• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

National Search for New Lady Griz Coach

I don't know what the BOR would have to do with this. Boards set policy, not micromanage each unit. Like local school boards, their signing off is a formality. But, I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct.
Besides, I don't recall when the state got all spooky about the dreaded pandemic, which has been super hyped from the beginning. Telephone interviews, video teleconferencing, and the like have all been around for a long time. Can't transmit a virtual virus.

Edit: just did a quick check about statewide response, and you are right. :thumb: This response is a year old now. Eleven months since the Schweyen/Petrino announcement. This state, and our beloved University, is more fucked up than I imagined. Sad.

sdk.catfish said:
The momentum is the turnaround of the season. Player content. Wins. Style and intensity of the games and season. Transfers. Recruits. Staff. Momentum is never based on one game. It’s clear you never played varsity basketball at the college level.

And, I can support my views. You are type of posters who finds typos. No wonder you never made any money.

Please do support your views PR on how a 9-8 conference, 11-11 overall, and 5-4 home record and losing to the worst team in the conference in the first game of the tournament translates into momentum going in to next year. I mean there are some of us who would struggle with that but then there is you. Were all different so support away. And what's up with the "never made any money" crap - sounds kind of irrelevant to me.

At the end of last season, the program was falling apart. Players were leaving the program, and some very good ones left. Many of the players remaining on the team were reportedly unhappy with the coach. Petrino stepped in and started pulling the program back together. Brought in credible transfer or two. Seems to have gotten some good commits for next year. Has a very good staff. Is well-thought of, to my knowledge. This, despite the pandemic, and having to start with a seriously declining program. Losing several games at the end of the season and the tourney game were unfortunate. Ask the players on the team what they think.

Who do you think will come in and do better than Petrino would do next season? And why?

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:
The issue has nothing to do with Petrino. It’s what is best for the program at this point in time.

Millions of people were hired during the pandemic. There was no uncertainty that prevented searching for a new coach last year. The logistics were minor. Are you living in the dark age? Have you never heard of technology. Your excuses are a joke.

In my view, you frequently fail to see many things. Also, there is no uproar.

I am not sure how you see anything with your head in your smug ass. Also, how do you know a national search isn't what is best for the program?

I presented my opinion and provided reasons.

How do you "know" that a national search, at this point, is best for the program?

Why can't you make a comment without being a dick? It's been your trademark from the get-go.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
I am not sure how you see anything with your head in your smug ass. Also, how do you know a national search isn't what is best for the program?

How do you "know" that a national search, at this point, is best for the program?

Why can't you make a comment without being a dick? It's been your trademark from the get-go.

I guess you bring out the best in me. I trust that this process will produce the best person to lead the program, and that could be Petrino. But I don't really see the program at a much better spot than it was a year ago, and other than not being Shannon, which has made some of the players content currently, I am not really sure what he brings to the table.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:

I guess you bring out the best in me. I trust that this process will produce the best person to lead the program, and that could be Petrino. But I don't really see the program at a much better spot than it was a year ago, and other than not being Shannon, which has made some of the players content currently, I am not really sure what he brings to the table.

I have heard a ton of things about the state of the program last April. Not a lot of it good. Some might call what happened to Shannon a mutiny, but nonetheless it colored how Haslam operated last spring. Depending on who you ask or talk to, just prior to her non-renewal there were potentially only 5-7 players on the roster. I think the hiring freeze, the covid-lockdown all motivated Haslam to look internally but you couldn't make that decision without considering what the roster composition was going to look like.

At the time, I thought the decision was a wise one within the lens not of the hiring freeze but rather filling out a roster that would be anywhere close to competitive. Petrino did that and it wasn't an easy task.

Grizfan-24 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I have heard a ton of things about the state of the program last April. Not a lot of it good. Some might call what happened to Shannon a mutiny, but nonetheless it colored how Haslam operated last spring. Depending on who you ask or talk to, just prior to her non-renewal there were potentially only 5-7 players on the roster. I think the hiring freeze, the covid-lockdown all motivated Haslam to look internally but you couldn't make that decision without considering what the roster composition was going to look like.

At the time, I thought the decision was a wise one within the lens not of the hiring freeze but rather filling out a roster that would be anywhere close to competitive. Petrino did that and it wasn't an easy task.

I don't disagree, just not sure how much more he has to offer. I was luke-warm on how I thought he was doing throughout the season and the way it ended sure didn't instill much confidence.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Grizfan-24 said:

I don't disagree, just not sure how much more he has to offer. I was luke-warm on how I thought he was doing throughout the season and the way it ended sure didn't instill much confidence.

How much of that is coaching though? I mean I made the comment on another post that I think you could bring in Phil Jackson and unfortunately the talent on that lady griz is just not going to cut it for a while. It pains me to say it but we literally have a number of NAIA players on the roster. We need a huge increase in talent before any coach is going to have a chance.

April 1, Haslam tells Schweyen she'll get a two year renewal. April 22, she's fired, Petrino interim and national search after the season, which will end eleven months later.
KERFUCKING BOOM!!! To say there is something missing here is a bit of an understatement.

HookedonGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

How much of that is coaching though? I mean I made the comment on another post that I think you could bring in Phil Jackson and unfortunately the talent on that lady griz is just not going to cut it for a while. It pains me to say it but we literally have a number of NAIA players on the roster. We need a huge increase in talent before any coach is going to have a chance.

Well, I would argue that Anderson and Gfeller were the obvious advantage they had against Sac yet instead of looking for them inside, he had no issue with others continuing to jack up triples to the tune of 3-27. I see that as a coaching issue.

tourist said:
April 1, Haslam tells Schweyen she'll get a two year renewal. April 22, she's fired, Petrino interim and national search after the season, which will end eleven months later.
#f##k# BOOM!!! To say there is something missing here is a bit of an understatement.

Oh I think there is, and if you are a conspiracy theorist you can go look at the Iamwith21 Facebook page.

Shannon for all her gifts she had issues inside the locker-room the moment she took over the program. In her four years as head coach she wasn't able to fix that issue. I don't think it was the most direct issue leading to her dismissal but it played a big role in the events that transpired after she was informed and subsequently her team was informed that she would be granted a 2 year extension.

I absolutely believe, because I trust what I have been told, that Haslam mismanaged the SS situation terribly. The situation was allowed to deteriorate to a point that it wasn't reparable in my estimation. I could be all wet on certain parts of it, but Schweyen was given every opportunity to fix things and just couldn't for one reason or many.

As for Petrino, I know some people who hold him in high esteem and absolutely believe he'll be the guy the program absolutely needed that we didn't think it needed. I just don't know if that matches what people want within the athletic department. Like I said before I am absolutely comfortable of giving him the reigns, but if people are convinced someone from the outside is needed for a hard re-set, the situation absolutely dictates that as well. Am I fence sitting, absolutely. I do believe we are going to get some very qualified applicants that would befit the tradition of the program.

HelenaHandBasket said:
HookedonGriz said:

Well, I would argue that Anderson and Gfeller were the obvious advantage they had against Sac yet instead of looking for them inside, he had no issue with others continuing to jack up triples to the tune of 3-27. I see that as a coaching issue.

Okay, using your example.....how do you know for certain Petrino didn’t game plan to get the ball inside, was screaming all game long to get the ball inside, told his girls to quit taking so many 3s and to instead work it in? Like I said when we have NAIA girls shooting 3 for 27 from the three point line I’m not sure that’s on the coach.

HookedonGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Okay, using your example.....how do you know for certain Petrino didn’t game plan to get the ball inside, was screaming all game long to get the ball inside, told his girls to quit taking so many 3s and to instead work it in? Like I said when we have NAIA girls shooting 3 for 27 from the three point line I’m not sure that’s on the coach.

So you are saying that he could not control what the team was doing on the floor? No matter the talent level, a coach needs to game plan to team strengths and match those to opponent weakness. The Sac game was not the only game that it seemed that this was not the case.

Haslam. :roll: Where was he when the injuries started piling up? I know there were plenty on this site wanting him to get to the bottom of it. After three years of SSDD, she gets a one year extension, then the promise of two more years. No wonder players walked away. Nothing will get done, nothing will change. New coach? Maybe. New AD? Who is looking into that?

HelenaHandBasket said:
HookedonGriz said:

I’m not so sure that pounding inside would have been an advantage.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I’m not so sure that pounding inside would have been an advantage.

3-27 sure wasn't.

MissoulaCanucksFan said:
Griz til I die said:
Shall we use this thread to keep track of any potential candidates?
I'm all for it.

Interesting that someone threw in Ryan McCarthy's name here. He's built up a Division 2 power at Alaska-Anchorage (which happens to be a conference rival of MSU-Billings), so I'd be curious to see if UM pursues him. Question is would he be up for leaving Alaska for Montana.

My niece played for McCarthy and was a senior the year UAA took second in the NCAA D2 tournament. Fun fact: Ryan McCarthy was married to Tricia Binford's sister so that would make the rivalry that much more interesting.

rivercat said:
MissoulaCanucksFan said:
I'm all for it.

Interesting that someone threw in Ryan McCarthy's name here. He's built up a Division 2 power at Alaska-Anchorage (which happens to be a conference rival of MSU-Billings), so I'd be curious to see if UM pursues him. Question is would he be up for leaving Alaska for Montana.

My niece played for McCarthy and was a senior the year UAA took second in the NCAA D2 tournament. Fun fact: Ryan McCarthy was married to Tricia Binford's sister so that would make the rivalry that much more interesting.

"was" ? that would be a great match-up, no pun intended.

HelenaHandBasket said:

Now I am sure of Haslams decision, based on precident. He is responsible for putting Delaney in charge of football, supposedly as a place holder until a real head coach could be found, BUT extended him two more fucking years, like he was going to do with SS. Then Stitt happened. :roll: Another waste of three years.
Therefore, Petrino gets a two year contract, and fails, and the same process is repeated. Kicking the can down the road. Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result each time is the definition of _________.

tourist said:
#f##k# BOOM!!! To say there is something missing here is a bit of an understatement.

Coaches need to insist on longer-term contracts. Once the contract expires, all bets are off, no matter what somebody might have “told” you.

Back