• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

National Search for New Lady Griz Coach

In most states there isn't a ton of protection for coaches as they are considered 'at-will' employees and it was only a recent advancement in Montana to have more than one year contracts for college coaches. Even with their multiple year contracts, coaches recognize that the only thing protection that most of them have is the buy out option for the remaining years of the contract. If you have a booster with deep enough pockets, that is a pretty easy hill to climb. Especially here, where the contracts are less than 200,000 year per.

Maybe if Shannon had been extended the year before that would have protected her to some degree, but it was the chronic problems within the program that prevented that from my understanding.

Bill Speltz's Sunday column talks about Katie (Baker) Faulkner, who could be a potential candidate for the open Lady Griz coaching spot.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/bill-speltz-lady-griz-national-search-presents-many-possibilities-including-return-of-katie-baker-faulkner/article_b6ba2e82-b1ed-500f-8962-ecf3aa592ae7.html

Brian Holsinger another Oregon State assistant that may have interest in the LG job. Looks like good resume with assistant positions at OSU...prior to that Wazzu...and one time HC at Montana Tech. A recruiter with Pac 12 West Coast experience and some MT connections too.

Mousegriz said:
Brian Holsinger another Oregon State assistant that may have interest in the LG job. Looks like good resume with assistant positions at OSU...prior to that Wazzu...and one time HC at Montana Tech. A recruiter with Pac 12 West Coast experience and some MT connections too.

I heard a year ago that he was someone Haslam was eyeing.

maroonandsilver said:
Mousegriz said:

Don't have clue myself....but a quick read of his resume says this is the type guy a national search gets you over just being happy with Petrino. OSU a perennial ranked team. This guy their recruiting coordinator...they have one of the top recruiting classes in the country.

https://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/beavers-sports/basketball/osu-womens-basketball-top-10-recruit-von-oelhoffen-commits-to-beavers/article_14091cab-fb1e-5784-8523-1e4f547ab577.html

Holsinger was on the radar last year as was a few other Pac 12 assistants.

Holsinger would be a great hire if he was interested. All three assistants at Oregon State (including Faulkner) probably would get some interest as it has been one of the best Pac 12 programs over the past five years.

Mousegriz said:

Are you now a spokesman for a certain former AD? Ha.

Maybe Holsinger will hope Ore. St. loses against SC in the tourney, so he has time to interview.

Grizfan-24 said:
Holsinger was on the radar last year as was a few other Pac 12 assistants.

Holsinger would be a great hire if he was interested. All three assistants at Oregon State (including Faulkner) probably would get some interest as it has been one of the best Pac 12 programs over the past five years.

Maybe he would be great, but it sure seems that he's coached a long time without moving up to head coach of a NCAA school.

MissoulaCanucksFan said:
Bill Speltz's Sunday column talks about Katie (Baker) Faulkner, who could be a potential candidate for the open Lady Griz coaching spot.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/bill-speltz-lady-griz-national-search-presents-many-possibilities-including-return-of-katie-baker-faulkner/article_b6ba2e82-b1ed-500f-8962-ecf3aa592ae7.html

This quote from her didn't seem to indicate she was currently looking to apply at UM.

""I do have aspirations to go on and be a head coach. My life experiences and my skill set will allow for that in the right place with the right people. That would be the greatest honor and blessing."

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:

Maybe Holsinger will hope Ore. St. loses against SC in the tourney, so he has time to interview.

Just a name I heard, looked up, saw he turned Tech around way back when, worked at Wazzu when they had some decent teams, went to OSU and they 've been nationally ranked, recruiting and defense coordinator there where they have very highly rated national recruiting class. Decided to post something about the actual coach search.

I realize in your eyes Petrino has "Old Mo" on his side. Hard to compete with "momentum"!

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Just a name I heard, looked up, saw he turned Tech around way back when, worked at Wazzu when they had some decent teams, went to OSU and they 've been nationally ranked, recruiting and defense coordinator there where they have very highly rated national recruiting class. Decided to post something about the actual coach search.

I realize in your eyes Petrino has "Old Mo" on his side. Hard to compete with "momentum"!

Petrino has various things on his side, especially cleaning up the program a year ago, hanging onto some who were thinking of leaving, and getting the ball rolling in the right direction. He may or may not get renewed, but he did the program a huge service and more.

Mousegriz said:
maroonandsilver said:

Don't have clue myself....but a quick read of his resume says this is the type guy a national search gets you over just being happy with Petrino. OSU a perennial ranked team. This guy their recruiting coordinator...they have one of the top recruiting classes in the country.

https://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/beavers-sports/basketball/osu-womens-basketball-top-10-recruit-von-oelhoffen-commits-to-beavers/article_14091cab-fb1e-5784-8523-1e4f547ab577.html
Damn, he sounds good to me. It probably helps having Wayne Tinkle and Katie Baker in the OSU athletic department who may act as advocates for him to take the job. I'd be totally down with this hire.

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:

If they beat SC, get him on the phone immediately, even though that's extremely unlikely to happen.

I am a little bummed! Usually you guys are VERY good at this time in a coach search process of having a list a firm candidates for the position,, but nadda! The folks at the GAA and AD Dept. must have gotten a lot better at tamping down leaks then in the past. The only name that seems pretty much a solid lock for throwing their name in the pool is Petrino (unless I missed an actual confirmed name or two). As a fan of NCAA women's, I think Haslam the only choice is Petrino! When he was named interim coach I thought that was a very smart move! My only problem was I thought he was being set up to fail. With all the defections he was left with a young bare bones team, that had good talent but was oh so little inexperienced. I really thought he had this team playing well above their talent level, but with young teams come un-steady play at times Give him a year to recruit, return these players and build ; and the Griz could be a top a consistent top 3 team in the conference again. AS a Bobcat fan, hey I say go ahead roll the dice maybe you will find someone better ....maybe. That said, though, I still feel safe to say that STREAK has a much better chance of continuing longer for the near future without Petrino leading the Lady Griz.

BTW another opinion. Your selection committee needs MORE basketball people! Redpath is a fabulous choice, but she is not enough! Make the selection about basketball not not words on paper.

Mslacat said:
I am a little bummed! Usually you guys are VERY good at this time in a coach search process of having a list a firm candidates for the position,, but nadda! The folks at the GAA and AD Dept. must have gotten a lot better at tamping down leaks then in the past. The only name that seems pretty much a solid lock for throwing their name in the pool is Petrino (unless I missed an actual confirmed name or two). As a fan of NCAA women's, I think Haslam the only choice is Petrino! When he was named interim coach I thought that was a very smart move! My only problem was I thought he was being set up to fail. With all the defections he was left with a young bare bones team, that had good talent but was oh so little inexperienced. I really thought he had this team playing well above their talent level, but with young teams come un-steady play at times Give him a year to recruit, return these players and build ; and the Griz could be a top a consistent top 3 team in the conference again. AS a Bobcat fan, hey I say go ahead roll the dice maybe you will find someone better ....maybe. That said, though, I still feel safe to say that STREAK has a much better chance of continuing longer for the near future without Petrino leading the Lady Griz.

BTW another opinion. Your selection committee needs MORE basketball people! Redpath is a fabulous choice, but she is not enough! Make the selection about basketball not not words on paper.

Yup. Good post.

Mslacat said:

They felt they needed a softball coach instead of another basketball person.

HookedonGriz said:
How much of that is coaching though? I mean I made the comment on another post that I think you could bring in Phil Jackson and unfortunately the talent on that lady griz is just not going to cut it for a while. It pains me to say it but we literally have a number of NAIA players on the roster. We need a huge increase in talent before any coach is going to have a chance.

BULLSEYE 🎯

I don't know wether I want Petrino to get the job, or not. Depends on who the final candidates become.

I will say that I like Petrino. I think he is basketball smart, and I have seen enough intensity out of him.

I just think he was dealt an impossible hand with that serious weak overall roster.

Course his JC players he brought in were a disappointment as well...

I just hope the lady Griz start recruiting like our rival that is curb stomping us every year with their fast and athletic roster (that can throw it the ocean) compared to the lady Griz that look like they have cement in their shoes and can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Mousegriz said:
maroonandsilver said:

Montana Tech hires bright people, for sure.

Another case in point is current #2 seed Houston Cougars (26-3), of this years current Sweet Sixteen, is headed by former Montana Tech head men's 🏀 coach Kelvin Sampson.

Back