• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

National Search for New Lady Griz Coach

Does anyone have a feel where current players and recruits stand? Are any getting ready to transfer or are they going to wait and see what happens with the coaching search. Some of you posting here likely don't agree but I think there is some good talent there and some good ones coming in and we don't want to lose a bunch of them. Hopefully the search will go quickly.

PlayerRep said:
TrueGriz said:
I agree, it better be the damn right person. But, Haslam said there was going to be a national search last year which they could not have done with covid and hiring freeze. So they are going to do it this year, which I know you disagree with, since Petrino did a pretty good job with the hand that he was dealt with. But, in my opinion, if they did a national search last year, Petrino would not have had a chance of getting the head coaching job. But, with the year of experience he had this year fulfilling the duties of a head coach including recruiting, etc, I figure he will be a favorite or one of the favorites, in getting the position. This year improved his chances of getting the job on a permanent basis. At least he now has one of the preferred requirements (Head Coaching Experience) which he didn't have last year.

As for doing it quickly, that would be nice but they have to do a good thorough job and it just may not be as fast as you like it to be. If they do rush it like you want them to, they may just choose the wrong coach. And it may not be Petrino.

I want what is best for the program. My goal is not to get Petrino or anyone else in the right position. It's to do the right thing. A national search and the related uncertainly will create risks for the program, i.e. the wrong coach is selected or current or future players lose interest and move on. In my view, those risks would be greater than keeping Petrino and his very good staff, and keeping the current program together and going forward with the momentum built this year. While I believe keeping Petrino is the current best thing for the program, it is not risk-free either. Maybe he isn't the right guy in the long run. A national search now, while with risks, also has the reward of getting a new great coach. We shall see.

My view is that hiring a head coach from a lower level is not necessarily the right way to go, but would be fine with the right person. My view is that hiring an assistant coach also has risks, because no matter what programs they come from, they haven't been a head coach. Only some assistants are head coaching material. It will be the committee's job to assess those things and make those decisions. Again, if they don't go with Petrino, they better be damn right, and there should move fast. My view is that Petrino is a safe bet with good upside, but I admit that I'm not close enough to situation to know that. I'm happy to defer to Haslam and the committee (and, of course, have no choice anyway). They surely know and will know more than I do.

To summarize......UM should keep Petrino and his very good staff (according to?) unless the national search finds a better coach.... but there are risks! And if we replace Petrino and some of his players or recruits leave or don't come here....hopefully the new coach can find some players!

Very substantive PR. You will be right no matter what happens.

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
I want what is best for the program. My goal is not to get Petrino or anyone else in the right position. It's to do the right thing. A national search and the related uncertainly will create risks for the program, i.e. the wrong coach is selected or current or future players lose interest and move on. In my view, those risks would be greater than keeping Petrino and his very good staff, and keeping the current program together and going forward with the momentum built this year. While I believe keeping Petrino is the current best thing for the program, it is not risk-free either. Maybe he isn't the right guy in the long run. A national search now, while with risks, also has the reward of getting a new great coach. We shall see.

My view is that hiring a head coach from a lower level is not necessarily the right way to go, but would be fine with the right person. My view is that hiring an assistant coach also has risks, because no matter what programs they come from, they haven't been a head coach. Only some assistants are head coaching material. It will be the committee's job to assess those things and make those decisions. Again, if they don't go with Petrino, they better be damn right, and there should move fast. My view is that Petrino is a safe bet with good upside, but I admit that I'm not close enough to situation to know that. I'm happy to defer to Haslam and the committee (and, of course, have no choice anyway). They surely know and will know more than I do.

To summarize......UM should keep Petrino and his very good staff (according to?) unless the national search finds a better coach.... but there are risks! And if we replace Petrino and some of his players or recruits leave or don't come here....hopefully the new coach can find some players!

No. UM should have kept Petrino and its staff and not done a search, in my view. UM is doing a search, so Haslam and the committee should do it quickly and be damn right if they hire someone other than Petrino. If a new coach, hopefully the new coach doesn't lose the momentum built by Petrino and take a year or so to get going,. No, I won't be right now matter what happens. At least, I can articulate a view and say what I have to support the view. You seem to not be able to provide a view, nor understand mine.

Griz66 said:
Does anyone have a feel where current players and recruits stand? Are any getting ready to transfer or are they going to wait and see what happens with the coaching search. Some of you posting here likely don't agree but I think there is some good talent there and some good ones coming in and we don't want to lose a bunch of them. Hopefully the search will go quickly.

I agree with your view on talent.

PlayerRep said:
If a new coach, hopefully the new coach doesn't lose the momentum built by Petrino and take a year or so to get going

You mean the momentum of losing to a 2 win, last place team in the tournament, and being the first 6th seed in BSC history to do so?

PlayerRep said:
Griz66 said:

I agree with your view on talent.

The talent level is not close to good enough to win the BSC.

Harlan(UU): Immediate national search.
Haslam(UM): Wait a year, with an interim coach, THEN a national search.
:roll:

People do realize that Petrino knew that there would be a national search when given the interim tag, and pushing the search a year was because of the issues with conducting one during the uncertainty and logistical challenges of attempting one during the outbreak of a global pandemic. I fail to see what the uproar is all about.

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:

No. UM should have kept Petrino and its staff and not done a search, in my view. UM is doing a search, so Haslam and the committee should do it quickly and be damn right if they hire someone other than Petrino. If a new coach, hopefully the new coach doesn't lose the momentum built by Petrino and take a year or so to get going,. No, I won't be right now matter what happens. At least, I can articulate a view and say what I have the view. You seem to not be able to provide a view, nor understand mine.

I can articulate and definitively state that our definitions of momentum aren't the same. Didn't Haslam say last year he'd conduct a national search after season was over? Is a first round BSC tourney loss to the last place regulation season team the "momentum" that now has him abandon that plan? And what does "I can articulate the view and say what I have the view" mean? You're right. You're hard to understand.

Haslam doesn't want the prospect of another stain on his CV should he pick Petrino and he falls flat. Remember Stitt? Spread the blame around to 'the committee' for plausible deniability. The thought of being the next AD at someplace like Montana Western might have clouded his judgment. Everything is done virtually anymore, including interviews. Phone interviews have been common since the millenium.

tourist said:
Haslam doesn't want the prospect of a stain on his resume' should he pick Petrino and he falls flat. Spread the blame around to 'the committee' for plausible deniability. The thought of being the next AD at someplace like Montana Western might have clouded his judgment.

Once again, a huge load of bullshit from tourist. The buck stops at Haslem for any coach hiring or firing and the search committee gives him zero plausible deniability, especially a committee that he put together.

Horseshit. Horseshit!!! Be consistent.
I'll take Name that Movie for $2000, Alex. And the clue is: "Oh, blow it out your ass, Howard."

HelenaHandBasket said:
The buck stops at Haslem for any coach hiring or firing and the search committee gives him zero plausible deniability, especially a committee that he put together.

I may not spell Selvig correctly, but it's H-A-S-L-A-M. You either struggled in school during spelling class, or you have a smart phone, like me.
:punch:

HelenaHandBasket said:
People do realize that Petrino knew that there would be a national search when given the interim tag, and pushing the search a year was because of the issues with conducting one during the uncertainty and logistical challenges of attempting one during the outbreak of a global pandemic. I fail to see what the uproar is all about.

The issue has nothing to do with Petrino. It’s what is best for the program at this point in time.

Millions of people were hired during the pandemic. There was no uncertainty that prevented searching for a new coach last year. The logistics were minor. Are you living in the dark age? Have you never heard of technology. Your excuses are a joke.

In my view, you frequently fail to see many things. Also, there is no uproar.

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
No. UM should have kept Petrino and its staff and not done a search, in my view. UM is doing a search, so Haslam and the committee should do it quickly and be damn right if they hire someone other than Petrino. If a new coach, hopefully the new coach doesn't lose the momentum built by Petrino and take a year or so to get going,. No, I won't be right now matter what happens. At least, I can articulate a view and say what I have to support the view. You seem to not be able to provide a view, nor understand mine.

I can articulate and definitively state that our definitions of momentum aren't the same. Didn't Haslam say last year he'd conduct a national search after season was over? Is a first round BSC tourney loss to the last place regulation season team the "momentum" that now has him abandon that plan? And what does "I can articulate the view and say what I have to support the view" mean? You're right. You're hard to understand.

The momentum is the turnaround of the season. Player content. Wins. Style and intensity of the games and season. Transfers. Recruits. Staff. Momentum is never based on one game. It’s clear you never played varsity basketball at the college level.

And, I can support my views. You are type of posters who finds typos. No wonder you never made any money.

The momentum is the turnaround of the season. Player content. Wins. Style and intensity of the games and season. Transfers. Recruits. Staff. Momentum is never based on one game. It’s clear you never played varsity basketball at the college level.

And, I can support my views. You are type of posters who finds typos. No wonder you never made any money.

Please do support your views PR on how a 9-8 conference, 11-11 overall, and 5-4 home record and losing to the worst team in the conference in the first game of the tournament translates into momentum going in to next year. I mean there are some of us who would struggle with that but then there is you. Were all different so support away. And what's up with the "never made any money" crap - sounds kind of irrelevant to me.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

The issue has nothing to do with Petrino. It’s what is best for the program at this point in time.

Millions of people were hired during the pandemic. There was no uncertainty that prevented searching for a new coach last year. The logistics were minor. Are you living in the dark age? Have you never heard of technology. Your excuses are a joke.

In my view, you frequently fail to see many things. Also, there is no uproar.

I am not sure how you see anything with your head in your smug ass. Also, how do you know a national search isn't what is best for the program?

tourist said:
Harlan(UU): Immediate national search.
Haslam(UM): Wait a year, with an interim coach, THEN a national search.
:roll:

I’m 99% certain our board of regents would not allow any national coach searches during this pandemic stuff correct? That is literally the only reason he was not able to do one from the jump correct?

Latest posts

Back