• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

National Search for New Lady Griz Coach

tourist said:
These people were picked for a reason unknown to me. Organizations hire consultants all the time for their expertise. What expertise does this 'committee' bring to the task at hand? We made good fun of Moo U's selection of #6. What goes around, comes around. Selving and O'Day would bring an immense level of knowledge to this process. Selving has to be a bit concerned that the program he nurtured from birth, was placed into the hands of probably his best player ever, and long time assistant, only to see it destroyed before his eyes within four years. Then, year five... Maybe these two were offered, and declined. Maybe Haslam just wants 'yes-men.'

Maybe Haslam knows how to spell Selvig.

tourist said:
These people were picked for a reason unknown to me. Organizations hire consultants all the time for their expertise. What expertise does this 'committee' bring to the task at hand? We made good fun of Moo U's selection of #6. What goes around, comes around. Selving and O'Day would bring an immense level of knowledge to this process. Selving has to be a bit concerned that the program he nurtured from birth, was placed into the hands of probably his best player ever, and long time assistant, only to see it destroyed before his eyes within four years. Then, year five... Maybe these two were offered, and declined. Maybe Haslam just wants 'yes-men.'

Maybe Haslam knows how to spell Selvig.

Griz til I die said:
Shall we use this thread to keep track of any potential candidates?
I'm all for it.

Interesting that someone threw in Ryan McCarthy's name here. He's built up a Division 2 power at Alaska-Anchorage (which happens to be a conference rival of MSU-Billings), so I'd be curious to see if UM pursues him. Question is would he be up for leaving Alaska for Montana.

The practice of bringing in outside members for interview panels and search committees is a common practice to ensure you don't get confirmation bias. When the candidacy pool is likely going to include a few former players and a lot applicants who are going to have ties to Missoula or the state you want to have enough people on the committee capable of giving an honest assessment of candidacies.

You don't want this to be a walkover for Petrino or Faulkner (should she apply) or even someone like Payne, but rather someone who checks all the right boxes. For those who are clamoring for a national search, this is the right way to do it.

Grizfan-24 said:
The practice of bringing in outside members for interview panels and search committees is a common practice to ensure you don't get confirmation bias. When the candidacy pool is likely going to include a few former players and a lot applicants who are going to have ties to Missoula or the state you want to have enough people on the committee capable of giving an honest assessment of candidacies.

You don't want this to be a walkover for Petrino or Faulkner (should she apply) or even someone like Payne, but rather someone who checks all the right boxes. For those who are clamoring for a national search, this is the right way to do it.

R6c8a2b3c5cc714f6a42015c28ac202bc

Exactly! Many on this board have mocked UM's national searches in the past because, they argue, UM always hires the internal, known candidate. This panel is designed so that only happens if the internal candidate is truly the best candidate.

Grizfan-24 said:

The time to do a national search has unfortunately passed, unless it is thought that Petrino isn’t the guy. I don’t believe it is thought that he isn’t the guy. If someone else is selected, it better be the damn right person. And be done soon.

They weren't going to a national search last spring. The conditions weren't ever going to merit that. Not with the hiring freeze and the state of the program.

I don't think they would have opened this up to a national search this year unless they were fairly sure they would attract the type of candidates that would have merited it the transition from Petrino to someone else. Having the 'interim' tag before, it sucks. The grass is greener is a principle that very much applies here.

Grizfan-24 said:
They weren't going to a national search last spring. The conditions weren't ever going to merit that. Not with the hiring freeze and the state of the program.

I don't think they would have opened this up to a national search this year unless they were fairly sure they would attract the type of candidates that would have merited it the transition from Petrino to someone else. Having the 'interim' tag before, it sucks. The grass is greener is a principle that very much applies here.

What I said was that the time for a national search was last spring. I know they decided not to do it.

I think they will likely get some good candidates.

Getting good candidates is different from making a change at this point from a good coach who showed well in the circumstances. Also, look at Petrino's assistants. They are top notch. Again, if they think Petrino isn't the guy, which I don't think they do, that would be different.

tourist said:
[Who are Frellick, Palmer and Zellmer?]
Dependable, agreeable UM administrators who owe their position to UM upper administrators. Social credit system adherents.
How about PAYING a couple of current outsiders who might have experience and inside information relative to the search: Robin Selving, and Jim O'Day. Wayne Tinkle is probably a little busy at this point.

Re: Charles Palmer, here is his UM profile, also is fair and square, team player, sports psychology expert, and former Missoula Smokejumper: http://health.umt.edu/ipat/about_us/faculty_staff.php?ID=2485

Smoke-jumper! Lady Griz have been burning down for five years now. Better late than never.

Maroonandsilver, my phone's spell check overrides me, and I didn't notice. S-E-L-V-I-G. My phone is now on notice.
Your whitty reply was so brilliant, you posted it, twice. :lol: Swine phone!
Throwing rocks and glass houses, as I recall the old saying goes. Of course, I'VE never done that, oh, no! :roll:

PlayerRep said:
Grizfan-24 said:

The time to do a national search has unfortunately passed, unless it is thought that Petrino isn’t the guy. I don’t believe it is thought that he isn’t the guy. If someone else is selected, it better be the damn right person. And be done soon.

I agree, it better be the damn right person. But, Haslam said there was going to be a national search last year which they could not have done with covid and hiring freeze. So they are going to do it this year, which I know you disagree with, since Petrino did a pretty good job with the hand that he was dealt with. But, in my opinion, if they did a national search last year, Petrino would not have had a chance of getting the head coaching job. But, with the year of experience he had this year fulfilling the duties of a head coach including recruiting, etc, I figure he will be a favorite or one of the favorites, in getting the position. This year improved his chances of getting the job on a permanent basis. At least he now has one of the preferred requirements (Head Coaching Experience) which he didn't have last year.

As for doing it quickly, that would be nice but they have to do a good thorough job and it just may not be as fast as you like it to be. If they do rush it like you want them to, they may just choose the wrong coach. And it may not be Petrino.

tourist said:
Smoke-jumper! Lady Griz have been burning down for five years now. Better late than never.

Maroonandsilver, my phone's spell check overrides me, and I didn't notice. S-E-L-V-I-G. My phone is now on notice.
Your whitty reply was so brilliant, you posted it, twice. :lol: Swine phone!
Throwing rocks and glass houses, as I recall the old saying goes. Of course, I'VE never done that, oh, no! :roll:
Yup a Smokejumper, an elite highly selective org, where high levels of teamwork, mental and physical capability, situational awareness, and productivity in intense operating environments are bare minimum expectations. Charles thrived in this environment, where a good number of ex-collegiate athletes did as well. He is keen on leadership skills and abilities.

PlayerRep said:
If someone else is selected, it better be the damn right person. And be done soon.

Agreed. The House that Selvig Built has been burning for FIVE years now. The only thing remaining is its Selvig reputation.

Grizfan-24 said:

They could have done a national search last spring, but chose not to. The hiring freeze wouldn't have prevented getting a new coach. An exception would have been made. Interviews probably would have been by Zoom.

TrueGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

I agree, it better be the damn right person. But, Haslam said there was going to be a national search last year which they could not have done with covid and hiring freeze. So they are going to do it this year, which I know you disagree with, since Petrino did a pretty good job with the hand that he was dealt with. But, in my opinion, if they did a national search last year, Petrino would not have had a chance of getting the head coaching job. But, with the year of experience he had this year fulfilling the duties of a head coach including recruiting, etc, I figure he will be a favorite or one of the favorites, in getting the position. This year improved his chances of getting the job on a permanent basis. At least he now has one of the preferred requirements (Head Coaching Experience) which he didn't have last year.

As for doing it quickly, that would be nice but they have to do a good thorough job and it just may not be as fast as you like it to be. If they do rush it like you want them to, they may just choose the wrong coach. And it may not be Petrino.

I want what is best for the program. My goal is not to get Petrino or anyone else in the right position. It's to do the right thing. A national search and the related uncertainly will create risks for the program, i.e. the wrong coach is selected or current or future players lose interest and move on. In my view, those risks would be greater than keeping Petrino and his very good staff, and keeping the current program together and going forward with the momentum built this year. While I believe keeping Petrino is the current best thing for the program, it is not risk-free either. Maybe he isn't the right guy in the long run. A national search now, while with risks, also has the reward of getting a new great coach. We shall see.

My view is that hiring a head coach from a lower level is not necessarily the right way to go, but would be fine with the right person. My view is that hiring an assistant coach also has risks, because no matter what programs they come from, they haven't been a head coach. Only some assistants are head coaching material. It will be the committee's job to assess those things and make those decisions. Again, if they don't go with Petrino, they better be damn right, and there should move fast. My view is that Petrino is a safe bet with good upside, but I admit that I'm not close enough to situation to know that. I'm happy to defer to Haslam and the committee (and, of course, have no choice anyway). They surely know and will know more than I do.

PlayerRep said:
TrueGriz said:

I want what is best for the program. My goal is not to get Petrino or anyone else in the right position. It's to do the right thing. A national search and the related uncertainly will create risks for the program, i.e. the wrong coach is selected or current or future players lose interest and move on. In my view, those risks would be greater than keeping Petrino and his very good staff, and keeping the current program together and going forward with the momentum built this year. While I believe keeping Petrino is the current best thing for the program, it is not risk-free either. Maybe he isn't the right guy in the long run. A national search now, while with risks, also has the reward of getting a new great coach. We shall see.

My view is that hiring a head coach from a lower level is not necessarily the right way to go, but would be fine with the right person. My view is that hiring an assistant coach also has risks, because no matter what programs they come from, they haven't been a head coach. Only some assistants are head coaching material. It will be the committee's job to assess those things and make those decisions. Again, if they don't go with Petrino, they better be damn right, and there should move fast. My view is that Petrino is a safe bet with good upside, but I admit that I'm not close enough to situation to know that. I'm happy to defer to Haslam and the committee (and, of course, have no choice anyway). They surely know and will know more than I do.

Good post!

Grizfan-24 said:
Zellmer-Cuaresma has been around the University in different capacities for years. She served as (athletic department academic advisor and prior to that served in similar capacities with the University College. She is a great person to have on board from the perspective of being an advocate for the student-athlete.

Frellick is the Dean of Admissions and Palmer is a professor and maybe the head of the HHP Department.

Wrong about Frellick. He’s a retired Captain in the MHP, formerly led the Missoula district. He’s a season ticket holder for both men’s and women’s B-ball. He’s a fan, albeit one with lots of leadership and personnel management experience.

Latest posts

Back