids.

Though none of this helps me understand why those so vocal about wearing masks to save lives during this pandemic are equally vocal about how soon they are going to stop wearing them, regardless of other viruses in which they would prevent the spread. It's an odd concept for me to grasp but I'm trying to learn.

Dude, it's all so freaking weird. I've said it before, but the mask thing for me was just a mild inconvenience to make sure places could stay open. Now, because they aren't allowed to even serve food on outdoor patios, it has me wondering. My kids went back to virtual school after the holiday break. Learning absolutely nothing. In about 10 weeks, it will mark one full year with this shit going on.
Yep I've said the whole time that all is not equal, and it's frustrating to hear people on their high horse like we're all in the same boat. Even something as trivial as the masks that everyone wants to talk about so much isn't the same for everyone. People are in different lines of work and have different health issues that make the masks different for everyone.

Kids are getting absolutely crushed. It's amazing to me how willing we are to sacrifice our kids futures in the name of "safety" and saving lives. Wait and see in just the upcoming months and years how bad we screwed up the kids educations. Like you, I'm seeing it first hand. You think we're short good teachers right now because we pay them like crap? Wait and see how many leave the field all together after this. It's just not worth it for them.

Sorry to hear about your wife. Just terrible. I just had another friend find out Thursday he's positive again. He was one of the first guys I knew in person become infected in May I believe. Now he's doing it all over again.

But hey, some of us got $600 this week so all is well!!! :rockon:

ilovethecats said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Yep I've said the whole time that all is not equal, and it's frustrating to hear people on their high horse like we're all in the same boat. Even something as trivial as the masks that everyone wants to talk about so much isn't the same for everyone. People are in different lines of work and have different health issues that make the masks different for everyone.

Kids are getting absolutely crushed. It's amazing to me how willing we are to sacrifice our kids futures in the name of "safety" and saving lives. Wait and see in just the upcoming months and years how bad we screwed up the kids educations. Like you, I'm seeing it first hand. You think we're short good teachers right now because we pay them like crap? Wait and see how many leave the field all together after this. It's just not worth it for them.

Sorry to hear about your wife. Just terrible. I just had another friend find out Thursday he's positive again. He was one of the first guys I knew in person become infected in May I believe. Now he's doing it all over again.

But hey, some of us got $600 this week so all is well!!! :rockon:

All agreed. Minor point of clarification: It's my buddy's wife who got infected twice. My wife is in the medical field as well. She got the vax a couple of weeks ago, and is set up for the booster this week, I believe. Fingers crossed.

To bring this back to sports, I have to wonder about the long-term development of some of these kid athletes. For example, my particular locale in Southern CA is something of a hotbed for baseball with multiple MLB draft picks in the past few years. Kids here haven't played in nearly a year. You have to think the kids in Texas/Florida who are allowed to play will have a leg up. I know it's small potatoes in the grand scheme, but it's not irrelevant that baseball hitting coaches and flag FB leagues have been forced to operate as speakeasies for nearly 11 months.

argh! said:
argh! said:
don't agree with everything he said - greenie is ok, sometimes, and i don't understand the adoration for fauci, intentionally lying to the public is not right, but he pretty much has it right, as far as egriz goes. bunch of old white guys afraid of what

is on the horizon, coming closer.

Fauci was a disappointment as was the scientific community in general in imo. If trump knew in February that it was as bad as it turned out to be, how long before do you think Fauci and Brix and Redfield and the whole lot of infection disease experts knew? And what was their duty bound as people of medicine and science to the country or humanity in general to speak up or not? Is there a code of ethics among real scientists

Jesse said:
argh! said:
is on the horizon, coming closer.

Fauci was a disappointment as was the scientific community in general in imo. If trump knew in February that it was as bad as it turned out to be, how long before do you think Fauci and Brix and Redfield and the whole lot of infection disease experts knew? And what was their duty bound as people of medicine and science to the country or humanity in general to speak up or not? Is there a code of ethics among real scientists

well, with m.d.'s the first thing they pledge is to try to not make matters worse, which of course fauci et al did, from the get-go. he is an m.d., so... as for scientists in general having ethics, meh, not much, at least in academia. those who market themselves best are the ones who get the money and power, and will lie frequently to keep it. i could rattle off a lot of names of professors whose entire careers have been based on falsified data, which they get away with because nobody tries to recreate what they report, and none of their underlings are brave enough to report fraud. i have more faith in those working in industry, because there your discoveries have to be real, provable, and reliably recreated. my personal opinion is that science funding in academia should require publishing of raw data, before any statistical tricks are used to 'throw out' results that don't fit whatever theory the academic is pushing. academics will rail against such a demand, though, because it might kill their golden goose. despite being pretty successful myself, i left academia because i was disgusted by all the lying and cheating. i used to love going to universities, and just soaking in the feeling of an academic atmosphere. after seeing the underbelly for years and years, nowadays the thought of even entering a university building repulses me. sorry for the soliloquy, i should just say that i agree, the scientific community was a disappointment, at least those working at the federal level and in universities.

ilovethecats said:

since this last part is aimed at me, i'd like to note that i've only said that when this thing is over i won't wear a mask once, maybe twice, so if you are talking about me, i think an exaggeration has been made. as for masks, perhaps i'm vocal about it because where i live, very few will wear them, unless forced, and even then they'll just use them as a chin diaper. if someone is not close to others, i.e. not in a line, not on a busy sidewalk, not in the store, i don't have a problem with them not wearing them, or doing the chin diaper thing and pulling them up when they are close to others. regrading the flu and your questions, i think they have been answered. yes, people die of the flu. like with covid, they are generally older and not healthy anyway, but the difference, as has been pointed out, is that there are vaccines, etc, and rational thought (in my view) is that they aren't necessary, although it would be nice if people with the flu would wear one. in l.a., ambulance drivers were just instructed to not pick up anyone who has a high likelihood of dying, because hospitals are overwhelmed with covid patients. similar actions have been taken around the country and world. that doesn't happen with the flu. here's an analogy, maybe it is not a great one, but consider cars. people get killed in car accidents all the time. it makes sense to not drive one when the roads are extremely slick, etc, unless you have a four wheel drive or other vehicle that is safe. but you don't stop driving them when the roads are clear, although accidents can and will happen. you don't need a four wheel drive (mask) at those times, you just need to drive as safely as you can. maybe a bad analogy, but i tried, and i don't want to drag this line of posting on endlessly, especially given that i've basically just written a novel about it, and i'm not sure you want to really reason with me.

argh! said:
Jesse said:

well, with m.d.'s the first thing they pledge is to try to not make matters worse, which of course fauci et al did, from the get-go. he is an m.d., so... as for scientists in general having ethics, meh, not much, at least in academia. those who market themselves best are the ones who get the money and power, and will lie frequently to keep it. i could rattle off a lot of names of professors whose entire careers have been based on falsified data, which they get away with because nobody tries to recreate what they report, and none of their underlings are brave enough to report fraud. i have more faith in those working in industry, because there your discoveries have to be real, provable, and reliably recreated. my personal opinion is that science funding in academia should require publishing of raw data, before any statistical tricks are used to 'throw out' results that don't fit whatever theory the academic is pushing. academics will rail against such a demand, though, because it might kill their golden goose. despite being pretty successful myself, i left academia because i was disgusted by all the lying and cheating. i used to love going to universities, and just soaking in the feeling of an academic atmosphere. after seeing the underbelly for years and years, nowadays the thought of even entering a university building repulses me. sorry for the soliloquy, i should just say that i agree, the scientific community was a disappointment, at least those working at the federal level and in universities.

Holy shit. I 100% agree with this post. :shock: :shock:

Maybe there IS hope for you, argh! :lol:

July 14, 2020 CDC Director: The United States could get the spread of the novel coronavirus “under control” within a matter of weeks if everyone wore face coverings, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield said Tuesday. “I think if we could get everybody to wear a mask now,” Redfield said in July, “I think in four, six, eight weeks, we could bring this epidemic under control.”1

December 27, 2020 Study results: While mask-wearing can help to reduce transmission of COVID-19, data show that mask mandates in the U.S. and other countries did not prevent a surge of cases.
During the U.S. surge in the fall, 97 of the 100 counties with the most confirmed cases had either a county-level mask mandate, a state-level mandate, or both.

Masks are like saran wrap condoms. Just a false sense of security.

horribilisfan8184 said:
July 14, 2020 CDC Director: The United States could get the spread of the novel coronavirus “under control” within a matter of weeks if everyone wore face coverings, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield said Tuesday. “I think if we could get everybody to wear a mask now,” Redfield said in July, “I think in four, six, eight weeks, we could bring this epidemic under control.”1

December 27, 2020 Study results: While mask-wearing can help to reduce transmission of COVID-19, data show that mask mandates in the U.S. and other countries did not prevent a surge of cases.
During the U.S. surge in the fall, 97 of the 100 counties with the most confirmed cases had either a county-level mask mandate, a state-level mandate, or both.

nobody said masks were failsafe, but you can't accurately say they "didn't work", because half the population couldn't be bothered to wear them other than when forced in stores, etc, where, as data greenie has provided shows, transmission rates have been quite low.

argh! said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

nobody said masks were failsafe, but you can't accurately say they "didn't work", because half the population couldn't be bothered to wear them other than when forced in stores, etc, where, as data greenie has provided shows, transmission rates have been quite low.

Transmission rates inside stores, say a Costco of 140,000 sf. with a roof are low?

I guess that means that transmission rates in the outside world of 18 Billion Trillion sf. is non existent then.

That would make sense, considering the Fake Fraud Fauci wasn't wearing a mask while sitting right next to his buddy in the WA Nationals stadium, even though there were thousands of other seats. But, he was outside. And he's famous. And he's an expert.

horribilisfan8184 said:

I don’t get this logic. Living in Texas, literally EVERYONE wears a mask. EVERYWHERE. If we’re doing it, I can’t imagine they’re not in California, NY, etc.....

This is just another version of the “wait two weeks” mantra....

AZGrizFan said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

I don’t get this logic. Living in Texas, literally EVERYONE wears a mask. EVERYWHERE. If we’re doing it, I can’t imagine they’re not in California, NY, etc.....

This is just another version of the “wait two weeks” mantra....
Agreed. I’d like to see stats on this eventually. All I keep hearing is “people aren’t wearing masks”; yet everywhere I go everyone is wearing masks. Many probably reluctantly.

This is the same scapegoat as the lockdown and business and school closures. Despite how terrible it was, people can always say that it would have been WAY worse had we not taken those actions. Though we have no real data, it’s impossible to prove/disprove.

I’d like to see these places where no one is wearing masks though. Since the pandemic I’ve been to Vegas, Denver, San Diego, Canada and Idaho and don’t ever recall a setting where I felt like people weren’t wearing masks.

argh! said:
ilovethecats said:

since this last part is aimed at me, i'd like to note that i've only said that when this thing is over i won't wear a mask once, maybe twice, so if you are talking about me, i think an exaggeration has been made. as for masks, perhaps i'm vocal about it because where i live, very few will wear them, unless forced, and even then they'll just use them as a chin diaper. if someone is not close to others, i.e. not in a line, not on a busy sidewalk, not in the store, i don't have a problem with them not wearing them, or doing the chin diaper thing and pulling them up when they are close to others. regrading the flu and your questions, i think they have been answered. yes, people die of the flu. like with covid, they are generally older and not healthy anyway, but the difference, as has been pointed out, is that there are vaccines, etc, and rational thought (in my view) is that they aren't necessary, although it would be nice if people with the flu would wear one. in l.a., ambulance drivers were just instructed to not pick up anyone who has a high likelihood of dying, because hospitals are overwhelmed with covid patients. similar actions have been taken around the country and world. that doesn't happen with the flu. here's an analogy, maybe it is not a great one, but consider cars. people get killed in car accidents all the time. it makes sense to not drive one when the roads are extremely slick, etc, unless you have a four wheel drive or other vehicle that is safe. but you don't stop driving them when the roads are clear, although accidents can and will happen. you don't need a four wheel drive (mask) at those times, you just need to drive as safely as you can. maybe a bad analogy, but i tried, and i don't want to drag this line of posting on endlessly, especially given that i've basically just written a novel about it, and i'm not sure you want to really reason with me.
Not directed solely at you argh. I’ve had the same conversations in person as well as on BN.

When anyone can justify wearing masks now, to prevent Covid deaths, but not forever, to prevent flu deaths...I’m all ears. To date no one has done that. Spanky had a snarky remark asking if I was dumb, but still avoided the question. As has pretty much everyone regarding this topic.

I’m all for wearing masks and saving lives. But at least be honest with yourself and have some integrity. Wearing masks will ALWAYS save lives. Year after year. But at some point each person needs to decide if that’s how they want to go about life.

ilovethecats said:
argh! said:
Not directed solely at you argh. I’ve had the same conversations in person as well as on BN.

When anyone can justify wearing masks now, to prevent Covid deaths, but not forever, to prevent flu deaths...I’m all ears. To date no one has done that. Spanky had a snarky remark asking if I was dumb, but still avoided the question. As has pretty much everyone regarding this topic.

I’m all for wearing masks and saving lives. But at least be honest with yourself and have some integrity. Wearing masks will ALWAYS save lives. Year after year. But at some point each person needs to decide if that’s how they want to go about life.

Just like reducing the speed limit to 25 everywhere would ALWAYS save lives. And outlawing junk food would ALWAYS save lives. And making obesity illegal would ALWAYS save lives. But we don’t do it because that’s not how we want to go about life.

horribilisfan8184 said:

This is an example of some of the stupidity (or out right dishonesty) we get from the so called experts, which leads to no one believing them. If anyone thinks masks can control the pandemic, look no further than California .

The honest assessment of masks is that they provide some marginal mitigation to the spread, but keeping socially distanced has a much greater benefit. As such, you should remain socially distanced but if you cant, then wear a mask. I do think the grossly exaggerated (or out right false) statements by experts about the effectiveness of masks have likely lead to a false sense of security and a potential exacerbation of the spread.

AZGrizFan said:
ilovethecats said:

Just like reducing the speed limit to 25 everywhere would ALWAYS save lives. And outlawing junk food would ALWAYS save lives. And making obesity illegal would ALWAYS save lives. But we don’t do it because that’s not how we want to go about life.

EXACTLY!! :clap:

ilovethecats said:
When anyone can justify wearing masks now, to prevent Covid deaths, but not forever, to prevent flu deaths...I’m all ears. To date no one has done that. Spanky had a snarky remark asking if I was dumb, but still avoided the question.
Are you really still struggling with why there is a push to wear masks during a pandemic—the only pandemic in over 100 years—while we scramble to get a vaccine for a “novel” disease? Is it really that difficult to understand for you? And you wonder why Spank called you dumb? :lol: :msugrad:
When you hear the word “novel” do you think it means a long and boring fictitious prose and not worth your time? Did you know there is a second meaning?
Crap did I really just press “submit” in this thread? Fook.

AZGrizFan said:
ilovethecats said:

Yep, I have told people over and over that their disease is in their boxes and cans of "food" that they eat, but nobody listens. Now, I'm no saint, I like a Pizza or some Arby's every once in a while, but when I stick to Paleo / Intermittent fasting for a month with no sugar, I feel invincible compared to my fast food days. Some of the people I'm talking about have never known anything but "food" in a wrapper.

Back